PDA

View Full Version : solid guide rod on 1911

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-07-07, 21:16
Hey guys,

What is the general take on one-piece guide rods on 1911s?:confused: I have a Springfield loaded that has one. The gun is reliable, which is more than I can say for most 1911s I have owned. I hate to mess up a good thing, so do you think it is worth replacing with the classic short guide rod, spring a and plug?

Greg

Sry0fcr
11-07-07, 21:34
It's worth it to avoid the PITA it is to field strip with a FLGR.

RSS1911
11-07-07, 21:36
I don't like them. I think if they were necessary, Mr. Browning would have put one in the original.

Dport
11-07-07, 21:37
I'm not a "1911 guy" so I may be way off base here, but if your gun is reliable as is, why screw with it?

11-07-07, 22:24
I don't like them. I think if they were necessary, Mr. Browning would have put one in the original.

I guess bever tail grip safety, fully supported ramped barrels, lowered ports, mag wells etc. aren't nessary either?

Nothing wrong with a full length guide rod. A paper clip with the proper bend works great for disasembly.

carshooter
11-07-07, 22:42
I own 1911's with both full length and standard guide rods, and while I prefer a standard guide rod and plug, I've never felt strongly enough about it to change one out.

I do think that it's easier to dissassemble the gun with a standard length guide rod and the standard guide rod provides the supposed added benefit of being able to cycle the slide by pressing the bottom of it against a hard surface.

I see no advantage or added benefit of full length guide rods, but it's never been enough to make me take one out of a gun I own.

RSS1911
11-07-07, 22:52
I guess bever tail grip safety, fully supported ramped barrels, lowered ports, mag wells etc. aren't nessary either?

No, actually none of them is necessary. Each, however, has a specific use or function that aids either speed or comfort. I've been shooting 1911s for 35 years, and have never seen any utility offered by the FLGR. I don't think they necessarily hurt anything, and if you like them, use them.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-07-07, 22:53
Thanks guys. I think I will keep it until I find a good reason to change it. I don't press check on the plug, so that is out. I sort of see being able to field strip quickly, but it is no big deal to me.

Now, how do I get rid of this dam ambi saftety!:D

11-07-07, 23:39
No, actually none of them is necessary. Each, however, has a specific use or function that aids either speed or comfort. I've been shooting 1911s for 35 years, and have never seen any utility offered by the FLGR. I don't think they necessarily hurt anything, and if you like them, use them.

Your dating yourself now;) By the way Im only 29........:D

There I go wishing again.

Anyway, you remember the first GI 1911 mod you ever shot? Thats the gun the Glock guys alway refer to when the suggest 1911's suck!!!! Nothing wrong with the Browning original it just needed some tweeking.;)

However I do agree with you on the FLGR. I don't have one on my daily carry 1911 bushing weapon. However my barbicue gun does.....

Barry in IN
11-08-07, 17:10
I don't like them. I dont see that they do anything.

The commonly given reason for them is that they "prevent recoil spring kinking".
If you look at a 1911 with standard guide rod, you'll see the front of the recoil spring is surrounded by the recoil spring plug, and the rear is supported by the (standard) guide rod. I between, is about 1/4 inch of unsupported spring. That distance decreases as the slide comes back, of course. If a 1911 kinks it's spring in that 1/4" (or less) of space, it has problems a guide rod won't fix.

Two usual reasons given opposing them are: 1) They complicate field stripping, and 2) They eliminate one method of one-hand slide racking.

I admit the field stripping isn't so bad with some of them- the ones that are one-piece and stop slightly short of the barrel bushing. You can usually strip that gun like a regular 1911. I think the SA Loadeds have this type.

The one-hand slide racking thing (pushing the lower muzzle end against an object) is, I admit, probably a VERY rare need. Honestly, I have doubts it's ever happened.
But I guess that's no reason to give up the ability to do it.

The only thing I see they do that's claimed is add weight to the muzzle end.
If you want that.
But I can't tell any difference made by that fraction of an ounce of weight, and doubt many can. A rod made of some heavy material may be different.

Robb Jensen
11-08-07, 17:12

The only benefit I ever see with full length guide rods is in competition.........they add weight up near the muzzle of the pistol.

sff70
11-08-07, 17:24
FLGR's do nothing positive.

They make the pistol harder to disassemble.

I've used FLGR's in IPSC competition (including the sprinco tungsten model) and found no advantage.

YMMV

On a bull barrel gun, you do need a FLGR

RD62
11-08-07, 19:12
Mine ran fine with a FLGR and has run fine without. I prefer without, but that's all it is, my preference.

-RD62

SGB
11-09-07, 02:03
First thing I remove is the FLGR............ yuck.

