PDA

View Full Version : Will cutting a Nitride barrel ruin the coating?

Magic_Salad0892
09-03-11, 06:13
Just wondering. The talk about Superior Barrels made me wonder.

E-man930
09-03-11, 07:05
You would be better off just talking to te folks at Superior Barrels and have them turn down a barrel for you before they send it off for their nitro-carburization process... Cutting one that already has been hardened will suck.

Magic_Salad0892
09-03-11, 07:09
To be honest. I'm an idiot, and should have done some reading around before I posted that thread.

I'm not really in the market for a new barrel (unless I buy one for a build for the ladyfriend I mentioned in another thread) right now.

I just wanted an answer if anybody had one, or maybe compile more information on the nitride process. Couldn't be a bad thing.

You're right about that though. Wonder if they'd do it for length, or gas port size.

E-man930
09-03-11, 07:14
They get their barrels as blanks so yes you can tell them what length, gas port size, contour, etc...

MistWolf
09-03-11, 14:22
About a year ago or so, I emailed Superior about getting a special order barrel. They responded-

"...In an effort to devote ourselves to these fundamental business goals we no longer make custom barrels...

Sincerely,
Superior Barrels"

E-man930
09-03-11, 17:12
That sucks.
I wonder if a pre-order or group buy would change their minds...

norinco982lover
09-03-11, 17:18
I don't think it will hurt it. What could it possibly do?

Magic_Salad0892
09-04-11, 05:42
I don't think it will hurt it. What could it possibly do?

Expose the uncoated metal underneath, and make the coating useless?...

Have to say though. I had Glock 34 barrels threaded, and they were fine.

But whatever. If I were building my rifles from scratch, I'd just get a CMV 20'' rifle gas barrel from Mike Rock, have ADCO cut it, crown it, port it to my spec, and send it off to get Salt Bath Nitride Coated. Maybe get E3 bolts, and try to score some barrel extensions from KAC, and have 'em flipped.

But whatever. My 11.1'' chrome lined, HPT/MPI, target crowned, CHF barrel will do me nicely. :D

mtdawg169
09-04-11, 12:51

But whatever. If I were building my rifles from scratch, I'd just get a CMV 20'' rifle gas barrel from Mike Rock, have ADCO cut it, crown it, port it to my spec, and send it off to get Salt Bath Nitride Coated. Maybe get E3 bolts, and try to score some barrel extensions from KAC, and have 'em flipped.

But whatever. My 11.1'' chrome lined, HPT/MPI, target crowned, CHF barrel will do me nicely. :D

Does KAC use HPT?

Magic_Salad0892
09-06-11, 04:33
Does KAC use HPT?

On their barrels. I'm positive. But then again. I might be wrong.

I don't have a URX wrench, so it's not like I can pull the rail and look for proof marks.

Robb Jensen
09-06-11, 06:23
Does KAC use HPT?

Yes and the SR15E3 barrels are made from Colt Canada hammer forged blanks.

Mr blasty
09-06-11, 06:44

IMHO this would be the way to go. That said SBN isn't a coating but rather a heat treat process that adds a bunch of nitrates and carbon to the surface of the steel. When you heat metals to certain temps or above, the surrounding atmosphere greatly influences the chemical makeup of it. SBN only changes a little bit of the surface so if you cut through it the metal underneath will still be in it's original unhardened state. There's some good info here:https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83495 if you haven't read it already.

Magic_Salad0892
09-06-11, 11:06
IMHO this would be the way to go. That said SBN isn't a coating but rather a heat treat process that adds a bunch of nitrates and carbon to the surface of the steel. When you heat metals to certain temps or above, the surrounding atmosphere greatly influences the chemical makeup of it. SBN only changes a little bit of the surface so if you cut through it the metal underneath will still be in it's original unhardened state. There's some good info here:https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83495 if you haven't read it already.

I understand that. And yes I've tried to get through that thread, but it's hard to weed out all the retarded arguments, and find the real information. Especially because it's too late for me to even use it. :|

Thanks for the link anyway. :)