PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 100 recall

platoonDaddy
08-29-11, 14:30
Didn't see a forum for semi-auto rifles, therefore the post here.

Yesterday my friend dropped of his favorite hunting weapon for me to disassemble and clean. Searching the web I came across the following recall, yea it is old but he never received any bulletin from Winchester.

So I thought I would post due to the following comment "possibly injury or death to the shooter and bystander". Maybe it is cover your ass or it really is serious.

IMPORTANT Recall info:
WINCHESTER MODEL 100 FIRING PIN RECALL - A notice dated 7-1990 relates the following
“PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND REPLACEMENT NOTICE. Attention owners of Winchester model 100 rifles and carbines please read this notice. In July of 1990 the following product safety warning was issued by Winchester.

It has come to our attention that the firing pin in the Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine may break due to use and metal fatigue and become lodged in the breech bolt face. If this occurs, the firearm may fire before the action is locked causing severe damage to the firearm and possibly injury or death to the shooter and bystander.

WARNING DO NOT SHOOT YOUR WINCHESTER MODEL 100 RIFLE OR CARBINE. Repair and replacement.

A new firing pin has been designed to replace the firing pin originally made for the Winchester Model 100 Rifle and Carbine. The new firing pins will be available in April 1991. If you own a Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine, please send your firearm to one of the authorized Winchester Model 100 Firing Pin Replacement Centers indicated below.

Your Winchester Model 100 firearm will be inspected, the firing pin replaced and tested and the firearm returned to you. The inspection, replacement/testing and return postage will be accomplished at no cost to you. If other repair or maintenance work is authorized by you to be performed on the firearm when the firing pin is replaced, such work shall be at your cost.”

W. R. Long Gunsmiths
2007 Brook Road North
Cobourg, Ontario K9A4W4

Frank LeFever & Sons
RD 2 Box 31
Lee Center, NY 13363

Bolsa Gunsmithing
7404 Bolsa Avenue
Westminister, CA 92683

Nu Line Guns
1053 Caulks Hill Road
Harvester, MO 63303

If you have any questions concerning this notice, call Winchester Product Service
1-800-852-5734 1-800-852-5734 or write to Winchester Firing Pin replacement Notice, PO Box 10 Cottage
Hills Illinois 62018 Attention Product Service Dept.