PDA

View Full Version : Spike's or BCM?

phydaux
08-31-11, 16:24
I'm looking at picking up my first AR. I want a light, fast-handeling self-defense carbine. This will be mostly for plinking in the woods, range shooting, and the occational 3-gun or IDPA carbine side match. That will be the uses that the carbine actually sees. But it will also be my goto weapon in any SHTF/Bug Out situations. So I want it to be rugged, dependable, and I won't use any accessory that requiors a battery (in case SHTF becomes EOTWAWKI).

This is what I'm thinking for specs - 16" chrome-lined barrel & chamber, light weight barrel, mid-length gas system, Mag-Pul MOE furnature, BCM gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle, and DD A1.5 rear sight. That, a bunch of Pmags, and a big ol' pile of ammo.

I was thinking I'd buy a finished lower, a barreled upper, a few more components and assemble it myself ('cause you can't really call THAT a "build"). I budgeted around $1300 for my new weapon.

But then called Spike's, gave them my specs and asked what they could do for a finished weapon. They gave me a quote of ~$1150 including shipping.

So then I checked G&R on what they could do for a finished BMC with those specs. The price came in at a hair more, but not much.

The Spike's carbine has their Battle Trigger and Enhanced BCG - That is to say all the components in the FCG & BCG have a nickle-boron coating similar to Fail Zero's Exo coating. Before anyone asks, yes, Spike's enhanced BCG is fully High Pressure Tested and Magnetic Particle Inspected.

I kinda like that, but someone mentioned that the Army has been shooting AR BCGs on full auto for going on 45 years without any nicle-boron coating and without any problems.

The thing the Bravo has going for it is a 1:7 twist in the barrel as opposed to Spike's 1:8. I think that will do a little better job stabelizing the El Cheapo 55 gr. NATO surplus ammo I'll be shooting most of the time.

But since I'll be using iron sights ALL the time, and only rarely shooting over 100 yards, will that even matter?

The nickle-boron coating, even if it does NOTHING else, will at least make cleaning my BCG a little easier. I'm thinking the BCM will have a little better resale value, but I don't like selling guns, nor do I like buying the same gun more than once. I'd rather do my homework, spend a little more and buy the "right" gun the first time.

So, for my self defense carbine should I get a Spike's or a Bravo company?

I'd like to get some feedback. Thanks in advance.

Iraqgunz
08-31-11, 16:31
phydaux,

I recommend that you use the ORANGE SEARCH BUTTON (top right) and spend some time reading. There is plenty of BCM and Spike's knowledge posted here.

Or you get a Colt 6920 from GandR and then just add the few extras you want.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-31-11, 16:36
Avoiding battery optics in case of "TEOTWAWKI" is stupid to say the least, the whole idea of "TEOTWAWKI" kind of bothers me. "The Road" and "I am Legend" were movies, fabricated by Hollywood. That shits not happening. Take off the tin foil hat. In the even that would happen, you'll have much bigger concerns than you're Aimpoint failing. Not to mention an Aimpoint has a five year battery life, and when it dies, that's what BUIS are for.

Realistically what will happen here is riots in the street, maybe revolution, civil brake down, the country turning into a third world nation, food shortage/riots etc.

1:7 vs 1:8 wont make a difference with 55gr ammo.

I wouldn't waste money on Nikel Boron coating, buy a T1 instead.

Buy a complete rifle, you won't save any money assembling it yourself; ask me how I know.

I prefer BCM.

BCmJUnKie
08-31-11, 16:39
While your attitude of "Buy ONCE" is amazing (probably never said on this forum from a new poster/member) and you chose quality parts, this question has been asked extensively and on a regular basis.

It comes down to personal preference. What do you like more?

