PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis on FTF/FTE?

BCO30
08-28-11, 20:41
What would one call this malfunction that I am about to describe?

10 rounds loaded into a mag. first two rounds were fired and then on third shot the firing pin hit the bullet, but does not fire. The bolt is lodged forward and the bolt carrier will not pull the bolt from the teeth of the barrell extension-(think that is the correct term). The carrier could only be moved about a 1/4" either forward or rearward. The bolt did not move. I removed the lower reciever. Treated the upper as if it still had a live round. I was able to put a small screw driver in between the upper and the bolt carrier. I used leverage and the bolt removed from the teeth of the barrell extension. The case did not have a bullet. I dont know if the bullet fired from the case, and I just did not hear it or the bullet fell out of the barrell on the ground. -I was thinking this is called a squib, but I thought a squib is where the bullet lodges into the barrell after leaving the case.
Anyway, I was able to inspect the carrier and bolt and could not see any damage. I reoiled the carrier group loaded 5 more rounds and they all shot without a hitch. I was using Wolf. I ve been using Wolf for years and have never had an issue.

Heavy Metal
08-28-11, 21:24
Are you shooting reloads?

BCO30
08-28-11, 22:15
No, I used steel case wolf ammo.

Clint
08-29-11, 00:12
Sounds like a stuck case and the extractor slipped off the rim.

BCG then short stroked and relocked on the empty case.

Iraqgunz
08-29-11, 14:28
It would be great if you would tell use what type of AR you have. Make, model, etc..

In addition was your AR wet like a prom date or dry like someones grandma? That will tell us something also. I put this little gem up a while back to help people like yourself, so we can help you.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=85863

Cerberus
08-29-11, 19:33
Sounds to me you are describing either a very light load or a cartridge that did not recieve any propellant. It is quite possible for a squib to have enough force to push the bullet from the barrel, it seems in your case it did. What locked your bolt up was probably this.
The FP hit the primer. The primer fired. The primer then backed out of the pocket slightly. Without the force of the powder and gasses, the casing did not slam the head against boltface to reseat the primer. Since the primer was set back a bit, it effectivly lengthed the cartrdge to the point of making extraction stiff. In this case it wedged the bolt lugs to the chamber lugs.

This was an ammo malf, which can and does happen with any brand.

BCO30
08-29-11, 20:03
Thanks for the replies.
To Iraqgunz:

I am using a Double Star lower with a DPMS lower parts kit-that I assembled myself from the stripped lower. The upper is also a Double Star that was already assembled its a 20" HBAR A2 fixed iron sight. Iam using a Coffin Arms carrier group. Standard A2 fixed buttstock. I was using 55 grain FMJ Wolf steel case.

I had shot this rifle on a couple of different trips to the range and no problems. using same ammo. only difference was that I was using a different carrier group from another rifle of mine. But I had shot about 20 rounds yesterday with the new bolt carrier group with no problems.

After I dislodged the bolt carrier group, I reoiled the BCG, and loaded 5 more rounds and everything worked fine. -sounds like a bad round. I'll probably shoot again this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks.

Robb Jensen
08-29-11, 21:06
Run it wet like sloppy sex on a slip & slide with your prom date and use a barrel or ream one to true 5.56mm NATO in the neck and throat with a Ned Christiansen reamer. Use a good milspec BCG from BCM/Colt/DD/LMT,G&R etc and you should be good to go with Wolf ammo.