PDA

View Full Version : Looking for effective defense load available to non-LEO...

Burns
08-28-11, 19:39
Good day folks,

I've put many hours into researching the best loads for my mid-length 16" for defensive purposes. I would like to have some 5.56 TAP 75gr, but it doesn't seem readily available to mere civilians, and costs are high. What more readily available loads should I be considering? I've thought of the PRVI 75 gr "Match HP" or the blue or red box .223 Black Hills 77 gr smk loads. How do these compare with the SP Gold Dots and Federals, practically speaking. Cost effectiveness doesn't hurt here, because I'd like to have a decent amount on hand - point me in the right direction.

How concerned should I be about loss of velocity with a .223 instead of 5.56 at self-defense ranges.

I HAVE used the "orange button" and have spent a lot of time on this; I could use some advice and I apologize in advance if you folks see this post as redundant.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Burns

KhanRad
08-29-11, 00:59
Check out this thread:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

Beagle1AD
09-21-11, 00:58
After some research I purchased some ASYM PRECISION .223 75 gr. Tactical OTM which utilize the Hornady 75 gr. Open Tip Match bullet with a cannelure.

It is expensive but compared to other premium rounds it's cheaper. I purchased in bulk when it was on sale directly from their website and I got a good price. I believe it's still on sale.

ammotogo has good price on it as well if you don't want to purchase in bulk.

C4IGrant
09-21-11, 10:44
Good day folks,

I've put many hours into researching the best loads for my mid-length 16" for defensive purposes. I would like to have some 5.56 TAP 75gr, but it doesn't seem readily available to mere civilians, and costs are high. What more readily available loads should I be considering? I've thought of the PRVI 75 gr "Match HP" or the blue or red box .223 Black Hills 77 gr smk loads. How do these compare with the SP Gold Dots and Federals, practically speaking. Cost effectiveness doesn't hurt here, because I'd like to have a decent amount on hand - point me in the right direction.

How concerned should I be about loss of velocity with a .223 instead of 5.56 at self-defense ranges.

I HAVE used the "orange button" and have spent a lot of time on this; I could use some advice and I apologize in advance if you folks see this post as redundant.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Burns

We stock the T2 TAP.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=8126N

C4