PDA

View Full Version : Mac users! Recommend me a DVD copying software please.

nickdrak
08-27-11, 20:36
Just want to make copies of some DVD's I have. Google only comes up with a bunch of shady looking ads when I search for reviews. Thanks in advance.

Stay safe,
Nick

Hmac
08-27-11, 20:39
I have Wondershare, which works well for decrypting and ripping. And there's always Handbrake for ripping + VLC for decrypting. Both of those latter two are free.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-27-11, 21:20
On the pay version of Wondershare, will it rip copy encrypted DVD's, like say the ones I buy from Best Buy?

Fried Chicken Blowout
08-27-11, 21:22
Free software that I use a lot...

Mac The Ripper

HandBrake

SimplyBurns

Hmac
08-27-11, 23:47
On the pay version of Wondershare, will it rip copy encrypted DVD's, like say the ones I buy from Best Buy?

Yes, but it's true that Handbrake + VLC does too.

Honu
08-28-11, 00:00
MTR 4.0 seems to do the best
also called Mac The Ripper
also search for a thing called Fairmount as a way to mount and then other ways of copying DVD material to make Back Ups

I keep all my DVDs but rip them all so they are on our media server

Hmac
08-28-11, 06:56

Me too. With AppleTV boxes on all the TVs. All the music, photos, videos immediately available throughout the house, and transferred to the iPad for when I travel. I do find myself downloading more movies rather than buying them these days, though.

platoonDaddy
08-28-11, 07:04
I use Disk Utility (part of MAC OS) for copying of unprotected DVD's

Link gives you examples of making copies:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=972

chadbag
08-28-11, 10:45
MTR 4.0 seems to do the best
also called Mac The Ripper
also search for a thing called Fairmount as a way to mount and then other ways of copying DVD material to make Back Ups

+100

MTR works fine for me. I rip the DVDs and then put the DVDs away so that the kids don't touch them.

Handbrake works fine if you want compressed video files afterwards (use MTR first on them to update certain features of the files)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-28-11, 12:00
I tried the Handbrake route, it couldnt rip at all. I'll try Mac The Ripper next...

Hmac
08-28-11, 15:29
I tried the Handbrake route, it couldnt rip at all. I'll try Mac The Ripper next...

Was it a DRM DVD? If so, you have to decrypt it with VLC before you will be able to rip it.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-28-11, 16:01
I downloaded MTR and VLC, I've got the Muppet's Christmas Carol on my macbook pro now ha ha.

So, now that Ive done that, how do I get the ripped file onto Ipods, DVDs, and externals?

(You guys are awesome, thanks for the help!)

Hmac
08-28-11, 16:49
I downloaded MTR and VLC, I've got the Muppet's Christmas Carol on my macbook pro now ha ha.

So, now that Ive done that, how do I get the ripped file onto Ipods, DVDs, and externals?

I always use Quicktime 7 Pro for transcoding. You can download Quicktime 7, but Pro is a $29 upgrade (no such upgrade available for Quicktime 10).

http://SSEquine.net/outputformats.jpg

But MTR should allow you to select multiple output formats when you rip the movie. Assuming you ripped it to .m4v format, just drag it into the movies window in iTunes, check the box to make sure it gets synced, then sync the iPod. I don't know about MTR, but most of the other rippers have a choice of output format. I click iPhone/iPod for those devices and AppleTV for iPad and Television. For DVDs, you'll need additional software. I use both Roxio Toast and Roxio Popcorn.

Honu
08-29-11, 03:41
+100

MTR works fine for me. I rip the DVDs and then put the DVDs away so that the kids don't touch them.

Handbrake works fine if you want compressed video files afterwards (use MTR first on them to update certain features of the files)

yup similar to me ;)

my setup is rip them and they go on a computer with PLEX
http://www.plexapp.com/

then handbrake onto the computer movie only for the kids and we have apple TV on each TV that way the kids now how to work it and we have only kid friendly stuff in the Itunes to share makes it more kid friendly :) also can stream for the Ipad as the kids like watching it that way :)

Honu
08-29-11, 03:42

Handbrake :) once its ripped and decoded is the best bet nice easy presets for devices and nice interface etc..