PDA

View Full Version : Slugs through a Mossberg 590A1

Chris60119
09-01-11, 23:37
I'm pretty sure it's made for slugs. Thats why it has ghost sights, right? Why is everyone telling me not to shoot slugs through it? They say it will ruin the barrel.

Thomas M-4
09-01-11, 23:53
I'm pretty sure it's made for slugs. Thats why it has ghost sights, right? Why is everyone telling me not to shoot slugs through it? They say it will ruin the barrel.

Because they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

You can shoot rifled slugs, some times they are called foster type slugs through it.

Chris60119
09-01-11, 23:54
Because they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

You can shoot rifled slugs, some times they are called foster type slugs through it.

I bought rifled slugs for it. I've put one box through it no problems. There a little pricey to be plinking around with all the time.

Thomas M-4
09-02-11, 00:10
I bought rifled slugs for it. I've put one box through it no problems. There a little pricey to be plinking around with all the time.

Rifled slugs /Foster type are for smooth bore shotgun.
Sabot slugs are for rifled barrel shot gun "Slug Gun" .

The 590 A1 20" with ghost ring sights if my memory is correct has improved/ modified choke. Rifled slugs are supposed to be fired through a improved or modified choke. I have shot them through a full choke by accident never had a problem though. But they are not recommended to be used with a full choke.

GitmoSmoke
09-02-11, 08:54
Check the barrel. It will be stamped on there if you aren't supposed to be shooting slugs out of it. The Mossberg 835 says no slugs, because it has on overbored barrel for the huge shot payloads the 3.5 inch shell has. The slug won't fit the bore properly and possibly wedge in. That is most likely where the bad info is coming from.

RepeatDefender
09-02-11, 10:35
I shoot rifled slugs and Federal PDX1 through my 590A1 all the time. Never an issue and quite accurate to my tested distances (10-20yds)

Chris60119
09-02-11, 13:11
I don't think the people at work know what a 590A1 is. I think they all have there shotguns for bird/fowl shooting. I know they all hunt deer with rifles..

Thanks for backing me up. I knew I was doing nothing wrong.

ST911
09-02-11, 13:21
590A1s w/ GRS, Federal Tactical tru-ball slugs issued here. Shoot them.

decodeddiesel
09-02-11, 16:02

I fire slugs though my 18.5" 590A1 all of the time. Usually Brenneke, but often I will fire Remington or Federal slugs.

Whom ever told you this little nugget is completely ignorant, and you should stop listening to them for gun advise.

Axcelea
09-02-11, 21:07
Would like to know who "everyone" is. In general I would not be surprised if some random people here and there mess up due to not understanding chokes, smooth barrels vs rifled barrels, shot slugs and looked down and saw their pretty barrel is marked up and freak, or who knows what but to have a lot do it is kinda weird.

Bottom line though is I haven't had issues, doesn't say anything against it (manuals are generally king), don't think many LE or .mil would adopt it if it couldn't use slugs, and personally haven't had anyone say it to me.

Backstop
09-02-11, 21:55
I have a 590, #53663, modified choke.

Fed LE 127 shoots great out of it.

Chris60119
09-03-11, 02:13
Would like to know who "everyone" is. In general I would not be surprised if some random people here and there mess up due to not understanding chokes, smooth barrels vs rifled barrels, shot slugs and looked down and saw their pretty barrel is marked up and freak, or who knows what but to have a lot do it is kinda weird.

Bottom line though is I haven't had issues, doesn't say anything against it (manuals are generally king), don't think many LE or .mil would adopt it if it couldn't use slugs, and personally haven't had anyone say it to me.

2 of them are mechanics at work and the other guy is just another person I work with. They all claim to have a ton of guns and guy claimed to of worked for the state patrol at one time (I think he is full of it on just about everything he talks about). But the 2 mechanics are good guys.

AC45ACP
09-03-11, 07:37
I have shot 100's of Slug threw a 590A1 and others like SPX, Benelli M4's and never have had any problems.

JeepDriver
09-03-11, 10:46
I have 2 590A1's and have shot plenty of slugs through both, I've never seen any warnings to the contrary with any 590A1's.

I also have a 500 Trophy that is a rifled barrel I use for deer that is only shot with sabot rounds.

Axcelea
09-04-11, 11:39
2 of them are mechanics at work and the other guy is just another person I work with. They all claim to have a ton of guns and guy claimed to of worked for the state patrol at one time (I think he is full of it on just about everything he talks about). But the 2 mechanics are good guys.

Might be worth talking about it to the mechanics, might be some misunderstanding somewhere down the line that can get straightened out, might be a learning moment. The third guy is probably not worth looking into.

mskdgunman
09-04-11, 15:15
Our agency issues the Mossberg 12 gauge and we shoot slugs through them all the time. Some folks have no clue what they are talking about.

Winter
09-04-11, 18:50

I would probably also suggest not listening to anything else that person says about firearms. Also pick yourself up a set of Centurion Slugs, 250 under $100 I just got a bunch and they have been great.

Skang
09-05-11, 01:17
Who is everybody you referring to?

People that has 28", 30" bird guns or clay guns? :D

ST911
09-05-11, 17:03
Looked at half a dozen 590A1s last night, all were marked cylinder bore.

Gibson
09-06-11, 19:38
I shoot Brenneke Special Forces Maximum Barrier Penetration through my Mossy 590 Special Purpose. Functions fine. 600 grains at 1650 fps.

Unbelievable what these will do. . .

m24shooter
09-15-11, 21:06
Looked at half a dozen 590A1s last night, all were marked cylinder bore.
Yup. Cylinders are standard for the line.
OP, GRS kits are not solely for slugs. They are for buck as well, they just allow a little more precision when shooting slugs.
There is no problem with shooting slugs through a 590 or A1.