PDA

View Full Version : Problem Installing Magpul ASAP

cody0341
08-30-11, 18:43
I have been trying to take on my LMT sopmod stock and I have run into a problem, the ASAP is in the way and it won't allow me to fit the wrench in there. Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do?

PRGGodfather
08-30-11, 18:54
Wrench?

Pull the stock adjustment lever in the OPPOSITE direction (away from the stock body) and just slide the stock off completely.

SHARP1983
08-30-11, 19:00
Maybe I've read it wrong but I don't understand what you are trying to do. I have a LMT MRP with a ASAP plate and haven't had any problems with either.

Hmac
08-30-11, 19:05
I have been trying to take on my LMT sopmod stock and I have run into a problem, the ASAP is in the way and it won't allow me to fit the wrench in there. Has anyone else had this problem? What can I do?

I assume you mean you're trying to remove the buffer tube (receiver extension) and have already slid the stock off. As PRG said, you don't have to do anything with the castle nut to get the actual stock off.

Yeh, for getting the castle nut off with a bugger tube wrench the slider bar on the ASAP can be problematic. IIRC, my wrench fit the castle nut OK, although I think I could only get two teeth on there. If yours doesn't, put the thing in a padded vise or receiver block (do slide the stock off) and use a blunt punch to hit the edge of the slots on the castle nut. Tap tap gently but insistently to get it moving.

cody0341
08-30-11, 19:11
I assume you mean you're trying to remove the buffer tube (receiver extension) and have already slid the stock off. As PRG said, you don't have to do anything with the castle nut to get the actual stock off.

Yeh, for getting the castle nut off with a bugger tube wrench the slider bar on the ASAP can be problematic. IIRC, my wrench fit the castle nut OK, although I think I could only get two teeth on there. If yours doesn't, put the thing in a padded vise or receiver block (do slide the stock off) and use a blunt punch to hit the edge of the slots on the castle nut. Tap tap gently but insistently to get it moving.

yes it is the buffer tube, sorry about that I should have explained more.

elia.jon1
09-05-11, 12:55
Like the other folks said. Use a punch. If the nut gets messed up use a new one

Fgolebiowski
09-05-11, 16:35
AR-15/M16/M4 BUTTSTOCK TOOL from Brownells

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21254/avs%7CManufacturer_1=BROWNELLS/Product/AR_15_M16_M4_BUTTSTOCK_TOOL

Iraqgunz
09-05-11, 16:41
I cannot say this enough. If you do not have the proper tools then take it to a professional and have it done.

Otherwise you will be buying something more expensive when you damage it. You need a proper castle nut wrench and you need to secure the lower receiver in order to do this.

cody0341
09-05-11, 16:45
well I haven't destroyed anything yet, I order a proper castle nut wrench and I will fix it when I get it.

I cannot say this enough. If you do not have the proper tools then take it to a professional and have it done.

Otherwise you will be buying something more expensive when you damage it. You need a proper castle nut wrench and you need to secure the lower receiver in order to do this.

totenkopf_u64
09-06-11, 18:08
Don't mean to highjack, but I ran into a problem when trying to tighten my castle nut.

On the receiver end plate the is a small tab that aligns with the threadless channel on the receiver extension, which I assume is too keep the extension from rotating when tightening the castle nut. However, I installed an IKH Slap plate on my rifle and found that when tightening the castle nut there was a little too much play and the entire extension would rotate just a couple degrees when torquing the castle nut (enough to look slightly canted after the stock body was put on). I eventually got the castle nut secured and staked with the receiver extension straight enough to satisfy my mildly anal retentive self, but now I wonder if there isn't some simple trick I was missing, or if maybe this is just a pay attention sort of thing?

Maybe this will help the OP with assembly and maybe not... Was just thinking about this when I read the thread.

charmcitycop
09-06-11, 19:19

Belmont31R
09-06-11, 19:41
Don't mean to highjack, but I ran into a problem when trying to tighten my castle nut.

On the receiver end plate the is a small tab that aligns with the threadless channel on the receiver extension, which I assume is too keep the extension from rotating when tightening the castle nut. However, I installed an IKH Slap plate on my rifle and found that when tightening the castle nut there was a little too much play and the entire extension would rotate just a couple degrees when torquing the castle nut (enough to look slightly canted after the stock body was put on). I eventually got the castle nut secured and staked with the receiver extension straight enough to satisfy my mildly anal retentive self, but now I wonder if there isn't some simple trick I was missing, or if maybe this is just a pay attention sort of thing?

Maybe this will help the OP with assembly and maybe not... Was just thinking about this when I read the thread.

After you get the castle nut staked install the stock, and hit it with a rubber mallet to get it back in alignment. I know exactly what you're talking about, and it annoys me to no end. Ive even had a few RE's turn with the castle nut to the point the tab on the end plate dug into the threads on the RE. Even using grease on the RE and castle nut..

IME this depends on the tab on the end plate and the channel cut into the threads on the RE. Not all of them are equal even between manufacturers. Ive come to inspect the parts, and can tell by eyesight if there will be an issue.

With the asap it comes with a mil spec and commercial tab you install. If the mil spec one is loose after install you can always take a flat bastard to the commercial one, and custom fit it. This way that tab has as much contact as possible into the channel cut into the RE.

For regular RE's, end plates, and castle nuts I buy Colt products. Ive had other well known brands have issues including soft castle nuts to where the cut outs bend when tightening down, channels in the RE be out of 'my spec' and cause the RE to turn with the castle nut...and other issues.

totenkopf_u64
09-06-11, 20:15
Thanks, Belmont! Great info. Rubber mallet... See, i knew it was simple!

Also, why not reuse castle nuts? Unless you cannot get it to install/stake properly, i would think that it's all kosher.