-Wes-
11-09-07, 11:09
I know you made no mention of the FLGR being a 2 piece, however the two SA "Loaded" Models I've had both came with the 2 piece FLGR. The problem I had with them was no matter how tight I wrenched on them, they seemed to always shoot loose after 100 or so rounds. Loosening up to the point that they would bind and start causing FTFs.

Since switching out to GI rods and plugs I haven't had any problems.

markm
11-09-07, 11:24
I guess every website has to have this thread on it.:D

Barry in IN
11-09-07, 12:10
I admit the field stripping isn't so bad with some of them- the ones that are one-piece and stop slightly short of the barrel bushing. You can usually strip that gun like a regular 1911. I think the SA Loadeds have this type.

Upon further thought, I was thinking of the Kimber FLGR.
As was pointed out, the SA Loaded has the two-piece screw-together type (that usually come unscrewed whenever they feel like it in my experience).

Regardless of the type- When I get a new 1911, as soon as I know I'll be keeping it a while, I replace either type ASAP.

Demigod- Yes, I think you are correct. And to save further effort on my part in the future:
I like Heinies more than Novaks;
I like the .45, but don't mind carrying a 9mm;
And no, I had not heard the latest rumor that Colt is closing.

Spurholder
11-09-07, 13:05

The commonly given reason for them is that they "prevent recoil spring kinking".
If you look at a 1911 with standard guide rod, you'll see the front of the recoil spring is surrounded by the recoil spring plug, and the rear is supported by the (standard) guide rod. I between, is about 1/4 inch of unsupported spring. That distance decreases as the slide comes back, of course. If a 1911 kinks it's spring in that 1/4" (or less) of space, it has problems a guide rod won't fix.

That's the best argument for not wasting time/money on a FLGR. Wayne Novak liked that philosophy so much that he used to have a visualization of this on his website.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-09-07, 23:32
Hey,

I shot 200 rounds of .45 ball through her today. When I got home I cleaned it up a little and found that the guide rod had backed out. That settles that. There were no malfunctions though. I have 400 rounds through it since new (Wednesday) without any hiccups.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-10-07, 00:40
I went ahead and snatched an old colt plug, spring and guide. Feels good but I won't be trusting the gun until I get a few rounds downrange. Back to my P7!

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-10-07, 13:08
Just got back from the range. 200 shots and no problem with the new plug. That is 600 rounds through the Springer without a single hiccup. For me, that is amazing luck with a 1911.

HolyRoller
11-10-07, 14:08
Wahoo--you figured it out by yourself without my having to say anything! Congrats on a functional 1911 so far, but keep shooting it, because some problems might not show up for a few hundred rounds more.

The silly FLGR was the first thing to come off my Springfield TRP. It didn't have the little paper clip hole the instructions said it would and I believe I had to just unscrew it in two pieces, which promptly went in the parts bin. With the new-old short guide from the retired 1911 I keep around for organ donation, my TRP has been working okeydoke. It did shoot low, but I'm not sure if the guide rod change had any effect on the elevation.

Lots of "premium" 1911s come with FLGRs these days, but did you ever notice the very most premium ones, such as the Springfield Pro, don't.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-11-07, 17:43
Guys,

My Springfield Loaded has a 7+ pound trigger. Otherwise, it is crisp with a very short reset. I just wish it was a little lighter. I was thinking about getting one of the 4.5 pound C&S drop-in triggers. Any potential pitfalls I should know about? Any other solutions (less radical).
:D

Don Robison
11-11-07, 18:02
Now, how do I get rid of this dam ambi saftety!:D

You can send it to me. I'm one of those "dam" lefties:D

HolyRoller
11-11-07, 19:11
The simplest way to reduce your trigger pull weight is to detail strip it enough to get the sear spring out, and bend the middle prong toward the rear a LITTLE bit. Reassemble and try the trigger. Repeat as necessary until it's down to about 4 pounds. I don't suggest any lighter pull weight for a service pistol.

Best solution is to send it to a reputable smith for a trigger job. I have no experience with allegedly drop-in 1911 fire control groups but I would check around very carefully before relying on them.

BigEd63
11-14-07, 17:23
I got a one piece FLGRs on 2 1911's I bought.

They work fine so why waste money replacing them?

I think it's an indiviual asthetic thing myself and I've zero trouble field stripping my pistols.

RD62
11-14-07, 18:59
Also if it still has the ILS, Springfield puts a heavier mainspring in them. I replaced mine with a S&A MSH to eliminate the ILS (which I didn't use) and replaced the mainspring with a 20#. You could just replace the mainspring without changing the ILS of course. It's only a couple $$ and should help make a difference. Glad you are enjoying your new 1911. My "Loaded" has been nearly trouble free. One hiccup early on, but a free trip back to SA cured the problem and I haven't had one problem since. That was about five years ago.

-RD62

knguye11
11-16-07, 18:38
It's doesn't heard to try it out. If it doesn't work just switch it back.