PDA

View Full Version : Blade-Tech "Nano" IWB first impressions

nickdrak
09-02-11, 13:18
I picked up a Blade-Tech "Nano" IWB holster on whim after receiving an email from PoilceStore.com which is Brownell's LE website: http://www.policestore.com/.aspx/pid=44586/Product/NANO_HOLSTER

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1787/sdc11324x.jpg

After doing some research on the Blade-Tech website it states that the cant of the holster is adjustable from zero to the "FBI" cant. I figured it may work for me for my new Gen4 G17 for appendix carry IWB, so I placed my order. Got it yesterday and I set the belt loops up for zero cant/AIWB.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2122/sdc11321v.jpg

The belt loops are also adjustable for belt width:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9400/sdc11314p.jpg

More pics:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4650/sdc11326j.jpg
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7779/sdc11327c.jpg

These pics were taken in a mirror so everything is reversed:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7209/sdc11331p.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4249/sdc11333i.jpg

Pro's:
Very comfortable.
Good retention.
Smooth draw and re-holster.
Offers the best full grip on the pistol of any AWIB holster I have tried thus far. (My normal carry is a CCC "Looper" for my M&P9 f/s)
Full sweat guard.
Price: $60 (I got mine for $50 shipped with my LE discount)

Con's:
Since it rides slightly higher than other AWIB holster I have tried, it seems to "print" more. Now, the G17 is a bigger pistol than I am used to carrying so a smaller pistol like my M&P9 might conceal better but the ride hight seems to cause it to be less concealable for me.
Build quality doesn't seem to be on-par with the other custom options on the market. (Only time will tell)

JonInWA
09-02-11, 13:33
I've run one with my G34 for several years, using it for both carry and IDPA competition. It's an excellent holster, and a bit less expensive then theit standard IWB as I recall (which I have multiple copies of, and like tremendously as well, for Glocks and other pistols/revolvers).

Best, Jon

SmokeJumper
09-02-11, 15:47
nickdrack- I too have been carrying a CCC Shaggy for a Glock but have been holding out for the 5Shot Leather AIWB rig for my HK45. I think you just gave me a great alternative with a great price point for the mean time. Good review, Blade-Tech has always done right by me.

GlockWRX
09-02-11, 15:51
I've got one as well. My only issue with it is the belt loop closest to the trigger guard interferes with my grip of the pistol. I had to round the top of the loop off.

gsr1911
09-02-11, 16:00
I have one for my SIG P220, quite happy with it. You're right, it does seem to ride higher than many other holsters, which I've also found causes it to print more. Since I usually wear an open front cover garment when I carry a full-size pistol, this hasn't been an issue for me.

Sam
09-02-11, 17:37
I wish I'd known that the police store/brownells are carrying these. :(

In July I ordered one for a full size M&P directly from Blade Tech. 4 weeks later I received a holster from them, for an M&P COMPACT. Called them and they had me send it back and they were going to rush me the correct holster. That's been 3 weeks now. Still no holster.

Some day I'll get to try this holster. Meanwhile, thanks for a thorough review and nice pics.

DocH
09-02-11, 17:51
Can anyone advise on the printing issue compared to an ArchAngel? I was about to order the AA in a few days,but I like the looks of this holster also.

ShipWreck
09-04-11, 08:19
I had a NANO for an HK USP compact about 3 years ago. Itw as a nice holster, but I've since owned a couple of Comptac holsters, and i prefer the comptacs

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-04-11, 09:04
The Nanos are really nice. It was the best holster I found back when I was trying to carry the Glock 19.

GKoenig
09-04-11, 09:28
To echo Mr Bell's comments, I loved my Nano for the G19.

Even though it isn't as artful, I found myself strapping on the Nano far more than my Sparks VM2 when I carried a G19. This was straight up IWB at 4 o'clock and not AIWB, but I still found it to be an excellent holster (if not under-rated by some more hip Kydex brands).

Sam
09-04-11, 09:39
This simple style of IWB is the oldest style and for most people (including myself) it's more desireable than the wider pancake shaped IWBs. I just received an economy version of the Nano, it's call the Phantom. It's made from injection molded plastic and only available for a few pistol models. Mine is for a G19, they make them for the Glocks, 1911s and Sigs (I think). It's identical in shape to the Nano, the straps are in the same position. It only costs $20 plus shipping. I really like this rig. I only wish that it was available for the M&P. Meanwhile the wait for my Nano for the M&P continues.

