PDA

View Full Version : Perspective on Building a new Carbine please.

philipeggo
08-29-11, 11:45
Gentlemen it appears that I am in need of some perspective. I am now in a position to build another rifle but I find myself torn in a few different directions. I my current rifle is a KISS set up. The most complicated thing I have on it is a flip up front sight which is about to get swapped for a standard FSB. I even kept the standard skinny handguards on it. I want my next Rifle to be a bit different but I am torn between a few ideas and need some perspective from folks that have multiple rifles setup in different ways.

1) Standard carbine but I would swap out the hand guards for a basic 2 piece rail system. Would be a bit more adaptable than what I have now if not a bit heavier.
2) A lightweight profile upper with a trx rail .Still functional just weighs less.
3) Register a lower as an sbr and build a shorty colt commando clone wanna be. The only real purpose this would serve would be my personal satisfaction. I’ve always wanted one. Though it could/would also be very functional.

I would build all 3 if I could but I cant . The practical side of me says to stick with option 1 but the other side says I would get more satisfaction out of option 2 or 3. For the record I don’t NEED a new rifle. Granted according to the 1 is none rule I should probably have another one. Money isn’t that big of an issue as the price difference is pretty much just the 200 dollar tax stamp to register the lower. Ill pick up an extra day or so a work for month and have that covered. Is there anything I’m not considering? I guess what im asking is when you started building a second or a third rifle was it to fill a need or a want ? And how did you come to the decision that you did ?
I dont want to change my current carbine around as im pretty happy with it .

rob_s
08-29-11, 12:19
What is your current rifle not doing that you would like it to? What is it doing that you would like it to stop doing? What applications have you found where your current rifle is lacking? How? What sorts of shooting might you be thinking of becoming involved in that you are not now, and how do you envision your current carbine not meeting those needs.

I personally do not understand how people assemble guns at all without identifying a need first. It just strikes me as tossing a glue-ball into a parts bin and seeing what sticks otherwise. I wouldn't know what to bolt to where if I wasn't trying to accomplish something.

turdbocharged
08-29-11, 12:39
If as you say you don't NEED a new carbine then why not just purchase ammo with that extra cash you have? You could also put that cash into a quality optic for your current carbine. Or as Rob's sigline suggests, just go buy a new Colt. Most people that build their own rifles have a specific need that isn't met by factory guns.

philipeggo
08-29-11, 12:50
The only complaint i have now is that mounting of lights ,slings etc is a bit less than ideal . I would like my new gun to correct that. turdbocharged I have an extra lower so i really dont want to buy a complete rifle. Any weapon i have now is solely for defense of my homestead. I just want another one and im having trouble debating what direction i want to take it. I think its odd that you assume I have to need it in order to justify buying it . Look around your home i bet there's a metric ton of stuff that you dont need but you still have . Whether it be because it makes your life easier ,more fun, what have you . The only needs it would fill would be to have an extra rifle in case the commies,zombies, Scientologists or whatever decide to invade and it would provide me some personal satisfaction and peace of mind just in case my primary went down . This is a hobby to me right now that just so happens to be useful .Not something i do for a living so my thought process is different than say a cop who isnt happy with his patrol rifle .

What is your current rifle not doing that you would like it to? What is it doing that you would like it to stop doing? What applications have you found where your current rifle is lacking? How? What sorts of shooting might you be thinking of becoming involved in that you are not now, and how do you envision your current carbine not meeting those needs.

I personally do not understand how people assemble guns at all without identifying a need first. It just strikes me as tossing a glue-ball into a parts bin and seeing what sticks otherwise. I wouldn't know what to bolt to where if I wasn't trying to accomplish something.

philipeggo
08-29-11, 12:55
Another example of me not needing something : I am buying a motorcycle . I dont NEED it . I already have a truck that gets me around just fine . The motorcycle serves no purpose other than to make me happy. That in and if itself should be reason enough to buy it. At least for me. This build would be similar . I would have an extra rifle to shoot,take to classes,loan in case some craziness happens etc. But need is very subjective . We need food to survive . We dont however need it to be prime rib. Beans and rabbit would do just fine. Not trying to argue , just sharing the thought process of a normal non LEO, non -mil guy .