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want, are you just asking for reassurance? Would you like to decide for yourself on a rifle you will be shooting or would you like people here to tell you what you should get?

chamber143
08-31-11, 16:40
These posts are starting to get silly...search button will do wonders. I do not have any experience with spikes but i do own a BCM middy with T1 and it is a bad bitch. Chews up everything and isnt sensitive to being clean like all other ar's:D

ARKAR
08-31-11, 16:54
I had a spare lower laying around and a few weeks ago, I ordered a 14.5 w/A2X flash hider upper from BCM. Added a BCM bolt carrier group about a week later when they were back instock. Very nice upper.

About a week later, I ran across a complete Spike's upper at DSG Arms for $485. Comes with their regular bolt carrier group. I ordered a stripped Spike's lower, lower parts kit and buffer tube kit on monday. Should get it all together tomorrow, hopefully. The Spike's upper is very nice as well.

Both companies make nice stuff. I think you can't go wrong when ordering from either one. Let us know what you get.

ARKAR

Nytcrawler93
08-31-11, 16:56
I own a Spike's, it is fine. But if I had it to do over, I would go in this order, Daniel Defense, Colt, BCM, LMT, then Spikes. Just my preference based on resale and projected reliability but it gets a little subjective. Just buy one and shoot the hell out of it and don't look back. I think the gap between the top and bottom is getting smaller but perception is a lot. On this forum, they are heavy BCM as they should be but the others I listed are not bad either. I doubt you will ever know the difference without full auto and circumstances that most likely will never happen. Just my opinion.:big_boss:

bananaman
08-31-11, 16:58
Gotta go with IG here - Grant (G&R tactical) has Colt 6920s for about $990 plus shipping transfer here. (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920) Ain't gonna get any better than that. Boonie packer sling for $18 delivered, a decent light on the FSB, and you'll have a whole pile of $$ left over for ammo.

Wish I'd have done for my first AR.

Put keep it lubed (Mobil 1, Royal Purple, whatever) and go shoot the thing. Nickel Boron is not worth paying extra for IMHO, standard anodizing has worked fine for billions of rounds so far....

NeoNeanderthal
08-31-11, 16:58
Heres the deal. A H1/T1 battery lasts like 5 years. No reason not to have one. If your worried about the world ending, stock up on a few batteries and your set for life. If your worried about an Emp or some other tin foil hat stuff, just get a quick release mount for your optic like a larue?? If you refuse to have a reddot because of the chance of something like this you are seriously limiting your combat effectiveness. Even regular army is issued red-dots now. Low light and close quarters is not the time to be messing with irons.

On paper the spikes deal might look better because it has some newcool coating. But BCM has way more credentials in the reliability department. Like iraqguns said at this price range a colt would also be MUCH nicer then a spikes. I would only ever risk a spikes if it was a ridiculous deal (Like 600 bucks for the whole carbine).

My vote is get the bcm or colt, use the extra money that you would have spent on a space age coating that is not needed and buy yourself an aimpoint and a half a dozen batteries. While your at it, drop 20 bucks for a moe/miad grip and shove all your batteries in the compartment there so your set for life.

Everyone will yell at you to use the search button, which you should but the down and dirty is that spikes is a borderline company that is starting to get the picture and one day might be up there with the rest of the guys. That has yet to be proven though, so for MORE money- i would not buy a questionable carbine.

chamber143
08-31-11, 17:05
As far as cleaning the BCG i clean mine with 725 and run EWL on it and after i shoot its really easy to clean. I dont think that should justify the difference in price to me.

ghostman1960
08-31-11, 17:18
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/spikeslogo.gif

wolf_walker
08-31-11, 17:20
"I am Legend"

Was a book written in the 50's. Concepts such as these are pretty prevalent in most developed (read: have something to loose) society though homsap history. It's nothing new.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post fwiw. :)

OP, there are many good choices, ask instead of "why am I getting this one", eliminate them with "why am I not getting this one", sorted by price assuming that is a factor.
You will reach a good conclusion in short time and be much more educated in the process.

