PDA

View Full Version : aimpoint pro or eotech xps2-0

sinlessorrow
09-03-11, 12:39
hey guys im trying to decide if i want to get an aimpoint pro or eotech xps2-0.

im running a casv-el so i can get a cowitness with the aimpoint, where as the eotech will not, but the eotech has a nicer reticle IMO and is $50 cheaper than the aimpoint.

what do yall think?

Hmac
09-03-11, 13:02

im running a casv-el so i can get a cowitness with the aimpoint, where as the eotech will not, but the eotech has a nicer reticle IMO and is $50 cheaper than the aimpoint.

what do yall think?

It's going to come down to reticle preference, and whether or not you perceive some benefit to the battery life. I have both. I definitely prefer the Eotech reticle, but when I recently decided to replace an Eotech 517, I replaced it with an Aimpoint PRO instead of another EXPS3. I still prefer the Eotech reticle, but I have no complaints about the PRO. It's great optic for the money and I would opt for that one over an XPS2

brzusa.1911
09-03-11, 13:05
IMO aimpoint beats eotechs hands down on everything - it feels more solid, the reticle is much better, the lenses are better, the battery life is longer (much longer), ... I don't mind paying more for aimpoints at all, I feel they are just superior systems. Even if I got an eotech for free or for a great deal I would sell it and get an aimpoint, somethings for me there is no compromising. Aimpoints and Trijicon ACOGs for me.

Alaskapopo
09-03-11, 21:52

what do yall think?

I ran an Eotech longer than anything else but I stopped using it about 3 years ago. I hate an optic you have to turn on. I did have some zero shift in one of the Eotechs I owned and had to send it in. I have had batteries fail at in opportune times. Speaking of that at a LEO three gun match I saw a shooter come up to the line and check his Eotech and the batteries were dead. Good thing he was not on patrol. If you want a red dot get an Aimpoint.
Pat

Hmac
09-04-11, 06:40
I ran an Eotech longer than anything else but I stopped using it about 3 years ago. I hate an optic you have to turn on. I did have some zero shift in one of the Eotechs I owned and had to send it in. I have had batteries fail at in opportune times. Speaking of that at a LEO three gun match I saw a shooter come up to the line and check his Eotech and the batteries were dead. Good thing he was not on patrol. If you want a red dot get an Aimpoint.
Pat

Eotechs blink at turn-on for a long time before they actually are dead. There's no reason anyone has to be surprised by dead batteries, assuming one checks before stepping up to the line, or putting the rifle in the rack in the car.

Singlestack Wonder
09-04-11, 09:52
Get the Aimpoint Pro. If you do a search, you will not find endless threads of the Aimpoints failing as one does when they search for Eotech failure threads.

serbonze
09-04-11, 10:25
I have used both, and my eyes prefer the Eotech reticle over the Aimpoint. I would suggest going to your local store and looking through both first before making a decision. If you like the Aimpoint better, the $50 difference can easily be made up by purchasing a lightly used one through the Equipment Exchange.

Each will have their pros and cons for you, based on your intended use. If it will go on a range gun that will only see a few hundred rounds a year then the reported ruggedness of the Aimpoint over the Eotech should probably not factor into your decision.

If this is going on a duty rifle or a home defense gun and you plan on leaving the sight on at all times, then the Aimpoint is probably better for you due to the extended battery life.

nimdabew
09-04-11, 11:31
I prefer EOTechs, specifically the XPS series. I recently shot two tactical rifle matches, with vastly different results. With the EOTech reticle, I shot faster, better, and missed fewer times. It is all a personal thing, but I am not going to dismiss the durability of the XPS series. I will not comment on the others.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83558

Singlestack Wonder
09-04-11, 12:53
For Aimpoint durability, take a look at this link (the previous one mentioned for the Eotech is an attempt to duplicate the DDM4 test with far less demanding tests yet producing several problems with the Eotech).

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

fullmetalredhead
09-04-11, 13:16
Is it me or is there a brand new Aimpoint vs. Eotech thread posted about every three days on M4C?

krgwag
09-04-11, 13:30
I've shot both but just find the eotech faster to get a sight picture on.

Dave_M
09-04-11, 16:09
What one needs to keep in mind is that when credible people are on both sides of an issue, it is quite possible that neither side is entirely correct or incorrect.

Failure2Stop
09-04-11, 16:15
What one needs to keep in mind is that when credible people are on both sides of an issue, it is quite possible that neither side is entirely correct or incorrect.

Or that they have different applications, requirements, and priorities.

Dave_M
09-04-11, 16:20
Or that they have different applications, requirements, and priorities.

Agree 100%

krgwag
09-04-11, 16:21
Very true.

aiko
09-04-11, 19:38
There is no right or wrong answer to this one IMO-both are high quality and your decision may come down to which reticle you prefer. I have tried both and and picked up 2 XPS2-0 for my rifles. Would be happy w/Aimpoints though.

nimdabew
09-04-11, 22:27
For Aimpoint durability, take a look at this link (the previous one mentioned for the Eotech is an attempt to duplicate the DDM4 test with far less demanding tests yet producing several problems with the Eotech).

