PDA

View Full Version : open carry poll

pilotguyo540
09-03-11, 20:34
I hope this is in the right section.

First, I know how many of you are against open carry. I for one agree you. After inquiring today, I was told that I would almost certainly be denied CCW because of traffic violations.

My question is very specific. If open carry was your only option, would you?

Please don't tell me I should move, or that my laws are BS. I can't, and I know.

I understand thatevery open carry experience is an invitation for a street interview with the local LEO. On the up side, I could typically be mistaken for a cop.

Sorry for beating a dead horse.

Hmac
09-03-11, 20:46
You will inevitably draw the attention of the local cops, and each time a report will be filled out. Assuming you don't get shot, or arrested for "disturbing the peace", the reports of those "MWAG" encounters will likely come up at CCW application time long after your driving record has become clean.

pilotguyo540
09-03-11, 21:09
I hear that. The bitch of it is, that I have a "clean" record. I was issued tickets that are no longer on my record or never counted as points.

These policies can easily push well intentioned stand up citizens into the "assclown" catagory easily.

ghostrider1
09-03-11, 21:35
At least you have the option to open carry. Here in the peoples republic of Maryland, we can't do either. Coming from someone that can't carry in his home state but can go 20min down the road and open carry or CCW, I say open carry it is. Better to be safe than sorry. You can carry your gun, you can't carry a LEO on your hip.

one
09-03-11, 22:05
This is such a loaded question for me. I don't want to see OC go away. There are plenty of valid times to utilize it. But in my opinion strolling around town scaring the hell out of all the soccer moms and getting the local LE called out isn't the best of times to be doing so.

xcibes
09-03-11, 22:36
I open carry often and I have to see anyone cowering in fear from seeing me walk around the city with my weapon....people sometimes ask if I have a permit or if it is ok to open carry but I have yet to see anyone freak out over it. I do have a chp buti like to have options, and no I do not do it to be "in-your-face", it is simply for my convenience. there are some places where I don't usually carry openly, but like I said, having options is good.

muzlblast
09-03-11, 22:44
I agree with one. If open carry is the ONLY option, then yes I would go with it. I think there are many times when it is appropriate such as being out in the woods, or maybe working on a farm but for the most part I think it just looks ridiculous for ordinary people even though I agree with and support their right to open carry.

one
09-03-11, 22:54
If it matters I voted for "Yes, on occasion".

William B.
09-03-11, 23:12
This is such a loaded question for me. I don't want to see OC go away. There are plenty of valid times to utilize it. But in my opinion strolling around town scaring the hell out of all the soccer moms and getting the local LE called out isn't the best of times to be doing so.

Well said. I OC every once in a while. I know a few people who only OC. They realize that they are putting themselves out there and that this makes them very forward ambassadors for Second Amendment rights. It reflects in the way that they dress, speak, and act when they are OCing.

I have also seen the guys who are wearing wife-beaters and baggy pants while OCing and having vulgar conversations with their thugged-out butt buddies :stop: Not so good.

For the record, if OC was my only option that is exactly what I would do just like I CC now. I think that if you go about it in the right way you won't have too many problems.

Lincoln7
09-03-11, 23:30
I OC everywhere I am allowed. I have never been harassed in the 2 years since I started. I have received numerous props from cops and citizens alike. I know there are pros and cons to OC (as wells as CC) but for me it fits my lifestyle well. I attempt to provide a positive image at all times when OCing by dressing decently, acting politely, etc. I am also mistaken for LE once in a while. (Their minds seem at ease when I tell them I am ex-military) Just know the laws in your state and follow them. I also recommend carrying a small voice recorder with you (OC or CC) as it may protect you in court. This is assuming that if your state allows you to carry, it allows you to record audio.

Dienekes
09-03-11, 23:35
Even though I checked "occasionally", as a general rule I think OC is ridiculous. We don't live in the Balkans and we don't need internal passports to move from an oppressive state to a freer one. I prefer the NW and Rocky mountain states to other parts of the country and other than military service have managed to stay in that area.

There are some states that if I found myself in them, I'd hop the first freight out of town. Life is too short to spend it as a subject.

Long Tom Coffin
09-03-11, 23:59
Even though I checked "occasionally", as a general rule I think OC is ridiculous. We don't live in the Balkans and we don't need internal passports to move from an oppressive state to a freer one. I prefer the NW and Rocky mountain states to other parts of the country and other than military service have managed to stay in that area.

There are some states that if I found myself in them, I'd hop the first freight out of town. Life is too short to spend it as a subject.

I would have to agree with you. I don't personally see either the necessity or desirability of OC, but I can't legitimately say that people can't do it either. I do believe that the ability to carry a firearm for self protection, whether concealed or openly, is a fundamental right. While I think OC causes more harm than good (actually, I rephrase that, I know it causes more harm than good. Several municipalities here in St. Louis County have banned OC because of over-zealous OC proponents), I'm not going to be the the person going around telling people that they can't do stuff, being the libertarian that I am.

From my own standpoint, OC simply scares the sheep. I don't believe it serves any real tactical purpose other than offering pseudo-machismo and freaking out the fat, dumb and happy people who live in their own little condition white bubble of obliviousness. Again, that is from my own standpoint.

warlord260
09-04-11, 00:19
I OC when i am hunting or fishing the rivers. I dont think i would in a more public place. For the record most think i am a LEO anyway.

pilotguyo540
09-04-11, 00:20
Just food for thought, the courts have ruled in my AO that because we are allowed OC, CCW is not a right, and "shall issue" need not apply.

If OC were removed, theoretically CCW would have to become "shall issue."

When I lived in AZ, people OC'd all the time. You stopped paying attention after a few weeks. I understand that Oprah's minions may get their depends undergarments in a wad, its still a silly emotional response.

Their are tactical advantages to OC. There are a lot of disadvantages too. I think a balance could be reached if you dressed well and walked with purpose. I am way over thinking this thing today.

Interesting poll results so far.

one
09-04-11, 00:30
it causes more harm than good. Several municipalities here in St. Louis County have banned OC because of over-zealous OC proponents

We recently went through the same thing here. A local individual walked his dog every night and OC'd. The PD got so many calls on it that the city commission was seriously considering an ordinance against it. The biggest concern was it wouldn't take long for the local gang bangers and wannabees would learn that it was, in fact, legal for them to OC their pistols and they'd be carrying more. And before anyone comments on the criminal element not being smart enough to figure this out I can tell you. Some of them certainly are here. And then more will follow.

What's ironic about this is that what the guy was doing (walking his dog late at night) is one arena I think he's likely justified more than not in OC'ing. Theoretically there's fewer people out and the time frame and dark hours pretty well provided him with a natural blanket.

But in reality what he was doing was choosing the downtown area where the most people were and carrying a 6" barrel L or N frame Smith and Wesson revolver in a cowboy rig. Calls came in every night.

