PDA

View Full Version : Gouge inside upper

buckjay
09-03-11, 19:22
I just received a used LMT MRP Rifle upper (swapped my CQB).

When I received it today I found a gouge opposite the ejection port. I know this isn't normal wear and the guy said its possible he did it when he was trying to get a 6.8 barrel in battery (said he didn't notice it before he sent it).

http://buckjay.com/drop/gouge.jpg

I'm not to concerned about aesthetics, I just want to make sure this won't interfere with any of the guns operation at all. I plan to turn this into a SPR type build and want to be sure all is good.

Am I good to go?

Heavy Metal
09-03-11, 19:29
Is this a Piston upper?

buckjay
09-03-11, 19:36
nah its a rifle length upper, don't think you can use piston setups in the rifle length.

Heavy Metal
09-03-11, 20:14
It almost looks lke the cam pin recess is out of time with the face of the barrel extension.

amd5007
09-03-11, 20:16
I would contact LMT. It looks more than normal wear. I'm sure they would help you out.

SPM14430
09-03-11, 20:20
If the gouge was not disclosed prior to the trade, I would not be happy with that.

buckjay
09-03-11, 20:41
Was not disclosed prior to trade.

Would contacting LMT help? I don't think it would be under warranty.

scoutfsu99
09-03-11, 20:54
IME, LMT will help you regardless. They should at least be able to tell you what's going on and if it's even a problem.

ALCOAR
09-03-11, 20:56
////////

Stickman
09-03-11, 21:08
That is not normal wear, take a look at how uneven the gouge/cut/ grinding is. It almost looks intentional, or like it was done while someone was using tools the wrong way.

Miale
09-03-11, 21:21
define normal? i've seen plenty of uppers like this and many not, but because i've seen enough of them like this and by running a simple bell graph it indicates that this is within the normal wear in this area. i've seen this mostly in direct impingement systems. ymmv

buckjay
09-03-11, 21:44
That is not normal wear, take a look at how uneven the gouge/cut/ grinding is. It almost looks intentional, or like it was done while someone was using tools the wrong way.

The guy made it sound like he thought it was done when he was "trying to get it to get loose". Assuming he put a tool down there to try wiggle it out.

amd5007
09-03-11, 23:26
The guy made it sound like he thought it was done when he was "trying to get it to get loose". Assuming he put a tool down there to try wiggle it out.

Consult LMT either way. it doesn't look intentional or accidental, but rather wear from the cam pin. Email them a pic and I'm sure they'll get back to you regardless of ownership status.

Iraqgunz
09-04-11, 04:40
I am going out on a limb here. Bear with me. It looks to me (SWAG) that the previous owner inserted the BCG into the upper and the firing pin wasn't installed. He then dicked around and the bolt cam pin rotated and got jammed in the upper.

He then dicked about with something until it came out. If that didn't happen then there is something else going on because that gouge is pretty deep and doesn't appear to be from "wear".

Altoids
09-04-11, 09:01
I'm relatively new to ARs. What is the function of that notch?

Here's a picture of mine with what I assume is normal wear:

nimdabew
09-04-11, 09:27

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6190/6111964011_83c6bfb704.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28535607@N00/6111964011/)

It is the recess where the cam pin sits when the gun is in battery.

Buck
09-04-11, 10:21
FYI, This is biased on nothing more than my opinion...

It looks to me like that was caused by a broken bolt freezing the cam in place during firing. Under recoil, the whole thing would of locked up tighter than a tick. When the shooter could not clear the malfunction with "SPORTS" they freaked out and used something like an ammo can and a GI cleaning rod section to hammer it out.

Its likely that they then replaced the broken parts with cheap stuff they got from some board EE but they still had lingering doubts about the upper failing again and decided to trade it off at a gun show or EE to someone else to deal with...

The only thing I am surprised about is that the bright spots were not blackened with a sharpee marker, prior to being traded to the new unsuspecting owner...

Again, this is just a WAG on my part and I have no actual knowledge of the events or the parties involved...

S/F

B

jet80tv
09-04-11, 11:22
normal wear, it seems would just be the finish worn off, I've seen several instances of this but actual displacement of metal seems abnormal.

Stickman
09-04-11, 12:02
For anyone claiming this is normal wear, please post a few images of the various weapons you work with which show the same uneven damage.

