PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to all here- I bought my first AR

77thNYSV
09-02-11, 16:09
Hello everyone

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching through this forum the past couple of weeks while I was trying to figure out what AR to buy. I went from first wanting a Sig 516 or a Ruger SR 556 to either a Bushmaster or a RRA. Then, on reading through this website and doing all the searching I could, I ended up ditching either the Bushman or RRA for either a Colt or a Daniel Defense. I ended up buying a DDM4V2 the other day for $1200. I don't know if that was the best price all around but it was the best price within driving distance of my home. I ended up going to a gun store 40 min. away but it was well worth it.

I just wanted to make this thread to thank everyone who has had a hand in building and contributing to this site. With its vast knowledge, resources and many opinions I was able to discern between the top quality AR's and those with a lesser reputation. My biggest fear was buyer's remorse but I don't think I'll have that any time soon. I intend on using this my new DDM4V2 for home defense, for marksmanship practice and for fun. It came with a Pmag so I bought another Pmag and 60 rounds. I plan on following the advice that I've seen in a lot of threads- I plan on shooting the shit out of it!

Thanks for such a great site, and knowing that I have a long ways to go in learning about the AR system, I plan on continuing researching and learning.

The second photo was just for fun and because I think my M1 Garand is awesome!

BCmJUnKie
09-02-11, 16:13
Congrats! Very nice

Iraqgunz
09-02-11, 16:13
It's nice to see that you were able to get some good advice and out it to use. Now go shoot it and tell us how it performs for you.

SGB
09-02-11, 17:47
Nice choice

zacii
09-02-11, 18:43
Nice picture :D

That's a bit of old, and new school ;)

duece71
09-02-11, 19:12
Excellent choice! Welcome to the AR world of Daniel Defense. Now....Mags and Ammo. GO shoot it!

camus
09-02-11, 21:14
Hello everyone

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching through this forum the past couple of weeks while I was trying to figure out what AR to buy. I went from first wanting a Sig 516 or a Ruger SR 556 to either a Bushmaster or a RRA. Then, on reading through this website and doing all the searching I could, I ended up ditching either the Bushman or RRA for either a Colt or a Daniel Defense.

First off, nice weapon.

Secondly, I went through a similiar process. I need a rifle, 5.56 semi auto, checked out Mini-14, no go, I need an AR, every concern I had brought back to this board on brand, model etc.

Anyways, cheers to the new firearm! Learn it, shoot it well.

Jake Bauer
09-02-11, 21:24
Great choice. sweet AR.. SWEETER Garand! That is a heck of a picture.

77thNYSV
09-02-11, 23:59
Thanks, all. I'm going to go zero it this weekend and put as much ammo through it as I can afford. I'll update on how it shoots for me. :)

Great choice. sweet AR.. SWEETER Garand! That is a heck of a picture.

The Garand is pretty sweet. I got it off of gunbroker. It's a Springfield with the serial number putting it in late 1943. I've taken it apart and done as much research as I could online using the serial numbers on all of the parts and so far, its all Springfield parts that date to 1943. The barrel was never touched for the Korean War so it wasn't redone or re-parkerized and it even has the two cartouches still on the left side and the "P" in a circle in rear of the trigger guard. The cartouches are crisp enough that it makes me think that someone restored those recently but I've seen antique civil war muskets that still have very crisp and distinct cartouches. However, the ordnance stamp is messed up in a way that makes me think those cartouches aren't restorations. I would think that someone doing a restoration wouldn't mess it up. Either way, it shoots very well!

DeltaSierra
09-03-11, 08:29
Congratulations on your excellent purchase!

I am glad to see that some people are learning and benefiting from the excellent information available on the site!

Devildawg77
09-03-11, 10:06
I'm jealous. I wish I had known this site existed when I bought my Doublestar :(. Would have spent the extra $$ for something with better QC and reputation. Now looking to upgrade. Congrats on yours though.

Redberens
09-03-11, 19:53
Congrats. Not only for getting a good gun, but for knowing it's more important to read alot, and post a little. I can thank this forum for my patrol rifle, a Colt 6720. I know I wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't found this place. Be safe