MSteele
08-29-11, 13:42
I was in the same dilemma on building my next AR, but I decided to spend the money on what I felt was the most important. First was the reliability of my current AR so I bought a ton of Federal XM 193 ammo and shot the crap out of it and was real happy with the results. Second was longevity after literally beating the crap out of it I knew that it would go bang every time. Third was training, I took a carbine class were I learned things I thought I could already do but couldn't. After all of that I went into upgrades based on the mission drives the weapon. After training and tons of practice I knew exactly what I needed. I bought a new better barrel, BCM BCG and Aimpoint T1. This was all to increase the accuracy of my AR. Now after I learned the capabilities and limitations of my current AR and made the needed changes I can now build the next one and be confident in that AR performing every time.
I like the KISS rifle but being able to add upgrades and accessories offer real world improvements. So as long as you know what the limitations or your current AR are and it's purpose then spend and build to make it or another AR better. The pursuit of happiness and all that, if it makes you happy then go for it. Those were just the steps I took and have absolutely no regrets on the money I spent which could have bought me a sweet set up but now I know my rifle will go bang and that I can also do what needs to be done. Just my opinion....

rob_s
08-29-11, 14:04
If you're not operating from a needs-base then there isn't really any way for anyone else to help you. Buy what you like and go shoot the hell out of it.

philipeggo
08-29-11, 14:05
I like your thought process . Good thing im taking a carbine course in a month or so . Maybe that will help me decide a bit . The problem is that i see the utility in both kinds of setups. My gun now is pretty much snag free,light,and is more accurate than I . I wouldn't change it however I am conscious of the fact that light placement and sling placement might not be ideal because of the way its set up. I'll prob wait till after the course to build the next one. Thanks.

I was in the same dilemma on building my next AR, but I decided to spend the money on what I felt was the most important. First was the reliability of my current AR so I bought a ton of Federal XM 193 ammo and shot the crap out of it and was real happy with the results. Second was longevity after literally beating the crap out of it I knew that it would go bang every time. Third was training, I took a carbine class were I learned things I thought I could already do but couldn't. After all of that I went into upgrades based on the mission drives the weapon. After training and tons of practice I knew exactly what I needed. I bought a new better barrel, BCM BCG and Aimpoint T1. This was all to increase the accuracy of my AR. Now after I learned the capabilities and limitations of my current AR and made the needed changes I can now build the next one and be confident in that AR performing every time.
I like the KISS rifle but being able to add upgrades and accessories offer real world improvements. So as long as you know what the limitations or your current AR are and it's purpose then spend and build to make it or another AR better. The pursuit of happiness and all that, if it makes you happy then go for it. Those were just the steps I took and have absolutely no regrets on the money I spent which could have bought me a sweet set up but now I know my rifle will go bang and that I can also do what needs to be done. Just my opinion....

rob_s
08-29-11, 14:10
I like your thought process . Good thing im taking a carbine course in a month or so.

If you have zero prior training, and you are at least passingly interested in having your wants be logic based, I would wait for this. You didn't state in your OP how much you've shot the gun you have now, but getting propper instruction with it is definitely key.

I can't put anything together without a perceived need and a plan. This (https://sites.google.com/site/tacticalyellowvisor/10-3-ultralight-sbr) is just an example of the process that I got through, even if only in my head, on a typical carbine I might put together. It's not boredome based, it's needs based. I get tired of getting tired and of banging into things on the range and I think "I can put something together that addresses these issues." Hope this helps explain my perspective on these threads.

MSteele
08-29-11, 15:11
I like your thought process . Good thing im taking a carbine course in a month or so . Maybe that will help me decide a bit . The problem is that i see the utility in both kinds of setups. My gun now is pretty much snag free,light,and is more accurate than I . I wouldn't change it however I am conscious of the fact that light placement and sling placement might not be ideal because of the way its set up. I'll prob wait till after the course to build the next one. Thanks.

There is absolutely no substitution for training. Once you take a proper training course your knowledge of your AR and yourself will be different then what it is now, positive in every way. Nothing feels better then knowing that you can manipulate that weapon system and place effective shots on target. Also knowing that the weapon system you put together goes bang every time you press the trigger and the upgrades and accessories you added work for your needs. "There is a reason why tier 1 operators are issued a wide variety of gear in the SOPMOD kit for an M4. Some missions are better suited for a 10.5" SBR while others require long-range capabilities." You need to find out what gear you need that is suited for your mission (home defense, target, work) and that can only be accomplished through training and understanding what your AR can and can't do by running it hard.
I started with a S&W M&P 15T which some may feel isn't that great. So I really needed to prove to MYSELF that it could handle what I needed it for. I made the necessary improvements and now I will stand by it 100%, because I ran it hard and trained with it. I just posted pics to the AR pic thread. The next thing I will be adding is a BCM upper and that's it. I know for a fact the next AR I put together every penny spent will be for a specific reason and not just for looks. Anyone can make an AR look insane but will it work 99% of the time or even better, can they place rounds on target under stress. Let me know how much you have changed once you take your training course.