Or just take someone's, admittedly good, advice and buy a Colt and hope for the best. Though part of being prepared if you are really worried about that, is knowledge.

loganp0916
08-31-11, 17:25
Are you sure the spikes barrel is 1/8 not 1/7?
I ordered one in may and receiver it in July and it is 1/7 CL and it's a middy......

wolf_walker
08-31-11, 17:43
I've never seen a 1:8 spikes, both mine have been 1:7.

On the NIB, there are no downsides other than price, and a lot of potential upsides depending on the application. It is, obviously, not even remotely required, but neither are a lot of the things we like on these guns. All money being the same or nearly it's a no-brainier in my opinion to go NiB, there is great debate about it but all it amounts to is you can't really measure "how" it's better other than figures on sliding friction. I don't get how one can not want the BCG to be as slick from the start, before lube, as possible in an AR, people are resistant to change though. It's an old gun after all. The tech has trickled down and got cheap and easy enough finally. There is another thread on here today where a gentleman posted a pretty neat video from Armalite, the real Armalite, way back in the day touting the virtues of the AR10, if you listen to there description of the BCG it is earily similar to the virtues of NiB. This is my mechanically inclined but not (gun) professional opinion mind you.

JW1069
08-31-11, 18:05
OP, you could probably read every "BCM or Spikes?" thread there is and still not have your answer. FWIW, I have a bunch of BCM middies in the safe and would grab any of them in a SHTF scenario...all with optics too. If I were you I'd give more thought to adding a quality RDS and BUIS instead of relying on irons only for your stated purpose no matter which AR brand you choose.

mikeahe
08-31-11, 18:14
From G&R's website

- LMT complete lower receiver $330
- LMT M4 upper receiver $ 485
- COLT BCG $ 169
- BCM / VLTOR Charging Handle $ 50
- MAGPULL MOE forearm $ 30

Total --- $1064

zacii
08-31-11, 18:16
BCM has blemished lowers available, which could save you a few bucks.

TXBob
08-31-11, 18:19
Wait do we hate Spike's or not? Things change so fast.

IMHO BCM>Spike's for performance, although Spikes is improving.

BCM was top notch to start with.

Biggest downside to a Spike's is guilt by association. I own a ST upper that I put on a Post-Ban Bushmater (to make the M4C userbase haters head's explode) and it has been functional for everything I throw through it, including Cheap RUssian junk. Caveat: I'm not super hardcore--its only about 2k rounds.

But given the choice to start with: BCM

RogerinTPA
08-31-11, 18:35
From your choices, BCM hands down. But like IG stated,get the Colt 6920.

a0cake
08-31-11, 18:49
Let me start off by saying that I live in the real world. I do not live vicariously through movies or imagined scenarios. I'm not saying you do, just giving you an idea of where I'm coming from. I hesitate to get involved in these threads with stupid acronyms like SHTF and EOTWAWKI, but I feel the need to insert some logic here.

Now I'll address your dislike of battery powered accessories. You stated that you don't want anything battery powered on your rifle because of the possibility that the world as we know it is going to end. Your words. From a purely mathematical/statistical standpoint, the chances of you being in a dark environment with someone who wishes to do you harm (a situation where you would want a light attached to your rifle), are FAR greater than the chances of the world ending...because as far as I'm tracking, the world has not ended recently.

Even if you KNEW that the world was going to go to shit in your lifetime, why not put a Surefire or similar light on your rifle to use while batteries are still available...then simply not use it when they're not. What's the downside?

Now, Spikes or BCM. Realistically, you're going to get a quality AR from either. Although Spikes seems to lend itself to gimmicky products for some reason...like the ST-T2 Buffer. Or that CLP type product they offered (I forgot what it was called but they advertised it as the world's best gun oil)....somehow that stuff seemed to actually CAUSE rust. I'm not saying Spikes is junk. They do care about using the right components and know their way around an AR. Their customer service is also top notch. But, given an option, why not go with BCM? Reliable, no BS, no gimmicks, no history of price gouging, no sword-fighting penises on your rifle.

Just my humble opinion. I'm sure others may differ.