The final disposition was that he eventually lost interest in his dog walking excursions with the big gun and now you rarely ever see him, and when you do he's not carrying it anymore. It all pretty much went by the wayside with the city commission. But because of his brief love affair with gunslinging after finding out he could do so, he almost cost a lot of sensible citizens a valuable tool for the right situation.

zodtgr8
09-04-11, 01:52
I live in a Shall issue state but didn't get my CCW until literally just last week when it arrived in the mail. OC on the other hand is something for which there is no legislation and its practice has become more common (despite a few growing pains with LE agencies).
I have OC'd every day that I was legally able to since (I am a working student so days I go to class I keep my carry gun at home).
I've never had any unpleasant run-ins with the local LEOs and the most greif I've ever gotten was a lady at the Home Depot who asked me why I was carrying. Hell, I once had a stranger voice his support of my choice to carry.
I even wrote up a small piece on OC for another forum that I frequent
http://operatorchan.org/st/res/8292.html

Yeah, with my CCW I will be doing it a whole lot less as I move to my concealment handguns, but OC will not cease to remain an option, particularly in a place where a concealment garment isn't always a feasible option, especially in the summer time.
Stilll if OC was the only option for carry, I'd do it without reservations. If your AO has a solid community of citizens who care about their right to OC, it can be done despite some resistance at first depending on how pro/anti-gun your AO is.
Just remember, with that firearm out in the open, like it or not, you are now a representative to the rest of the world as to what a responsibly armed citizen is like. Be professional, be polite and for the love of God, don't **** it up for the rest of us.

But in reality what he was doing was choosing the downtown area where the most people were and carrying a 6" barrel L or N frame Smith and Wesson revolver in a cowboy rig. Calls came in every night.
Yeah, people like that aren't helping set a good image for responsibly armed citizens.
While I personally haven't seen it, it honestly grinds my gears more than the white trash looking guy who OCs a Jennings in a POS nylon holster he picked up at a gun show.

ZombieDefenseHQ
09-04-11, 06:56
I OC everywhere I am allowed. I have never been harassed in the 2 years since I started. I have received numerous props from cops and citizens alike. I know there are pros and cons to OC (as wells as CC) but for me it fits my lifestyle well. I attempt to provide a positive image at all times when OCing by dressing decently, acting politely, etc. I am also mistaken for LE once in a while. (Their minds seem at ease when I tell them I am ex-military) Just know the laws in your state and follow them. I also recommend carrying a small voice recorder with you (OC or CC) as it may protect you in court. This is assuming that if your state allows you to carry, it allows you to record audio.

Lincoln7 has it summed up pretty well. It's all about image when you OC... Now there are people out there who OC to make a 2A statement, but you can usually pick them out on how they carry themselves... their walk isn't natural, the look and wear of the gun and holster and their mannerisms... you can tell that if things went bad quick you wouldn't want to be near that guy.
I tend to OC more in the fall/winter months and CC in the warmer months, and when I do OC I make sure I'm not dressed like a douchebag, maybe it's my ex-military attitude... but if you dress and act respectable and you really know how to use that shiny-attention-getter-on-your-hip people will sense that and respect you for it.

montanadave
09-04-11, 08:16
I'll open carry when hiking in bear country and occasionally when walking the dogs in some of the county parks around town (as we've had more than one incident with mountain lions skulking about), but for the most part I carry concealed.

The problem I would face if unable to obtain a CCW and restricted to open carry would be how to dress in Montana during a good portion of the year and still "open" carry. Don't most open carry laws stipulate that the weapon has to be plainly visible? So if my only option was to open carry and it's cold outside, I've got to strap on a gun belt outside of my jacket or coat? That's a little Old West for me. Might as well just carry a shotgun on a sling or am I missing something?

How do you "open carry" when it's cold outside?

TriviaMonster
09-04-11, 08:19
I do not want to see open carry vanquished, but I'm not someone who does it a lot. I open carry when I hike and when I thru-hike. Most small towns in Missouri don't mind the open carry. I also open carry at bass pro(headquarters) because they encourage it and its the norm. But other than that, its ccw. If I didn't have the choice to ccw, I would open carry at appropriate times as in places I feel unsafe etc. Open carry has a time and a place, but anymore its not worth the hassle of mwag Leo visits. And to be honest I don't want to make people uncomfortable with it, that's not what its for and only gives power to the Brady bunch.

ETA I did read something funny the other day not totally on topic. It was about carrying with one in the chamber and about how much faster it is to draw an already loaded weapon than not. The person then went on to say that its funny people are always "one in the chamber or not at all" even though open carry is so much faster than concealed you never hear anyone say open carry on the hip or not at all. Food for thought. BTW I always have one in the chamber.
Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Nephrology
09-04-11, 08:38
I have OCed while hiking but I do not think that I would ever be comfortable doing so in public areas.

adrenaline151
09-04-11, 09:11
I OC when I'm in the woods, or sometimes if I stop at a store or somewhere when I'm on my way to checking bear baits or something like that, when I'm carrying something fullsize and only wearing a t-shirt or something like that. I try to stay concealed as much as possible, just because I always figured that if the SHTF, I'd be the first one to be shot. I guess I feel like OC takes away MY element of surprise. I'd rather look like everyone else than be the obvious "gun guy".

Caeser25
09-04-11, 09:28
Didn't read the whole thread. Check into your local laws. Here in PA when open carrying, the second you get into your vehicle you are now concealed carrying.

But do what you gotta do. Carry some open carry pamphlets with you, too.

pilotguyo540
09-04-11, 09:37
My local law states that to OC, the firearm must be empty.

Carrying in the woods is definately a different ball of wax. I thought OC in the woods was a given. Loaded even. I rarely see people in the woods anyways. My exception to this, is when I use heavily trafficed trails to popular destinations.

Taguin
09-04-11, 09:47
I've OC out in the country side while I was hiking. Came across a few people out there, they didn't notice I was carrying. I had a permit to carry for a few years, I always went AIWB, gave me peace of mind.

Long Tom Coffin
09-04-11, 10:10
We recently went through the same thing here. A local individual walked his dog every night and OC'd. The PD got so many calls on it that the city commission was seriously considering an ordinance against it.

