PDA

View Full Version : First time shooting an AR

sirgilligan
09-01-11, 08:21
I was home in Kentucky last week. To my surprise a national shooting event was being held in Park City. Went to that and had fun seeing such a thing.

My cousin brought out a pre-ban Colt and a brand new Colt LE. (Forgive me, but I don't know the finer details and models of these rifles)

He had just put an ACOG on the pre-ban and an Aimpoint on the new LE model

He also had a new Glock 19 that we shot as well.

Bot optics were easy to sight in and fun to shoot.

I finally understand what people mean about the ringing sound in your ear next to the stock. :)

I think I will get an Aimpoint for my black rifle.

The new Colt LE had never been fired or cleaned as far as I know, ran just fine, as did the new Glock.

It was fun.

sirgilligan
09-17-11, 16:22
Zero malfunctions.
Approximately 120 rounds fired.
8 different shooters, all commented that there is no recoil.

Was shooting low and right. Made all adjustments with front sight.

Got it shooting well at 35 yards and then shot at 135 yard target (a rock the size of a basketball, used range finder for distance). No problem eating the rock up.

Shot 55 grain and 62 grain PMC ammo. Same zero worked equally well for each ammo at those ranges.

All shooting was free handed or using a stick (mono-pod I guess).

Didn't measure group sizes because I would load 5 rounds, hand it to someone, they would shoot, then do it again, over and over.

I will do some groupings when I am out by myself.

The 135 yard rock shooting, which I done free hand, tells me that it is very accurate and precise. So no concerns.

Back to SCAR, everyone liked it and could see why it is so well liked. Light, easy to handle. It was a toss up on which side we all liked the charging handle.

So, no malfunctions, no dislikes, no regret.

Compared to shooting my cousin's Colt AR 15's - I liked the Colt's just fine and I can't say one is better than the other. I didn't help my cousin clean his AR's but the SCAR is pretty dang easy.