PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense .625 gas block pinned incorrectly.

09-03-11, 07:12
I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with a pinned LP gas block from daniel defense. I purchased a DD mid 14.5 LW barrel w/ pinned LP gas block from Rainier Arms. The barrel was assembled and tested with a approximately 130 rounds. It seemed to work correctly. At this point a Battle Comp 1.5 was pinned and the rifle was taken to the range. During the first 30 to 40 rounds, the rifle functioned properly, then I had my first malfunction. The bolt did not lock to the rear on and empty mag. I checked the mag and replaced it for a different one, again with the same result. Ran about 15 different mags some would lock to the rear but most did not. At this point I replaced the Colt BCG with a different Colt BCG. No improvement, same malfunction. I then changed the Colt lower with another Colt lower. Again same malfunction. I then changed buffers numerous times to the following, Standard, H, H2 and H3, also changed out the buffer springs. no improvement. Changed ammo at this point, tried 3 different loads no improvement. Rifle is short stroking due to gas impingement. I then took the rifle to or department's M4 armor who broke the upper down. He immediately noticed the pinned gas block was not seated completely to the rear of the gas port mounting area. We removed the pin from the gas block and the gas tube, we then rotated the the gas block while trying to keep the spacing the same as when pinned. Through the witness hole on the base of the gas block we noticed the gas port was slightly blocked by the gas block. I pushed the gas block completely to the rear of the mounting area and the gas port was totally uninhibited. I believe this partial blockage of the gas port, by the improperly pinned gas block is the issue but because the battle comp is pinned and brand new i cannot replace the gas block. Has anyone had this happen to them, if so what was the outcome with regards to Daniel Defense response? Side note, has anyone ever Mig welded a gas block to a barrel?

wahoo95
09-03-11, 07:26
What has DD's response to you been so far??

brzusa.1911
09-03-11, 08:21
My experience with DD CS has been nothing shorter than fantastic. I am sure they will take care of it for you.

MarkG
09-03-11, 08:33
I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with a pinned LP gas block from daniel defense. I purchased a DD mid 14.5 LW barrel w/ pinned LP gas block from Rainier Arms. The barrel was assembled and tested with a approximately 130 rounds. It seemed to work correctly. At this point a Battle Comp 1.5 was pinned and the rifle was taken to the range. During the first 30 to 40 rounds, the rifle functioned properly, then I had my first malfunction. The bolt did not lock to the rear on and empty mag. I checked the mag and replaced it for a different one, again with the same result. Ran about 15 different mags some would lock to the rear but most did not. At this point I replaced the Colt BCG with a different Colt BCG. No improvement, same malfunction. I then changed the Colt lower with another Colt lower. Again same malfunction. I then changed buffers numerous times to the following, Standard, H, H2 and H3, also changed out the buffer springs. no improvement. Changed ammo at this point, tried 3 different loads no improvement. Rifle is short stroking due to gas impingement. I then took the rifle to or department's M4 armor who broke the upper down. He immediately noticed the pinned gas block was not seated completely to the rear of the gas port mounting area. We removed the pin from the gas block and the gas tube, we then rotated the the gas block while trying to keep the spacing the same as when pinned. Through the witness hole on the base of the gas block we noticed the gas port was slightly blocked by the gas block. I pushed the gas block completely to the rear of the mounting area and the gas port was totally uninhibited. I believe this partial blockage of the gas port, by the improperly pinned gas block is the issue but because the battle comp is pinned and brand new i cannot replace the gas block. Has anyone had this happen to them, if so what was the outcome with regards to Daniel Defense response? Side note, has anyone ever Mig welded a gas block to a barrel?

There is usually a gap to allow for the thickness of the handguard cap.

Looks like everything was fine until you installed the muzzle break. I would recommend taking taking off the BattleComp and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

Leonidas24
09-03-11, 08:52
There is usually a gap to allow for the thickness of the handguard cap.

Looks like everything was fine until you installed the muzzle break. I would recommend taking taking off the BattleComp and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

Thus destroying his $150 brake. From what the OP said it's pinned on which is why he can't remove it. Also there would be no issue with a handguard cap as this is a LPGB designed to fit under a free float rail.

If the gas block was pinned in that position then I think calling DD or Rainier and talking to them about your issue might get you a little further. I believe it's actually part of forum rules to contact manufacturer or vendor before posting about your problem.

rushca01
09-03-11, 09:11
The gap is supposed to be there regardless if it's a low profile gas block or fsb, the spec is still the same.

At this point you need to either send it back to DD or Rainer arms. Did Rainer pin it or is it factory pinned? Either way both have an excellent reputation and will make it right. I doubt it is the battle comp, if anything it would create a minitia of back pressure and help operation similiar to a supressor.

Iraqgunz
09-03-11, 10:29
Contact Rainier Arms or Daniel Defense first.