Iraqgunz
09-04-11, 12:16
Good call. Quite possible.

FYI, This is biased on nothing more than my opinion...

It looks to me like that was caused by a broken bolt freezing the cam in place during firing. Under recoil, the whole thing would of locked up tighter than a tick. When the shooter could not clear the malfunction with "SPORTS" they freaked out and used something like an ammo can and a GI cleaning rod section to hammer it out.

Its likely that they then replaced the broken parts with cheap stuff they got from some board EE but they still had lingering doubts about the upper failing again and decided to trade it off at a gun show or EE to someone else to deal with...

The only thing I am surprised about is that the bright spots were not blackened with a sharpee marker, prior to being traded to the new unsuspecting owner...

Again, this is just a WAG on my part and I have no actual knowledge of the events or the parties involved...

S/F

B

Mark82ndABN
09-04-11, 12:18
For anyone claiming this is normal wear, please post a few images of the various weapons you work with which show the same uneven damage.

Yea, I'd like to see some other pics of similar "wear". I thought I ran my AR's hard but I guess I'm just a wall flower if the OP's pic is "normal wear":confused: Altoids pic looks more like the typical wear you would see in that area.

GTifosi
09-04-11, 12:55
As the damage is mostly on the chamber side of the relief area, I'd lean more toward it being the result of someone pounding the dogshit out of the forward assist or even the rear of the BCG, particularly given this statement:

the guy said its possible he did it when he was trying to get a 6.8 barrel in battery

Bolt didn't lock, so dude wailed on it.

The little 'ripples' in the deeper cut to the left/chamber side of the picture indicate it occured in stages rather than a singular high pressure or high impact load event.
IWO each ripple would be representative of one heavy blow. As in it got hit way more than just once to try and get a lock.

Purely my perspective, YMMV, not responsible for inaccurate results, use at your own risk, not liable for damages, etc.

buckjay
09-04-11, 13:22
Thanks for the responses folks. I agree, doesn't look like something you'd see normally.

Now my next question is - is it a big deal?

The person who sold/traded it to me has offered to take it back but I spent an hour cleaning his rail (it was full of spider webs and dog hair, lot harder to clean the entire INSIDE of a 13.75" rail then it sounds) and if the gouge is without a doubt not going to affect any functionality of my weapon then I rather just suck it up and keep it.

Thanks again.

Mark82ndABN
09-04-11, 14:03
Not sure if that gouge poses a problem (now or in the future) but when I see that kind of abuse it would make me wonder what other parts of that upper were abused or stressed out as a result of whatever caused the original damage.

scoutfsu99
09-04-11, 14:17
Not sure if that gouge poses a problem (now or in the future) but when I see that kind of abuse it would make me wonder what other parts of that upper were abused or stressed out as a result of whatever caused the original damage.

Considering it's monolithic, I doubt much else. Buckjay, LMT will be able to tell you without a doubt. Just have patience until Tuesday.

For an inexpert opinion.....it doesn't look like the result of a continued action. It looks like a one time event and I doubt it will cause you any future problems. I'd like to hear what LMT says though.

eternal24k
09-04-11, 14:29
As the damage is mostly on the chamber side of the relief area, I'd lean more toward it being the result of someone pounding the dogshit out of the forward assist or even the rear of the BCG, particularly given this statement:

Bolt didn't lock, so dude wailed on it.

The little 'ripples' in the deeper cut to the left/chamber side of the picture indicate it occured in stages rather than a singular high pressure or high impact load event.
IWO each ripple would be representative of one heavy blow. As in it got hit way more than just once to try and get a lock.

Purely my perspective, YMMV, not responsible for inaccurate results, use at your own risk, not liable for damages, etc.

I agree with this speculation.

Heavy Metal
09-04-11, 16:21

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6190/6111964011_83c6bfb704.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28535607@N00/6111964011/)

The above is normal wear. The original picture is NOT!

davidjinks
09-05-11, 13:00
In my not so professional opinion…

If you look at the direction of the striations, it appears that some type of chisel was used to remove the aluminum.

Vertical, flat marks from top to bottom, leaving a deeper ledge on the bottom. That is looking at the picture in the present position.

scoutfsu99
09-07-11, 09:54
Buckjay, any news on this?