PDA

View Full Version : selector switches

col.1981
08-28-11, 10:37
Got a PSA LPK installed recently and the selector switch when in the fire position is not straight up and a down (slightly left of 12). I checked the detent and pivot areas and reinstalled several times to no avail. Function's fine. Is this common/am I nitpicking?

Also noticed the tab protruding from the switch ends about in the center whereas on other LPK's I've seen the tab stops nearer the edge (which I prefer aesthetically but not sure about function). Who's LPK's have that kind of switch?

Tweak
08-28-11, 12:02
Common, not ideal. Tried a different selector?

col.1981
08-28-11, 12:47
No, not yet. Looking for one.

Belmont31R
08-28-11, 12:54
Colt started extending the lever all the way to the center a couple years ago. Not saying its a Colt part but Im sure other companies are going to be doing this now, too.

col.1981
08-28-11, 13:39
Interesting, didn't know that.

markm
08-29-11, 08:53
If it snaps on and off safe crisply and positively, I'd leave it.

If not, might as well replace it. You can get a Colt selector from Brownells. If I get crappy Selectors in LPKs, I replace them with Colt.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson099.jpg?t=1277371558

C4IGrant
08-29-11, 09:17
Got a PSA LPK installed recently and the selector switch when in the fire position is not straight up and a down (slightly left of 12). I checked the detent and pivot areas and reinstalled several times to no avail. Function's fine. Is this common/am I nitpicking?

Also noticed the tab protruding from the switch ends about in the center whereas on other LPK's I've seen the tab stops nearer the edge (which I prefer aesthetically but not sure about function). Who's LPK's have that kind of switch?

It is not a function issue, but the slots are not machined in the right spots.

When I see stuff like this, I always wonder; "What else is wrong?"

C4

Hmac
08-29-11, 09:31

IMHO the BADASS (Battle Arms Development) ambidextrous safety selector is a no-brainer. Even if you don't want an ambidextrous lever the machining is very precise and it comes with stainless steel detent.

mtdawg169
08-29-11, 12:08

C4

True, but I have seen the same issue with LMT selectors as well. I guess sometimes you can just get a lemon.

C4IGrant
08-29-11, 12:27
True, but I have seen the same issue with LMT selectors as well. I guess sometimes you can just get a lemon.

It is possible, but rare. In fact, so rare, that I have never seen an LMT like above described.

C4

mtdawg169
08-29-11, 16:08
It is possible, but rare. In fact, so rare, that I have never seen an LMT like above described.

C4

The one I got didn't cleanly snap into safe/fire and was gritty/mushy through the entire range of motion. It would actually push slightly beyond 6 o'clock. It functioned, but the selector positions weren't firm. It looked like the groove & detent positions weren't machined (edit: cast) properly. It was replaced by LMT and I've never seen another like it.

C4IGrant
08-29-11, 16:19
The one I got didn't cleanly snap into safe/fire and was gritty through the entire range of motion. It would actually push slightly beyond 6 o'clock. It functioned, but the selector positions weren't firm. It looked like the groove & detent positions weren't machined properly. It was replaced by LMT and I've never seen another like it.

Interesting. You might have gotten the only one.

C4

Todd.K
08-29-11, 16:55
Selectors are cast.

mtdawg169
08-29-11, 17:33
Interesting. You might have gotten the only one.

C4

You know what they say... stuff happens.

col.1981
08-31-11, 15:55

C4

That was also worrying me, however the rest of the LPK seemed GTG.

TCB
09-01-11, 14:03
The selector in my PSA LPK was pretty mushy as well, it didn't click into place. Has now been replaced, problem solved.

C4IGrant
09-01-11, 14:10
The selector in my PSA LPK was pretty mushy as well, it didn't click into place. Has now been replaced, problem solved.

Look at the slots in it (where the detent sits). Are they fully machined out?

C4

col.1981
09-04-11, 16:51
I looked at the slots and didn't see any noticeable machining foul ups. I can't recognize it w/ my eye, but it has to be off because I was able to try a selector from another mfg's LPK and it worked fine and lined up correctly.