PDA

View Full Version : SR15 E3

wilson1911
08-31-11, 17:54
:help:

I have been lurking and doing alot of reading here over the the last two months. I must say this is a great forum with alot of great guys.
and to think I almost bought a RRA. Good thing I found this place.

I have decided to get a black gun, but I am not sure where to purchase it. I am in the DFW area(just moved back here from Florida) and was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a KAC SR 15 ?????

I have made a few calls and went to the gun show, but no dice. the gun show is not what it used to be.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. I am trying to buy locally before going to the net. Also, I do realize this is a high end item that not many will carry.

jonconsiglio
08-31-11, 18:12
Just order one from Casey at Lawman's and Shooters in Florida. They're KAC's storefront and it'll save you the tax. I'm not familiar with DFW area and I'm not sure who would carry it though I my local shop has ordered a few, so I'd imagine it would be the same there, but you'll pay a premium plus tax.

duece71
08-31-11, 20:22
Does KAC have a distributor list on their website? Maybe a call to them would tell you where to find one in your area.

Stickman
08-31-11, 20:25
Just order one from Casey at Lawman's and Shooters in Florida.

Casey is a righteous dude.

mtdawg169
08-31-11, 21:45
Casey is a righteous dude.

Stickman speaks the truth. ;-)

TehLlama
09-01-11, 07:07
Only reason I would consider suggesting to look elsewhere are on used SR15 or halves. I still got one from Casey.

wilson1911
09-02-11, 12:40
Stickman, I want to say.......your pics are the best !!!!!!!
I can't tell you how many hours I have spent looking at your photo's.
I guess I will give Casey a shout. I am going to assume their price will be $1900.00 or so, is this what I should be looking to pay ?

I am a southpaw and I usually mod anything I have. The kac just seems like all it needs is a 3t brake. I do wish I could shoot someones, but I know that would be hard to do since it would be like test driving a Porsche. There is a point of no return after doing either.

If the gun turns out to be anything like my wilson, I will be in love all over again hehe.:sarcastic:

Army Chief
09-02-11, 14:19
Stickman, I want to say.......your pics are the best !!!!!!!
I can't tell you how many hours I have spent looking at your photo's.
I guess I will give Casey a shout. I am going to assume their price will be $1900.00 or so, is this what I should be looking to pay ?

I am a southpaw and I usually mod anything I have. The kac just seems like all it needs is a 3t brake. I do wish I could shoot someones, but I know that would be hard to do since it would be like test driving a Porsche. There is a point of no return after doing either.

If the gun turns out to be anything like my wilson, I will be in love all over again hehe.:sarcastic:

The SR doesn't even need a 3T brake. To be honest, the Battlecomp is especially well-suited to this rifle -- and a fraction of the Triple Tap's cost. Take it from a fellow southpaw, SR-owner, and longtime Wilson 1911 owner (and WC board Mod at 1911Forum), this rifle will not disappoint.

AC

GermanSynergy
09-02-11, 14:35
The SR doesn't even need a 3T brake. To be honest, the Battlecomp is especially well-suited to this rifle -- and a fraction of the Triple Tap's cost. Take it from a fellow southpaw, SR-owner, and longtime Wilson 1911 owner (and WC board Mod at 1911Forum), this rifle will not disappoint.

AC

Very true. My SR15 has a BC 1.0 and a Vltor A5 RE, and it shoots as smooth as greased lightning.

jonconsiglio
09-02-11, 15:54
Very true. My SR15 has a BC 1.0 and a Vltor A5 RE, and it shoots as smooth as greased lightning.

Both of mine had an A5 and a Triple Tap. I sold one upper and both Triple Taps and went to a flash hider and it's still extremely smooth. I don't think it needs any type of brake, but I think the Triple Tap is only necessary if running a NT4 can. T buy a T3 now is almost just to say you have one since it's $330 more and does nothing really better (besides mount the KAC can) than the BattleComp. I have two of those as well it's there's almost no noticeable difference, and definitely not a $330 difference. ETA - I'm not implying that people without KAC cans are buying them for show..

If you want to run a KAC suppressor, then don't waste the money on either the heavy Nt4 or T3 and wait for the $500 MAMS and their new 16oz can that's more in lime with the Surefire and AAC cans.

Just my 2 cents after owning everything in question but the MAMS.

ARKAR
09-02-11, 16:13
Hope the OP doesn't mind me posting in here, but I need some opinions on a sell/buy.

Would you guys sell a like-new HK P7M8 9mm pistol to buy an
SR15 E3 upper? I have an E3 lower already and I'm fighting the
urge to sell the HK to buy an upper. I never shoot the HK and I
think I'd really much rather have the SR15. The lower has a MK
12 upper on it right now, but I can build another lower for it.

