PDA

View Full Version : SHTF rifle mod suggestions needed

sigchaser
11-07-07, 07:39
Hi everyone, I have a Rock River Arms Car A-4 already and have made the decision to make it into a SHTF gun. What I am looking for are opinions, here is a list of what I am thinking about doing.
1) RRA dominator mount
2) Eotec
3) Surefire Quad Rail
4) Surefire M910A

Nothing is engraved in stone on this list I am open to suggestions in fact thats why I came here. If you have any experience with these products please let me know. I am especially interested in opinions on the dominator mount as it is supposed to co-wittness the eotec. If you want to suggest somthing else then please do, my only request is that you give me a reason as to why that is the way to go. I am trying to keep the build to under $1200 or so. Thanks for your help.

ST911
11-07-07, 09:40
For a gun I'd want in my hands when the S is H'ing TF, I would stake the pertinents and ream the chamber first. Attach a SF light of some sort. Attach an Aimpoint if you like. I'd also ditch the RRA two-stage if so equipped for a standard GI-type single.

KevinB
11-07-07, 11:12
I dont like the design of the Dominator mounts -- its only one the one side at the rear by the sight. If your set on the EOTECH - I'd got with the Larue EO mount and a TROY rear BIS.

The SF rail system is not a great design either -- I'd go with a KAC, or Larue rail.

I prefer the SF Scout light - even a SF G2 in a DD mount is a light and cheap way to get a robust light,

I'm not a fan of your base gun either - but you already have it...

Don G.
11-07-07, 13:50
Content deleted.

jhs1969
11-07-07, 15:03
I would go for an Aimpoint, I've got one on my M4. I've had the Eotech, they don't float my boat. I think there is a thread in the Optics board that compares these two optics. You're on the right track. This is a good site to investigate before dropping a dime.

Rik
11-07-07, 16:37
* iron sights with tritium inserts (http://www.trijicongunsights.com/item.aspx?PID=10082) - they keep you in the dark
* functional flash hider (phantom/vortex) - don't give the other side an aiming point at night
* Daniel Defense Omega - free float, no mods to the rifle, light weight, good price

strongisland
11-07-07, 17:09
+1 for the D.D. Omega Rail. Nice!!!!!

C4IGrant
11-07-07, 18:03
Hi everyone, I have a Rock River Arms Car A-4 already and have made the decision to make it into a SHTF gun. What I am looking for are opinions, here is a list of what I am thinking about doing.
1) RRA dominator mount
2) Eotec
3) Surefire Quad Rail
4) Surefire M910A

Nothing is engraved in stone on this list I am open to suggestions in fact thats why I came here. If you have any experience with these products please let me know. I am especially interested in opinions on the dominator mount as it is supposed to co-wittness the eotec. If you want to suggest somthing else then please do, my only request is that you give me a reason as to why that is the way to go. I am trying to keep the build to under $1200 or so. Thanks for your help.

The definition of a "SHTF" weapon is something that is very reliable and uses high quality parts. Not to be rude, but you RRA does not meet these requirements.

So if I owned your weapon, I would do the following:

1. Stake your gas key.
2. Add a black extractor insert and Crane O-ring.
3. Buy spare extractor inserts, extractor springs and buffer springs.
4. Buy a spare bolt, firing pin and charging handle.
5. Buy a quality flashlight. SureFire weapons lights are a good choice.
6. EOTech or Aimpoint are good choices.
7. Quality rail, Daniel Defense, KAC, LaRue, VLTOR.
8. Carbine training classes.

C4

jacketch
11-07-07, 18:39
The definition of a "SHTF" weapon is something that is very reliable and uses high quality parts. Not to be rude, but you RRA does not meet these requirements.

So if I owned your weapon, I would do the following:

1. Stake your gas key.
2. Add a black extractor insert and Crane O-ring.
3. Buy spare extractor inserts, extractor springs and buffer springs.
4. Buy a spare bolt, firing pin and charging handle.
5. Buy a quality flashlight. SureFire weapons lights are a good choice.
6. EOTech or Aimpoint are good choices.
7. Quality rail, Daniel Defense, KAC, LaRue, VLTOR.
8. Carbine training classes.

