PDA

View Full Version : Man w/gun in our 'hood - can't make this stuff up

PaulL
09-01-11, 09:14
Dude hijacks cigarette truck and dumps cigarettes to help evade police. (http://galvestondailynews.com/story/254530)

The carjacker happened to run near our neighborhood, and the neighbor came over to tell my wife to lock up and be careful. She calls me, not in fear or wondering what to do, but to warn me that I better sing out before I come in the house. She then sends me this picture:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/truthseeker1106/Gun%20Pics/e0a13de8.jpg

I'm not sure what the paper towels are for, but whatever... She holed up in our upstairs game room and kept watch while the cops were running around looking for this goober. Needless to say, I called before I walked in.

Stuff for me/others to think about:

1) Does wife know how to really RUN that carbine? She's very good with the handgun, but an armed intruder deserves rifle fire. Need to work on carbine handling.

2) Upstairs is possibly a very good place to be if you need to defend yourself. There's only one way up. Then again, floors aren't bulletproof.

3) Secured firearms - if a fleeing suspect broke into your house, would they then become a heavily armed fleeing suspect?

4) Need secured firearms upstairs and downstairs

5) Living in a "nice" neighborhood does not insulate you from the turds. Turds can be imported into your safe zone.

4x4twenty6
09-01-11, 09:58
You got a good woman their sir. HAHA!

I worked nights at the local pd and i was able to come home here and there if i needed something or had to change. I was close enough to hit my house and be back in my beat in 5 minutes if i had to.

There was a different pd that worked my neighborhood and we often got their In progress radio traffic to assist if we needed to. there were a few times it got hairy. It was a nice street surrounded by shit like most suburban new orleans areas. Nice is where criminals go to get shit.

When my wife would be home alone our dog slept in the room with her and she had my 870 12 ga. on her side of the bed. She always set the alarm to instant and kept the bedroom door locked. i told her if that alarm went off to put the phone on speaker and dial 911 and post up with the bed as a shield, if someone came to our bedroom door and blast away. if i didnt call it wasnt me.

They had an inmate escape from the court house which was 3/4mile from the house and i got the call from a buddy to tell me to be on alert cuz they were searching. glad the wife wasnt home alone cuz i would have been nervous as all hell.

NWPilgrim
09-01-11, 12:15
Perhaps the paper towels were for mopping up afterward? She has confidence!

Good thinking on her part. Lot of good observations. She probably would have defended herself well.

I think it was Jeff Cooper suggested in one of his writings to have a grilled gate which can be locked in the upstairs hallway near the top of the stairs. Prevents or slows intruders when locked at night or when you have retreated to upstairs. Yet allows you to see/shoot them from a cover position. Lately, with grandchildren visiting us it seems this would also be a good substitute for the little hallway gate we have for protecting crawlers/toddlers from accessing the stairs when waking up from naps of in the morning.

Suwannee Tim
09-01-11, 14:40
You can handle almost any situation with a couple of guns and a roll of paper towels.

My thoughts exactly on keeping guns locked up. Plenty of folks have loaded guns stashed all over the place. Not me. I've got one in my pocket, the rest are locked up. I don't want an intruder or burglar to gain access to guns they may use on me or some innocent victim.

Irish
09-01-11, 14:51
She sounds a lot like my wife, awesome!

Isn't it amazing how the government comes in restricts, regulates and imposes massive taxes on a product and then somehow magically a black market is created... I was just in upstate NY and cigarettes were $9.95 a pack!

Magic_Salad0892
09-02-11, 12:26
I love cigarettes. I hate that I quit. You've a good woman. Think we got lucky.