The sad part is that the individual in my area doesn't really believe in second amendment rights (I think). He came to 15 minutes of fame a few years ago when he was sitting in a parking lot, minding his own business, and a cop came up and started harassing him, for real. Threatening to assault him, trump up charges, etc. Fortunately, this dude has a recording rig in his car, and the whole shebang winds up on youtube (doesn't it always?). The cop and the chief resign, this kid becomes a minor local celebrity. About a year and a half later, he's out of the limelight, and has decided that open carry is going to be his new crusade to get himself back in the spotlight. I've had the chance to talk to him several times before, and in addition to being a complete moron, he has absolutely no concept of federal or state laws governing firearms. He's just clueless. Unfortunately, he was also clueless with a gun, and that's dangerous. So old boy wanders in to a super walmart in an OC "friendly" muni, complete with his pistol in a serpa holster (lol). Popo gets a MWAG call, they pull up, remember him, don't like him, relieve him of his weapon, and arrest him on other charges. 2 days later a cell recording of the individual appears (looks like the cops know about youtube, too). In this video the individual is conversing with another inmate, talking about how the cops had no right to relieve him of his weapon, how he could have just shot and killed them all, and so on. Complete assholery. A few weeks later, the avalanche of municipalities flooding down to ban OC begins.

I'd normally account this as and incident of one asshole causing a disproportionate amount of damage, except for the fact that alot of open carry people I have met are just like him. Not all of them, of course, but enough to give me pause.

The biggest concern was it wouldn't take long for the local gang bangers and wannabees would learn that it was, in fact, legal for them to OC their pistols and they'd be carrying more. And before anyone comments on the criminal element not being smart enough to figure this out I can tell you. Some of them certainly are here. And then more will follow.

It's a huge mistake to think they are stupid. They may be short on booksmarts, but they are still cunning as hell.

dougwg
09-04-11, 10:16
How many here that say the cops will be called and you will scare the soccer moms have personal experienced it?

I've been OC'ing for a few years now and I've had overwhelming support by those that notice.

Rumors, guessing what might happen and regurgitating what others have surmised is not fact.

Cobra66
09-04-11, 10:35
My local law states that to OC, the firearm must be empty.

Carrying in the woods is definately a different ball of wax. I thought OC in the woods was a given. Loaded even. I rarely see people in the woods anyways. My exception to this, is when I use heavily trafficed trails to popular destinations.

Which it obviously BS when they state back that since OC is legal there is no need for on demand issue of CCW. I truly do feel your pain but I see the unloaded open carry movement really more for political movement than than a reasonable form of self defense.

Other than applying for CCW in your county (I understand the SAC area is a lot more liberal with CCW) and being active in the 2A fight in the PRK, then there is little you can do other than "do what you got to do."

Far be it for me to advocate breaking the law, but ask yourself when was the last time you got Terry searched by a cop while going about your day to day life?

drsal
09-04-11, 10:49
I have OCed while hiking but I do not think that I would ever be comfortable doing so in public areas.

In agreement ! OC, unless you are a uniformed LEO, or wearing a LEO badge, just marks you as target...not really appropriate for the average citizen....

LMT42
09-04-11, 11:08
I'm in the "OC is ridiculous in crowded, public areas" camp, but can appreciate certain aspects of the law. We can CC in Texas, but if your shirt slips and someone sees your weapon, you've just committed a crime and may lose your license. It would be nice to not worry about such instances. I also think people in small towns and sparsely populated areas (west texas) should be able to OC if they like.

It's the morons that insist on OCing in heavily populated areas that ruin it for all of us. IMO, if you would OC in the Galleria in Houston, you're just being provocative.

Cobra66
09-04-11, 11:21
It's the morons that insist on OCing in heavily populated areas that ruin it for all of us. IMO, if you would OC in the Galleria in Houston, you're just being provocative.

And if you are open carrying in Greenspoint, you are just being pro-active ;)

Axcelea
09-04-11, 11:29
I voted yes on occasion. Basically a benefits/pluses vs risk/cons where one can be more picky about when and where they carry as opposed to CC which mostly has risks/cons associated to petty things like clothing choice and gun weight.

Definitely wouldn't be considered a religious practitioner of it.

I hope this is in the right section.

First, I know how many of you are against open carry. I for one agree you. After inquiring today, I was told that I would almost certainly be denied CCW because of traffic violations.

Please don't tell me I should move, or that my laws are BS. I can't, and I know.

I understand thatevery open carry experience is an invitation for a street interview with the local LEO. On the up side, I could typically be mistaken for a cop.

Sorry for beating a dead horse.

If you do OC I would say dress well and carry yourself well and it would probably get rid of a lot of the negative element of OC and if something occurs then be tactful. I wouldn't be surprised if OC gets such a negative reputation due to over inflation from trash acting like trash. If someone looks like they came off Cops: Taking out the Trash and instantly gets irate with police yelling about this and that and waving a copy of 2A like a mad man then it will not go well.

Anyhow I would look further into the CC permit for you also. Depending who you talked to there could be a misunderstanding (talk to 2 people and get conflicting stories) and depending how the Q&A went there could be a misunderstanding.

Long Tom Coffin
09-04-11, 12:03
How many here that say the cops will be called and you will scare the soccer moms have personal experienced it?

I have. Just a couple nights ago, as a matter of fact.

I work part time in the kitchen of a local restaurant in an OC legal municipality. Most of the time when I work, I'm wearing a kydex OWB rig under my uniform tshirt .That damn kitchen is hotter than hell during the summer and I don't feel like sweating through my leather IWB rigs. Recently I've been wearing my X-Concealment C holster. I also always wear an undershirt tucked in.

The restaurant I work in is in the lower level of a small shopping mall. There is a bar on the upper level which is directly above the stairwell for the employee exit from the restaurant. In order to get to my car in the parking lot, I have to go up the stairs, make a right, and then proceed across the front of the bar to get to my car. Wednesday was a particularly busy night, it was hotter than usual and I ****ing stank. After leaving the restaurant through the aforementioned exit, I take off my uniform tshirt, sling it over my shoulder, and head up the stairs. I walk past the bar and walk the remaining 20 yards to my car. 20 yards.

Now, under missouri state law, there is nothing illegal with what I did. OC is legal in the muni this was in, and although I would need to disarm or get owner permission to carry in the bar, I didn't go in, so no problem there.

I make the brief drive home, pop open a cold one, and start to play some HALO for a bit before shower and bed. I'm not even home 5 minutes when my boss calls me and tells me the cops were there in response to a MWAG call from the bar above. Whoever made the call gave them my description as well as the description of my car, but not the license plates. The cops asked my boss if he had seen anything while he was locking up the store, and based on the description, told them who I was. He informed them that I was an employee of his with no criminal record, and licensed to conceal carry. That seemed to satisfy the cops, and they left. Before they did so, he asked them what the deal was considering OC is legal there. They told him that they know this, but they also have to respond to these calls as a matter of policy, no matter how idiotic it may be. For the record, my boss has his CCW and pocket carries a snub. He's too tiny to pack anything else.

This is the first time I've ever open carried in public, even though it was only a 20 yard walk to my car at about 9:30 at night. This was in a white middle class area in the county. After discussing with the bar owner, my boss found out that several patrons of the bar became seriously disturbed that I was carrying around the parking lot openly. Not one person complained, but several people.

