PDA

View Full Version : Any VZ-58 love, here?

RepeatDefender
09-02-11, 23:04
I got this is a trade from the builder a few years ago. Been one of my favorite rifles since then. It's so good, in my opinion, that I don't really even need an AK style rifle.

I've run it hard in a class or two, plus many rounds on the range. So far, it's been a pleasure.

I'm not sold on the single point sling and would like to replace it with some variation of VCAS two point.

Anyway, here she is in all her non-AK glory:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/TheyHateMe/Guns/VZ-58-1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/TheyHateMe/Guns/VZ-58-2.jpg

Vitor
09-03-11, 13:55
I love this gun, it was truly ahead of it's time. Much lighter than the AK, with improved accuracy and much easier to disassemble without sacrificing reliability. Hard to believe that a gun with so much qualities was designed in 1958.

At the time, the M16 was about to born and not with considerable issues that took some time to fix.

GermanSynergy
09-03-11, 14:00
I love mine, FWIW. :dance3:

hatchtrikk
09-03-11, 14:25
I was under the impression that this was an AK style rifle... What makes them more accurate than an AK? What is the difference in disassembly? How much does it weigh?

Not trying to start anything, just genuinely interested.

d90king
09-03-11, 14:29
Great rifles. Is that a padlock on your rifle near the stock?:eek:

RepeatDefender
09-06-11, 08:43
Great rifles. Is that a padlock on your rifle near the stock?:eek:

LOL no, it's the cover for the mash hook. It certainly looks like a padlock now that you mention it, though.

misanthropist
09-06-11, 10:22
Yeah, I run a VZ quite a bit. I like it a lot. The only thing it really shares with the AK, as they say, is the cartridge.

A lot of interesting thought went into the VZ. I like the slick left side for slinging the rifle, for instance...not necessarily the most critical thing on the planet but it's that kind of detail that I find appealing.

I run a Neit Arms tac bolt release and as a result I only use the charging handle to deal with malfunctions, which are rare...the components are massive and the extraction can be conservatively described as "not ****ing around". When the bolt is back, the entire top half of the rifle is opened up so stovepiping is pretty well out of the question, although I do know a guy who, while shooting indoors, had brass bounce off the ceiling and back into the ejection "port" (not really a port of course, but I guess it's one obscure downside to a massive ejection "zone". Pretty rare though, I would think.

They do get hot when run fast...the NEA handguards help with this but if I am feeling like burning big ammo, I want gloves. The barrel is pretty thin and heats up pretty fast, but the accuracy is decent regardless. I am not sure if this is because of the fairly rigid milled receiver, or what. But they shoot pretty well.

The factory hand grip is designed for unusually small-handed chinese midgets. I have a FAB one on mine that works fine.

They're popular up here in Canada where they fulfill basically the same role that the AK does in the US: it's cheaper than a good AR, uses cheap ammo ($200/crate up here), runs well, and very common.

There are a few companies building go-fast parts for them, Neit Arms and NorthEastern Arms being my two go-to outfits. Well, I believe NEA has actually absorbed Neit now.

My regular shooter has the NEA handguards, Neit tac bolt release, a slightly extended mag release, a Rauch Tactical AR stock adaptor (which is not bad, but I am waiting on the NEA folder) and a VLTOR buffer tube and CTR stock. I also had the rifle tenifer'd when Rauch was offering that service. I keep a BFG sling on it but it took a fair bit of dicking around when I started using it to figure out how to mount it to get the best use out of it, the BFG not being designed for a VZ, of course.

TOrrock
09-06-11, 10:36
I was under the impression that this was an AK style rifle... What makes them more accurate than an AK? What is the difference in disassembly? How much does it weigh?

Not trying to start anything, just genuinely interested.

The only thing a vz-58 and an AK-47 or AKM has in common is the cartridge.

The vz-58 uses a tilting block locking system similar in concept to the P-38/Beretta M9.

They are very lightweight.

Take a look at the top of the Other Assault Rifles Forum and you'll see some knowledge base threads that are stuck at the top.

RepeatDefender
09-06-11, 11:28
Misanthropist: can we see a pic of how your BFG sling is attached, please?

I'm very interested to see how you've got it attached.

bondmid003
09-06-11, 15:53

The vz-58 uses a tilting block locking system similar in concept to the P-38/Beretta M9.

Take a look at the top of the Other Assault Rifles Forum and you'll see some knowledge base threads that are stuck at the top.

I was under this mistaken impression as well, thanks for clearing that up :D

misanthropist
09-06-11, 18:31
Misanthropist: can we see a pic of how your BFG sling is attached, please?

I'm very interested to see how you've got it attached.

I don't have a good pic handy and unfortunately I'm in the middle of moving so my picture-taking abilities are seriously limited at the moment.

This is the best I can currently do for you: pictures in which the sling is relatively visible and hopefully you can see what I've done.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/GUNS/Hackathorn/DSC_0986a.jpg

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/misant666/GUNS/Hackathorn/DSC_0948a.jpg

One end of the sling is routed through the upright section of the CTR buttstock; the other is through the ring by the gas block. I have been meaning to get one of the NEA 4" rails with sling mount, but haven't gotten around to it. That would be a better solution than what I'm doing. Moving the sling back six inches would be ideal IMO.

hatchtrikk
09-06-11, 21:13

DAMNIT!!! Another rifle just made the list. I never bothered to check the sticky BECAUSE I thought it was just another variant. Now I'm in research mode:D

Edit: Only 3 posts into this forum and I am in severe lust with this rifle. FML. Damn youse!!!

eternal24k
09-07-11, 07:12
I have 3, and I hope to make one of them a carbine class ready rifle (optic, light, ambi safety, extended mag release, sling).

One thing i hate is i need to send them off for perm muzzle devices, but the platform themselves is fantastic, suffers from the same AK conundrum for rearward sights and optics though.

RepeatDefender
09-07-11, 08:17
DAMNIT!!! Another rifle just made the list. I never bothered to check the sticky BECAUSE I thought it was just another variant. Now I'm in research mode:D

Edit: Only 3 posts into this forum and I am in severe lust with this rifle. FML. Damn youse!!!

:D This is a rifle that is lustworthy! I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get a quality VZ-58.

bm176
09-07-11, 16:48
gotta love them vzs:cool:
top vz2008/bottom cz-usa vz58
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/004-4.jpg
then my vz with some tactical stuff
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/034.jpg

A-Bear680
09-15-11, 10:06

Resistance is futile. This is almost all that you need to know.
www.czechpoint-usa.com

Think of the D-Tech to CzechPoint pipeline as CMP for Czech civilianized military guns.