PDA

View Full Version : Am I Crazy?

Black goat
08-30-11, 13:37
So I have been a bit let down by my recently attained P30L V3 in a few regards, you know the standard trigger quality complaints, lower cap mags than comparable 9mm autos, and fitment issues I had with an exceptionally loose back strap (good news is that H&K customer service was helpful, but still even allowing for some error in the production of polymer pieces there was far to much wobble to the point of an audible and tactile "click" back and forth with barely a poke, however Sam at H&K took care of it and now my small back strap fits like its molded on, just as the large always did), The side panels are a little looser than I'd like but to be honest they do not bother me. Also a noticeable lack of aftermarket support/availability, due probably to the firearms age and presence on the market. Overall it has left me less than enthusiastic about it, though it performance and seeming reliability is nothing short of the H&K reputation.
Now this is were I start to question my own sanity, I have had Sig p226 lust for quite some time, but have abstained due to the proverbial shitstorm they have cause with their quality as of late. However the appears to be a variant of their new "German" line of P226's that is a German manufactured Stainless slide, with standard contrast sights and the new "E2" grip (which i prefer due to my ego boosting small hands). Now this partially alleviates the concern that there would be problems with the quality of the frame/barrel/slide. It seems like the package suited to what I would want.
I think its clear where I am going with this, though I am invested in the P30L (spare mags, safariland, initial loss on selling), I am considering if this new p226 variant might be more along the lines with what I am looking for. A few other things have been weighing in on the situation however, I know that the 226 is likely crammed with the mim internals that appear to be making Exeter (in)famous despite its quality body, but the 226 platform has things I do like such as available .22lr and airsoft facsimiles for cheaper familiarization and drawing/drills. There is also a larger availability of aftermarket support (including higher cap mecgars) and the price available to me for this New German variant is dangerously close to what I could pull out of the P30L system I tried to get behind.
Thank you for your time if you managed to read my little self imposed dilemma, and thanks in advance for any input you would have on the whole shebang, I still have a huge urge to make the switch, but there are parts of me that want to dismiss Sig as an option due to their issues and another part that really thinks I should just stick with the P30.

P.S. I forgot to put the "(P30L to Sig P226)" in the title, totally spaced out on that Not sure If i can edit it myself as I cannot find a way

KhanRad
08-30-11, 14:13
The "German" P226 guns are NOT on par with the old West German guns. They still use US made MIM small parts, and the slides are made from stamped carbon steel(not stainless). It is highly likely that this will be a limited production gun, since the carbon slides were likely assembled from parts left over from the old stamping machinery. The machines used to make the old stamped slides apparently no longer exists.

The only parts "made in Germany" are likely going to be the slide(which is discontinued), breech block(discontinued), and frame. So, there isn't a whole lot "German" about it compared to the old guns. Plus, in my experience the new alloy used for Sig frames is not as durable as the old alloy frames.

I've been a dedicated Sig user in Federal service for the last 15 years. I've found the new Sigs to be lacking in overall quality compared to the old guns. My agency recently ordered 200 P226 .40s and we had to send 24 back due to problems right out of the box. Another couple of dozen were returned to the factory in the first 1000rds for manufacturing issues. That means that 3 out of every 10 guns had issues that could have gotten the officer killed. Our sister agency ICE bought 300 HK P2000 .40s, and only returned 4 guns out of the box, and another 11 after the first 1000 rounds. So with HK only 0.5 guns were returned. By that ratio, new Sigs had 8x as many issues as H&Ks did in the first 1000rds.

If the P30L isn't your cup of tea, that's fine. Just be aware, that what you have is a top of the line firearm and you will find it VERY hard to duplicate its capabilities should you sell it. I would stay away from Sigs. Yes, the old W. German guns are outstanding, but parts on the gun are discontintued and a hard use gun needs to have good factory support if things break. Glock and S&W are two nice alternatives.

F-Trooper05
08-30-11, 14:24
Mag capacity: The P30 and 226 have the same mag capacity, so switching platforms won't help.

Grip panels: Loose fitting grip panels is unusual, but not unheard of. Either way it sounds like you got it squared away, so switching platforms won't help this either.

Trigger: The P30 trigger definitely could be better, but it's nothing that can't be mastered with training.

Lack of aftermarket parts: This is something that you just have to get use to if you want to be an HK owner.

As for the newer "German" SIGs, keep in mind that they're still being made by the same company with a CEO whose last name is Cohen, and they still have different levels of quality control for civilians guns than they do for military and law enforcement. If that doesn't bother you than get the SIG and don't look back. Personally though, I would keep the P30, and it's not even close.

