PDA

View Full Version : Specific Gen3 G22 Problems

556A2
08-28-11, 23:06
I know that Gen3 Glock 22s & 23s are not highly regarded, and have the infamous KB! reputation (usually due to reloads). What are the specific issues with the Gen3 .40s? The only one I know is a light may cause FTEs.

Thinking about picking up a cheap ex-PD G22 to carry during hunting season as a beater pistol for 2 legged varmints, and for dispatching any animals that may not have died instantly. Leaning towards a .40 since they penetrate a little bit better in case of a pissed off feral hog.

JonInWA
08-29-11, 08:37
The basic issues seem to be:

1. Operational issues with mounted lights;

2. Longevity issues due to increased/accellerated wear due to essentially bootstrapping a 9mm handgun onto the more intensive, higher pressure/quicker pressure spiking .40 cartridge;

3. Operational issues due to magazine springs loosing their tensility more quickly than the 9mm varients (see issue #2...)

While there have been other issues with G22s through the years, I think that these are the major ones regarding a Gen 3 G22.

I'm personally unimpressed with the KB "issue." Don't use lead bullets, don't use cartridges that have been chambered and rechambered inducing bullet setback, and don't use handloads (unless you really, really know what you're doing, and have quality components, powdeer, and reloading equipment) and I have no doubt that your G22 will do just fine.

If you pick up an ex-PD G22, ideally it would be a Glock-refurbished gun. If not, or if you're uncertain, at a minimum I'd replace every spring (including magazine springs) before using, and/or send it to Glock for examination/updating as needed.

Best, Jon

SpaceWrangler
08-29-11, 14:07
My Gen 3 Model 23 was a LEO trade-in when I bought it. I myself have put about 1500 rounds through it with zero malfunctions.

Last week I mounted a Streamlight TLR-1 and took it to the range with the intent of putting a hundred rounds through it just to be sure it would function reliably with the light mounted under it.

I didn't even get through the first magazine... Failure To Feed. Unload and Clear, remove the light, reload and continue...

No further problems.

My Gen 3 Model 23 will not function reliably with a mounted light.

556A2
08-29-11, 14:42
So basically keep the springs changed, expect maybe 100,000 rounds instead of 200,000, and a light may cause issues?

JonInWA
08-29-11, 14:47
Yep. Regarding springs, I'd replace the recoil spring assembly every 2500 rounds, and the magazine springs at least annually. If your running the coil trigger spring, I'd replace it every 5-10K rounds, depending how anal you are, and the slide lock spring every 10K rounds.

Best, Jon

warpedcamshaft
08-30-11, 21:33
The earlier Glock pistols in 40 S&W had noticeably less chamber support than some of the more recent ones. The more recent Glocks in 40 S&W don't leave that distinctive semi-circular mark on the spent casings.

TheSmiter1
08-30-11, 21:50
So basically keep the springs changed, expect maybe 100,000 rounds instead of 200,000, and a light may cause issues?

Expect maybe 25k if you maintain it. People with experience with heavily used Glocks of the .40 caliber variant seem to agree that they start breaking down (frame, frame rails) around 20k-25k, but this is a difficult number of rounds to achieve without being supported by taxpayers.

warpedcamshaft
08-30-11, 22:15
If you want to maximize the longevity of the pistol, you could substitute a heavier aftermarket spring for the stock weight spring.

It is my understanding that Generation 3 Glock 22's use the same spring as the Generation 3 Glock 17. The 40 S&W has more muzzle energy, and perhaps should have been equipped with a heavier spring to increase the service life.

tpd223
08-30-11, 23:36
Yep. Regarding springs, I'd replace the recoil spring assembly every 2500 rounds, and the magazine springs at least annually. If your running the coil trigger spring, I'd replace it every 5-10K rounds, depending how anal you are, and the slide lock spring every 10K rounds.

Best, Jon

^This^

I spent a great deal of time trying to get our G22s running back in 2006, got quite the Glock .40 education in the process.

If your gun runs then it runs, don't worry about it.

The biggest issues I have seen with LE Glocks is failure to swap out the recoil springs as needed.

I'd do so at 2000 rounds, I would advise you never allow more than 3000 rounds on the recoil spring.

ETA, stay away from stupid hot ammo, just a thought since you are thinking about this as a hunting BUG. No need for stuff like the Double Tap ammo when standard factory FMJFP penetrates like 56" in gelatin tests. For hunting the 180gr Hornady XTP also has good penetration, more so than most other LE type JHPs while still expanding some.

charmcitycop
08-31-11, 10:19

FailureDrill-P099
08-31-11, 19:25
To my knowledge, the only major issues my agency has had with Glocks are the failures with the lights.
However even those seem to be inconsistent with how, when and why and most are cured with the new magazines.
Tac of course has different needs due to their training cycles - the armory replaces the springs, and then the entire guns are some point.
I have heard from tac instructors that the average swat officer will go through about one glock a year.

What the hell are they doing to go through a glock a year.

xcibes
09-01-11, 21:26
ok, we have glock issues galore, but how about G22 Gen4 issues...i heard about the gen 3 9mm but I don't hear about gen4 .40 cal glocks....well, what are they?

SpaceWrangler
09-01-11, 21:29
ok, we have glock issues galore, but how about G22 Gen4 issues...i heard about the gen 3 9mm but I don't hear about gen4 .40 cal glocks....well, what are they?

Start a new thread.

Nephrology
09-01-11, 21:32
^This^

ETA, stay away from stupid hot ammo, just a thought since you are thinking about this as a hunting BUG. No need for stuff like the Double Tap ammo when standard factory FMJFP penetrates like 56" in gelatin tests. For hunting the 180gr Hornady XTP also has good penetration, more so than most other LE type JHPs while still expanding some.

Double Tap is garbage anyway. They might be the best game in the business for the full power 10mm loads but the rest of the stuff they sell is overpriced and made poorly. At least one, maybe 2 of their 9mm JHPs use the same bullets that Remington UMC JHPs do. Not impressed.

xcibes
09-01-11, 21:34
since there was this glock22 thread I did not want to start another.....oh well...

SpaceWrangler
09-01-11, 21:40
since there was this glock22 thread I did not want to start another.....oh well...

I know. But the OP here was specific about Gen 3 only...