PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 G19 Broken Locking Block

dog guy
08-31-11, 21:37
While opening up my Gen 3 G19, serial PPX###, I found the locking block in 2 pieces. Picture the locking block as a right arm and left arm connected by a transverse bar. The fracture happened right where the transverse bar joins the right arm. There is a 6. stamped in the transverse arm if that helps identify style or build date. I'll be calling Glock in the morning, but a web search does not come up with much of a history of this happening on Gen 3 G19. The gun only has app 500 rounds of factory ammo through it. I added a NY1 spring after about 100 rounds, and was changing to the 3.5 pound OEM connector when I found this. Anybody else run across this? The gun functioned properly through the end of my last range session, and the two pieces were still in their proper place until I went to lift the block out. I'm not sure how obvious this failure might be with casual inspection.

ST911
08-31-11, 21:57
Call Glock and let them take care of it. With a round count that low, it's a metallurgical problem of some sort.

If the fracture occurs in such a manner that the pieces stay in alignment, the gun will continue to run indefinitely. I had a G23 with a broken locking block that ran without issue for a lengthy period of time.

dog guy
09-01-11, 08:15
Morning update: spoke to Glock warranty, and they're sending a replacement today. He said that this is an unusual failure but not unheard of. He didn't need the failed part sent back, as he'd seen this kind of break before. Very good CS and backing the product, a little disappointing in the failure.

Nephrology
09-01-11, 08:36
Glock was always good to me about parts replacements. I randomly found an olive 10mm/.45 EDP bearing in my G17 - they sent me a black 9mm EDP sight unseen.

Nemecsek
09-02-11, 14:34
I have seen a few broken locking blocks on heavily used Gen2 G22's that were used at our academy but never cleaned etc. The guns fired fine with the broken blocks. We only noticed them during an armorers class when we detail stripped them and the blocks came out in two pieces. Your part must have had some type of flaw.

SWAT Lt.
09-03-11, 09:13
The broken locking blocks I have seen were in .40caliber Glock pistols, which I suspect were from hot ammo and weak recoil springs (poor PM procedures). I have not seen one in 9mm but I have far more exposure to the .40 cal platforms since that's what we use. My guess would be that you got a substandard quality locking block in your gun. It has been my experience that a substandard quality factory part (whichever part it is) will likely break within the first 500 or so rounds.