C4

Training can never be overemphasized.

JimmyB62
11-07-07, 22:37
My Surefire rail appears to be out of spec on the large size(the dovetails are too large). Mounted gear tends to fit on the sloppy side. I compromised on what I wanted to save a few bucks and in the end will cost me. Always a sad story............

Shihan
11-07-07, 23:40
My Surefire rail appears to be out of spec on the large size(the dovetails are too large). Mounted gear tends to fit on the sloppy side. I compromised on what I wanted to save a few bucks and in the end will cost me. Always a sad story............

Send it back to Surefire im sure they will do something for you.

carbinero
11-08-07, 01:38
If you mount a SF G2, do you need to use a shock mod?

Robb Jensen
11-08-07, 04:50

On an AR no, but its always a good idea.

KintlaLake
11-08-07, 05:49
On an AR no, but its always a good idea.

Explain "shock mod," please. Bezel?

Robb Jensen
11-08-07, 06:52
Explain "shock mod," please. Bezel?

Yes it's the bezels that are on my G2s here for sale.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/for%20sale/surefireG2s005.jpg

carbinero
11-08-07, 08:19
Are VFG-flashlight holders reliable? They seem like a good idea--your weak hand is naturally at the switch, no wires required--but I've never seen them recommended here or at TOS...

C4IGrant
11-08-07, 08:28

SF rails tend to vary somewhat on the rail specs. This of course really only matters if you are wanting to use a TD VG.

C4

C4IGrant
11-08-07, 08:29

You do not have too, but it is a good idea. The bezel you want is the SF Z32.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SF/SF%20Z32%20shock%20isolated%20bezel.jpg

C4IGrant
11-08-07, 08:30
Are VFG-flashlight holders reliable? They seem like a good idea--your weak hand is naturally at the switch, no wires required--but I've never seen them recommended here or at TOS...

They have always looked weak and cheap to me. Someone on here had one and said that it didn't function all that well.

C4

sigchaser
11-08-07, 10:43
Why isn't the RRA considered a good weapon? I looked around alot before I bought it, the Bushmaster felt cheap to me Stag Arms was having some problems at the time and the Colt well when I picked up and felt several of them thy all rattled like a bag of bolts. The reason I chose the RRA was because it felt tight, was 5.56 instead of 223 and due to the fact that it passed all of the DEA criteria testing, (I know quite a few LEOs with this gun who have never experienced any problems.) I mean I know it's not a Lesbare but that was out of reach for me.

As to the training I am and will continue to trian with stock sights, because they are the most reliable sight anyone could ask for but I do find optics to be quicker, so I felt they would be a good addition. The light to me is a no brainer at night you stil need to ID your target, so a white light is a must and one attached to the weapon just makes life easier. The reason that I would like a vertical foregrip is because I just find it more comfortable to use the weapon. I already have a good amount of ammunition and ten mags (but I would like more) and as to training I am always trying to learn something new, I would love to attend a class but my work hours won't permit it so for now I will have to be content with reading about different tactics and trying them on my own.

rob_s
11-08-07, 10:52
Why isn't the RRA considered a good weapon? I looked around alot before I bought it, the Bushmaster felt cheap to me Stag Arms was having some problems at the time and the Colt well when I picked up and felt several of them thy all rattled like a bag of bolts. The reason I chose the RRA was because it felt tight, was 5.56 instead of 223 and due to the fact that it passed all of the DEA criteria testing, (I know quite a few LEOs with this gun who have never experienced any problems.) I mean I know it's not a Lesbare but that was out of reach for me.
The answers to all of this are posted all over this site.

To sum up, the "felt tight" test is not one that most of the membership here use to evaluate a firearm they intend to use for defensive purposes. I, for one, will take a Colt that "rattled like a bag of bolts" over an RRA that "felt tight" and "passed all of the DEA criteria testing".

