PDA

View Full Version : Issue with P226 mags

Carniemedic
08-27-11, 08:50
I have been having a problem with my Sig P226 9mm mags. It’s a newer pistol but I have had about 800 flawless rounds fired with WWB and PCM ammo. I first noticed a problem with about 6 failures to feeds using Aguila ammo. I thought that the failures were caused by the dimpled ring on the brass that’s just below the bullet catching on the feed lip of the mag. Just to make sure that my mags weren’t dirty I broke them down and cleaned them. I wiped them out with a clean rag to make sure there was no dirt or oil in them. Just to be safe I ordered (3) 18 round Mec-gar mags and did a side by side comparison yesterday. I shot 45 rounds of Brown Bear out of 3 factory mags, and 45 Brown Bear out of 3 Mec-gar. I had 4 FTF out of the factory mags and none out of the Mec-gar. Then I shot 110 more with the Mec-gar and had no issues. What do you guys think is causing this problem? I’m thinking it’s the rough phosphate type coating on the inside of the factory mags but I’m not sure. If that is the problem how can I fix it? Is there someone I can send them to, to tune them up or to refinish them like the anti-friction coating on the Mec-gar mags?

08-27-11, 09:21
I have been having a problem with my Sig P226 9mm mags. It’s a newer pistol but I have had about 800 flawless rounds fired with WWB and PCM ammo. I first noticed a problem with about 6 failures to feeds using Aguila ammo. I thought that the failures were caused by the dimpled ring on the brass that’s just below the bullet catching on the feed lip of the mag. Just to make sure that my mags weren’t dirty I broke them down and cleaned them. I wiped them out with a clean rag to make sure there was no dirt or oil in them. Just to be safe I ordered (3) 18 round Mec-gar mags and did a side by side comparison yesterday. I shot 45 rounds of Brown Bear out of 3 factory mags, and 45 Brown Bear out of 3 Mec-gar. I had 4 FTF out of the factory mags and none out of the Mec-gar. Then I shot 110 more with the Mec-gar and had no issues. What do you guys think is causing this problem? I’m thinking it’s the rough phosphate type coating on the inside of the factory mags but I’m not sure. If that is the problem how can I fix it? Is there someone I can send them to, to tune them up or to refinish them like the anti-friction coating on the Mec-gar mags?

Sir, it may be the coating on the inside. Sometimes some fine steel wool and oil will smooth out the finish, removes rust also. Check your springs, weak springs can cause malfunctions, get some +10% mag springs from Wolff gun springs.

adrenaline151
08-27-11, 10:09
Are the factory mags the newer Checkmate mags? If they are you might be able to call Sig and get them to replace them with the MecGar mags. I just bought a P226 and was afraid that it would come with the Checkmates, but it had MecGars. (Pistol dated Sept., '10)
Not sure exactly when Sig switched to Checkmate.

Carniemedic
08-27-11, 12:05
Are the factory mags the newer Checkmate mags? If they are you might be able to call Sig and get them to replace them with the MecGar mags. I just bought a P226 and was afraid that it would come with the Checkmates, but it had MecGars. (Pistol dated Sept., '10)
Not sure exactly when Sig switched to Checkmate.
I think that they might be Checkmates, but I'm not sure. I bought the pistol new early this year. On one side they say made in USA, and the other Sig Sauer P226. If they are Checkmates did Sig recal them? If not should I just call Sig and basically just say that these mags suck and please replace them?

adrenaline151
08-27-11, 12:22
If they say USA, they are Checkmate. The MecGars are made in Italy. My plan was to give the Checkmates a shot, and if they were junk, call Sig and ask that they be replaced with MecGars. If Sig flat out refused, I was just going to bite the bullet and buy the MecGars myself.

SkiDevil
08-27-11, 12:23
Sir, it may be the coating on the inside. Sometimes some fine steel wool and oil will smooth out the finish, removes rust also. Check your springs, weak springs can cause malfunctions, get some +10% mag springs from Wolff gun springs.

Solid advice. Order the spring replacements from Wolff. That is most likely your problem.

P.S. If the magazines are Checkmate (USA) then I would reserve them for range/ practice use only and find some genuine original Meg-car produced SIG mags or just purchase more of the new Meg-car brand variety.

FWIW, I had some older SIG 15 rd mags that started to become problematic. I replaced the springs with Wolff and never had another issue with those mags.

Link: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27358/Product/SEMI_AUTO_EXTRA_POWER_MAGAZINE_SPRINGS

Carniemedic
08-27-11, 12:28
Thanks for the advice guys, I will cal Sig Monday and see what they will do. If I'm stuck with them I will buy more Meg-gars and might try out some +10 springs for the checkmates.

Tiny86
08-27-11, 13:06
I have been running Mec gar mags in my 226 for 8 years and had no problems. I ordered a 20 rounder from Sig and I think it is a Checkmate. It was garbage!! The follower was pathetic. From everything I have seen, as long as you stick with Mec gar you will be fine.

08-27-11, 13:28
SIG is using Checkmate as factory mags?! They have fallen far, very far. Mec-Gar's are solid mags, the only issues I've ever heard of have been with their government model 1911 mags.