Thanks,
ARKAR

wilson1911
09-02-11, 18:30

AC

ok, let me ask you this. Since I am a southpaw and do tend to mod out all of my weapons, is this purchase worth more than geting a DD or noveske or BC ?

I have not shot an AR in many years( used to own a bushy) so there is no muscle memory and it seemed a lot simpler to go this route. I see from here most love thier KAC over others.

Let me state that my reasons for this purchase over the other top tier rifles.
1. full ambi controls
2. already got the mods most put on
3. quality

The only downfall is price, this is, only until you add up what modding would cost you over the others. I think I have read every post on the SR, both the pro's and con's. This one point is demystified and actually a boone on the purchase imho.
Whats actually funny is......what am I going to do for mods to make it mine ???? It seems so good right out of the box. My Wilson is as close as I have ever come to perfection, I only changed the slide release and safety to accomodate me being a southpaw. When I handle the weapon it just feels so right. :D
This is what appears to come from owners of the SR.

P.S.
If Stickman:dirol: is still around, I would be honored if he would post some of his pics in this thread.

NongShim
09-02-11, 19:46
Hope the OP doesn't mind me posting in here, but I need some opinions on a sell/buy.

Would you guys sell a like-new HK P7M8 9mm pistol to buy an
SR15 E3 upper? I have an E3 lower already and I'm fighting the
urge to sell the HK to buy an upper. I never shoot the HK and I
think I'd really much rather have the SR15. The lower has a MK
12 upper on it right now, but I can build another lower for it.

Thanks,
ARKAR

NO WAY. When was the last shipment of P7M8s made? That's right. I wouldn't be getting rid of that, unless it was for something else hard to get. KAC is churning out plenty of guns (by the way, it shows). I would just save some ducats, and get what you want later.

Rohardi
09-02-11, 20:34
Let me state that my reasons for this purchase over the other top tier rifles.
1. full ambi controls
2. already got the mods most put on
3. quality

This hits the nail on the head. The gun is 100% ready to go out of the box. You can make tweaks to make it yours, but for the most part its read to go out of the box. I also shoot rifle lefty, the ambi is very nice to have.

austinN4
09-03-11, 04:21
Does KAC have a distributor list on their website?
Yes, there are several listed in the DFW area, but I know nothing about them.

wilson1911
09-03-11, 12:46
I did a bit more research today and Cheaper than dirt has one in stock for 1924.00 (plus tax) pickup in Mckinney.

I have also sent an email to Lawman's and am awaiting response from them. I am hoping they will be a bit cheaper ordering from them.

If there is anything I need to ask when purchasing, please let me know. I love freebee stuff !!!

Just got an email from Casey at lawman's....he is no longer there.

Now lets give him a big congrats on transfering over to Knight's Armament !!!!!

Powertrip
09-18-11, 06:23
I just bought my E3 lower from Troy at Lawmen's. It'll be arriving this week if all goes well.

Post when you get yours, I'm sure you're as excited to get it as I am with mine!

archad
09-18-11, 15:30
I just ordered a SR15 E3 from cheaperthandirt $1879 shipped to my dealer. Turning 40 has been rough on me. I just got my NGA X-7 in may:ph34r:

wilson1911
09-18-11, 23:20
I ordered my kac at lawmans last week. Seems shipping is taking more than a week to get here.
I just got back from the sand dunes and will call Monday to see if she is there. I can only hope. Also been watching the magpul carbine class DVD. Wow those are good.

Army Chief
09-18-11, 23:34
I ordered my kac at lawmans last week. Seems shipping is taking more than a week to get here.
I just got back from the sand dunes and will call Monday to see if she is there. I can only hope. Also been watching the magpul carbine class DVD. Wow those are good.

Conceptually they are very good; the challenge is to translate the knowledge from the head to the hands, and that can be surprisingly complex, since it's one of those recognition and repetition things.

If there is a VSM instructor in your AO, I would encourage you to take a class and prepare to really have your eyes opened. Great, great stuff.

AC

wilson1911
09-19-11, 22:02
Picked up my Kac from the dealer today. I was quite suprised at how light it is. The machine work seems to be very good and tight. Now if I can just go get some ammo to shoot her.