J8127
08-31-11, 19:06
isnt sensitive to being clean like all other ar's:D

I hope that was sarcasm

gs013564
08-31-11, 19:55
I own a Spike's, it is fine. But if I had it to do over, I would go in this order, Daniel Defense, Colt, BCM, LMT, then Spikes. Just my preference based on resale and projected reliability but it gets a little subjective. Just buy one and shoot the hell out of it and don't look back. I think the gap between the top and bottom is getting smaller but perception is a lot. On this forum, they are heavy BCM as they should be but the others I listed are not bad either. I doubt you will ever know the difference without full auto and circumstances that most likely will never happen. Just my opinion.:big_boss:

+1 on this. I'm a Spike's owner as well and have had no problems (albeit, I haven't ran it hard in a training course yet... which is coming up in 3 weeks for me!), but if I get another its going to be a BCM.

phydaux
08-31-11, 20:15
"I am Legend"

Was a book written in the 50's.

To be fair, the '50s was the hight of the cold war, something many forum members probably have no recollection of.

I may not be from the "duck and cover" generation, that was my older brothers & sisters, but I did spend a lot of time in the Pasific on a US Navy destroyer bird dogging Soviet submarines.

Those of you who scoff at us "tin foil hat types" ask your grand parents if they ever knew anyone who lived in the same town you grew up in that had a bomb shelter in the basement or back yard.

They were a lot more common, back in the day, than a lot of people think.

ztf HITMAN
08-31-11, 20:18
BCM +1 here

wolf_walker
08-31-11, 20:36
To be fair, the '50s was the hight of the cold war, something many forum members probably have no recollection of.

I may not be from the "duck and cover" generation, that was my older brothers & sisters, but I did spend a lot of time in the Pasific on a US Navy destroyer bird dogging Soviet submarines.

Those of you who scoff at us "tin foil hat types" ask your grand parents if they ever knew anyone who lived in the same town you grew up in that had a bomb shelter in the basement or back yard.

They were a lot more common, back in the day, than a lot of people think.

I'm a little tin foil hatty myself, just literary credit where due. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

philipeggo
08-31-11, 21:11
Buy whichever you prefer . They are both solid . Spikes is local to me so its cheaper for me to run up there pick up my stuff and come home . Plus their uppers usually come with a BCG many BCM's do not . Either way its a solid rifle . Most spikes hate comes from dudes that dont like the roll mark (cause you know that matters) or that hate on some of their accessories (nickel boron bcg, st2 buffer ) . But for the people that own one they tend to be more than satisfied.

verderben
08-31-11, 21:28
I honestly think my build would suit your specs fairly well.

Stag 2H upper.
RRA LAR-15 lower
RRA lpk
Collapsible 6 position stock
A4 carry handle
UTG rails (60 bucks)
Surefire 6p led (I know no batteries but lights are good to have)
Weaver 1" scope ring (10 dollar light mount)
Ergo Rail mount sling swivel
Viking Tactics two-point sling.

Should cost you about 1k.

Hope I helped.
Bob

Evolution
08-31-11, 22:04
These posts are starting to get silly...search button will do wonders. I do not have any experience with spikes but i do own a BCM middy with T1 and it is a bad bitch. Chews up everything and isnt sensitive to being clean like all other ar's:D

LOL, getting silly in your two months of membership and 40 posts?

steelonsteel
09-01-11, 00:32
Buy whichever you prefer . They are both solid . Spikes is local to me so its cheaper for me to run up there pick up my stuff and come home . Plus their uppers usually come with a BCG many BCM's do not . Either way its a solid rifle . Most spikes hate comes from dudes that dont like the roll mark (cause you know that matters) or that hate on some of their accessories (nickel boron bcg, st2 buffer ) . But for the people that own one they tend to be more than satisfied.

+1

I own two carbines - a spieks midlength, and a Colt 6520. I like both, and they have both been 100% since day one. BCM is also a known good quality - I'd say buy whichever gun has exactly the features you want. That;s waht I did - ugly roll marks and "old school" carry handles and all!