Yojimbo
09-04-11, 15:03
Looks like another good A-IWB holster. Thanks for the heads up on these!

mkmckinley
09-04-11, 16:21
I've been using one for my M&P9FS for a year and a half and am really happy with it. I like the slightly higher ride because it allows me to get a good grip consistently. I even bought one for my Glock 19 which I carry occasionally.

skipper49
09-04-11, 16:38
Very good review. I've been using Blade-Tech holsters for quite a few years, and will continue to do so, I like them. I also carry AIWB and have found that the higher ride height compromises concealment too much for me. I'm 6', 165 lbs and a butt height that's barely allowing me to get a good grip just disappears when worn AIWB. That makes the Nano a no-go for me, but we're all built differently.

Skip

Shadow1198
09-05-11, 22:44
The Blade Tech Nano is my current go to holster for carry. I carry a G17 3 o'clock, straight drop with it. You know, I've used more comfortable holsters. I've had the Comp Tac MTAC. I had a Raven Phantom. I've had other holsters that either concealed more effectively and/or were more comfortable. After really thinking about it though, I think the ultimate test is what do I actually use the most. The Nano is just easy. It's comfortable enough, thin kydex, sweat guard is thin enough it doesn't impede my draw stroke at all, easy on/off, has a little adjustment if I really want it, has good enough retention without being crazy, low profile and doesn't take up much space, conceals fairly effectively for what it is. Overall, I would have to say the Nano is my favorite in that I no longer use any of the other holsters, I just keep putting on the Nano every time. It's easy and it gets the job done.

Thanks for the pics Nick. I kind of wondered how the Nano might do at AIWB. Doesn't currently agree with my body type but, I'm getting there. ;)

davebee456
09-05-11, 23:44
I tried the Nano, I felt it rode way too way in the Hk USP Compact I had it for and the Glock 19 I had it for as well,
I am much much happier with the FIST Inc. IWB Thin Kydex Holsters with the Clip, very very sturdy and easy on easy off...
I think they might have a loop version as well.

The Fist's ride lower and print less and were much thinner.

chuckman
09-06-11, 08:34
I have had Blade-Techs for most of my pistols, in many varieties, and have liked them all. To me the pro's outweight the con's, especially for the price.

jstephens202
09-06-11, 12:08
Got a Nano for my 1911's and Glock 22. Don't use the Glock much, but everyday carry is my 1911(one of them) and I have found the Nano works so well for me I don't use anything else. Wish they had a Nano when I first started handgunning, then I wouldn't have these boxes of holsters that never get used!:big_boss:

dhunley1
09-06-11, 12:10
I carried my M&P9c in one for about a year. It's a good holster for the money.

Sam
09-14-11, 20:30
My correct sized Nano finally arrived today. What an ordeal, two months wait (one month for the wrong holster, another month for the correct holster). As I didn't spend much time with the first one that I sent back, I'm getting a chance to examine this one closer. I'm impressed with the quality, I like minimal amount of plastic and I'm not disappointed. There's no wasted real estate on this thing.

Between the Nano and the Phantom (economy, limited on guns fitted), I have both of my plastic guns covered. :)

Sam
10-15-11, 21:02
I've had the holster for a month now and been wearing it as much as possible. Today I tried it in the appendix position while we were out at the "gold rush" festival they have in the north GA area this weekend. I wore it in the appendix location for the first four hours. I was wearing a loose "camp" shirt and it helps concealing the gun. If the shirt was not as loose I don't think I could pull it off. For a couple of hours I found it fairly comfortable but as time goes by I found that the muzzle area of the holster was starting to irritate me. Finally got a chance to locate a public restroom area and went into the stall to move the holster to my normal 3:30 o'clock area. I kept it there another 4 - 5 hours. I thought that it was more comfortable and more natural for me to have it there. I even took a 15 minute nap on the lazy boy chair with it on when I first got home.

duece71
10-16-11, 19:46
Thank you for the heads up on these, I need an IWB for my G19.

Sam
10-16-11, 21:41
Thank you for the heads up on these, I need an IWB for my G19.

The Nano or its $20 cousin, the Phantom, will take care of your need.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88420