As to "I know quite a few LEOs with this gun who have never experienced any problems", if you never fire your gun, it never has problems, right? ;)

Submariner
11-08-07, 11:35
As to "I know quite a few LEOs with this gun who have never experienced any problems", if you never fire your gun, it never has problems, right? ;)

That's cruel.:eek:

But, oh, so true!

scottryan
11-08-07, 11:51
The reason I chose the RRA was because it felt tight, was 5.56 instead of 223

All the others you looked at were also 5.56.

Out of the four brands you looked at, RRA should have been your last choice.

C4IGrant
11-08-07, 12:02

First, have you read this (or at least looked at the chart)? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Do you realize the play between uppers and lowers matter for nothing? Exterior fit/finish also matters not. The chambers on the RRA AR's tend to be on the .223 wylde side VS 556. I have put my 556 reamer in many of them only to find that they were not 556 chambers.

The DEA testing was pretty much a joke. Never follow what a .Gov agency is buying for weapons as they are always after the cheapest thing they can find.

Of the LEO's that you know that own RRA's ask them how many rounds they have through them and if they have ever taken them through any carbine schools.

As to the training I am and will continue to trian with stock sights, because they are the most reliable sight anyone could ask for but I do find optics to be quicker, so I felt they would be a good addition. The light to me is a no brainer at night you stil need to ID your target, so a white light is a must and one attached to the weapon just makes life easier. The reason that I would like a vertical foregrip is because I just find it more comfortable to use the weapon. I already have a good amount of ammunition and ten mags (but I would like more) and as to training I am always trying to learn something new, I would love to attend a class but my work hours won't permit it so for now I will have to be content with reading about different tactics and trying them on my own.

Everyone should be good with iron sights, but dot optics give you the shooter DRAMATIC advantages. This is why the Military has basically put them on every weapon made.

C4

KintlaLake
11-08-07, 12:17
I'm not in a position to offer advice here, sigchaser -- that'd take me way out of my lane, and there's plenty of experience here on M4Carbine.net to advise you. I will, however, tell you how I'm approaching this.

My "SHTF gun" is the gun I have when the SHTF.

Not having the ideal "SHTF gun" becomes so much spilled milk at that point. Whatever gun I have has to be as reliable as it can be, and I have to know just how reliable it is.

These forums have been a good source of info about upgrading a less-than-ideal gun (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376). And if, before the SHTF, my gun's reliability becomes unacceptable to me, I'll go back to The Chart (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642) and consider something to the left of what I own now.

My "SHTF skills" are the skills I have when the SHTF.

If I don't have the skills to use my "SHTF gun" to defend what I value, that gun will be about as useful as a Little League bat. Like acquiring any skill, my approach begins with familiarity, strives for proficiency, and pursues mastery.

For me, that means getting enough trigger time at my local range to become familiar with my gun and gear, then spending time with the best trainers I can afford, then more trigger time and more training. An invaluable benefit of training, I'm told, will be learning the strong and weak points of my gun and gear.

Gun, add-ons, training, ammo, practice...all are hostage, of course, to the rest of my life, including my budget.

In sum, then, after spending a lot of time in these forums, I'm developing an intelligent adult's working knowledge of what makes one gun better than another -- I humbly defer to the pros' and serious shooters' knowledge and experience.

All the same, I lose no sleep pining for an ideal "SHTF gun," nor do I consider myself somehow defenseless 'til I have one. I have much to learn, and I accept that I'll be learning -- and, if the SHTF today, defending myself -- with what I have.

YMMV.

ddemis
11-08-07, 13:16
I don't think you made a bad choice in your purchase of RRa m-4. I have the same rifle and it works great.All the LEO's I know and work with train on them and the Nevada highway patrol have them in the trunk of all their cars. I do agree with Grant you need to have a extra bolt and extrctor upgrade. As for optics I used to have a Eotech but switched to a Burris speed dot,for me it was just simple to find a single dot and fire. I also installed a set of Trijicon night sights and Surefire g-2 nitrolon and mounted it with a Veltor G series scout mount. For pic rail stick with something light and compact like Daniel Defense lite rail. Then train,train and train some more. Happy shooting!

scottryan
11-08-07, 17:03
have them in the trunk of all their cars.