Iraqgunz
09-01-11, 01:15
I think not. You basically have assembled crap for almost the same price as a Colt 6920.

I honestly think my build would suit your specs fairly well.

Stag 2H upper.
RRA LAR-15 lower
RRA lpk
Collapsible 6 position stock
A4 carry handle
UTG rails (60 bucks)
Surefire 6p led (I know no batteries but lights are good to have)
Weaver 1" scope ring (10 dollar light mount)
Ergo Rail mount sling swivel
Viking Tactics two-point sling.

Should cost you about 1k.

Hope I helped.
Bob

jet80tv
09-01-11, 01:35
If your life might possibly depend on the reliable function of this weapon then you would be better served by a DPMS, Bushmaster, Olympic Arms rifle over "hobby" guns such as BCM or Spikes!;)

Baedarlboo
09-01-11, 06:33
I think not. You basically have assembled crap for almost the same price as a Colt 6920.

LMAO :lol:

SWATcop556
09-01-11, 06:40
If your life might possibly depend on the reliable function of this weapon then you would be better served by a DPMS, Bushmaster, Olympic Arms rifle over "hobby" guns such as BCM or Spikes!;)

Even as a joke let's not even go there.

jet80tv
09-01-11, 07:51
Yeah, maybe not so funny after all.

ztf HITMAN
09-01-11, 15:43
Even as a joke let's not even go there.

Right. Might mislead the truly uninformed.

phydaux
09-01-11, 15:49
Most spikes hate comes from dudes that dont like the roll mark (cause you know that matters) or that hate on some of their accessories (nickel boron bcg, st2 buffer ) . But for the people that own one they tend to be more than satisfied.

Geez. I guess I shouldn't mention that I seriously considered getting a Spike's lower with the zombie logo...

Ed L.
09-01-11, 15:50

Priceless!

As I've said before, Iraqigunz deserves a reward for all of the information he has provided, misconceptions he has shot down, and stupid threads he has closed, as well as all the time he has devoted to this board. I think we should get him a gift certificate---from Spike's Tactical :laugh:.

phydaux
09-01-11, 15:54
On the other hand, I also seriously considered a S&W M&P 15, then a Colt 6720 because I wanted the light weight barrel. But neither of those come in a mid-length gas system, and that lead me to either Spike's or BMC.

I'm leaning toward the BMC, but my snarky nature kinda wants me to get the Spike's just because it will annoy other people.

TXBob
09-01-11, 16:02
Priceless!

As I've said before, Iraqigunz deserves a reward for all of the information he has provided, misconceptions he has shot down, and stupid threads he has closed, as well as all the time he has devoted to this board. I think we should get him a gift certificate---from Spike's Tactical :laugh:.

I'd contribute to that.

Ed L.
09-01-11, 16:03
I suggest new members with less than 200 posts should have their posts screened by a mod before going up.

Oh yeah, +1 on BCM.

I doubt that the mods have the time or inclination to do that. It's not like they are getting paid to do this.

And I agree that of the two I would choose the BCM, though I would choose Spikes over a Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS, or similar lesser brands.

BCM has really made its mark by seeing a market for a high quality firearm that follows the milspec and building them without any corner cutting or compromising.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-01-11, 20:56
I doubt that the mods have the time or inclination to do that. It's not like they are getting paid to do this.

And I agree that of the two I would choose the BCM, though I would choose Spikes over a Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS, or similar lesser brands.

BCM has really made its mark by seeing a market for a high quality firearm that follows the milspec and building them without any corner cutting or compromising.

Or shady, gimmicky, snake oil salesman like marketing tactics.

Wormydog1724
09-01-11, 21:01
I suggest new members with less than 200 posts should have their posts screened by a mod before going up.

:suicide2:

I own both BCM and Spike's and I am happy with both. (however my Spike's is only 80% Spike's, built it from their parts but without their rail and barrel.)