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

To each his own. I am not trying to defend EOTechs durability at all, I am just surprised that it didn't fall apart like a house of cards that I know some people were expecting. 99% of the EOTechs in the world won't see more than a few hours of day light most of the time so it is just personal preference since *I* know that it can be run over by a truck and still shoot. I want to do it on pavement now, though I think it will still be fine.

Alaskapopo
09-05-11, 02:12
Eotechs blink at turn-on for a long time before they actually are dead. There's no reason anyone has to be surprised by dead batteries, assuming one checks before stepping up to the line, or putting the rifle in the rack in the car.

Yet in real life it happens all the time. Better to have an optic where this is not a concern except every 5 years.
Pat

Doc Blase
09-05-11, 02:12
Just have to look through each type and if possible shoot through them for awhile to find out which one works best for your eyes and the way your unique brain processes the information.

I was lucky enough to have co-workers who'd loaned me their rifles for awhile and that's what it came down to. I liked the Eo's esthetics, and the idea of their open wide field--- the ACOG was a great piece of equipment but not appropriate for my close-in environment.

Finally it turned out I shot better with the Aimpoint, particularly with a Tenebraex ARD because it dims the sight picture a little. Who knew? Really when I started trying out the various options I expected to wind up with an Eotech.

This is probably one of the most subjective equipment questions that there is, maybe that's why the topic is as popular as it seems to be.

Hmac
09-05-11, 05:44
Yet in real life it happens all the time. Better to have an optic where this is not a concern except every 5 years.
Pat

The point isn't that Eotechs have a shorter battery life, it's whether that shorter battery life is a mere occasional inconvenience or actually a problem. For me, in my use on my rifle, battery life of my optic doesn't matter in the slightest. I carry extra batteries.

I bought a T-1 because it was small and light. I don't like it much. I bought an Aimpoint PRO because because it was cheap. So far, I like the PRO a lot, but I prefer the EXPS series Eotechs.

motoduck
09-05-11, 06:00

I agree with this statement but I have had at least 4 Eotech different sights go down on me at inopurtune times. Each time sight on, adjusted GTG, fire one shot sight blinks monetarily off or stays off. I have attributed this to know Eoteh problems. I have not had that problem with the EXPS.

Hmac
09-05-11, 07:44
I agree with this statement but I have had at least 4 Eotech different sights go down on me at inopurtune times. Each time sight on, adjusted GTG, fire one shot sight blinks monetarily off or stays off. I have attributed this to know Eoteh problems. I have not had that problem with the EXPS.

Sounds like the often-reported battery contact issue on their models with inline battery orientation. I acknowledge that it exists and even know someone to whom that's happened. If internet discussions on the issue are representative, it's a good reason to go with the XPS/EXPS models. It's not happened to me on the two inline models that I have, but I'm watching for it. I'm emotionally prepared to move to Aimpoint if and when my experience matches that of The Internet, but so far they've been reliable for me and match my needs and wants as well or better than Aimpoint. If I had different needs and wants, I might feel differently. I intend to use the Aimpoint PRO in an upcoming TriCon course to see if I can warm up to the single-dot 2 MOA reticle in high round-count use.

sinlessorrow
09-05-11, 22:08
well between the responses i received here and arfcom, i ended up choose the aimpoint PRO.

my local dealer let me try both and i preferred the eotech reticle but i dont see it making much diff when actually being used, a dots a dot.

the fact that there are so many reported problems with eotechs(ive even seen some with the EXPS/XPS) made me go the other way

Dave_M
09-05-11, 23:11
the fact that there are so many reported problems with eotechs(ive even seen some with the EXPS/XPS) made me go the other way

See, comments like that make we want to call up one of my friends who's a Drill Sergeant in MO and the boatload of broken M68's he's encountered. Of course, that's not really fair because it's not like they get the very pinnacle of new stuff there...

I have friends that won't run EO's because they've broken them. I also have friends who won't run Aimpoint's because they've broken them. Overcoming personal experience is a real bitch.

To me, it never comes down to, 'Aimpoint versus EOtech' but to 'Aimpoint and EOtech'. I have several of both and appreciate them for what they are. The real problem are the fanboys who make outrageous statements like, 'If you choose an EOtech you're a RETARD!!!' Thankfully, while the hive mind of this forum is certainly biased towards Aimpoints, it's generally not full of zealots like others. One of the reasons why I particularly like M4C is the intellectual honesty of many of the posting members.

turdbocharged
09-06-11, 15:25
I had a 512 I liked it alot, had zero issues with it, however it was just so heavy so I sold it to someone who was just dying to get one.

Jim D
09-06-11, 16:07
I prefer the EoTech reticle.....but:
The PRO is less money, less weight, more reliable, and has much better battery life.

The PRO changed the game, in my opinion.

Hmac
09-06-11, 17:25
The PRO is less money, less weight, more reliable, and has much better battery life.

For accuracy's sake, I'd offer the small single observation that the PRO and XPS/EXPS series weigh essentially the same (7.8 oz vs 8 oz published weights). I will say, however, that I bought the Aimpoint PRO precisely because it is less money. And I'd also concede that I also have to suffer the weight of a spare CR123 in the buttstock.