I've been OC'ing for a few years now and I've had overwhelming support by those that notice.

Good for you. Of course, "overwhelming" is a subjective word, and I think you are probably overstating your case to support your cause.

Rumors, guessing what might happen and regurgitating what others have surmised is not fact.

And this is the kind of invalid, retarded ASSumption that seems to plague the OC movement. People who have had negative experiences while open carrying must be lying. I will always try it before I knock it, and in this case what I have experienced is fact. It is also fact that the majority of Police i have spoken to in St. Louis City and County (including in areas where OC is legal, such as bridgeton, maryland heights, St. Charles and Creve Coeur) do not condone open carry, as it generally creates more work for them than they need to do. It's not like they can say "Oh yea, he's probably not a felon in possession of a firearm just because he's white and has a serpa holster, so we aren't going to respond". Most of the ones I have spoken to I have met at the UD range out in St. Peters, which is owned by some current/ex LEO's and is a big cop hang out.

I invested a good deal of time and money in being able to acquire a concealed weapons permit. From my own experience, as well as the experiences of others I have heard from or been directly present with, as well as the opinions of officers and others that I have spoken to, open carry offers no advantages that well thought out concealed carry doesn't offer as well. In certain areas where the population density may not be as high, or guns may be more common, or whatever, it is certainly possible that open carry may be more accepted as a possibility. The problem with people like you is that you think that is applicable across the board, which it is not. In the areas I frequent the most because of where i live, population densities are much higher, income is much higher, and gun ownership is less common. Ergo, people freak when they see guns displayed openly without an accompanying badge. If you want an example of how retarded it can get, read up on the history of the concealed carry movement in St. Louis and Kansas City, and take a good look at all the shit we had to go through over the course of several years just to get the local and state legislatures to stop violating our constitutional rights.

pilotguyo540
09-04-11, 12:20
Which it obviously BS when they state back that since OC is legal there is no need for on demand issue of CCW. I truly do feel your pain but I see the unloaded open carry movement really more for political movement than than a reasonable form of self defense.

Other than applying for CCW in your county (I understand the SAC area is a lot more liberal with CCW) and being active in the 2A fight in the PRK, then there is little you can do other than "do what you got to do."

Far be it for me to advocate breaking the law, but ask yourself when was the last time you got Terry searched by a cop while going about your day to day life?

10-4.

I live in the last county surrounding Sac that in not shall issue. Ironically, this is supposedly one of the most conservative counties in the state.

Joeywhat
09-04-11, 12:22

Yes, I am also curious to know how many in this thread have personal experience either open carrying or personally witnessing such events (and knowing all the facts surrounding it as well).

Seems to be a lot of people talking out their ass on this topic. When it's about an AR barrel, everyone wants citations and for people who don't know what they're talking about to shut up...but somehow when it's about open carry all that is OK, and people are free to comment about shit they know nothing about.

Sounds very hypocritical.

Grizzly16
09-04-11, 12:28
I voted yes always. But most of that was due to the wording of the polls. If OC was the ONLY option than I'd always take the option. If I could open or conceal carry than I'd conceal most of the time. But sometimes the option to open carry would be amazingly nice.

G-lock
09-04-11, 12:40
Do both, know the law and move on.

one
09-04-11, 12:52
My second post on the subject pretty clearly defined how well OC was accepted here. You've got Long Tom above explaining his experiences. The tone in this thread is starting to get very close to the threads in opencarry.org

You're going to have good experiences and bad experiences. The bad always resonates farther than the good.

Individuals who get "Overwhelmingly positive responses from the public and pats on the back from law enforcement" I just can't see that in a world ran by sheep.

William B.
09-04-11, 13:17
People who have had negative experiences while open carrying must be lying. I will always try it before I knock it, and in this case what I have experienced is fact.

I see what you're saying. I don't OC regularly, but it is not a right that I take for granted or a policy that I think we should get rid of. I want it there for me if I need it. When I do OC I am not setting out to offend and make extra sure that I'm not acting/looking like a douche, but I also don't let the fact that Joe Citizen has been conditioned to fear firearms and has never educated himself stand in my way.

Long Tom Coffin
09-04-11, 13:18
My second post on the subject pretty clearly defined how well OC was accepted here. You've got Long Tom above explaining his experiences. The tone in this thread is starting to get very close to the threads in opencarry.org

My thoughts exactly, which is why I'm officially bowing out of this thread. I've said what I can, and an any further participation on my part would be indulgence, nothing more.

Individuals who get "Overwhelmingly positive responses from the public and pats on the back from law enforcement" I just can't see that in a world ran by sheep.

+1. I couldn't have said it any better.

dougwg
09-04-11, 13:37
I'd just like to thank you for calling me a liar.:thank_you2:

Yeah yeah, in a round about way but nevertheless, you did.

dougwg
09-04-11, 13:41

You're going to have good experiences and bad experiences. The bad always resonates farther than the good.

Again, questioning if I'm being honest....thanks for that.

Joeywhat doesn't OC as a rule. But he's been with me MANY time while I am OCing.

Joe, am I exaggerating the facts?

Joeywhat
09-04-11, 14:02
Again, questioning if I'm being honest....thanks for that.

Joeywhat doesn't OC as a rule. But he's been with me MANY time while I am OCing.

Joe, am I exaggerating the facts?

I don't think I've ever seen a negative interaction while with anyone who open carries.

Which isn't to say I think it never happens. I've heard the stories, read the police reports and watched the Youtube videos. Yes it happens. In my experiences, it does not happen very often. In my own experiences open carrying 95%-ish percent of people didn't even notice I was carrying.

In the cases where I was at a group event where multiple people were open carrying, I can certainly say responses overall were very positive. Informative tri-folds were handed out to MANY curious folks who inquired about open carry. They were genuinely interested in the idea, and many didn't even carry a firearm at all (some did own firearms). Again, cops weren't called, women and children didn't didn't run screaming at the sight of us and politicians didn't run to their offices to draft legislation to stop it. And the businesses we were at were more then welcoming and open to having people open carry there.

one
09-04-11, 14:07
I think you're seeing opposing view points in a discussion and an inability to understand how you're getting 100% positive views in a world where 100% of anything rarely happens as some sort of attack on you.

It's an interesting and defensive conclusion for you to jump to. Looking back at your 44 posts you have I'd say it's pretty much a pattern for you when anyone doesn't jump right in behind your view point.

At least your avatar picture seems to be an undebatable accuracy.

Joeywhat
09-04-11, 15:21
I think you're seeing opposing view points in a discussion and an inability to understand how you're getting 100% positive views in a world where 100% of anything rarely happens as some sort of attack on you.

It's an interesting and defensive conclusion for you to jump to. Looking back at your 44 posts you have I'd say it's pretty much a pattern for you when anyone doesn't jump right in behind your view point.