BCM is my vote tho. :D

a0cake
09-01-11, 21:05
Being a member with WAY less than 200 posts, I kinda agree with this but I think I'd make it like 100 or 150. Just enough to make sure these people have learned a little.
But then again, that's a lot of shit for the mods to go through....

Equate number of posts with knowledge, do you? If anybody out there thinks that time spent on an internet forum is in any way an indicator of knowledge of the way of the rifle, you would be mistaken. Anybody can read words on a page and learn to regurgitate numbers and recite commonly accepted mantras. Having the hands on experience to know the WHY and the HOW behind those facts is what counts.

It gets pretty old when people assume you are inexperienced in all subjects related to our shared interest because of a low post count.

Norinco
09-01-11, 22:33
My comment did not in any way pertain to the op's knowledge of firearms, but to the fact that this forum has been trashed as of late with crap like this. "Spike's or BCM", "What gun for SHTF?."
Instead of searching the site and learning the information that's already there, people expect to have someone hold their hand all the way.

Iraqgunz
09-02-11, 06:33
Generally us moderators also get tired of seeing the same xxxx vs. xxxx threads as well. Especially since they have all been done over several times and one need only use the search button.

At some point the threads simply become redundant. I can almost guarantee that if the members who pose the questions would simply read through our technical threads and the stickies, then ask direct pointed questions things would be much smoother.

You can't expect an answer if you don't know what to ask. And of all of that has been laid out.

c2121
09-02-11, 07:55
Generally us moderators also get tired of seeing the same xxxx vs. xxxx threads as well. Especially since they have all been done over several times and one need only use the search button.

At some point the threads simply become redundant. I can almost guarantee that if the members who pose the questions would simply read through our technical threads and the stickies, then ask direct pointed questions things would be much smoother.

You can't expect an answer if you don't know what to ask. And of all of that has been laid out.

True, if it's an answer they are really looking for. I observe quite a bit, including here for years. In my personal opinion, I think there is a certain percentage of these types of questions that fall into: A) I'm so new to the forum that I want to ask a broad stroked question to make my presence known, B) xxx vs xxx questions posted by a fanboy in order to plug xxx, or C) individuals simply trying to get a rise from the group as a whole. I could be wrong, but this jumps out at me as I usually observe in silence.

munch520
09-02-11, 08:40
I think what Gunz was referring to was the fact that the information is out there and it's up to the new guy to search, read 'the chart' and plug his information in and make his informed decision.

I believe obviously from the outside looking in, what would frustrate a mod here would be when the new guy doesn't search or disregards facts found in a search, then gives the 'fanboys' you talked about, a new thread and platform on which to get into a dick measuring contest over their brands of choice. I'm probably guilty of being a dick-measurer...I'm sure we all are :cool:

OP, search more, compare what you find on the BCM v Spikes question, and take a look at the chart rob s put together. Also, put a white light and a rds on that damn thing. There's 2-3 places (grip, vfg) you can store a spare battery if you should ever need it. Otherwise if your SHTF situation happens to be at 0 dark you'll be running around like Helen Keller engaging God knows what/who.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

You'll get idea of the pros and cons of the individual brands, and end up making a decision you know you investigated to the fullest and not what some internet expert told you to do.

c2121
09-02-11, 09:49
I think what Gunz was referring to was the fact that the information is out there and it's up to the new guy to search, read 'the chart' and plug his information in and make his informed decision.

Yes, I did get what Gunz was saying and completely agree with him Sorry I did not convey this. I was merely referring to the percentage of those threads that we see where we almost immediately react with, "Crap, here we go again:rolleyes:".

munch520
09-02-11, 13:32
Right I gotcha...no need to be sorry :D

chamber143
09-02-11, 14:12
LOL, getting silly in your two months of membership and 40 posts?

