PDA

View Full Version : Doc(s) I need your advice - Quikclot Gauze

John W
08-26-11, 15:16
How important are the expiration dates on the quikclot combat gauze? Are they stamped on for health purposes or to sell more products? These are vacuum sealed in original packaging.

I've read from a few of you on here mentioning that OTC meds have a much longer life span (in some cases, 10 years) per an FDA/.mil study. How long do you think the gaze will remain effective?

http://www.unimedmidwest.com/WoundCare/Images/QuikClot.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Hmac
08-26-11, 15:41
Usually the expiration on medical devices is related to the longevity of the packaging rather than the material inside. Over time, the package integrity may degrade and the device lose sterility. I doubt that the package leaking would affect the active ingredient of the QuikClot,(kaolin, which is inert) but might affect the bacteriostatic agent, which is usually silver nanoparticles.

docsherm
08-28-11, 07:41
If you use a food saver and seal them package it will last even longer then the experation date. I have use these products for training and they have been expired for 2 years. They worked just like the new ones.

JDest
08-31-11, 19:22
^That is an extremely interesting idea.

John W
09-02-11, 17:09
Great suggestions. Will be sealing in addition to the packaging for extending shelf life.

Thanks for everyones help.