PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Surplus Magazines

bulbvivid
09-02-11, 15:54
I have a line on some used surplus magazines for a decent price—10 for $65.00—and I'm wondering if it's worth it to pick some up. They are from various manufacturers including Colt, Center, and Okay and have no-tilt followers (green). I haven't seen them and don't know their condition, but given that the bodies are in reasonable shape, do y'all think it's worth it? Have any of you ever purchased and used surplus mags?

Iraqgunz
09-02-11, 16:01
We had another thread like this not long ago. It's not just the bodies, but the feedlips you need to be concerned about. In addition you have no idea what kind of condition the springs are in.

So in the end you have to decide if buying new springs for all of them and the risk of having a couple of them crap out is worth it. Considering that I have seen new quality mags for right at 9.00 each- http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20bt30mf%2010pack.htm

I think I would pass.

I have a line on some used surplus magazines for a decent price—10 for $65.00—and I'm wondering if it's worth it to pick some up. They are from various manufacturers including Colt, Center, and Okay and have no-tilt followers (green). I haven't seen them and don't know their condition, but given that the bodies are in reasonable shape, do y'all think it's worth it? Have any of you ever purchased and used surplus mags?

tbaker
09-02-11, 16:06
nevermind, IG beat me to that punch

bulbvivid
09-02-11, 16:23
We had another thread like this not long ago. It's not just the bodies, but the feedlips you need to be concerned about. In addition you have no idea what kind of condition the springs are in.

So in the end you have to decide if buying new springs for all of them and the risk of having a couple of them crap out is worth it. Considering that I have seen new quality mags for right at 9.00 each- http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20bt30mf%2010pack.htm

I think I would pass.

Thanks for the response. I figured it was covered here somewhere but my search-fu was weak.

These were local to me so I thought it might be worth it. Given the concerns though, I'm gonna drive on.

Cerberus
09-02-11, 16:34
If they are local and you can inspect them then it could be worth it, if they are all in working order. Like mentioned above check for cracks, the feed lips and spot welds. To be completely honest most of the surplus mags I've seen have been in decent working order. While not the be all, end all of magazines they are still fairly resilient.

handyandy
09-02-11, 21:50
It doesn't sound like a terrible deal. It would be much better at $40 for 10. I figure it's worth 4 bucks a pop for good bodies. I'm sitting on a metric buttload of new SS springs and magpul gen2 and 3 followers. Unfortunately, many people haven't gotten the word that the AWB ended a while back and still think any 30 round must be worth anywhere for $10-25. Get 'em at $40-45 and you'll be doing good if they are sound. You may even score a couple of pre-bans for those trapped in worse states than the PRI.

Spiffums
09-03-11, 17:34

I got Brownell AR Mags at the last gun show for $70 for 10. I wouldn't buy surplus for go to mags when you can get new for $5ish more.

wahoo95
09-03-11, 17:50
I like my GI mags to have Magpul followers. DSGArms has a nice deal going on now for a 10 pack of D&Hmags Black teflon coated mags with Magpul followers for $85.

bulbvivid
09-03-11, 18:14
I offered the guy $5.00 a piece but he said he needed $6.00.

I figured I could get a few and if they worked well I could use them for 3-gun and range beaters.

At that price, though, I'd rather just go ahead and buy new.

juliomorris
09-03-11, 18:18
Check out wideners reloading... they have both C product and D&H at good prices.

ucrt
09-03-11, 18:57

C-Products has a good reputation...for being junk. They've gone out of business for a reason.

The last bunch of used mags I bought was 40 for $100. IIRC, 3 or 4 of them were junk so I had about $3 each in them.

Lately, I have seen new OKay mags at gun shows go for $10 each and if you buy quantity, I've got them for about $6.

Stick with Center, OKay, NHMTG, Colt, and D&H mags. Learn who makes the mags by the Cage Numbers stamped on the bodies and not by the floorplate markings. Floorplates are easily changed.

But maybe it's just me...

juliomorris
09-03-11, 20:33
The last batch I bought were D&H's from wideners for 100 for $850. I have a dozen Cproducts and they work fine but they are older ones I hadn't heard they had gone down hill and your right its easy to change the bottom.

Campbell
09-04-11, 08:00
Surplus usgi mags can still be found for 5 bucks and under... you may have to buy volume to get it. If you just need a few, $10 new mags are worth the money IMO.

EzGoingKev
09-04-11, 13:37
C-Products has a good reputation...for being junk. They've gone out of business for a reason.

I have some newer SS ones that use their follower that is Magpul rip off IMO. I only use these at the range. The only issues I have had is the slide fails to lock back on the last round every once in a while.

I have a few of the older aluminum ones that had the real Magpul follower and never had any issues at all.

I think they screwed up on the dimensions of their follower as the rear shelf that hits the slide lock is a CH lower than the Magpul follower.

GermanSynergy
09-04-11, 15:21
I see no benefit to buying magazines where you're questioning their functionality right off the bat.

Magazines that are problematic or questionable get tossed in the trash or used as training aids.

Newly manufactured, quality magazines can be had for bargain prices if you shop around and scour the EE:D

variablebinary
09-04-11, 15:46
With new mags going for $8-$12, I don't see the point.

CAVDOC
09-04-11, 15:51
the only reason to buy older gi surplus mags would be if you live in a ban state like I do and have no choice if you want to have legal mags than buying mags made prior to 9-14-94. Otherwise considering USGI mags new are under 15 bucks a few dollars saving on the most critical item to the function of your rifle, I'd pass on the deal.
While gun guys know to take good care of magazines, a lot of G.I.'s abuse the crap out of them. I frequently saw in service where after qual or field training hours were spent getting the rifle spotless for turn in, but the mags- with grit in them and mud on them we just tossed in a milk crate in the corner of the arms room, completely ignored.

RogerinTPA
09-04-11, 18:06
With new mags going for $8-$12, I don't see the point.

Agreed.

To the OP: there is absolutely NO point in buying surplus mags that are questionable at best. They were "gotten rid of" for a reason. I have a bunch of D&H mags from Bravo Company, which are GTG. DSGArms currently has the grey and black mags with Magpul followers for $9.25 ea.

The_War_Wagon
09-04-11, 18:13
You find OIF/OEF bring-backs like this at most any local gunshow. If I can inspect them personally, I might pay $5 - $6 for 'em; pop in a Magpul follower, and make a range mag out of 'em.

AR mags aren't like AK or HK91 mags, which, for aluminum for the latter even, still seem pretty damn indestructible; I would never buy a bring-back sight unseen.