At least your avatar picture seems to be an undebatable accuracy.

Where did he say that every single experience ever was good? 'Overwhelmingly positive' means it's mostly positive support.

And I can say the same when I've open carried, or been with others open carrying. Sorry, but that's how it's been for us. If you don't believe it, then oh well.

one
09-04-11, 15:23
Well, lets hear about some of the bad experiences.

Axcelea
09-04-11, 16:11
Arguing about something that is heavily influenced with personal opinions, observations, interpretations, and experiences (which is in turn heavily influenced by many variables) by "both sides" is generally has no where to go..

Lincoln7
09-04-11, 16:14
I don't agree when people say that they CC for the element of surprise(!). I would much rather the situation be 'nipped it in the bud' by detering crime through OC, before it happens. I'll sit here and wait for a link where someone was shot first because they were open carrying, and I'll provide a link where crime was deterred by open carrying. NOT saying that OC is the only way or necessarily the best way for all situations. Just that myths are myths and regurgitating them is worse.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-atlanta/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

Spiffums
09-04-11, 17:09
The way I read the poll is OC or no gun. Not much of a choice if you want to be armed.

William B.
09-04-11, 17:24
This guy was robbed while OCing. Sounds like he had some training/mindset issues too.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html?video=pop&t=a&bctid=CLIP_ID_249430

Lincoln7
09-04-11, 18:08
This guy was robbed while OCing. Sounds like he had some training/mindset issues too.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html?video=pop&t=a&bctid=CLIP_ID_249430

Thanks for posting. That was a good article that focused on the fact that options are important. While rare, he was in quite a situation there that I have yet to train for significantly. While situational awareness may or may not have avoided this, it is a very important aspect of carrying.

alaskacop
09-04-11, 18:26
Thanks for posting. That was a good article that focused on the fact that options are important. While rare, he was in quite a situation there that I have yet to train for significantly. While situational awareness may or may not have avoided this, it is a very important aspect of carrying.

Agreed,

I am not a fan of OC in most situations. As it has already been pointed out by some, it brings way too much attention to yourself from the public, police and bad guys whereas CC does not. I feel for people who live in a non-CCW state and "restricted" states but OC in urban areas is just going to be way too much trouble.

Lincoln7
09-04-11, 18:40
I am not a fan of OC in most situations. As it has already been pointed out by some, it brings way too much attention to yourself from the public, police and bad guys whereas CC does not. I feel for people who live in a non-CCW state and "restricted" states but OC in urban areas is just going to be way too much trouble.

I think a large part of my mentality towards OC (and CC) is because I live in the free state of VA. Our local firearms rights organization, VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League) has made the carrying of firearms very much normalized in this state and has helped pass law after law towards 2A rights. I can certainly understand how a large number of individuals from other states don't see through my eyes on the matter.

Carniemedic
09-04-11, 19:13
I like the element of surprise and I rather not have a bad guy know that I am carrying so I am a fan of CC. If I was fishing, hiking, camping, or doing some other type of outdoor activity and have the option then I would OC. If my only option was to open carry then I would OC all of the time. I would rather be armed than unarmed.

dougwg
09-04-11, 20:19
I like the element of surprise and I rather not have a bad guy know that I am carrying so I am a fan of CC. If I was fishing, hiking, camping, or doing some other type of outdoor activity and have the option then I would OC. If my only option was to open carry then I would OC all of the time. I would rather be armed than unarmed.

How many times has that "element of surprise" worked for you?

I say it's a joke, a mere sound bite just like "assault weapon ban".

I wish someone could explain how that uber tactical "element of surprise" really works.

When an unarmed robber comes up to you demanding your wallet-is this when you "element of surprise" them?

Or do you wait till the bad guy has his gun leveled at your chest? Is it at this point that you out draw an already drawn gun and "element of surprise" the bad guy?

ETA:...no no no I get it...you "element of surprise" the bad guy when he's running away right?

JDest
09-04-11, 20:33
While maybe not in so many words, I mostly agree with dougwg here. I wouldn't consider element of surprise into my preparations for CC or OC. It reminds me of the idea that bad guys in your house run away when they hear the racking of a pump shotgun. You wouldn't train to scare your opponent with your element of surprise would you?

Axcelea
09-04-11, 20:48
A lot of that is a murky speculatory area.

OC may deter people from targeting the carrier, those who are not deterred may now end up in a higher state of alertness/get buddies/be super aggressive/etc. CC on the other hand the carrier can be "just another victim" for the predator but then "surprise" the prey is not so defenseless.

I am not endorsing any particular line of thought on the matter but there is phenomena at play for both sides.

dougwg
09-04-11, 20:48
While maybe not in so many words, I mostly agree with dougwg here. I wouldn't consider element of surprise into my preparations for CC or OC. It reminds me of the idea that bad guys in your house run away when they hear the racking of a pump shotgun. You wouldn't train to scare your opponent with your element of surprise would you?

hahaha... I'm gunna try that at my low light class next weekend. ;)

randyman_ar
09-04-11, 20:50
I voted no but that was before I read(:rolleyes: yeah I know) the only option part. I would definitely carry on occasion.

goodoleboy
09-04-11, 21:03
I will preface my response by saying that I have a ccw permit, but since I am a school teacher, I can't cc or oc 5 days a week anyway. I live in NC, so our state is firearms friendly, however, our state's citizens (for the most part) don't understand firearms laws. I worked as a 911 operator while I was in college and several years thereafter. I can't begin to recall how many calls we received from horrified soccer moms wanting to report a "killing spree about to happen," just because they saw someone open carrying.

I am not one to want to attract attention to myself anyway. I do realize that if I open carried it would attract considerable amounts of attention from bystanders and law enforcement. Most officers locally know me from working in communications for several years, but outside of my county I am sure I would be stopped and questioned a lot.

It sucks that our society is like this, but the sad truth is that most of the populace has no clue how many child molestors, rapists, and violent criminals are walking around you every day. My problem is that my career prevents me from carrying on my person or in the vehicle I drive to work. So, unfortunately, between the hours of 7am and 5pm I am unarmed, which royally sucks. So, in some ways, I feel your pain.

jwperry
09-05-11, 04:00
If I had the option, I don't, I'd OC in certain areas around my state. I'd CC more often though.

I do live down the road from a very large University and really don't care to deal with the hassle. Not because I'm not a 2A proponent, but because in general I have a short fuse and would probably end up arrested each time I OC'd around my locale.

Personally, I see no point in OC an unloaded firearm. I'd be more inclined to carry a baton or some other melee weapon that I would be allowed to CC...or anything more ready for immediate action.

Lincoln7
09-05-11, 04:13
If I had the option, I don't, I'd OC in certain areas around my state. I'd CC more often though.

