PDA

View Full Version : AAR Telluric Group combat carbine , st augustine fl

lowjack
08-28-11, 13:29
AAR telluric group's combat carbine, st augustine fl

INTRO
Here is a good group intro for the partners of the telluric group form TNVC. They are very well know in the industy but he is a little about them
Don's background includes over 20 years in US Army Special Operations. He began his career at 75th Ranger Regiment, where he participated in Operation Just Cause, and retired as a Team Sergeant with 20th Special Forces Group. His time at 20th Group included combat tours in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Don has also been a tactical advisor to the Department of Defense since 2008 and he spent time on the ground in both Iraq and Afghanistan in that capacity. Prior to that, he served for 5 years as the Use of Force Training Manager and Primary Instructor at the ATF National Academy. He is a FLETC certified firearms instructor. He co-founded the Florida Counter-Drug Training Academy, where he developed and taught firearms and tactics related courses to law enforcement officers.

Kyle is a prior service Army Special Forces Weapons Sergeant, Intelligence Sergeant and, Infantryman. With tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan, he is well versed in Day and Night Combat Tactics. He has also served as an Instructor at the Florida Counter-drug Training Academy, as a DEA Liaison and an advisor to MARSOC. As an employee of ITT Night Vision, he was responsible for Night Vision training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Brunswick, GA.

As a Certified ITT Night Vision Instructor, Kyle trained thousands of agents in Night Vision operations and tactics and assisted Local, State and Federal Agencies in Night Vision related investigations. As the National Military Sales Manager for Aimpoint, he continued to work with Special Operations Forces and provided them with products and training.

Currently, he has been providing the highest quality Day Tactics and Night Vision training to Military, Law Enforcement and Civilian clients. Kyle is also serving his Police Department as a SWAT Sergeant and Trainer.

Brian served for six years with 3rd Battalion, 20th Special Forces Group. He is also defense/ security contractor that has planned, managed, and participated in high threat security operations; provided training to law enforcement and military personnel and to American and TCN security professionals; and worked to field night vision and weapons and optics related equipment to the US government.

Brian opened and ran ITT Night Vision’s training field office at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, where he taught night vision courses to more than 3,000 federal, state, and local law enforcement agents and officers. He is also a reserve detective with a police department in Georgia

He has also served for ten years as the executive director and response team leader for ĪSON, a not-for-profit organization that provides emergency assistance to missionaries and humanitarian organizations abroad.

Brian has an International MBA from the University of South Carolina and an MBA from the Business and Economics University of Vienna, Austria.

They are also Aimpoints official training team.

Gear
S&w MP15R (5.45), g19, ares drop leg holster, Osoe MWRL chest rig, Osoe single point sling and eotec sight,

Weather
90+ degrees with 100% humidity made for a lovely day

Training day 1
Class started off in the class room with everyone introducing themselves. we had a mix of SF, active military, military contractors, law enforcement, a dentist and a heart doc. Safety run down was next and it was also good to know that one of our instructors kyle was a 18delta (sf medic) and directed everyone in a a game plan incase their was an issue. A basic run down of the weapon of choice for everyone in the class (ar15) was given and 200m zero vs other distances were discussed. Basic weapon manipulation was shown but because the level of experience in the class we quickly got out to the range.

Weapon safety was given again and everyone confirmed their zeros at !00 and then at 200 meters. To get everyone loose we started on the 100 yard making a shot and as you successfully hit your target you then walk back another 100 (the walk back drill). We shot the deployment cal and everyone passing no problem we were told what they hoped we would learn from the class and what their expectations of US for the class were, Accuracy. Don and kyle did most of the range instructing and they are VERY big on accuracy.they wanted "A" zone hits and kyle gave us a quick medical lesson as to where and why you want your "A" zone hits. " lets get real we are not learning to shoot paper we are learning to kill people" he said. Then to my surprise don told us that most of the shooting for the class was going to be form the 50-100 yard line , " anyone can punch holes in the target from 10 yards ,you are going to be held to a higher standard we are shooting for the 50- 100 most of the time" he said. Thats exactly where we shot most of the class. We ran a few drills and as everyone adapted to their expectations don said "ok lets move and shoot, accuracy standards still apply". Now that we were all running drills shooting and moving thinking drills were introduced. Im not going to go in depth to the style or type of drills they made because i believe thats their "secret sauce" and out of respect ill leave that for you to lean when you take the class. As training day one closed down we had a competitive and fun drill to run , the duleing tree. You picked a person in class to run against and each had to shoot the swinging target to get all targets on your oppositions side. a lot of variations were added, only 10rds mags, one mag then transition ect ect.

Training day 2
Started off confirming our zeros and doing the walk back drill .They changed up things by having us move closer in and doing a lot of weapon manipulations , malfunction clearing, transitions , and multiple target engagements all while still holding to the same accuracy standards. All in good jest it wasn't un common to hear form one of the instruction "what the **** is this" referring to the less than stellar shot placement on the target. Two drills that really stuck out in my mind were engaging multiple targets that varied in distances, and "the humbler". This drill we had to move while shooting and navigating a course made of cones. The day closed again with the dulling tree and back to the class room where your received your completion cert. and filled out a questionnaire on the class.

Thoughts and lessons learned
The shooting material for the class was all routed in the telluric groups real world "been their done that " experience. The instructors were professional, laid back, attentive to making sure you were doing it right and understanding the real world application for the drill or technique . At the same time they were demanding, sarcastic, omnipresent when you **** up assholes (just joking). One thing i have seen in the mil/ leo community is the amount of bullshit exaggerated bragging that goes on but with these guys I didn't hear any of that. The biggest plus for the instructors is that they actually care that you got it right and were willing to invest a few minutes to make sure you were good to go versus just telling you your doing it wrong.

It was on the second day i personally was really getting into the zone and was shooting very accurate and smooth. As im starting to feel a little cocky about myself Kyle was checking everyones targets and stopped to examine mine, "thats real nice shooting" i was told . That was an instant ego pump especially considering who i was shooting with. "But that means your doing it wrong, if your groups are that good and your smooth with the drill your going to slow and you need to speed it up" . The truth is that you need to push your self to the teetering failure point and thats where you need to train because its how you learn who you are as a shooter/warrior/soldier and get better, I learned. That is how i now train on the teetering point of progress.

I have been to a few classes and all of them are different with skill and mindset taught. one interesting thing that this class has is the amalgum of the "tactical athlete" and "non diagnostic" courses (i didn't invent that terminology, th3b4gm4n did) Accuracy was hammered, "tactical athlete" drills were run but scanning, checking your six, and topping off your guns were also hammered into you.It was a great learning experience and an eye opener with the distance transition drills. i definitley have some more tools for the tactical tool box.

gear
All my Osoe gear ran great, g19 fine, my eotec didn't like my oakley gas cans so i ended up running the whole course with irons. I run my drop leg holsters very high (easier for me to move and draw my pistol) and Ares drop leg rig feels like it was made with that intent.Easy to adjust and rock solid makes this my new favorite holster. My M&P 15R on the last drill busted some gas rings but thats to be exected with of 10k+ rounds of dirty surplus ammo threw it .

I don't have any pics off hand because I typed all this up on my phone but will post them when I get back.

to check these guys out on the web www.telgru.com