Black goat
08-30-11, 17:38
The only parts "made in Germany" are likely going to be the slide(which is discontinued), breech block(discontinued), and frame. So, there isn't a whole lot "German" about it compared to the old guns. Plus, in my experience the new alloy used for Sig frames is not as durable as the old alloy frames.

This is the part that kinda made me consider it, there is a variant (#E26R-9-B-GER) that sports Matching German frame, barrel, and stainless (yes stainless, no removable breech block, external extractor) slide, but I figured it was just a pipe dream for a modern incarnation of the Sigs of yore. So when I found out they had this red headed step child of the German line that it may just be that classic sig with modern adjustments I always wanted.

Mag capacity: The P30 and 226 have the same mag capacity, so switching platforms won't help.

I was referring to the often recommended MecGar 18 round flush fitting or 20 round extended mags that come highly recommended for the 226 (though the 20 rounders are about the same as a p30 mag in cost and the 18's aren't to far behind)

KhanRad
08-30-11, 17:47
The problem is that even the "German" made Sigs that enter the US have the majority of their parts made in the US. The X5 addition has a German made slide and barrel too, but the gun is problematic. The company just isn't what it used to be. It's time to move on. From a design, materials, and quality control standpoint......the P30 series IS the best overall 9mm pistol out there.

Since you already have the HK on hand, logistically speaking that would be your best option. By the time you reconfig for a new platform(selling off the H&K), get magazines, holsters,....etc, you'll be in the negative financially. I strongly suggest you try out some rental guns. Specifically, the Glock 17/19 and M&P 9mm. Although, the M&P in my opinion is best in .40S&W from which the platform was originally designed. Shoot other options enough, and you'll either grow to love the P30, or grow to love one of the other options. After shooting Sigs for so long, the P30 was one of the few pistols that I could pick up cold and shoot it better than my Sigs in a dynamic course of fire.

Black goat
08-30-11, 18:25
Yup your right, I have trigger time behind most the other polymers including a lot with a 4th gen G22 and they are all the reasons I pushed out to the H&K, the only other polymer autos that still intrigue me are other H&Ks and the M&P that I can't seem to get a hold of for some trigger time (Perhaps this new Walther PPQ would be a fun to, but i doubt it would replace my P30L as my "go to" system). I think this thread was an attempt to get my rational side to control my impulsive thinking and slight disillusionment with my P30L, so I appreciate your indulging my nonsensical whims, and any other input someone would like to add.

GermanSynergy
08-30-11, 18:27
KhanRad speaks the truth regarding the P30. There's no comparing the quality of the current Sigs and the P30.

KhanRad
08-30-11, 18:31
Yup your right, I have trigger time behind most the other polymers including a lot with a 4th gen G22 and they are all the reasons I pushed out to the H&K, the only other polymer autos that still intrigue me are other H&Ks and the M&P that I can't seem to get a hold of for some trigger time (Perhaps this new Walther PPQ would be a fun to, but i doubt it would replace my P30L as my "go to" system). I think this thread was an attempt to get my rational side to control my impulsive thinking and slight disillusionment with my P30L, so I appreciate your indulging my nonsensical whims, and any other input someone would like to add.

Smart move. I've done the musical chairs thing many times with firearms and in the end I didn't really accomplish anything. Someone once said "The road to contentment is full of blood, tears, and lost fortunes."

BTW, you can always try out a LEM modificaion on your P30L.

Black goat
08-30-11, 19:19
Smart move. I've done the musical chairs thing many times with firearms and in the end I didn't really accomplish anything. Someone once said "The road to contentment is full of blood, tears, and lost fortunes."

BTW, you can always try out a LEM modificaion on your P30L.

I have considered that, but due to the placement of the decocker button on the p30 H&K does not support a conversion to LEM, it still works with or without the decocker left in and what they don't know won't hurt them but, if they ever found out it would be a probable cause for them to deny warranty work. Still something that would probably be worth looking into before abandoning a platform proven this well(I don't know how many times I have gone through Todd G's p30 high round test).

ck1
08-30-11, 20:33
You're not alone, had a P30 LEM and a P30L, even went through the trouble of converting the P30 to a V1 "light LEM", decided they're more hype than real performance, a great feeling grip isn't enough IMHO.

As for the Sig, IMHO if the decocker or slide-release don't bother you than your grip technique could probably be better... they're just ok in my book, their ergos and overall design may have been the cat's ass when the Weaver stance and teacup grip were the bleeding edge, but now it's 2011, not 1987, we've learned a few things... That said, Ernest Langden has shown the Sig design can be run quite well (though I bet he could run a Hi-Point and smoke most of us).

If you're after a solid DA/SA design I'd recommend trying a CZ SP-01 or even Shadow, it'll do everything better than the other two you mentioned, plus it's trigger can be made to simply be out of their league if you want it to be and the CZ may have the best grip out there whether larger or smaller handed folks.