PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a safe honeymoon outside the US.

mnoe82
08-26-11, 17:28
Getting married May 2012. Have a budget of 3000-4000 dollars. Looking for an all inclusive, tropical, resort type of place in either a gun friendly or very tourist friendly locale. I don't trust going to Mexico. Any suggestions?

Titleist
08-26-11, 17:33
Aruba seems safe, your wife isn't blonde though, right? :(

Iraqgunz
08-26-11, 17:41
A British guy that works with me is from Barbados and he travels there frequently. He said it is very affordable as well as nice and safe.

I have also known a few that traveled to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic as well and they said the same thing.

In many cases the best deal is to rent an apartment or something which will allow you to cook meals if you desire and relax more so than a hotel type setting. That's we did when we went to Rome for 15 days.

Getting married May 2012. Have a budget of 3000-4000 dollars. Looking for an all inclusive, tropical, resort type of place in either a gun friendly or very tourist friendly locale. I don't trust going to Mexico. Any suggestions?

ghostman1960
08-26-11, 17:41
Niagara Falls. Canadian side.

Palmguy
08-26-11, 17:59
We went to Mexico (Cancun) for our honeymoon a few years ago (January 2008). It was fine but I wouldn't go there today with things how they are in Mexico.

My brother in law went to Punta Cana and it was great from what I've heard. Probably an option in your price range.

The Bahamas would be pretty high on my list if I had it to do over again and wanted a tropical locale.

thopkins22
08-26-11, 18:06
ANYWHERE in the caribbean will be safe. I'd pass on Aruba(though it's certainly not dangerous, drunken college chicks who take ecstasy will be in deep no matter where they go)...in my opinion Aruba has been overdone and lacks the charm that the other islands still have. Think Bonaire and Curacao...not the ones that cater strictly to Americans.

Argentina is wonderful, Chile is wonderful, Brazil is wonderful, Ecuador is wonderful...they're all great and as safe as any major US city. Just leave the expensive jewelry at home and when in doubt ask the concierge...they won't steer you wrong as their jobs and tips depend on it.

These places won't be particularly gun friendly, but they will be safe. I stayed at an incredible resort in Curacao a couple of times while I was living in Venezuela...the sun setting directly over the western facing beach is definitely what you're looking for.

I'll see if I can remember any of the names.

ETA: I said anywhere...but if I was super concerned with safety I'd skip Jamaica and Haiti. ;)

theblackknight
08-26-11, 18:10
I shoot with a guy that has a summer house in costa rica so he can surf in peace haha. He has a permit cause he's a resident.

Ironman8
08-26-11, 18:30

I'm actually getting married in June. We nixed the Cancun idea for St. Thomas. Its pretty affordable and everything I hear about it is good. Really anywhere in the Bahamas or Virgin Islands would be safer than Mexico. I haven't looked into the gun laws though...I'm assuming you can't carry unfortunately....just hope the world doesn't end before then lol :p

Gutshot John
08-26-11, 19:15
I highly recommend Bermuda. Just went there last week. Most everyone there is middle class. Dollars are as good as local currency. No real poverty or crime to mention, great public transportation and very friendly people. Lots of history and fun to be had. All in all it was pretty awesome. Did a lot of diving, it's not exactly cheap (not bad either) but it is safe. Safest place in the western hemisphere outside of Canada. Weapons laws are pretty strict but the crime there is pretty minimal.

We stayed at Grotto Bay and it was quite nice but I'd recommend renting a condo and a scooter to get around.

I've heard great things about Bonaire assuming you're a diver.

jklaughrey
08-26-11, 20:09
+1 for Barbados, been there at least a dozen times. Great atmosphere, still not too touristy. I have friends that are Bajan that live there and here in the States. Plus the women are well...awesome. But you will be married of course!

obucina
08-26-11, 20:45
my friend's parents live in the French West Indies. On Marie Galante, just south of Guadeloupe. A flight from MIA takes about two and half hours. There is a lay over in Port au Prince, but you dont have to get out of the plane until you fly back. MG is a cool little place, its about 8 miles by 12 miles or so. It has three rum distilleries and three main towns. Friends mom is one of the doctors in Grand Bourg, which is the main port for the island. When I was there last summer, we could drive everywhere on the island, go to any beach area, most of which were quite unpopulated, and not be distrurbed. Some of the euro trash like to vacation there, but they dont really bother you, although some pulled up to our beach in a boat actually bumping the night at the roxbury theme. if you want pics, PM me, ill link you to my pics on picasa.

obucina
08-26-11, 20:46
We went to Mexico (Cancun) for our honeymoon a few years ago (January 2008). It was fine but I wouldn't go there today with things how they are in Mexico.

