PDA

View Full Version : Propper prep work for painting

Maverick9110e
09-03-11, 15:21
Hey guys, quick question. I've searched around the forums quite a bit on this as well but still have a few questions. I'd like to paint my AR build but i've never attempted it. I have mostly 2 concerns...

1rst- What needs to be taped off enough so that the paint doesn't interfere with anything or cause problems. I would imagine you wouldn't want to get paint on the inside of your lower or the hole where the pins fit in, as it would mess with the sizing. However most of the pictures i've seen of prep work, people don't seem to have these taped off.

2nd- I'm going to be purchasing a PSA upper and the barrel is 416 polished stainless. http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2096.php

Is there any special prep work i would need on that barrel besides some 600 grit wet sandpaper?

Thanks in advance!

jonconsiglio
09-03-11, 16:29
I wouldn't sand anything. Just clean it so there's no grease, plug the barrel and cover optic glass and paint. There's a thread or two on it here if you search.

Maverick9110e
09-03-11, 18:03
Thanks! Yea i did search, came up with a lot of great info, thanks. I think i'll wait till i get it all together to throw the paint on.

JW5219
09-04-11, 08:00
I've painted a couple of rifles, and isopropyl alcohol works well as a degreaser and is cheap. Good luck with it!

nimdabew
09-04-11, 09:31
Besides wiping off the upper and lower of oil and masking parts that I didn't want painted, I did no prep work. It is a rifle, not a modern art master piece. It takes a measure of doing for your first rifle, but they look a lot better after you get done and when they start wearing in and looking better.

samuse
09-04-11, 17:24
I like Krylon on my rifles. Solid back is way too formal for my taste!

I just hose the outside of the gun down with QD electronic parts cleaner (plastic safe Gun-Scrubber) to get any oil off.

I like Krylon Fusion, but Aervoe is probably much better.

I use thin coats, it's better to leave it thin because it'll dry better and you can always addd more later.

Are you going for a camo pattern? I just paint mine with two or three different camo colors and it blends in pretty well with everything.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/ARs/100_0710.jpg?t=1310167357