PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Inserting Magazines

2theXtreme
08-29-11, 00:22
Before you read further know I searched the topic and did not come up with an answer to my personal problem. Also, I know downloading the mag to 28 or less is supposed to help but it didn't in my case.

So...out of nowhere at my match last Tuesday I tried to load a full pmag into my DDM4 I inserted/set the mag racked one into the chamber and pulled the mag out to "press check". When I tried reinserting the mag as I have done everytime since I've had my M4 it would not seat. No matter how hard I pressed. So I racked the CH and extracted the round in the chamber. Tried it again and the same thing happened. I really had to muscle it into the weapon to get it to seat fully. I tried downloading the mags today to 28,27,26,...15 but it was still more difficult than it has been in the past to fully seat with the bolt forward. There is no problem when the bolt is to the rear.

I think that I may have loaded that pmag to 31 on ASS-ident so My main question is...is there any damage I could have caused to the gun by inserting and charging a 31 round mag? And if so how do I remedy it? I hope I have been specific enough with my situation and Thank You to anybody that offers advice.

steelonsteel
08-29-11, 00:46
I think it VERY unlikely you'd hurt the gun... now the MAGAZINE on the other hand, I would diassemble and check throughly around the follower and feedlips. A pmag should survive even that though, so you're probably A-OK all around, but its worth checking, and only takes a couple seconds.

leokartxiv
08-29-11, 02:26
I would get another pmag and try and seat it. if it works then compare the two and see if there are any differances.

JSantoro
08-29-11, 08:12
The chances you have damaged either the weapon or the magazine in this instance are on a par with my chances of being elected Pope.

Which is unfortunate, because I'd love to have an excuse to wear a hat that makes me look like a post-hole digger and institute a global auto-da-fe to weed out dudes that wear capri pants....

However, if you want to check the mag just on the basis of "inspect what you expect," take a look at the back of the mag for splits in the feed lips. Something like this:

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8925/cimg0990h.jpg

Though, in the unlikely event that any damage was done in the first place, it may not be anywhere near that abvious, so look closely at the base of the curve on the back, where the back of the follower emerges, and at where the top of the follower stops with no rounds in, laterally.

The gun? It fed, right? Extracted/ejected? Unless you beat the round into the chamber with a flagstone, along with a fistful of gravel, you're just chasing the mice running around in your head.

I had something similar happen to me within the last two weeks. Bought two of the new Lancer mags, in transparent/smoke for the purpose of use with dummy rounds in classes. I only had 6 Magpul dummies in each, and push/pull wasn't getting it done. Had to smack the bases to seat on a closed bolt. Being easily angered and stubborn, I kept at it, and either my will prevailed or the detent in the mag that interacts with the mag catch on the gun got worn in to an acceptable level.

I ended up chalking that one down in the IDFK-FN column (I Don't Freakin' Know - Fixed, Now). Poo occurs. :sad:

rob_s
08-29-11, 08:32
Is this your only magazine? If not, is this the only one causing you problems?

We had a Charles Daly Defense complete lower years ago that just flat would not take a GI mag with more than 15 rounds in it when the bolt was forward without SERIOUS slamming of the magazine bottom. The initial response from CDD's "armorer" (who claimes all sorts of pedigree to include being a former Ranger) was that there was no reason to insert a magazine on a closed bolt. Evidently on the KD range (which this Ranger evidently never left) there were strict loading instructions which began with "lock the bolt to the rear". The only way we convinced them that this might be a problem was by telling them 3-gunners speed load with a roudn in the chamber. No amount of explaining tac-loads would sink in. The irony of the fact that I was having to explain tac-loads to a former Ranger armorer was not lost on me.

I say all of this to say that it's not unheard of for the lower to have issues. In this case I can't imagine damaging one in a way to induce this issue though, as ours was evident from the get go on this lower and was an intrinsic flaw.

markm
08-29-11, 08:47
This happens with several of my mags... USGI and Pmag too.

The top round and second to top round move around and make the mag nearly impossible to seat. I have to mash the 2nd round back into place and rap the spine of the mag on the front of the magwell to seat the rounds to the rear.