My brother in law went to Punta Cana and it was great from what I've heard. Probably an option in your price range.

The Bahamas would be pretty high on my list if I had it to do over again and wanted a tropical locale.

I would go for La Jolla in the Keys, I can drive anywhere there blind folded!

Cagemonkey
08-27-11, 08:27
My wife and I did a vow renewal at a Sandals Resort in St. Lucia. The people made it clear that St. Lucia wasn't Jamaica. The Sandals Resorts there are relatively close to one another, so you can take a shuttle between them and enjoy each resorts facilities.

usmcvet
08-27-11, 09:13
St. Lucia is wonderful my sister had a destination wedding there. I can not remember the name of the place but can find out for you. It was all inclusive.

The last two years we've gone gone to Oyster Bay Beach Resort, we love it and bought a time share there. It is not all inclusive but each room/suite has a full kitchen and you can shop locally and for reasonable prices. We mixed it up eating in/out.

Here is a link.

:dance3:
http://www.oysterbaybeachresort.com/
:dance3:

We stay at the resort most of the time, you can walk to the beach and several different places to eat. We hung out near the pool with our kids almost all day. Things are not over priced even at the resort a beer from the little store was like $1.25 for a Coors Light, Heineken was even less, closer to a buck.

We stayed on the Dutch Side St Maarten.

mr_smiles
08-27-11, 19:43
Phuket, go to Thailand :D

chadbag
08-27-11, 20:22
Just find some place local to you (within a couple hours drive) at a nice hotel or resort.

Plan your out of the country trip for after you have been married a month or 6.

SteyrAUG
08-27-11, 21:25
My wife and I had fun in Jamaica.

CarlosDJackal
08-29-11, 14:29
- US Virgin Islands (Saint Thomas or Saint Croix)
- The Dominican Republic (my niece is getting married there sometime next year)

Mark71
08-29-11, 16:01
Turks and Caicos is a very nice, safe, and affordable island. I really enjoyed my stay two years ago.

zacbol
08-29-11, 18:27
I was going to say Iceland until I saw the 'tropical' part. I suppose it takes a certain type of individual(s) to do that for a honeymoon, but my wife and I really enjoyed it and even got to see the actively erupting volcano (This was back in April 2010).

I've been scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, been to the Alps of Switzerland, the fjords of Norway, and a few other pretty amazing places and that was bar none the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life.

Definitely not tropical, though (The 3rd photo is not a sunset, that's the erupting volcano in the background).
http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=9533&stc=1&d=1314660209
http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=9534&stc=1&d=1314660209
http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=9535&stc=1&d=1314660209
http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=9536&stc=1&d=1314660209

GermanSynergy
08-29-11, 21:00
OP,
I know you're looking for a tropical destination, but have you considered:

-Hungary (kick ass in every regard)

-Austria (nicer than Germany in many ways)

-Faroe Islands (how many people can say they even went here?)

I guarantee you guys won't forget a honeymoon in the Faroes. You hang out with real Viking descendants and you can buy some cool wool sweaters.

Magic_Salad0892
08-30-11, 05:24
My girlfriend and I spent Christmas in Austria the year (two weeks) after we got together.

It was awesome. I'd go there for a honeymoon if possible.

Never been to Hungary, how was that?

If you want good gun laws, you want Switzerland.

Spurholder
08-30-11, 09:03

Not all inclusive or (for a tourist) gun-friendly, but my wife and I had an absolutely wonderful time in Tuscany.

We stayed in a villa outside of San Gimignano, which is roughly a half-hour drive south of Florence.

Link: http://www.sangimignano.com/sghomei.htm

We visited Siena, Florence, Pisa (yuck, BTW), and the Tuscan countryside in our week there. Great food, lots of vino, etc. There aren't many hotels in the area, but apartments for rent abound:

Link: http://www.tuscany-villas.it/vacation_rentals/57446/1/

We had an absolute blast, and will be going back one day with the kids when they're older.

zacbol
08-30-11, 09:38
Switzerland's a wonderful place to visit (though like my suggestion of Iceland fails the 'tropical' criterion) but the Swiss Franc has recently benefited from a flight to "safety" by much of Europe and taken off, so I don't think 3-4k would go very far there right now. It was pretty damn expensive the last time I was there in December 09, now it's obscene from what I hear.

GermanSynergy
08-30-11, 10:03
Hungary was great. Well worth a visit. The wine, weather and food is great, as well as winery tours.

My girlfriend and I spent Christmas in Austria the year (two weeks) after we got together.

It was awesome. I'd go there for a honeymoon if possible.

Never been to Hungary, how was that?

kwelz
08-30-11, 10:05
It isn't tropical but I can't recommend Tuscany enough.