PDA

View Full Version : Eagle AIII commercial or MR SweatPea

rushca01
08-26-11, 17:23
I'm looking for an everyday do all backpack. I know the two are more like apples and oranges but I can't decide if I want the orange or the apple.

Eagle still makes the commercial AIII which has civilian colors and I knok where to find one in stock. MR has the sweatpea which you can order from them without much issue anytime.

I'm looking for a do all bag, I know it might be asking for something that is not possible but I want to get as close as I can. I want something I can take to them gym everyday, weekend trip, hiking/camping, or to the zoo/park with the family.

I just want a rugged pack that's a jack of all trades and I have narrowed it down to these two. The MR is made here in the US which is a big plus and the Eagle I think is made in the DR, at least the commercial aIII is.

Any suggestions?

Pax
08-27-11, 01:10
No experience with the alternative. I can vouch for the AIII though. Mine has been through more than hell for the last three years and held up excellently. Definitely a product I would buy again. Simple and rugged as a rock.

JohnnyC
08-27-11, 16:31
Keep in mind that the Mystery Ranch is pretty much a duffle Or stuff sack with their 3-way zipper system. It opens up really wide and is easy to stuff things inside, but there really isn't any division. I actually ended up going with the MR RATS pack as a carry-on/edc backpack. I cringed at spending the money but I've been through so much luggage in the past 4 years I finally broke down and got something that will hopefully last the weekly airport crap. The removable pouches are great for organization, something that the Snapdragon is lacking. There's no dedicated laptop slot, and really unless you get something made you've gotta provide your own if you're going to be carrying a computer.

That all said, as a camping/outdoors backpack, they're great. They're easy to take stuff in and out of, they do well with odd shapes, and both the shoulder straps and waistbelt are very comfortable (the padded one) and do not dig in to your shoulders. As an outdoors backpack, they're awesome. As an edc, city-dwelling pack, you're better off with something more traditional. The quality is impeccable, I don't like that they don't offer MOLLE for some of their pouches but overall I've been super happy with my MR stuff. I'm even wearing their hat down here in Monterrey, MX and one of the local security dudes is trying to pry it from me.

rushca01
08-27-11, 17:27
Keep in mind that the Mystery Ranch is pretty much a duffle Or stuff sack with their 3-way zipper system. It opens up really wide and is easy to stuff things inside, but there really isn't any division. I actually ended up going with the MR RATS pack as a carry-on/edc backpack. I cringed at spending the money but I've been through so much luggage in the past 4 years I finally broke down and got something that will hopefully last the weekly airport crap. The removable pouches are great for organization, something that the Snapdragon is lacking. There's no dedicated laptop slot, and really unless you get something made you've gotta provide your own if you're going to be carrying a computer.

That all said, as a camping/outdoors backpack, they're great. They're easy to take stuff in and out of, they do well with odd shapes, and both the shoulder straps and waistbelt are very comfortable (the padded one) and do not dig in to your shoulders. As an outdoors backpack, they're awesome. As an edc, city-dwelling pack, you're better off with something more traditional. The quality is impeccable, I don't like that they don't offer MOLLE for some of their pouches but overall I've been super happy with my MR stuff. I'm even wearing their hat down here in Monterrey, MX and one of the local security dudes is trying to pry it from me.

Johny

Thanks for the comments. This does help me, I think I am looking for a pack to do two things when in realty I need two packs. I have decided to pass on the Snapdragon and now I am looking at the MR Sweatpea and the Eagle AIII commercial. Now I just need to decide if I want the more camping/outdoors pack or the edc pack.

Chris

JohnnyC
08-27-11, 17:37
Chris,

Sorry, I'm an idiot. For whatever reason I though you were looking at the Snapdragon. Reading is fundamental, hooked on phonics, etc. However, the same things apply for the Sweet Pea as the Snapdragon, it's pretty much just a smaller version, so the same applies when it comes to lack of organization. In terms of quality, I don't think you can beat the MR offerings, and I think you hit the nail on the head re:one pack doing two jobs. For EDC, you might look at some of the commercial offerings. They tend to be built well enough for most of the things that you would do day-to-day in am urban environment, and then splurge on the outdoors pack.

rushca01
08-27-11, 17:57
LOL, no you aren't loosing it. I edited my post and changed it from the Snapdragon to the sweatpea :D.

arrigoni
08-29-11, 10:56
I use the SweetPea for my everyday pack.

It'll take the kids to the zoo, take me on a dayhike or light overnighter, carry all my crap to work, and then laugh at me when it's done.

I love this pack. My only gripe is that it's Orange but hey, if I'm snowshoeing I'd much rather be high vis than "tactical" when I get caught in an avalanche. :)

rushca01
08-29-11, 11:07
I use the SweetPea for my everyday pack.

It'll take the kids to the zoo, take me on a dayhike or light overnighter, carry all my crap to work, and then laugh at me when it's done.

I love this pack. My only gripe is that it's Orange but hey, if I'm snowshoeing I'd much rather be high vis than "tactical" when I get caught in an avalanche. :)

Do you find the lack of organization in the MR to be an issue?

arrigoni
08-29-11, 11:10
Do you find the lack of organization in the MR to be an issue?

I haven't. I do have some of my stuff in their own individual pouches, though.

Slopes
08-29-11, 11:33
I own an AIII and have nothing but good to say about it. It's a very simple, nearly indestructible pack.

TWR
08-29-11, 22:11
I've got an Eagle AIII pack that is made in the USA. Son in law carried it as his carry on when they went on vacation this summer and he said it worked great. My other daughter started back to college this year and wound up with alot of big books so I let her use it, since it is bulletproof.

After a couple of days I got en e-mail from Natchez Shooters supplies, they are selling the DR Eage packs for $79.00 (MOLLE version) so I bought her one of her own and reclaimed mine back.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=EYAIIIMSKH&src=tpMfg

For the money, I'd snap up an AIII and go MR only if I needed a bigger pack. I had a Crew Cab for a short time and it wasn't for me but the MR quality was very evident.