PDA

View Full Version : S&W Airlite Revolvers?

sonrider657
11-07-07, 10:20
Does anyone have any experience with Smith & Wesson Airlite Revolvers?

Would one of these be a good Concealed Carry gun for a woman?

.38 or .357?

Nathan_Bell
11-07-07, 10:26
I carry a 642 Airweight everywhere. Avoid the scandium framed units they hurt to shoot, little bit too light.

ST911
11-07-07, 10:55
Does anyone have any experience with Smith & Wesson Airlite Revolvers? Would one of these be a good Concealed Carry gun for a woman? .38 or .357?

The many ladies present at events I frequent like the Ruger SP101, the 3" J-frames (can't recall the model#), other J-frames in carbon or SS. Most don't mind the Airweights when ammo is chosen wisely. To the one, all dislike shooting the Airlites.

Many well-meaning fellows buy guns for ladies. Most should not.

Buying a gun with the plan to carry much and shoot little is also flawed. There's a balance, and we should encourage carry-friendly guns that can be shot and enjoyed.

Robb Jensen
11-07-07, 11:01
I too would highly recommend against an ultra light AirLite or Airweight S&W. Both have lots of recoil (do to the lightweight). I would recommend an all stainless or carbon steel revolver in .32 H&R Magnum or .38 Special. If trigger pull weight is an issue a good trigger job from the S&W Performance Center would lower and make it a lot smoother.

Don G.
11-07-07, 11:41
Content deleted.

condition 1
11-07-07, 13:40
also a good set of grips would help, ditch the factory boot grips, get some that fit & feel good in her hand. and no to the .357 S&W J frame 1 shot and she will never shoot it again.

mark5pt56
11-07-07, 18:04
I would go with the .357 and just use .38's for her. The recoil is snappy enough with them. I say the .357 so the option is always there. Go with the 642, light enough and alot cheaper.

mactastic
11-07-07, 18:37
I own an Airlite in .357 and love it. Very light and while I would not carry it as a primary it would make a nice backup gun.
No I would not recommend it for a woman, even with .38 special loads in it.

9x19
11-07-07, 20:36
Since I am a woman, I will say this: I used to have a S&W Model 442 Airweight .38 revolver. It was my first handgun. I could shoot it well enough even though I have very small hands, but the trigger pull is long and very heavy, and the recoil is terrible. I would not suggest buying one of these pistols for a woman unless she is an experienced shooter, or unless she has enormous man hands.

Hersh
11-08-07, 16:59
also a good set of grips would help, ditch the factory boot grips, get some that fit & feel good in her hand.

I'll second that. My 638 points a lot better since I've changed out the original grip to a Hogue Monogrip.

williejc
11-08-07, 22:34
I own several of these and have had no problems. I suggest finding a used but like new model without the safety lock. Load power and grip choice determine felt recoil. I fail to see why a female could not learn to shoot one.
Hogue monogrips are great. For practice use a squib load like 2.5 grs Bullseye and wadcutter bullet. Then switch to better loads. The lady could do familiariation with H monogrips and carry a more concealeable handle if needed. The idea behind tame loads and soft grips is not to discourage a new shooter. Learn basics with these and jump up. Don't foget comfortable well-fitting hearing protection. Have somebody slick-up the action. If you can disassemble, use Flitz. Reaasemble with a SLIGHTLY less powerful Wolfe mainspring and same type rebound spring. Buy some snap caps and urge her to do some dry fire practice. Have her practice live fire at 7 yards and don't move forward until she is really good. Practice double-action mostly and shoot at silhouette targets only. Consider a hammerless version. Consider dehorning hammer, if not hammerless.

If you use a lighter rebound spring, teach her not to short shuck the trigger.

Williejc

nationwide
11-09-07, 09:05
My fiancee did fine with my 637...

But I'll certainly echo the sentiments of the horrid trigger. :(

Lawdog537
11-09-07, 09:45
I found my wife a used (but very very good condition) S&W 940 in 9mm a few years back. I got if for her because her other carry gun is a 3913. She loves it. Got her a set of Crimson Trace grips for mother's day this year (I know, I'm a romantic) and she could not be happier.

I recently got a new M&P series .357 and love the gun, but it is not fun to shoot with .357 loads. Hopefully I put the threat down before it puts my wrist down.

Go old school with a 642 or 442, you can't lose