PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper HS and Trijicon Accupoint

bigkracka
08-29-11, 13:28
I've narrowed it down between these two 1-4 optics, the Vortex is almost 2 bills less than the Trijicon and illuminated. I'm not sure if I like the Vortex reticle over the Trijicon, seems a little cluttered and I like the simplicity of the Trijicon post. Use will be 0-300yds with occasional 400-500yds. Thoughts/recommendations?

Airborne12b
08-31-11, 10:16
If the price difference is only ~$200 then absolutely go with the accupoint. Image clarity is phenomenal. I will say though that Vortex brings allot to the table for an optic made in China.

Singlestack Wonder
08-31-11, 13:59
If the price difference is only ~$200 then absolutely go with the accupoint. Image clarity is phenomenal. I will say though that Vortex brings allot to the table for an optic made in China.

The Vortex PST is made in the Philippines with glass manufacturered in Japan. Most find that the glass in the Vortex is clearer than the Accupoint.

YMMV

shootist~
08-31-11, 15:21
And the HS is just a PST with capped turrets. The PST and HS have the option of adding a BDC turret if that makes any difference.

Gutshot John
08-31-11, 15:46
The PST has much clearer glass. I'd go with that over the Viper HS for only $30 difference and external turrets though the BDC turret would be a decent option.

As for a "cluttered" TMCQ reticle, I suppose if you think mil-dot reticles are cluttered this would hold true, but once you learn to use it's a good deal more functional than the post. Similarly the post/triangle of the Accupoint makes holdovers significantly harder.

bigkracka
08-31-11, 23:44
The PST has much clearer glass. I'd go with that over the Viper HS for only $30 difference and external turrets though the BDC turret would be a decent option.

As for a "cluttered" TMCQ reticle, I suppose if you think mil-dot reticles are cluttered this would hold true, but once you learn to use it's a good deal more functional than the post. Similarly the post/triangle of the Accupoint makes holdovers significantly harder.

Good point. Can you tell I'm new to magnified optics? lol Is there something else I should consider in this price range?

SA80Dan
09-01-11, 07:43
The Vortex PST is made in the Philippines with glass manufacturered in Japan. Most find that the glass in the Vortex is clearer than the Accupoint.

YMMV

Having owned both, this is what I found. To my eyes the glass is noticeably better on the Vortex - especially round the edges where the TR24 falls flat (comparatively - its by no means bad). The other thing about the Viper is it has an extremely forgiving eye box, best of all the scopes I've tried so far.

Reticle - if you are going to be long range shooting, the Viper PST/HS wins out vs the triangle TR24. The Vortex reticle is not cluttered - it is well designed and functional close up or at distance.

ccoker
09-07-11, 20:30
I would consider the Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4 as well

I personally like it better than either despite not being "true 1x" at the bottom.

I was testing it and the Accupoint today and the Leupold has better glass, and the reticle just pops out at you, to me it's faster than the Vortex

glockshooter
09-07-11, 21:18
I got rid of a TR24R to get the PST I have now. I don't think there is really a comparison between the two. The TR is a good scope but if you have any plans on shooting over 250 it is very lacking. There is no really way to do any holdovers because the post is so thick.

My only complaint with the PST was fixed on the HS (capped turrets).

Matt

ra2bach
09-08-11, 00:32

are you saying the PST has different glass than the HS?

Gutshot John
09-08-11, 13:05
are you saying the PST has different glass than the HS?

Sorry for the confusion, no. I'm saying it's clearer glass than the Trij.

I like the turrets better on the PST than the HS.

shootist~
09-08-11, 14:46
I like the turrets better on the PST than the HS.

Can you expand on this a little more? Are the HS turrets still usable to dial in you dope?

I have the PST 1-4, but have not seen an HS version.

SA80Dan
09-08-11, 14:49
Can you expand on this a little more? Are the HS turrets still usable to dial in you dope?

I've not seen a HS in the flesh either, but here's a good look at the turrets:

http://www.ar15news.com/2011/04/05/new-vortex-viper-hs-1-4x24-scope-available-soon/

With cap off, wouldn't be a problem dialing those as far as I can tell.

shootist~
09-08-11, 16:29
It does look like the HS turrets are workable; assuming you can set the turrets to zero. I would love them to come out with a 1-6ish with full crosshair and better glass for a little more long range precision. I would be all over it for my FAL at a minimum. (FALs and extended windage turrets sometimes don't get along.)

Gutshot John
09-08-11, 18:38

It's mostly personal preference but I take the time to gather my dope so if I'm shooting at various ranges I like to be able dial it in quickly and accurately.

The HS turrets are still functional, but scope caps etc get lost.

Usable for a task and suited for a task are two different criteria.