Dave_M
09-06-11, 19:05

To me, the PRO isn't really less money as the first thing I'd have to do is replace that mount with it's big-assed knob.

alphableak83
09-06-11, 19:32
See, comments like that make we want to call up one of my friends who's a Drill Sergeant in MO and the boatload of broken M68's he's encountered.

I agree with you. Before I came to this site, I would have never ever taken an aimpoint seriously due to my experiences with them in the army. In the units I have been in its quite the opposite of here. Everybody hates the 68's and loves the eotechs. My personal experience is that I have had way more aimpoints take a shit on me then eotechs. But this is coming from the army supply system where shit gets abused by Joe. So maybe the army is getting the shit end of the stick with aimpoint or something but I wont buy aimpoint after seeing so many just plain suck.

Jim D
09-06-11, 20:08
For accuracy's sake, I'd offer the small single observation that the PRO and XPS/EXPS series weigh essentially the same (7.8 oz vs 8 oz published weights). I will say, however, that I bought the Aimpoint PRO precisely because it is less money. And I'd also concede that I also have to suffer the weight of a spare CR123 in the buttstock.
When I ran the weight of an XPS on a riser, it came out to be more than the PRO.

My mistake if the EXPS is closer to the PRO weight.

Thanks for catching that.

Jim D
09-06-11, 20:15
To me, the PRO isn't really less money as the first thing I'd have to do is replace that mount with it's big-assed knob.

PRO w/ riser: $505
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=534

XPS w/ riser: $581
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=379

EXPS: $519 (best i can find)
http://www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-exps2-red-dot-holo-sight-with-side-buttons-qd-throw-lever.html

Am I missing out on a deal somewhere that changes the math?

Cheers.

Hmac
09-06-11, 21:10
Am I missing out on a deal somewhere that changes the math?

Cheers.

OPMOD is an EXPS3 without night vision. It's $495.

Jim D
09-06-11, 21:11
OPMOD is an EXPS3 without night vision. It's $495.

I thought the EXPS-2 was the no NV model...?

Hmac
09-06-11, 21:39
I thought the EXPS-2 was the no NV model...?

It's confusing. After Optics Planet with Eotech brought out the OPMOD on the EXPS3 platform they labeled it the EXPS2. It's on the EXPS3 chassis, right down to the NV button, but NV circuitry isn't installed.Then, Eotech brought out their own EXPS2. That one does have the lever QD and riser, but has NV as part of the up/down buttons (rather than a separate button). The Eotech EXPS2 is a "law enforcement model". It's not ruggedized and is only waterproof to 10 feet. The OPMOD and Eotech EXPS3 are the chassis that is the military's SU231A and reportedly used by Navy SEALs. It's the successor to the SU231/PEQ, which was based on a the Eotech 553.

Or so the legend goes....

Dave_M
09-06-11, 22:38
PRO w/ riser: $505
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=534

I didn't know LaRue was doing package deals with the PRO. Good to know. However, the $505 price isn't with a riser, it's only with LT152 mount. For a lower 1/3 it's either $540 (for the LT150) or $550 (for the cantilever LT129).

Of course, some cost could be recouped by selling the big-assed knob mount to someone.

JR TACTICAL
09-06-11, 22:56
I was watching this thread because I was on the fence weather to get another PRO or try out the XPS 2-0.

I pulled the trigger today on another PRO because after reading this thread I realized that the Aimpoint is a better choice for my applications. Thanks for the thread, is saved me buying something that I was not sure of.

sinlessorrow
09-09-11, 12:06
I agree with you. Before I came to this site, I would have never ever taken an aimpoint seriously due to my experiences with them in the army. In the units I have been in its quite the opposite of here. Everybody hates the 68's and loves the eotechs. My personal experience is that I have had way more aimpoints take a shit on me then eotechs. But this is coming from the army supply system where shit gets abused by Joe. So maybe the army is getting the shit end of the stick with aimpoint or something but I wont buy aimpoint after seeing so many just plain suck.

How old are the m68's the eotechs? That plays a huge part

sgtjosh
09-09-11, 14:01
+1 on the Aimpoint.

kest_01
09-09-11, 15:03
My experience in the army has seen many more aimpoints shit out than eotechs also. As for age for the aimpoints its been mostly comp2s but we also have a bunch of comp4s now. Eotechs have been mostly 552s with a handful of 553s now. I know that aimpoint is well known for their relibility and durability but joe will find a way to break anything. It was my personal experience seeing aimpoints go down and eotechs keep running and the fact that I like the eotech reticle better, why I have my eotechs. For me battery life is a non issue I change my batteries monthly regardless, batteries are cheap and plentiful..so who cares. As for having to turn it on before having to use it, if I'm grabbing my rifle because of some bump in the night and don't have time to hit the on button than that guy is close enough to me that even with no reticle if I see him through the glass I will hit him....just my 2 cents

Shoot 1st
01-02-12, 14:56
On a patrol, cqb mission, I prefer an eotech. For mostly everything else I run a t-1