There is a reason for that.

jacketch
11-08-07, 17:06
I already have a good amount of ammunition and ten mags (but I would like more) and as to training I am always trying to learn something new, I would love to attend a class but my work hours won't permit it so for now I will have to be content with reading about different tactics and trying them on my own.

That's like saying you have a tennis racket and plan to learn to play tennis by watching TV.

Nothing can compare to the lessons learned in a quality training environment. You will learn weapon handling in unusual circumstances and environments, failure drills, rifle and pistol craft, what equipment is best, what equipment does NOT work and how much you really don't know. It is always very humbling but also enlightening. Anyone who asks questions on the internet about "what weapon or equipment" is a prime candidate for training.

And remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people:D

C4IGrant
11-09-07, 08:33
I don't think you made a bad choice in your purchase of RRa m-4. I have the same rifle and it works great.All the LEO's I know and work with train on them and the Nevada highway patrol have them in the trunk of all their cars. I do agree with Grant you need to have a extra bolt and extrctor upgrade. As for optics I used to have a Eotech but switched to a Burris speed dot,for me it was just simple to find a single dot and fire. I also installed a set of Trijicon night sights and Surefire g-2 nitrolon and mounted it with a Veltor G series scout mount. For pic rail stick with something light and compact like Daniel Defense lite rail. Then train,train and train some more. Happy shooting!

BM's/RRA/OLY/DPMS are wide spread through out the LE world. The reason for it is that Colt's are not available and everything else is. Remember that ALL weapons perform well sitting in the patrol car's trunk.

Your AR might very well run perfectly for you. Time and lot of training classes is really the only way your going to know though.

C4

adh
11-12-07, 09:21
The SF rail system is not a great design either -- I'd go with a KAC, or Larue rail.

Kevin,

Curious about your opinion on the SF rail. I know that its top rail is not at the same plane as the rail of a flat top receiver, but if all the end user wants is the rail to mount a light and a VFG, and no aiming device, I was under the impression that the SF rail is a pretty good choice consdering they lock up tight and can be found used for a good price (lowest I remember seeing is $115 on that other site). A KAC rail is going to be a good deal more than that.

Thanks

ADH

markm
11-12-07, 10:36
Once you go KAC, you'll never go BACK. :p

Henchman
11-12-07, 22:49
BM's/RRA/OLY/DPMS are wide spread through out the LE world. The reason for it is that Colt's are not available and everything else is. Remember that ALL weapons perform well sitting in the patrol car's trunk.

Your AR might very well run perfectly for you. Time and lot of training classes is really the only way your going to know though.

C4

Grant that is a very good point. I was quoted a year on Colt rifles for an LE order.

KevinB
11-12-07, 23:31
WRT the SF rail -- it tensions off the front handguard cap
Grant has some KAC seconds (off spec color on the annodizing) My opinion is buy cheap buy twice.

adh
11-13-07, 09:18
WRT the SF rail -- it tensions off the front handguard cap
Grant has some KAC seconds (off spec color on the annodizing) My opinion is buy cheap buy twice.

Gotcha - if nothing else, I can see how the tension on the cap is going to affect your POI ad if not a constant tension then POI would shift

ST911
11-13-07, 09:43
Grant that is a very good point. I was quoted a year on Colt rifles for an LE order.

Agency or i/o? Which model? Factory direct?

A recent mixed buy of agency 6520s and 6920s shipped within a week. Various dealers contacted all had them available.

toddackerman
11-13-07, 13:44

If you go with LaRue mounts, you can take out the looseness of the non Mil. Spec rails by adjusting the mount accordingly.

User Name
11-13-07, 20:57
From an Eotech fan. I'd go with an Aimpoint M3 personally.

Henchman
11-14-07, 00:07
Agency or i/o? Which model? Factory direct?

A recent mixed buy of agency 6520s and 6920s shipped within a week. Various dealers contacted all had them available.

