PDA

View Full Version : M&P .45 Compact

skipper49
09-03-11, 19:52
I've taken a sudden liking to the M&P,.45 compact, with manual safety. Really a good feel in my hands. I know that there are a lot of M&P fans among the Pros on this site. In fact that's what got me to look at them in the first place, respect for your opinion of them. Are there any issues with the COMPACT version in .45?
Also, I know many of you have started to use the Apex parts, and I understand that trigger pull and quality is improved. My question is, does the stock set up have any durability or reliability issues, or is just the improved quality of pull and reset the main advantages of the Apex system? In other words, is the pistol with stock trigger "GTG", out of the box?

Skip

redfernsoljah
09-03-11, 20:32
No issues with the trigger as far as reliability aftermarket is an improvement in feel.

GJM
09-03-11, 22:23
I find the .45 mid-size (four inch barrel with full size grip) much easier to shoot than the compact model with the same length barrel but shorter grip. A number of others have reported the same thing.

Dienekes
09-03-11, 23:42
Why would you want the manual safety? I cut my teeth on a 1911, but that is a different breed of animal entirely.

For a while I lusted after a compact M&P .45 but minus that feature. Not questioning your right to "have it your way" but the logic evades me.

DocGKR
09-04-11, 01:05
Because the M&P safety is unobtrusive, ergonomic, and can be of substantial benefit; a better question is why would you NOT want a safety?

I strongly prefer having a manual safety on a pistol that is used for uniformed LE use; I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing--I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc... Likewise, if you plan on carrying AIWB, a manual safety may prove to be a prudent item to use. If you are coming from a 1911 background, you may find the M&P safety to feel very familiar--in 25 years of 1911 use, I have NEVER had an issue with the thumb safety preventing me from firing when I wanted to. I firmly believe that the manual safety is one of the major advantages the M&P has over Glock. In general, when push comes to shove, given my experiences in the military and LE since 1985, I prefer a manual safety. Is it a deal breaker? No, as I am currently qual'd on and carry both 9 mm Glocks (obviously w/o a manual safety) and M&P45's w/ambi safety, but a manual safety is definitely my preference...

Imagine being mugged, hit over the head, and stunned; bad guy pulls out your pistol, but does not remove safety and so pistol fails to go off as he sits there squeezing the trigger...I personally saw this happen to someone.

You are at home and set your pistol down for a brief moment as you begin to change and your child who was hiding reaches up and grabs it....I personally have seen this occur once as well.

You are carrying IWB and your jacket zipper catches on the trigger as your attention wonders a brief second while re-holstering after a stressful encounter--boom...I have seen this happen to someone as well. This can be particularly tragic with AIWB...

fixit69
09-04-11, 01:32
Because the M&P safety is unobtrusive, ergonomic, and can be of substantial benefit; a better question is why would you NOT want a safety?

I strongly prefer having a manual safety on a pistol that is used for uniformed LE use; I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing--I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc... Likewise, if you plan on carrying AIWB, a manual safety may prove to be a prudent item to use. If you are coming from a 1911 background, you may find the M&P safety to feel very familiar--in 25 years of 1911 use, I have NEVER had an issue with the thumb safety preventing me from firing when I wanted to. I firmly believe that the manual safety is one of the major advantages the M&P has over Glock. In general, when push comes to shove, given my experiences in the military and LE since 1985, I prefer a manual safety. Is it a deal breaker? No, as I am currently qual'd on and carry both 9 mm Glocks (obviously w/o a manual safety) and M&P45's w/ambi safety, but a manual safety is definitely my preference...

Imagine being mugged, hit over the head, and stunned; bad guy pulls out your pistol, but does not remove safety and so pistol fails to go off as he sits there squeezing the trigger...I personally saw this happen to someone.

You are at home and set your pistol down for a brief moment as you begin to change and your child who was hiding reaches up and grabs it....I personally have seen this occur once as well.

You are carrying IWB and your jacket zipper catches on the trigger as your attention wonders a brief second while re-holstering after a stressful encounter--boom...I have seen this happen to someone as well. This can be particularly tragic with AIWB...

I have to agree with doc here. Simply put the pluses outweigh the potential downside(and I see none) that are there. For carry., you can't be too safe, and clumsy as I can be, I'll end up needing all the help I can get.

Bolt_Overide
09-04-11, 09:30
I have 3 M&P's a 45, a 45c, and a 9c. None of them have a manual safety, but as I understand it, you can add a manual safety if you want.

I too have shot 1911's for years, and am seriously considering adding a safety to all three of them.

With that said, I will also add that the M&P is a fine pistol, and in my opinion a great improvement over glocks. I was a glock whore for years and have owned well over a dozen of them, I now own none.

Maverick9110e
09-04-11, 14:26
Exactly, its how you train. That being said you can buy one with it and remove it later if you change your mind but the reverse is a bit harder from what I understand.

nobody knows
09-04-11, 16:00
I bought an m&p 45c used that originally had the safety, but was removed by the previous owner. I thought no big deal I'll just buy a replacement right? Wrong I have been looking and looking and can not find one anywhere. My point is if you want the safety, buy one that has it. Or it will be a pain to find one later.