I do live down the road from a very large University and really don't care to deal with the hassle. Not because I'm not a 2A proponent, but because in general I have a short fuse and would probably end up arrested each time I OC'd around my locale.

Personally, I see no point in OC an unloaded firearm. I'd be more inclined to carry a baton or some other melee weapon that I would be allowed to CC...or anything more ready for immediate action.

I've never experienced 'the hassle' of OC in my time doing so. Please explain how you have.

If having a short fuse is your reason against OCing, are you sure you should be CCing either?

Why is anyone OCing an unloaded firearm? Unless you are in Kalifornia, of course.

jwperry
09-05-11, 05:10
I've never experienced 'the hassle' of OC in my time doing so. Please explain how you have.

Unrestricted OC is not allowed in my area, in my single run in with law enforcement(traffic violation) I had 5 squad cars called and 10 officers when I informed them I had a concealed carry permit and was carrying. With my luck, the SWAT team would be called if I OC'd into Publix to pick up groceries.

If having a short fuse is your reason against OCing, are you sure you should be CCing either?
Not a short fuse in terms of "that guy cut me off, I'm following him home to give him some", short fuse in terms of "you don't know what you are talking about, why are you harassing me, leave me the f^*& alone...I could see this would be directly related to any call about me carrying in my locale. We don't want to scare the tourists! :rolleyes: (roll eyes not directed at you, this is what the anti-open carry lobby's biggest reason against unrestricted OC in Florida)

Why is anyone OCing an unloaded firearm? Unless you are in Kalifornia, of course.

How fast can you present, load, slide rack, acquire target and fire your gun? At least for me, it would be considerably faster to present a collapsible baton to defend myself then it would be engage in those steps. But, then again, I can be an average shooter on my best days and on my worst...well yeah.

Carniemedic
09-05-11, 07:37
How many times has that "element of surprise" worked for you?

I say it's a joke, a mere sound bite just like "assault weapon ban".

I wish someone could explain how that uber tactical "element of surprise" really works.

When an unarmed robber comes up to you demanding your wallet-is this when you "element of surprise" them?

Or do you wait till the bad guy has his gun leveled at your chest? Is it at this point that you out draw an already drawn gun and "element of surprise" the bad guy?

ETA:...no no no I get it...you "element of surprise" the bad guy when he's running away right?

When I say element of surprise I mean that if there is a bad guy walking around about to open up on people and he sees you open carrying I would think that he would take you out first. I’m going on mere speculation, but I’m guessing that the officer at the army base that took out all those people, or the crazy in Arizona that shot the congress woman, or the guy at the college, or any other example of when a gunman has opened up on a crowd would take out an unsuspecting OC man or woman first. That is where I say element of surprise works. Thank God that it I haven’t needed it to work for me. Obviously when you say “element of surprise” when a gun is leveled at my chest then it would not work, I should have clarified it in my original post.

Maverick9110e
09-05-11, 12:51
I OC on a daily basis. Use your rights or lose them. It allows me to comfortably carry a full size firearm and makes drawing easier. I also don't look like an easy Target for a crime of opportunity as well. The biggest kick and bonus about OC is the people you meet. Ive been able to educate so many people on the local laws that just didn't know and now they carry or at least consider it more now. In the year of doing it I have yet to have a bad experience. Personally I don't give a rats ass about it making someone "feel uncomfortable.". If you feel that way then get an education. I shouldn't have to cater to you because you don't like how I look or how I carry my firearm, and I refuse to let the sheeple dictate my 2A rights. I always dress well, usually a polo shirt and jeans.

That being said its not for everyone. I feel that you should carry how you feel comfortable, but for goodness sake carry one way or the other.

novaDAK
09-06-11, 02:11
Deleted.

MeanStreaker
09-08-11, 17:57
I am the biggest supporter of however anyone chooses to carry for defense, whether that is concealed handgun, open handgun, open rifle, whatever. So if open carry is all that is available, absolutely I would exercise that right and I wish more did.

I prefer CCW for tactical and sometimes social reasons.

qwik48
09-08-11, 18:11
NO... if I can conceal it WHY would I? I see NO benefit to open carry... I do see drawbacks...

1)how much training do you have in weapon retention? It would suck to be shot with your own gun...

2)If your in a bank when it get robbed by people with long arms and they see you little handgun your getting shot first... tactical disadvantage.

pilotguyo540
09-08-11, 18:15
NO... if I can conceal it WHY would I? I see NO benefit to open carry... I do see drawbacks...

You missed the entire point of the thread. CC is off the table. Unarmed, or open carry. Those are the real choices.

qwik48
09-08-11, 18:31
I didn't miss the point.

I don't see a point being made either...

I see a bunch of opinions and a poll which I did not cast a vote on. I don't like open carry... I think sooner or later some law-abiding hot head is going to throw a monkey wrench in the 2nd amendment because they lose their cool while open carrying.

I would not open carry

And in my state you can open carry all day long.

I don't feel like reading tons pages worth of opinions either.

If law says only open carry... well I'd be the dude without a gun on my person. If everyone else in society was open carrying, then I might consider it. Maybe I'd carry a pocket full of rocks... maybe something else.

My point is I like to be low key and under the radar... open carry ain't flying under the radar.

I don't even open carry a pistol while I'm in the woods...

Lincoln7
09-08-11, 18:38
I don't like open carry... I think sooner or later some law-abiding hot head is going to throw a monkey wrench in the 2nd amendment because they lose their cool while open carrying.

So if some law abiding hot head loses their cool while concealed carrying then there is no issue. God forbid they be open carrying, then it's bad for society.

qwik48
09-08-11, 18:47
So if some law abiding hot head loses their cool while concealed carrying then there is no issue. God forbid they be open carrying, then it's bad for society.

If you read between the lines you might actually see that most criminals aren't open carrying.. I wonder why? You might have also used logic to figure out why I said law abiding (ie criminal=NOT law abiding...) You could even go further into the beauty of your human intellect by imagining the headlines as they read from the unbiased (read gun hating) reporter: "people killed as man with holstered and visible gun (ie he was open carrying) loses his cool because he asked for NO pickles (aaaannnddd he gets pissed off loses control and hurts someone)". You see the stigma there? Is it fair? No... is that life? yep...

I'm not getting in a pissing contest with anyone on the internet either. So, I saw open carry, thought to self "I'm going to explain why I don't agree with it so some knuckle heads lessen the chance of screwing up MY gun rights." And I gave my opinion... OPINION.

TOrrock
09-08-11, 18:56
People, dial the bullshit down and stop attacking each other.

TOrrock
09-08-11, 19:02
I'd also opine that openly carrying a handgun that is not loaded is not really making you any safer.

qwik48
09-08-11, 19:06
People, dial the bullshit down and stop attacking each other.

Sorry if anything I typed was interpreted as an attack. I mean no harm.