Iraqgunz
08-29-11, 09:28
Aside from him (CDD armourer) being a dumbass, he was probably a phony Ranger. Phony SF types seem to be popping up from every hole as of late.

Is this your only magazine? If not, is this the only one causing you problems?

We had a Charles Daly Defense complete lower years ago that just flat would not take a GI mag with more than 15 rounds in it when the bolt was forward without SERIOUS slamming of the magazine bottom. The initial response from CDD's "armorer" (who claimes all sorts of pedigree to include being a former Ranger) was that there was no reason to insert a magazine on a closed bolt. Evidently on the KD range (which this Ranger evidently never left) there were strict loading instructions which began with "lock the bolt to the rear". The only way we convinced them that this might be a problem was by telling them 3-gunners speed load with a roudn in the chamber. No amount of explaining tac-loads would sink in. The irony of the fact that I was having to explain tac-loads to a former Ranger armorer was not lost on me.

I say all of this to say that it's not unheard of for the lower to have issues. In this case I can't imagine damaging one in a way to induce this issue though, as ours was evident from the get go on this lower and was an intrinsic flaw.

Eric D.
08-29-11, 11:34
Same here. I can't duplicate the problem nor is it specific to single mags.

This happens with several of my mags... USGI and Pmag too.

The top round and second to top round move around and make the mag nearly impossible to seat. I have to mash the 2nd round back into place and rap the spine of the mag on the front of the magwell to seat the rounds to the rear.

markm
08-29-11, 11:39
Same here. I can't duplicate the problem nor is it specific to single mags.

This will happen at least once in any given carbean class. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's seen this.

Never comes up on the boards.

2theXtreme
08-29-11, 11:56
Reply to all: Thank you everybody for the suggestions. I tried about 4 or 5 different mags yesterday and none of them seemed to seat as easily as before this happened. I'll take the gun down today give her a good littler rub down and inspect all my mags and see what happens. Thank you all again.

Axcelea
08-29-11, 14:06
Could debris or some obstruction in the mag release/catch be a possible culprit?

2theXtreme
08-29-11, 15:08
Could debris or some obstruction in the mag release/catch be a possible culprit?

It may be possible but I looked in there and there is no debris. The catch/release functions fine. Headed home in a little to try and figure something out. Will report back if anything is found.

G-lock
08-29-11, 15:10
Is it possible the mag catch is bent? Do have another to replace it with?? Might be worth a try...

2theXtreme
08-29-11, 16:11
Is it possible the mag catch is bent? Do have another to replace it with?? Might be worth a try...

Unfortunately I do not have an extra mag catch. But I will take a closer look at it.

ucrt
08-29-11, 16:29

Could the Lower be out of spec and the Mag Catch is actually higher (closer to the Bolt) in the Mag Well than design, making the mag next to impossible to latch on a closed Bolt?

What make is the Lower?

pilotguyo540
08-29-11, 19:06
I had a similar post a long time ago. Long story short, 2 lowers from 2 manufacturers and 2 uppers from different manufacturers had the same issue. It got better over time. Its still a stiff bitch, but getting better.
I was getting some wear in one upper towards the top, just outside of the charge handle channel. I don't know if I was properly lubricating back then. I would issue an update on that upper, but the ex has it. I will probably never see it again.

2theXtreme
08-29-11, 21:35

Could the Lower be out of spec and the Mag Catch is actually higher (closer to the Bolt) in the Mag Well than design, making the mag next to impossible to latch on a closed Bolt?

What make is the Lower?

Definitely not out of spec. It's Daniel Defense!:D Haha! I just checked everything out and it was in order. Took out the bolt cleaned it up played with it a little bit and everything seems to be working. I'll have to compare it to one at my local to see if there are any differences in the amount of pressure it takes to seat a mag with bolt closed. Thanks again for all the replys and suggestions.

P2000
09-18-11, 21:21
I've noticed that if the second to the top round in a mag is nose up, the mag can be nearly impossible to seat. I think the top round and second to the top round bind up when this happens. Grab a mag and pull the 2nd to the top round nose up and see if it binds.