PDA

View Full Version : Red dot optic mount height question

Chris17404
08-31-11, 06:59
Hello all,

Let's assume you subscribe to the notion that if your primary RDS fails, your SOP would be to quickly detach it from the rifle using the QD feature and transition to iron sights. I say this because a RDS getting gunked up with mud that prevents you from seeing your irons through the optic is probably more likely to happen than the RDS simply failing.

If your AR is running flip-up backup iron sights on both the front and rear, is there any reason why you shouldn't mount your RDS as low as possible over the bore of the rifle? There is no need to worry about co-witnessing at all in this case.

What are the pros and cons of mounting a RDS lower than "traditional" height? Thanks for your insight.

Chris

ucrt
08-31-11, 07:30

You can try to mount lower but my neanderthal face won't allow me to get a proper cheek-weld without having to mash my face or contort my neck to use the RDS.

If you mount the RDS low, then you'll have will not be able to see through the RDS to use your BUIS and which will require you to remove the RDS whether it is dirty or not.

But maybe it's just me...

justin_247
08-31-11, 07:45
If your RDS is so "gunked up" with mud that you can't use it, I'm sure your rifle probably has far worse problems than that to concern yourself with.

My Aimpoint is on a tall LaRue mount, so my BUIS can be easily seen through the buttom 1/3 of the optic. I turn off the optic and shoot with iron sights all the time without removing it... I have never had any issues with this configuration. The only time I can think of in which I'd go about removing the optic would be if the optic was physically damaged to such an extent that I couldn't see through it.

markm
08-31-11, 08:32
Just leave the RDS off the gun in the first place. :cool:

PatrolRifleGroup
08-31-11, 08:41
What of mud gets all gunked up in an iron sight rear aperture? I guarantee you'll have a much harder time getting mud out of the rear sight, then I will have wiping off the rear of my RDS. I only say the rear because I can still use my RDS with an occluded front, and both eyes open. This is one of those things that you can "What If" to death.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

rob_s
08-31-11, 09:07
For most people you can only go so low before you can't see the damn thing. I've seen pictures on TOS of guys that bought an Aimpoint micro and mounted it directly to the rail. Yeah, I'm sure he's a shooter. :eek:

The height of the iron sights above boreline on the standard A1/A2 AR is not an accident. The inline nature of the bore/buffer requires it. Having an optic that sits lower than that may be possible for some folks but anyone with fat cheeks or high cheekbones isn't going to be able to see the dot.

munch520
08-31-11, 09:18
Just leave the RDS off the gun in the first place. :cool:

this. run an absolute co-witness if you want the RDS low, with flip-up BUIS front and rear that shouldn't be a problem.

Chris17404
08-31-11, 12:11
Thanks for the replies, everyone. It sounds like mounting the RDS the traditional way is the best way.

Chris

Belmont31R
08-31-11, 12:20
I like tall (lower 1/3rd) mounts because its most comfortable for me, and with follow up shots its quicker back on target. If you have to mash your face into the stock to see the dot, you shoot, and the rifle recoils you'll lose sight of the dot for a split second. A higher mount helps avoid this (as do other things).

Cheek weld is not as important with an RDS as it is with a scope. They have very little parallax and when doing drills you're not shooting for precision accuracy like a bench rest gun or long range shooting requires.

Also remember co witness should only refer to the height of the optic. Irons and RDS's are two different sighting systems and don't need to be (or really should be) used in conjunction with each other. You can use zero'd irons to get the RDS on paper but you don't need to shoot with the dot on top of the front site post or anything like that.

shootist~
08-31-11, 16:04
My old ML2, (mounted on a FAL), went TU during a FAL related 3-gun match. Half a brain fart later I finished the stage with the irons. My particular setup does allow a co-witness, btw. While I lost a second or two getting my shit together, it would have been a total cluster if I'd had to stop and remove the RD. (I was able to hold on to 2nd place.)

Stopping to remove the RD on a two way range might even be worse. :p

I run a Micro at absolute co-witness on an A/R, but my face sits lower on the stock than most. I run the front irons up and the rear folded with no issues. (Just look at the target.) The dot sits above the FSP unless I deploy the rear BUIS. Mount is an ADM modular.

Some people report the small tube on the Micro does not provide an ideal co-witness at lower 1/3. (I don't know if this is true or not since I went the other route.)

FWIW I still run a co-witnessed (~ lower 1/4) ML3 Aimpoint on one of my FALs, but don't try this with a DSA mount - it sits up to high. The mount I use is no longer available, btw.