I'd also opine that openly carrying a handgun that is not loaded is not really making you any safer.

and WTF...

Lincoln7
09-08-11, 19:23
"people killed as man with holstered and visible gun (ie he was open carrying) loses his cool because he asked for NO pickles (aaaannnddd he gets pissed off loses control and hurts someone)". .

Look, they question is whether you would OC if that was the only option. You are saying 'no' because someone (you) might go bizerk for getting pickles when you didn't want them? And that puts a bad image to guns? Guns don't get mad at pickles, 'you' do. Do you think it's okay to act like a crazy person because you are carrying concealed? We all agree that carrying a firearm requires a decent amount of responsibility. I fail to see how carrying open or concealed affects the amount of craziness you are allowed to impose on people.

I also mean no attack to whom ever I quote, just trying to debate the topic effectively.

qwik48
09-08-11, 19:32
Look, they question is whether you would OC if that was the only option. You are saying 'no' because someone (you) might go bizerk for getting pickles when you didn't want them? And that puts a bad image to guns? Guns don't get mad at pickles, 'you' do. Do you think it's okay to act like a crazy person because you are carrying concealed? We all agree that carrying a firearm requires a decent amount of responsibility. I fail to see how carrying open or concealed affects the amount of craziness you are allowed to impose on people.

I also mean no attack to whom ever I quote, just trying to debate the topic effectively.

(you) are having trouble seeing so I will try again. I didn't say I was going to go ape shit on someone for putting pickles on my burger. That sentence I used is called an example. It is NOT my belief that people should be shot for putting pickles on a burger. But, in my example of a crazy person (IE not ME....) I used the word pickles in my EXAMPLE.....

Lets get back on topic here...

EDIT: to answer your other questions... no, I don't think pickles can get mad at guns or the other way around.

and I hope common sense answers the common sense one... and not pickles. pickles are bad.. I think they should be outlawed. :P

Lincoln7
09-08-11, 19:41
It is NOT my belief that people should be shot for putting pickles on a burger. But, in my example of a crazy person (IE not ME....) I used the word pickles in my EXAMPLE...

My question is: if someone shoots someone, what does it matter if it was OC or CC? Answer: It doesn't.

TOrrock
09-08-11, 19:45
and WTF...

The OP is in California. My understanding is that the only way to legally carry openly is that the firearm must be unloaded.

I don't see how carrying around an unloaded handgun openly makes the person carrying said weapon any safer than if they weren't carrying at all.

qwik48
09-08-11, 19:47
okay I'm really having trouble breaking this down to you...

so perhaps you will understand if I answer you backwards.

does it matter if someone shoots someone?: yes. shooting people over pickles is bad. but, unfortunately people get shot everyday for reasons even dumber than pickles.

does it matter if the shooter was OC or CC?: yes. it matter because as logic would tell you, if the person was open carrying he was probably legally doing it.

why does it matter if the shooter was OC'ing?: logic would tell you politicians are hungry beasts. they will use any evidence which is tangible enough to cover the argument. All a madass politician hell bent on outlawing ALL legal carry of sidearms needs is for some dude open carrying to get bent out of shape and use their sidearm to cause harm....

I am looking at this from multiple ways...

qwik48
09-08-11, 19:50
The OP is in California. My understanding is that the only way to legally carry openly is that the firearm must be unloaded.

I don't see how carrying around an unloaded handgun openly makes the person carrying said weapon any safer than if they weren't carrying at all.

wow.. yea I'd rather have a stick or pocket full of rocks in cali.

does the terminator just sign any little thing that comes across his desk?

Lincoln7
09-08-11, 19:50

VERY important information that I was not aware of. I suppose a loaded magazine on the other side is the best option. I wonder if they make a California holster that securely holds a semi-auto with the slide locked back. Then carry a firearm that will consequentially drop the slide when a mag is driven home, like the M&P. A little harder to do with only 10 rounds in the mag, I might add.

qwik48
09-08-11, 19:56
I wouldn't bet my life to knowing I had to slam charge my weapon.........

Lincoln7
09-08-11, 20:05
I wouldn't bet my life to knowing I had to slam charge my weapon.........

So your answer would to be not carry anything? Sure there are other options. I don't know Cali's stun gun or knife laws...tough one.

pilotguyo540
09-08-11, 20:06

This is correct. I also agree with the second paragraph to a large extent. I would like to run drills and test feesibility. I have an ECQC class at the end of the month. A perfect place for testing what works and what does not. Gotta love sims.

TOrrock
09-08-11, 20:12
I wish you the best of luck man.

There's absolutely no go on a concealed permit? Have a good lawyer?

pilotguyo540
09-08-11, 20:15
VERY important information that I was not aware of. I suppose a loaded magazine on the other side is the best option. I wonder if they make a California holster that securely holds a semi-auto with the slide locked back. Then carry a firearm that will consequentially drop the slide when a mag is driven home, like the M&P. A little harder to do with only 10 rounds in the mag, I might add.

We can have standard magazines and use them in any handgun (ar and ak variants the exception). We just can't manufacture, import, or sell them. I am lucky enough to have a stash that are grandfathered in

Kudos to Lincoln7 for the holster idea. I am thinking gun @ 2, magazine 1 @ 3 o'clock. Mags 2, and 3 about 8 o'clock to 9'ish.

CC is not absolutely off the table. It is very unlikely though. All of my legal funds go to battle an evil redhead with a nice ass, so a lawyer is out.

masakari
09-08-11, 20:21
I clicked yes on occasion, but only because I missed the part about only option. I am and will ALWAYS be armed, so if it were my only option, then I would always open carry.
but I just read some of the posts here... and I am astounded. You people call yourselves "pro 2A" but some of you are against open carrying? that is preposterous. It is a right just like any other, and all citizens are allowed to do it as per the constitution. It is OUR choice on how we carry a firearm, and there is absolutely zero reason why anyone can say otherwise.
I have heard the arguments against it, from the rediculous "it encourages violence!" And the lame "it looks scary" and ill ask you to please save it. The fact is that there is no valid reason why we shouldn't be allowed to OC. Infact, in the older days, the good guys open carried, and the bad guys concealed.
that said, I CC almost exclusively nowadays because it is MY preference; occasionally I OC, but that doesn't matter. I also don't drive a Chevy, so should they be banned?
OP: if it is your only option, and you MUST stay in that country, then I say do it if you desire. Note: a Serpa holster will hold a pistol with the slide locked to the rear.

PA PATRIOT
09-08-11, 21:34
I voted "No" with the only exception being on a large farm or while camping/hiking in the deep woods. With that said in Philadelphia O/C is illegal unless the person has a CWP. So most Philly Police would stop anyone O/C'ing to see if they possess a valid CWP and if everything checks out the person would be free to go in short order.

