PDA

View Full Version : CAR Stock needed for early M4.

decodeddiesel
09-03-11, 22:51
OK this shouldn't be as hard as it is, but I am having no luck. Can anyone point me to where I could purchase a CAR 4-position stock? A Colt would be preferred, but off brands are acceptable as well.

I am setting out to build a very accurate replica of the early Colt M4 I carried during my 2 tours in Iraq. I know it may not be a true retro, but it will be a true replica of what I used in war. I will not be using anything that was not as issued on my carbine. Carrying handle, CAR Stock, A2 grip, M4 RAS, M68 (Comp M2) in an Aimpoint mount, Surefire M951, Matech BUIS, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

ETA: I am not talking about the "waffle" Colt M4 stock.

amd5007
09-03-11, 23:29
M&A parts sells a good CAR stock replica. Or better still you can contact Dennis Todd and get a genuine Colt CAR stock.

decodeddiesel
09-04-11, 00:43
Thanks for the tip. Here is the stock you mentioned:

http://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1072

I also found at Brownells, Colt PN:SP12012081. Is this the stock I am looking for?

Bowser
09-04-11, 06:42
If the drawing is a correct representation of the part number, then I am going to have to pick up one of these myself.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=809/schematicsdetail/AR_15_Sliding_Buttstock_Assembly

amd5007
09-04-11, 07:56
Thanks for the tip. Here is the stock you mentioned:

http://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1072

I also found at Brownells, Colt PN:SP12012081. Is this the stock I am looking for?

No this is not the correct stock. I contacted Brownells about this a few weeks ago, and they said it is the new M4 stock, even though the drawing is that of the CAR stock.

Like I said, if you want a true Colt stock contact Dennis Todd. I can pm you his contact info if you like. He told me that when Colt switched to the new design, he bought out what he could of the CAR stocks and has been selling them over the years. When I spoke to him three weeks ago, he only had a dozen or so left of the genuine Colt stocks.

Buck
09-04-11, 10:38
Check your PMs...

S/F

B

decodeddiesel
09-04-11, 11:29
Check your PMs...

S/F

B

Thanks for the PM Buck, I will check it out.

decodeddiesel
09-04-11, 11:29
No this is not the correct stock. I contacted Brownells about this a few weeks ago, and they said it is the new M4 stock, even though the drawing is that of the CAR stock.

Like I said, if you want a true Colt stock contact Dennis Todd. I can pm you his contact info if you like. He told me that when Colt switched to the new design, he bought out what he could of the CAR stocks and has been selling them over the years. When I spoke to him three weeks ago, he only had a dozen or so left of the genuine Colt stocks.

If you could, please send it over.

warpigM-4
09-04-11, 12:03

I believe I bought one from Him a few years Back .it is the real deal Has the "N" Mark under the Catch lever correct H buffer .I carried the early M4 at Ft Knox and that is what I built , I used a Pinned 14.5 Barrel but plan on SBRing It. Good luck on your build !!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/012.jpg

Cobra66
09-04-11, 12:05
Disregard

ccosby
09-04-11, 12:07
http://essentialarms.com sells the older style stocks as well.

SOWT
09-04-11, 20:37
I may have one. Will check my parts box on tuesday (it may be a commercial vice mil standard stock).

scottryan
09-05-11, 00:12
Some Colt stocks are not N marked.

a1fabweld
09-05-11, 13:35
I've got one I'll let go pretty cheap if you need one Diesel. It's from an old school Bushmaster Commando type A2 rifle I had a while back. The tube & stock are aluminum. The tube is 2 position only though. Send me a PM if you're interested.

scottryan
09-06-11, 16:31
Please stop offering cheap aftermarket stocks from the 1980s for sale to the OP. He doesn't want them. I will edit your post out if this continues. Thanks.

scottryan
09-06-11, 16:38
I take it that the OP is trying to build an M4 from around 2000 production.

He would need

A Colt 4 position buffer tube.
A Colt N 1 marked stock
A Colt H buffer
A Colt new style castle nut
Colt endplate
Colt silver recoil spring, as opposed to a bronze colored one.

amd5007
09-06-11, 17:03

He would need

A Colt N 1 marked stock
A Colt H buffer
Colt endplate

scottryan, I don't mean to take this off topic, but different colored action springs? What is the difference between the silver and bronze colors? This is the first time I've heard anything about it.

a1fabweld
09-06-11, 20:18
Please stop offering cheap aftermarket stocks from the 1980s for sale to the OP. He doesn't want them. I will edit your post out if this continues. Thanks.