It was for an agency purchase. That was the time frame I was quoted from a distributor earlier this year.

sigchaser
11-16-07, 12:18
Well this discusion has at least made one thing clear to me. The AR is obviously not the patform that I thought it was, if the weapns are as tempermental as all the post indicate then it is not somthing I would want to bet my life on reguardless of who made it, although there is no excuse for any rifle that costs as much as these do to have these problems. So with that being said I guess I will transition to a more reliable platform such as the AK or a Main Battle Rifle type. Since those appear to function reliably and are chambered for a round that is proven to work much more effectivly then the 5.56. I thank you all for your help in showing me what a poor choice I made in purchasing an AR.

carbinero
11-16-07, 12:41
Hunh. I'm new to the platform and didn't take away that indication at all. It's just that certain brands are more likely to last much longer with less fixing. Perhaps it's worth considering these folks often discuss hard use in multi-day classes with thousands of rounds expended. I won't speculate on the odds of an AK, FAL or M1A never to fail at some point under the same use, but suffice it to say that for me, I'm happy with the AR for defense, range, and hunting.

C4IGrant
11-16-07, 13:17
Well this discusion has at least made one thing clear to me. The AR is obviously not the patform that I thought it was, if the weapns are as tempermental as all the post indicate then it is not somthing I would want to bet my life on reguardless of who made it, although there is no excuse for any rifle that costs as much as these do to have these problems. So with that being said I guess I will transition to a more reliable platform such as the AK or a Main Battle Rifle type. Since those appear to function reliably and are chambered for a round that is proven to work much more effectivly then the 5.56. I thank you all for your help in showing me what a poor choice I made in purchasing an AR.

I think you might be mistaken with your reliability comment. Those of us that log thousand's of rounds down range and commit to hundreds of hours of training a year know that the AR platform is very reliable.

You have to remember that ALL weapons malfunction from time to time. It is true that some do it more than others, but if you do your part and keep up with weapons PM's and use proper lube then the chances of a malfunction are much less IMHO.

As a Civy, you have take a close look at your weapons fragmentation capability as over pentration should be a SERIOUS concern. With that said, TAP 75gr and BH 77gr MK's are an outstanding choice for personal defense. These rounds have proven to be very lethal and to not over penetrate. I would never choose any 7.62 round for home defense.

C4

Jay Cunningham
11-16-07, 13:20
The AK is not a more reliable platform than the AR, but it is more robust. There is a difference.

A properly spec'd and maintained AR is extremely reliable.

Don G.
11-16-07, 14:42
Content deleted.

KevinB
11-16-07, 14:51

Dude -- a good AR is an excellent choice.
I've shot people with 7.62x39 -- and would not use the cartidge given a choice -- and in the range most people would use a self defence weapon the 7.62mm is a poor choice due to recoil and penetration.

The issue with the AR family is too many of the manufactuers beleive in cheap parts and maufacturer and negligent states of qulaity control.
An AR by a reliable manufacturer will go for 10's of thousands of rounds, only needing the occassional part (bolts from 5k to 10k and barrels from 10-20 - dpending on your barrel length and firing schedules)

R Moran
11-16-07, 18:36

I would almost throw the troll flag, but, I won't.

The Ak and "battle rifles" may appear to be more reliable and effective, but that's it, they appear that way. Its all to en vogue to bash the AR and 5.56.

You never really hear about the others failing, but they surely do.

A poorly built weapond, regardless of an AR, AK, M14 etc, is just that, a poorly built weapon, and it will not perform satisfactorily.

The graveyards are full fo men put there by the 5.56, I don't want to get shot by it.
To quote a co-worker, a vet of the 173dABN, circa 1967, when I asked him, his thoughts on the effectivness of the 5.56,....."we needed bulldosers, to put all the bodies in the ground".

Buy an AR built for gunfighting and not for sales, and it will be fine.

Bob

Don Robison
11-16-07, 19:33

The AR platform isn't a poor choice. Cheap parts poorly assembled is the poor choice. As Kevin said "buy cheap buy twice". Words to live by.

davemcdonald
11-16-07, 19:53
This is just my opinion but:

I think 85% of the issues on TOS could be resolved with the info in Kevin's paragraph and LUBE!

