PDA

View Full Version : "The Ultimate 3-Gun Rifle"

djegators
08-26-11, 17:44
I enjoy being an NRA Life member, and I enjoy American Rifleman magazine, but the article that recently came out about building the ultimate, "no-compromise" AR for 3-gun was a bit off in my opinion. he used mostly DPMS and JP parts. But beyond choosing Gold triggers and ACE stocks, some of the assumptions made seemed to be odd..maybe I'm missing something because I don't know much about 3-gun, but I was shocked that even by the low expectations I have for gun mags, this seemed to be missing the mark by a mile.

The All-Important Lower Receiver
The key to building anything that works well is to start with a solid foundation. You can have the best barrel and optics on your upper, but a poor-quality lower receiver will hinder their performance.

...and so on....

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/building-the-perfect-3-gun-rifle/

Kfgk14
08-26-11, 17:57
While it wasn't the most informative, and I'd go an different route in building a 3 gun rifle which I'd dare call the "Ultimate" I do credit American Rifleman with actually giving the AR-15 serious page space for once.

TomMcC
08-26-11, 17:58
DPMS and JP sponsor a lot of 3-gun, and a considerable portion of 3-gunners are loyal to the sponsors. Having read more than a few threads on comp sites indicating such, and also seeing it at matches.

I've decided not to go the strict gamer gun rout myself, preferring something closer to a fighting rifle, and using that in the games.

SA80Dan
08-26-11, 21:19
DPMS and JP sponsor a lot of 3-gun, and a considerable portion of 3-gunners are loyal to the sponsors. Having read more than a few threads on comp sites indicating such, and also seeing it at matches.

I've decided not to go the strict gamer gun rout myself, preferring something closer to a fighting rifle, and using that in the games.

I have the same philosophy.

I thought the article was ok, but as with 99% of reviews in that magazine it was very much an ad for certain components. Still, as someone else mentioned, nice to see some AR coverage.

zacii
08-26-11, 21:37
I concur.

I considered posting about this article when I read it.

It does certainly look a lot like a DPMS ad...

A Swarovski scope, on a DPMS rifle; seems like an oxymoron.

Robb Jensen
08-26-11, 21:42
Yes I read that article too. There's a lot I disagree with personally. I use a S&B Short Dot 1-4x and a Nightforce NXS 1-4x scope. I use BCM rifles. Geissele SD-3G triggers. I don't care for adjustable gas blocks and gave up on them a few years ago. I currently use a 12.5" BCM midlength SBR for suppressed shooting for 3gun and a 16" BCM SS410 midength for my primary 3gun rifle.

kelly neal
09-01-11, 14:17
I'm not sure what the problem with that article is? It is not about how to build the ultimate fighting rifle or how to use your duty/tactical/zombie killing AR in 3 gun (which you certainly can). It is about putting together the author's perceived ultimate 3 gun competition rifle. And while not the greatest article of all time, it gives pretty good (if expensive) advice.

And he puts together a pretty serious competition rifle capable of winning any 3 gun/practical rifle match out there. DPMS has been a fantastic sponsor of the shooting sports whereas many other builders are conspicous only by their absence. And despite DPMS's lowly position on the sacred chart, many a major 3 gun match has been won with DPMS rifles or rifles with DPMS parts. Plus this rifle is really a JP in DPMS clothing. If anyone doubts JP's standing in the 3 gun world, you really don't 3 gun that much. Don't believe me? Ask Robbie Johnson, Kyle Lamb, Daniel Horner, Kurt Miller, Tony Holmes, Bennie Cooley, Eric Miller, Matt Burkett, Tyler Payne etc. etc. That's a pretty strong group of rifle shooters. The AMU can use literally any rifle in the world and what are they driving? JPs. The author's rifle is fairly close to what Daniel Horner, destroyer of worlds, shoots except Daniel's is a complete JP with a 20 in barrel, Rolling Thunder comp, PM&T stock and no heat sink.

While Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt etc. make fine rifles, has one ever won a major 3 gun match? Not that they are not capable of it but I'm not aware of one doing it. But it begs the question, if JPs win and Noveske/BCM/Colt/Daniel Defense don't, doesn't it make sense for an article about the ultimate 3 Gun AR15 to recommend JP components?

Would I build one the same way? Not exactly but pretty close. I've no need for a BAD, Arrendondo mag well, or AR Gold trigger or the heat sink.

Full disclosure, I have no ties to DPMS but I do with JP.

sgtjosh
09-01-11, 16:42
I enjoy being an NRA Life member, and I enjoy American Rifleman magazine, but the article that recently came out about building the ultimate, "no-compromise" AR for 3-gun was a bit off in my opinion. he used mostly DPMS and JP parts. But beyond choosing Gold triggers and ACE stocks, some of the assumptions made seemed to be odd..maybe I'm missing something because I don't know much about 3-gun, but I was shocked that even by the low expectations I have for gun mags, this seemed to be missing the mark by a mile.

...and so on....

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/building-the-perfect-3-gun-rifle/

I read the same article until I could not read it any more. My neck is sore from shaking my head in disbelief that such nonsense was put in print. Keep in mind that The NRA will never badmouth anybody in the industry.