PDA

View Full Version : Must Have Tools

Neeglik
08-16-06, 16:34
I'm looking to become a little more self-sufficient with my AR maintenance and builds. I want to be able to replace anything on my rifles, as well as trick out my friends. What tools do you guys suggest that makes life with an AR easier.

TWR
08-16-06, 18:49
An action block, armorers (sp?) wrench, quality punch set, quality screw driver set and a hammer have worked for me. Although I should get a go, no-go gauge set.

Bravo Company used to sell a "kit" I think.

K.L. Davis
08-16-06, 19:02
An action block, armorers (sp?) wrench, quality punch set, quality screw driver set and a hammer have worked for me. Although I should get a go, no-go gauge set.

Bravo Company used to sell a "kit" I think.

Good advice there...

Kisara
08-16-06, 22:44
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=328

Kisara
08-17-06, 00:12
Ditto on "Quality", as the freebie Lyman punches we are given at work (see my photo in the other thread) constantly mushroom, bend or break. I had to use my own money for these Starrett's.

http://i7.tinypic.com/24v03g2.jpg

Neeglik
08-17-06, 01:45
Thanks for the link, Kisara. Sorry, I missed the previous thread guys, but thanks for the help!

Bloodbathdisplay
08-17-06, 19:17
I am a bad person to ask, I built my lower with a Bic Pen, Vise grips with the jaws taped, a small hammer, large flat-head screwdriver, and my favorite....a spent brass casing, the upper was put together with an action block, torque wrench and an armorers wrench. Oh and I didn't scratch a damn thing, then again I worked at a bicycle shop building bikes from scratch for 3 years...

Nitrox
08-17-06, 19:20
Beer and a Dremel.

LITHPD101
08-17-06, 20:26
Brownells sells a well equiped package. You don't need everything but it all makes things alot easier.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=432&title=TOOLS+FOR+AR-15%2fM16

Look at the list of items and go from there.

Voodoochild
08-17-06, 20:36
1,050 Dollars for the whole kit... Nice

Robb Jensen
08-21-06, 21:34
Ned Christensen MOACKS bolt carrier key staking tool. :D

and

You'll need some sort of action block, I prefer the DPMS one where the upper receiver drops down onto it and is held on my the take down pin holes. A lot of people think these aren't supported (they are and pretty well). I've probably installed/removed over 100 barrels now using this block now and haven't damages a single receiver.

Roll pin punches and roll pin starters are a must have. Good barrel wrenches are nice. I have a DPMS multi wrench, a USGI wrench, a PRI freefloat wrench (works well on Larue, DD, YHM, PRI and others it has 5 long pins) and as if yesterday I now have a DD Lite rail wrench (thanks Grant!). The new Larue bbl is on backorder which looks really nice.

I also like a lower receiver block (I have a DPMS flapper) for the lower to hold it while working on it.

So basically I'm a tool junkie, 4 of my uncles are machinists/mechanics that taught me to use the right tool for the job.

Oh yeah, also if you can find one of these it's the mother of all M4 stock castle nut wrenches. It's works very well on staked on castle nuts and is sold by Tonys Custom Uppers out of Ohio.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/M4stockwrench.jpg

Hoplophile
08-21-06, 22:45
Beer and a Dremel.
Now you're talkin'! :cool:

This Guy
08-22-06, 03:42
Here are the tools I didn't see listed: retaining ring pliers for the handguard slip ring retainer, pivot pin tools- installation & removal(saves a lot of headache), slave pin for trigger assembly(a hammer/trigger pin cut to the width of the trigger) just a time saver, dental pick for removing bad gas rings, 1/16" allen wrench for the index screw in the rear sight, barrel extension wrench, a nice set of stones comes in handy and a missing spring finder, unless you have the pivot pin tools. One you don't hear much about is a no-go plug gauge for the hammer/trigger pin holes, if you're into gauging.

LITHPD101
08-22-06, 04:20
Ned Christensen MOACKS bolt carrier key staking tool. :D

I got one of those. The are really nice to have. :D

C4IGrant
08-22-06, 08:26
Good comments above. My only advice is to avoid the DPMS barrel wrenches. I have to date snapped the posts off four of them! :mad:

C4