Pretty clever there. I'm sorry that many of us have shit to do than sit on the internet and act like we are doing something other than running around in your underwear acting like Jason bourne. I do read on here when I need to know about gear because I don't have the luxary of trying stuff out to find out its crap...the simple Comment was ...well...simple, hit the damn search button and all this regurgitation that is on this thread is right there. And for your education the only reason I joined was to respond to another stupid comment. Believe it or not alot of us are on here soaking up the extensive knowledge that is on this sight...but we may not have you post numbers.

wolf_walker
09-02-11, 14:55
At the risk of being off-topic for a moment, I assume sponsors pay the bills here or at least part of them, those guys with adds up top that track when one is clicked(and I do click them), and I assume further that part of getting sponsors and justifying whatever they charge is showing traffic to this site. I submit that if everyone searched, found answers in old threads, and we only talked about "new" things and issues, there would be even less traffic than there is now, and that may well be detrimental in the long run. This isn't a phenomenon native to this particular forum. While this does not justify over and over again threads, especially the silly one's, it is reason to re-hash some topics in my judgement. If every forum ran like everyone seems to think it should, they wouldn't be much of a forum, there could be a few pages of sticky topics covering most things and that's about it. There are a myrid other reasons why re-hashing is psychologically healthy but I'll leave it at that. I say this as a usenet and bbs vet from way back who is quite fond of the assorted technical forums online, and very thankful for them.

carry on.

Nightvisionary
09-02-11, 15:04
I have read that BCM is excellent. Spikes is too. My Spikes mid length carbine has been flawless for thousands of rounds.

Watrdawg
09-02-11, 15:48
When I first came on board here I read as many Stickies as possible. I also found Rob_S's manufacturers chart and I read as many different threads concerning the questions I had. They all gave me very good answers to the questions I had and still have. Spikes or BCM? - you will find many answers and threads concerning similar or same topics. I'm sure the sum of those will give you some great info and food for thought.

There are some great people here that will nudge or even push you in the right direction. You will learn quickly who they are and the respect they have on this site is well earned. You will also have a few kncukleheads, I was tempted to use another descriptive phrase but decided not to, that will trash you for not using the SEARCH option and they will take a GREATER THAN THOU position. Of course they will not offer any sort of productive info either. I usually let them flap in the wind and ignore the drivel.

By the way I can't give you an opinion as far as which one is better than the other. The main reason why is that I have never shot a Spikes weapon. After reading all that I did I opted for a BCM 14.5" Middy. I've put a little over 2000 rounds through it and have shot it in 2 classes. This isn't a lot of use compared to what others put their weapons through. However, my BCM has performed exactly like others have said theirs has. It runs and runs and runs. Fairly soon I'm probably going to purchase another BCM configuration. Then again there is always DD, Noveske and LMT to think about also. Not discounting Colt either, I just like the options the other 3 have compared to the Colt's.

northern1
09-02-11, 21:23
In my circle of friends and co-workers I'm an expert but around here I'm a total newb. Do what I did.... Take some time, for me that was a couple months, ask yourself what you want in your rifle relative to its intended usage and then search, study, search, read, search, study and buy a quality rifle. Don't over complicate it.

Me ? I went with a Spikes. I don't give a shit about roll marks or marketing styles. I know other companies in other indusrties with some rediculous marketing but their product is legitimately bad ass. All the complaints I had heard about Spikes were from people who didn't own one. And the people who did seemed pleased. It was a convenient buy for me so I gave them a chance. Will I buy Spikes again? I havnt decided yet.

Just buy something and beat the piss out of it the best you can. Your rifle will earn your trust and respect and you'll become more proficient with it. At least that's what I'm trying to do. Good luck

chamber143
09-03-11, 13:47
I hope that was sarcasm

Hence the smileyface. Sheesh I get bitched out when I use the Smiley then get bitched out for fogeting it. Worse than a bunch of women

13MPG
09-04-11, 03:26
While Spikes might be producing a better rifle now I would still go with a BCM for multiple reasons. As IG said the Colt from G&R would also be a great choice.