Dave

"The issue with the AR family is too many of the manufactuers beleive in cheap parts and maufacturer and negligent states of qulaity control.
An AR by a reliable manufacturer will go for 10's of thousands of rounds, only needing the occassional part (bolts from 5k to 10k and barrels from 10-20 - dpending on your barrel length and firing schedules)" - KevinB

edited to add that the other 15% are jackassery issues

scottryan
11-16-07, 20:10
This is just my opinion but:

I think 85% of the issues on TOS could be resolved with the info in Kevin's paragraph and LUBE!

Dave

"The issue with the AR family is too many of the manufactuers beleive in cheap parts and maufacturer and negligent states of qulaity control.
An AR by a reliable manufacturer will go for 10's of thousands of rounds, only needing the occassional part (bolts from 5k to 10k and barrels from 10-20 - dpending on your barrel length and firing schedules)" - KevinB

edited to add that the other 15% are jackassery issues

That has been preached by many people and it never sinks in.

Shihan
11-16-07, 20:37

LMAO!

jhs1969
11-16-07, 21:08
sigchaser,

Don't give up on the AR's. Consider this, I've owned over 20 different AR's, about 15 AK's, 3 M1A's, 12 M1 garands, 3 M1 carbines and have handled and shot several times knock off's of the FAL and G3.

The last 10 years have seen me protected by two seperate AR's and nothing else. If the AR system was no good then belive me it would not have served for over 40 years now. As far as the 5.56 goes, well the Red's tried to copy it. I work with a Vietnam vet that was more than happy with it's performance.

Try to imagine going into an unknown situationg with and AK, would you yield the first shot by carrying on safe or walk around all the time with the safety off. Either way the odds may catch up.

I currently own a BM M4 that I will soon upgrade with a BCG and buffer. In two or three months I plan on aquiring a Colt 6920. I've had the same questions as you at one time, but the AR is where I've stood for many years.

The best alternative I see coming may be the FN SCAR, but I'm not selling an AR. It will have to go through it's trial by fire to convince me.

Hang tough.

Rik
11-16-07, 21:19
We were talking SHTF rifle, there are a LOT of AR's in the US of A. Think logistics.

Jay Cunningham
11-16-07, 23:01
Try to imagine going into an unknown situationg with and AK, would you yield the first shot by carrying on safe or walk around all the time with the safety off. Either way the odds may catch up.

Bit of a red herring there; what you described is a training issue. The AR allows for a faster emergency reload - otherwise times for all other manipulations between both rifles compare if the end user is switched-on.

Failure2Stop
11-17-07, 04:33

Excellent deduction on your part! I have also seen the error in my ways, and I will be selling off my ARs of all configuration in order to acquire more AKs. All that time spent training on that POS M4 was obviously wasted, I should have been reading threads to determine my weapon capabilities. All that time I spent on AKs, obviously wasted. The shitty ergonomics, the terrible sights, heavy and easily damaged magazines, bile-choking trigger, sub-par terminal ballistics and reduced effective range of the AK obviously make it superior to the AR. :rolleyes: How could I possibly decide that the M4 is a superior weapon not only in its base form, but also in its modular accessory ability?

Compare an Arsenal or Krebs AK to an AR. Same prices. I wonder why? American manufacturing. To have things made here, you are going to have to pay for it. There are fixes for the AK issues, just as there are fixes for the AR problems, but that is hardly indicitive of a superior system.

If the 7.62x39 is so much better than the 5.56x45, why did the Russuans change their standard ammo over to a virtual clone of the 5.56? If the AK is so great, why did the Russians adopt the AN-94, still in 5.45?

The issues brought up to make a SHTF rifle are to make the system virtually failure free. Small parts here and there and good staking take care of all of that. How is that a system failure, especially when the good manufacturers pump out weapons with those parts already in place?

I like AKs. I like ARs. Everyone should own one of each. But when the time comes, my hand is going to my AR. If yours goes to the AK, no problem. But base your decision on something more substantial than black extractor buffers for the AR, and black magic for the AK.