PDA

View Full Version : Denver Redfield 3x9: Fix or not

hals1
08-30-11, 14:44
I have a Denver Redfield 3x9 with the duplex reticle circa early 70s. It is not a wide field. The reticle has come loose in it.
There is a place in Florida (Iron Sight Inc) that will fix it for $80 flat rate. Only trouble is turnaround is typically seven months.
Is it worth fixing? Anybody know of anywhere else I might get it fixed quicker? The local "gunsmiths" claim it is worth fixing, but I will no longer trust any of them to mount a scope and bore sight it.
Meanwhile I need a scope now but that's for another thread.

DJK
08-30-11, 15:21
The older Redfield 3x9s are the scope of choice for those building M40 replicas if they are the Accu-Range model. They are worth several hundred dollars in good condition. Check them out on eBay. There are two shops that repair the old Redfields. Iron Sight in Oklahoma and ABO, USA in Miami. ABO rebuilt one for me several years ago. Do you have a picture of your scope?

hals1
08-30-11, 16:36
The older Redfield 3x9s are the scope of choice for those building M40 replicas if they are the Accu-Range model. They are worth several hundred dollars in good condition. Check them out on eBay. There are two shops that repair the old Redfields. Iron Sight in Oklahoma and ABO, USA in Miami. ABO rebuilt one for me several years ago. Do you have a picture of your scope?

It is not the Accu-Range just the regular duplex (reticle #3 on the Iron Sight page, http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/reedfield
They want $50 extra for reticle 6. Is that the Accu-Range reticle?
By the way, ABO wants $38 up front for return shipping and estimate and 2-16 weeks turnaround, or maybe longer.

DJK
08-30-11, 17:04
It is not the Accu-Range just the regular duplex (reticle #3 on the Iron Sight page, http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/reedfield
They want $50 extra for reticle 6. Is that the Accu-Range reticle?
By the way, ABO wants $38 up front for return shipping and estimate and 2-16 weeks turnaround, or maybe longer.

The Accu-Range is a range finding system built into the scope. It has crossbars that moved as you adjusted the power on the scope. This corresponded to a built in tombstone with the ranges out to 600 yards on it. There was also a 450 yard version. I have read that it pretty much didn't work for the Marines in Vietnam. The tombstone melted in the heat.

hals1
08-30-11, 18:18
So since it is not an Accu-Range (that didn't work right anyway?) is it worth spending $80 on or should I just junk it?

DJK
08-30-11, 18:35
So since it is not an Accu-Range (that didn't work right anyway?) is it worth spending $80 on or should I just junk it?

If it was mine, I would try to sell it "as is" on eBay. I have seen some guys put that style of Redfield on their replicas just to have the look. It may be worth it to someone to have it repaired. Put your money into something new without problems and hassle of getting it repaired. You will be happier in the long run.