PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for alternative carry

ruchik
09-03-11, 15:26
So I've finally started building a bug out bag for myself, and got to thinking about holsters for carrying my blaster in. I put my pack on, adjusted all the straps, got it to where it sat on my back comfortably, and then realized that there is basically no way I'll be able to carry a belt holster, either IWB or OWB. Here's the problem: the waist strap goes around my waist, right where the grip of the gun would be with a high ride belt holster. With a lot of faffing about I can get to an OWB gun, but IWB, forget about it. That, and the waist strap pulls the gun into my body, which is really uncomfortable. So I've looked at other means of carrying a gun.
I've narrowed it down to either fanny packs or chest packs. Here are my requirements:

-It needs to be able to hold a full size M&P 9 with a Streamlight TLR-1 attached to it.
-Gun must be held in place, either by a built in holster, a holster I can buy and fix in there, or a wide loop. I do not want the gun to be flopping about. Here's the catch though; it can't be a loop that only goes around the trigger. The light will catch on it during the draw.

So far, I've narrowed it down to the 5.11 Select Pistol Carry Pouch, HawkePaks Micro GunPak, Ka-Bar TDI fanny pack, and a Hill People Gear kit bag. Can anyone offer insight on those? I really dig the HPG kit bag, but I don't want the gun loose in the CCW compartment, and a traditional loop CCW velcro holster doesn't cut it for the aforementioned reasons above.

Just a Jarhead
09-03-11, 15:49
Here is another option also you may want to consider http://www.smartcarry.com/index.html

I realize you said IWB is out but the weapon lays flat across your abdomen, the grip is an inch or two beneath your belt level which I'm presuming would be below the waist band of your pack which may work for you. Go to the photo's page and get a better idea.

I use one of these every day. My normal business attire is a pair of nice trousers and polo or buttoned up shirt tucked inside my trousers. Business casual. I have worn one every day for many years, even in shorts here in Florida it is very discrete. To draw, you use your weak hand thumb to pull out your waist band and slide you strong hand in quick to grab it. Certainly faster than a zippered fanny pack. I carry a Gov. model 1911 and no one can tell.

ruchik
09-03-11, 16:05
I did take a look at that, but I am really uncomfortable with having my gun pointed at me junk. And femoral artery. Paranoid, I know, but I would rather deal with an OWB under a waist strap than that :p

norinco982lover
09-03-11, 17:24
Did you consider a drop leg? I have one that I actually use regularly and really like it.

My friend borrowed it for hiking in Colorado and it worked well for him too.

That's really the most obvious option...but if you are wanting it attached to your bag I really can't think of anything else.

ruchik
09-03-11, 17:31
I have, but the whole point is to have something on me that doesn't advertise I have a weapon. This is for a bug out kit, so I don't want anyone to know that I've got the good stuff.

Kegger
09-03-11, 20:42
My question would be, is the waist strap necessary?

I have a lot of experience in needlessly hauling around a ruck for extended periods, and the first thing I have always done is take off the seatbelt.

Would that possibly be an option for you?

ruchik
09-04-11, 00:49
I would if I could, but it's permanently attached to the pack.

Just a Jarhead
09-04-11, 04:56
I did take a look at that, but I am really uncomfortable with having my gun pointed at me junk. And femoral artery. Paranoid, I know, but I would rather deal with an OWB under a waist strap than that :p

You've gotta be comfortable that's for sure, but from experience, the reality is that it is not an issue because if worn correctly it points between your legs not at your junk or your leg. As I said I've worn it cocked & locked many years. It's the most comfortable concealable way I've found yet.

I'm not trying to sell you on it as I have no interest in the company but there is a 60 day trial if you buy directly from the website if you care to try it.

halo2304
09-04-11, 08:30
Just becuase the strap is attached permanently doesn't mean you have to use it. Also, permanently is a relative term. A pair of scissors or a knife will likely do the job. See how it fits without the waist strap.

Backstop
09-04-11, 12:03
My post from the noted thread:

http://mail.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82057

Methods:

1. When I'm just short-hiking, running, MTBing, etc. I carry my gun in a Mountainsmith lumbar pack, and use the RCS trigger guard thing.

2. If I'm hiking longer but don't need to use the waist strap for my small pack, I carry OWB with a RCS holster.

3. If I need to use the waist strap from the pack:

A. Get a SideArmor holster for your gun. These work best in my opinion because you can rotate the holster, and the belt loops can be made in many sizes.

B. Get some kind of bag that will fit the gun and holster. I found that Dayplanner cases work well.

C. Remove the buckle from the pack's waist strap on the side you want to carry the gun.

D. Orient the case the way you want to carry it on the strap. Cut holes in the case for the strap to go through. You're gonna want to make the holes just a bit wider than the belt loops on the holster.

E. Thread the waist strap through one hole of the case, then through both loops of the holster, then through the other hole of the case.

F. Put the buckle back on, and away you go.

This is very secure, as the gun is supported by the holster and the waist strap; the case just covers everything.

To draw the gun, you unzip the case.

Unfortunately, I don't have pics of my old set-up.

I switched back to Glock a few years ago, and gave my 1911 set-up like that away.

And I haven't built a new one for Glock yet.

I have experimented with a shoulder strap set-up, and found the waist strap to be the best.

Problem is you don't have your gun when you take your pack off. And I can't wear a waist holster under the pack's waist strap, so I just have to put on an OWB holster.

Only other solution I have used is a shoulder holster, but they can get uncomfortable under the pack straps. Bianchi made a great one in days gone by. About 5 years ago I looked at a Galco one, and it was crap.

This http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Home/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/6/Default.aspx looks interesting, and there is some detailed discussion about it in the thread in my quote above.

Other thing you could try is find a lumbar pack, somehow attach a holster inside (you said the gun had to be in a holster) and wear it to the front instead of on your back.

I've done this a few times and the pack pushed the buckle into my back and was a bit uncomfortable.

What I would do - and have done - is decide exactly what you want.

And if no one makes it, assemble the parts, and have it made.

There's a local tent shop in town that has sewn quite a few things for me.

Good luck.

nobody knows
09-04-11, 18:22
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/THERMITE-VERSIPACK-4p19.htm
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Remora-Gearslinger-2p384.htm

Ether of these would fit the pistol perfectly. The thermite would be my choice;as you could affix a raven of other kydex holster inside of it for a secure fit.

Ironman8
09-04-11, 20:46
I am looking for something to fill this role as well, and am really leaning toward te HPG Kit Bag. A couple reasons why:

1) Seems to be a pretty fast/easy draw
2) Anything on the hip or legs will not work (for me)
3) Can also hold survival supplies in other compartments
4) Can be used separate from a pack in case you would ever need to ditch the pack (and would allow you to keep your basic survival supplies on your person)
5) Multi-purpose: can be used for running around the neighborhood while having your CCW...will also use this for light hiking in tandem with a Camelbak...