Edit to add. I love the 45c its one of my favorite pistols. It's exactly the same size as my main carry gun a g19. I don't find it hard to control at all but I could see how someone with large hands might.

Maverick9110e
09-04-11, 16:04
nobody knows, this may be a dumb question but have you tried calling S&W customer service and getting one?

nobody knows
09-04-11, 16:08
nobody knows, this may be a dumb question but have you tried calling S&W customer service and getting one?

Yes I tried them first. They no longer sell any of the safety parts for liability reasons.

czydj
09-04-11, 21:00
Yes I tried them first. They no longer sell any of the safety parts for liability reasons.

Did you ask them if you could send it back and get it added? If they won't do it in their normal repair shop, what about the custom shop?

Dos Cylindros
09-04-11, 21:06
I have both the full size M&P 45 and the M&P 45 compact. My full size came with the thumb safety as it was the only one available. I quickly removed it (easy task) and my compact I bought with no thumb safety. I carry a Glock 22 every day on duty so I don't want my off duty guns to require a different set of motor skills then my duty gun. That being said, I LOVE my 45 compact!!! For me it is the perfect off duty gun. It fits my hand far better than my G23 that I got rid of for the 45 compact, and it is a wonderful peice of kit. It has proven as reliable as my G23, thoug I have not had it as long or put as many rounds through it but I see no signs that it won't live up to the durability and reliability of my previous G23.

nobody knows
09-04-11, 21:58
Did you ask them if you could send it back and get it added? If they won't do it in their normal repair shop, what about the custom shop?

I'm emailing them about that now. Hopefully they take care of it for me. If they don't I'll be looking for someone that doesn't want their's anymore..

Steve S.
09-04-11, 23:20
I'm no Pro - but i love the size of the M&P45c. Wish they'd make a 9mm that size. It's perfect for CCW.

The thumb safety I'm not huge on - but it's incredibly easy to disengage - even compared to 1911s. I will say I think it's great for some people.

Issues? Yea I have one. My mag catch. It won't lock open occasionally on empty. It's not shooter error or a bad mag. How do I know? It won't lock ANY fullsize mags open. I have to physically exert force on the bottom of the magazine to get it to go to slide lock. I have never heard of this issue from others - but mine will eventually go back to SW. As soon as I first picked it up I thought the mags rattled a bit too much.

teamacacia
09-05-11, 09:10
I have 3 M&P's a 45, a 45c, and a 9c. None of them have a manual safety, but as I understand it, you can add a manual safety if you want...

Bolt,
I think there are two different sear housing blocks, one that will and one that will not accept the manual safety. You will probably have to look at yours to decide which it is.
I found this out when considering the purchase of the Apex RAM. The RAM will not fit the manual safety SHB because S&W had to redesign the SHB just for the manual safety. IIRC (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the non-safety SHB has an open spot for the internal locking system and this is where the RAM is installed. However, my SHB does not have that opening because of the safety.

Magsz
09-05-11, 12:13
The .45's are the only guns that come equipped with a frame ready to accept a safety as a drop in part.

The 9's (excluding the range kits/FDE frames) CANNOT accept a safety unless you're able to source the safety ready sear housing block AND modify your frame accordingly. It is not worth the time and effort.

If available, i personally suggest that anyone on the fence about whether or not they want or need a safety to buy the gun with the safety from the factory. You can always remove it, the reverse is not true.

Steve, that is a fairly unique issue, have you tried a new mag catch and a new slide lock?

Steve S.
09-05-11, 13:15
Steve, that is a fairly unique issue, have you tried a new mag catch and a new slide lock?

No sir. I've only had it a couple months - and originally picked it up just because they dont make a blue gun for it and we got a ton of requests. It's really grown on me.

Aside from that issue - everything is noticeably higher quality then my earlier 9mm - and that was the silver striker / stepped rear sight version. The finish is much deeper and nicer. The trigger is heavier (I understand all .45s are) but a lot less "crunchy". The reset isnt anything to write home about - but considerably more tactile then the 9mm. I've actually skipped the DCAEK at this point since I don't find the trigger particularly bad overall. Kind of like the shorter pretravel.

I suppose it could be the slide lock - but I'm convinced the mag catch was formed too small. Very noticeable wiggle and Audible rattling when empty. If I rack the slide several times, the compact mags won't lock open. A fullsize mag will never lock open.

My best idea is the mag catch is missing maybe a hundredth of an inch of material at the top. So when the window is caught by it - it's not exerting enough upward force to engage the slide lock. I suppose the slide lock could be out of spec as well - causing the same issue by not having enough material. Makes sense.

Both Google and myself have never seen This issue - so I'm sure it's just a lemon. If nothing else I'd like SW to see the issue just to have a log of it for future guns.

But hell of a gun. Perfect size. I never liked that the 9c couldn't run a proper weapon light. Although the X300 compact may fix this - I still love the medium length barrel and compact grip. Perfect combo. It's killing me not to chop my 9mm down to the same dimensions.

Obligatory pics...

http://tapatalk.com/mu/452fc624-112e-9ef5.jpg
With 9mm fullsize.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/452fc624-1167-d7df.jpg
Ameriglo iDots.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/452fc624-11a8-1313.jpg
With 9mm fullsize.