PDA

View Full Version : Please excuse my ingnorance....

TedG
08-27-11, 13:33
This is a Noveske 14.5" carbine. I believe it looks as if it has a carbine length gas system, yet Noveske only advertises mid-length gas systems. Which is it?
:help:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/N4-6.jpg

justin_247
08-27-11, 13:36
It's a carbine-length. Only recently has Noveske switched to mid-length for 14.5" guns.

Stickman
08-27-11, 13:43
The image you are showing is that of an older weapon not currently in production.

Clint
08-27-11, 13:43
Ted,

One trick you can use to figure length is count the lugs on the top rail.

They are as good as a tape measure.

TedG
08-27-11, 13:56
Thanks.

I think I'll keep it anyway. :lol:

justin_247
08-27-11, 14:08
Thanks.

I think I'll keep it anyway. :lol:

That's a very nice weapon you have. Enjoy it!

GeorgiaBoy
08-27-11, 14:20
Looks good regardless!

jet80tv
08-27-11, 14:34
Jeez why does it seem like you guys treat or refer the carbine length gas system as if it's a disease, if midlength was so great wouldn't they have created that first? I like carbine length and midlength systems as well. It's like saying KNS pins are no good unless you have full auto, then carbine systems are not problematic unless in full auto right?

richdkim77
08-27-11, 15:02
I like carbine length and midlength systems as well. It's like saying KNS pins are no good unless you have full auto

This is not a good analogy.

SW-Shooter
08-27-11, 15:27
This is not a good analogy.

Yes it is. Midlength uppers are the new kid on the block, compared to others (full, carbine). Remember that before we knock midlength over carbine.

Has anyone ever done a hardcore head to head? I doubt the differences would have any real significance.

richdkim77
08-27-11, 15:51
Yes it is. Midlength uppers are the new kid on the block, compared to others (full, carbine). Remember that before we knock midlength over carbine.

Has anyone ever done a hardcore head to head? I doubt the differences would have any real significance.

You missed the boat my friend. Some people see real value over middys vs carbine. KNS pins on the other hand have limited to no use for most.

120mm
08-28-11, 01:09
Jeez why does it seem like you guys treat or refer the carbine length gas system as if it's a disease, if midlength was so great wouldn't they have created that first? I like carbine length and midlength systems as well. It's like saying KNS pins are no good unless you have full auto, then carbine systems are not problematic unless in full auto right?

Where did this insane over-reaction come from?

Hyperbole much?

FChen17213
08-28-11, 01:21
I might be totally wrong but the original carbine length gas systems were sporting 14.5" barrels for CAR-15s and 10.3" barrels with long flash hiders for XM177-E2s guns. Due to NFA law however, civilian carbine versions sported 16" barrels. All they did was lengthen the barrel for legal reasons. As a result, the dwell time increased in the system. Due to the increase in dwell time, there was more un-neccessary wear and tear on the parts.

Thus, for the civilian market, someone thought about fixing this problem and building a system around a 16" barrel. This is where the mid-length comes from. You have less dwell time and a longer gas tube.

Now I may be completely wrong here, but this is my understanding of the gas systems. Someone please correct me if I am incorrect.

rob_s
08-28-11, 04:42
Where did this insane over-reaction come from?

Hyperbole much?

Agree. Sounds like someone had some pent-up frustration that busted loose in the wrong place. I didn't see anyone in this thread saying anything about carbine vs. mid-length gas systems other than to say that the gun in question was carbine-length and no longer in production as Noveske has changed to mid-lengths for all of their 14.5" and 16" barrels.

Spiffums
08-28-11, 06:48
Mid vs Car....... HULK MAD! HULK SMASH!

Short version......

usmcvet
08-28-11, 09:51
Carbine length gas systems Suck. :sarcastic: I will take all yours and dispose of them properly.

Todd.K
08-28-11, 11:35
The carbine gas system was designed for the 10" Commando. 14.5" and 16" barrels came later and used the existing gas system rather than make a new length like mid (they also tried 16" with rifle gas). Carbine isn't bad on a 14.5" but you can't claim it was designed for that length.

A quality 14.5" with carbine gas and mil spec port size is perfectly serviceable, but...
Gas port erosion is greater the shorter the gas system. Extraction is harder.