In todays world many concerned citizens are a bit nervous as the 9-11 anniversary approaches O/C'ing persons should expect police encounters anywhere near malls, schools and other crowded areas.

qwik48
09-08-11, 21:35
sucks about California... they are their own little world. so the only people walking around in public with sidearms are LE or Fed? NO exceptions? What about professional private private security? Hire yourself as your own bodyguard or declare to the state that you are high-risk? I'm certain their should be some loophole..

just because some one is against open carry doesn't mean they are against the 2nd amendment.. That is a highly opinionated non-factual statement.

if you would rather carry concealed, why? because it draws less attention? less chance of a boggy snatching your weapon? because Lord knows a concealed weapon is always going to be slower to draw than a openly holstered one (even if its by a fraction of a second... but fractions are hours on a two way range) so convenience certainly isn't a factor.

I fundamentally hate the fact open carry has drawn the stigma that it has. It says a lot about how our society has changed. you make a good point masakari.. yes the bad guy did carry concealed. THAT hasn't changed. what has changed is how the good guys carry and on a deeper level how society views HOW the good guy carries... It goes to show how much less trusting and ignorant society is on a whole. However, I don't see this changing... and I don't see open carry as a way to accelerate this change unless its done on a tremendous scale (as in everyone who carries) and have a NATIONAL carry day... thereby boycotting all reservations for a lawful existence. I would endorse the effort who heatedly (because of how I interpret the 2nd amendment)... But, I don't see the voice or progressive (or perhaps regressive depending on how you see it...) action to make it common law. Fact is, society IS progressive... maybe not on an even scale... but this is how laws and amendments are created. Until people make enough fuss and stink about it, it ain't gonna change how society on a whole views it. I think with the option to carry concealed you shouldn't worry about open carry.... especially if your State gives you a license to do so should be seen as the right way to carry. Out of sight out of mind. I think the right to open carry gets used incorrectly way to many times by people who just want the world to know they have that particular right...

Complacency is dangerous thing....

masakari
09-08-11, 21:57
I voted "No" with the only exception being on a large farm or while camping/hiking in the deep woods. With that said in Philadelphia O/C is illegal unless the person has a CWP. So most Philly Police would stop anyone O/C'ing to see if they possess a valid CWP and if everything checks out the person would be free to go in short order.

In todays world many concerned citizens are a bit nervous as the 9-11 anniversary approaches O/C'ing persons should expect police encounters anywhere near malls, schools and other crowded areas.

You should probably refer to the training REQUIRED by your department... as with other officers on your force, you don't have any familiarity with Pennsylvania law.
a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF) is required only to conceal carry statewide, open carry in a city of the first class (Philadelphia), or to carry in a vehicle HOWEVER open carry is NOT acceptable as reasonable suspicion, and therefore it is ILLEGAL to stop an open carrier solely on that. They must provide reason to believe that a crime has been committed.
criminals and terrorists don't open carry in nice leather holsters. That's an invalid argument.

Gun
09-09-11, 04:23
...So most Philly Police would stop anyone O/C'ing to see if they possess a valid CWP and if everything checks out the person would be free to go in short order.

Maybe you should google Mark Fiorino, and check out how that encounter went with the PPD.

Combat_Diver
09-09-11, 05:43
Before KY was a shall issue CCW, it was open carry only. I carried for nearly a decade there around Ft Campbell openly. Only had the LEOs called on me once, inside WalMart across the stateline from Ohio. LEOs responded and wished me a good day. During the last decade of being mostly down range my KY CCW expired and I live in NC now. Can OC here also, which I do at times. Will apply for my CCW in NC this time around.

CD

pilotguyo540
09-09-11, 10:24
http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/09/california-senate-open-carry-handguns-assembly-bill-144.html

Looks like open carry will soon be off the table as well.

This may (should) open the door to shall issue. We will see.

Templar, that lawyer may have to become a priority.

masakari
09-09-11, 10:33
I HIGHLY doubt that Kalifornia will ever be shall issue. That's a pipe dream, sir.

pilotguyo540
09-09-11, 10:40
I HIGHLY doubt that Kalifornia will ever be shall issue. That's a pipe dream, sir.

In a court case on this very subject, the judge ruled that because we are able to OC, conceal carry does not have to be "shall issuue."

Just food for thought.

Lincoln7
09-09-11, 10:53
In a court case on this very subject, the judge ruled that because we are able to OC, conceal carry does not have to be "shall issuue."

I remember that ruling. This may be the only grounds available to pass a shall issue law, however slim...

pilotguyo540
09-09-11, 11:00
I remember that ruling. This may be the only grounds available to pass a shall issue law, however slim...

I think they may be politically cornered. I hope they are anyways. Worth the fight.

JDest
09-10-11, 05:50
I'd be interested to read what the judge had to say on that ruling.

Backstop
09-10-11, 07:57

My vote: yes, always, vote #83

TOrrock
09-18-11, 15:47
It's looking like California is going to ban openly carrying a handgun, loaded or unloaded.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-guns-20110917,0,6149742.story

warpigM-4
09-18-11, 16:02
After the tornado's Ripped through Alabama My Cousins neighborhood was destroyed .
everybody there was Open carrying although Alabama is a CCW state the Police had No Problem with it and on One day several Citizens helped a Lone Sheriff arrest some thugs stealing the downed power lines and transformers .
I have seen many people Including myself Have a Sidearm with just a t shirt over it and LE Never Bats a eye at you .But I would rather Not let people Know I am carrying .But if you have the right to OC then it is solely Up to You but for Me it is a NO Go .But I don't have a Problem if someone wants to OC

230therapy
09-18-11, 16:23
My rule is: Open carry when I can, concealed carry when I can't or won't.

PdxMotoxer
09-18-11, 22:28
I live in oregon (oreygun to sum.. lol) and i've seen a person open carry at a grocery store once in like 42 years and didn't think anything of it only hope he has one of those sepra or locking holsters so while
reach for the top self items no one grabs his weapon.

Other than that i was going to say the only times i have is while hunting and carrying a deer rifle, or going shooting in the woods (something about going to re-set up your targets and having a tailgate
with guns and ammo behind you that makes me want a loaded one at all times.)

But when we fished in AK i had a rented Judge on my side and my buddy had a S&W 500 on his. (there was a tense time when a grizzly
walked slowly by us that i put my hand on it but damn glad i had it
after seeing the size of him and those claws!! to be honest that was as much fun as the fishing that day..lol)

But yes i think there are times to open carry but inside the city or playing at the park isn't one of those.

ViperGTS19801
09-20-11, 13:46
I always carry openly, unless there is a very important reason not to. :)

munch520
09-20-11, 13:57
Depends on where I am, most of the time I like to see and not be seen....just blend in. That means, yes even in Ohio, I carry concealed.

That said, I prefer OC and do so at all times when at our farm.