Thanks for everyone that has replied to this thread and all the hundreds of posts I read to get to this point. My hat is off to all the Op's that take time to post what others do not know.

archad
09-21-11, 23:20
Mine is going be here friday. I'm think about getting the URX III from aimsurplus and sending the upper into adco have them install the URX III and cut the barrel back to 14.7 install a battle comp 1.0 perm attached.... opinions wanted please

TheLefty
09-22-11, 03:39
Mine is going be here friday. I'm think about getting the URX III from aimsurplus and sending the upper into adco have them install the URX III and cut the barrel back to 14.7 install a battle comp 1.0 perm attached.... opinions wanted please

Unless it's changed and wasn't updated, this quote was taken directly from Adco's website (click shop services, then assembly/testing):

Upper Disassemble - Reassemble Any complete upper $50.00
If you send a complete upper which needs to be disassembled, then reassembled, you need to select this service. We do not have the tools needed to install KAC URX rails.

archad
09-22-11, 21:51
Well Fedex delivered my SR-15 E3 today. I took delivery a few hours ago. So far I have changed the grip to the MIAD and BCM gunfighter mod 4. It feels DAM good right of the box. I'm not sure about the URXIII yet anyone done this to theirs yet?

not a great pic from camera phone but this post would be worthless without pics right:):)

http://fototime.com/EFA76DC4982148A/standard.jpg

Army Chief
09-23-11, 06:01
I too made a quick grip change and charging handle substitution, and I think those are fairly standard upgrades for most new SR owners. I do not have any issues with the standard rail though, so a costly URXIII conversion is not something that I would actively pursue as a near-term priority.

AC

mtdawg169
09-23-11, 06:14
I too made a quick grip change and charging handle substitution, and I think those are fairly standard upgrades for most new SR owners. I do not have any issues with the standard rail though, so a costly URXIII conversion is not something that I would actively pursue as a near-term priority.

AC

Agreed. The stock rail is a very usable length. Unless your grip style dictates that you need the longer rail or you just want to get on the slick rail bandwagon, the stock URXII will serve you well.

archad
09-23-11, 22:10
I went to the range this afternoon to shoot the my new SR15E3 along with my NGA X-7. I put a 3.5x10 scope on the KAC just for some accuracy tests with Hornady TAP FPD 75gr. I attached my NGA lower with the KAC upper my NGA lower has the Wilson TTU. I did get better groups with NGA lower due to the lighter trigger pull. I'm going out all day tommorrow to do some more shooting. Here are some pics of the KAC and NGA hybrid.

Before
http://fototime.com/CDD70485A3D77D8/standard.jpg
http://fototime.com/FB162BA44787DE3/standard.jpg
Hybrid
http://fototime.com/11BD50C3A74D725/standard.jpg
http://fototime.com/0E8AFCE71E0D33C/standard.jpg

hotrodder636
09-24-11, 09:06
Mine have been ordered and should be showing up either Monday or Tuesday! Will post pics after arrival. Already have the Gunfighter Mod 4 and Magpul MOE grip ready for install....haha....looks like I am not the only one.

hotrodder636
10-02-11, 11:18
My SR15's have come in yesterday and I will try to get the pics up in the next few days!:)

GermanSynergy
10-02-11, 14:41
My SR15E3 was quite the hit with the ladies yesterday. :D

18 or so women, ages 22-27 got to blast away with my SR15, BattleComp 1.0 and Vltor A5.

Sorry, no pics. :cool:

hotrodder636
10-05-11, 09:09
Here they are. On one of them I have already installed a Magpul MOE grip and BCM GF charging handle (MOD 4) and my T-1 with Larue mount. The other is factory.

leibermuster
10-05-11, 12:48
Get The KAC brother, we finally got some KAC lowers up here in Canuckastan and I got mine on the way finally,been waiting for years, will get a KAC upper down the road as well, I already ordered another KAC lower as well.

I think KAC is one of the best companies out there and the passion shows just look at the youtube vid of KAC at Shot show you can see the passion in the facial expression of Red knight Jr 3rd. I have always been a big fan of KAC and there are not many other companies that really impress me out there on the same level of KAC.

ALCOAR
10-05-11, 13:23
Well said, however I can't mention KAC without mentioning LMT as I feel they are equally unique and special outfits.

You will love the IWS lowers as I believe them to be superior in so many ways(I'm a lefty though). I won't be buying anything but them for the foreseeable future. People are just now copying them. KAC and LMT are truly innovative companies.

leibermuster
10-05-11, 14:44
Yes LMT has impressed me a lot too, I have not owned anything substantial from them except a few parts here and there, but they are awesome and there guns run very well from what i have seen and herd.

One of our retailers up here brings them in and for the price and performance they seem to be the real big winner here.

That being said KAC is always on the top of my list, and all make any excuse to get there products and that is from an HK guy.