WTF???

Please say on topic

scottryan
09-06-11, 20:36
scottryan, I don't mean to take this off topic, but different colored action springs? What is the difference between the silver and bronze colors? This is the first time I've heard anything about it.

Most earlier Colts have a bronze colored spring which would not be correct for the time frame of the OPs gun. This is something I have noticed over the years with several examples.

I don't know if there is a difference in the springs.

a1fabweld
09-06-11, 22:31
I don't get it Scott. The OP asked for a CAR stock, "Off brands are acceptable as well", I offer mine, & you check me for being off topic? What am I missing? What's off topic about it?

decodeddiesel
09-06-11, 22:53

He would need

A Colt N 1 marked stock
A Colt H buffer
Colt endplate

This is correct. I was first issued it in 2002, and had it until 2006. I can PM you the SN of the weapon if it would be of any importance.

I am sorry to start any sort of controversy over the wording of my post, and in retrospect I should have been more clear.

I really REALLY want to keep the gun all Colt. However, if it just isn't going to happen it just isn't going to happen. I am already pissed that for reasons beyond the scope of this thread the lower will have to be non-Colt.

I have been shopping for a 6921 Upper to which a KAC Flashhider/suppressor mount will be attached with a spacer to bring it to 16.1".

ETA: I already have on hand-

Matech BUIS
KAC RAS Kit, Complete
Surefire M951
Aimpoint Comp-M2 (M68) with the Aimpoint Mount
LRB Lower (fairly close to a Colt in shape...well it was a gift anyway)
Colt complete LPK including A2 grip
Colt 4-POS RE

Oh and when it is done it will be krylon'd out, just like my M4 was.

scottryan
09-07-11, 08:28
I don't get it Scott. The OP asked for a CAR stock, "Off brands are acceptable as well", I offer mine, & you check me for being off topic? What am I missing? What's off topic about it?

The forums are not a dumping ground for cheap aftermarket stuff. This stuff needs to be dealt with over PM or the EE. My post in red was not directed specifically at you. Thank you for your understanding.

scottryan
09-07-11, 08:29
This is correct. I was first issued it in 2002, and had it until 2006. I can PM you the SN of the weapon if it would be of any importance.

I am sorry to start any sort of controversy over the wording of my post, and in retrospect I should have been more clear.

I really REALLY want to keep the gun all Colt. However, if it just isn't going to happen it just isn't going to happen. I am already pissed that for reasons beyond the scope of this thread the lower will have to be non-Colt.

I have been shopping for a 6921 Upper to which a KAC Flashhider/suppressor mount will be attached with a spacer to bring it to 16.1".

ETA: I already have on hand-

Matech BUIS
KAC RAS Kit, Complete
Surefire M951
Aimpoint Comp-M2 (M68) with the Aimpoint Mount
LRB Lower (fairly close to a Colt in shape...well it was a gift anyway)
Colt complete LPK including A2 grip
Colt 4-POS RE

Oh and when it is done it will be krylon'd out, just like my M4 was.

Do you have any pictures of it?

Azpilot
09-07-11, 09:53
PM sent...I believe I've got what you need. Colt N1 marked stock, 4 position buffer tube, and silver spring. Buffer is MIA, and youd still need castle nut and endplate.

This was purchased direct from a Colt dealer years ago, for a 9mm build that never happened (bought a 6450 instead)

Doc Safari
09-07-11, 10:43
I have a question:

If I found just the stock somewhere, will it not fit and work with a modern 6-position extension tube?

Belmont31R
09-07-11, 10:48
I have a question:

If I found just the stock somewhere, will it not fit and work with a modern 6-position extension tube?

The CAR stock will work with a 6 pos tube.

ETA: Mil spec RE not commercial.

decodeddiesel
09-07-11, 15:41
PM sent...I believe I've got what you need. Colt N1 marked stock, 4 position buffer tube, and silver spring. Buffer is MIA, and youd still need castle nut and endplate.

This was purchased direct from a Colt dealer years ago, for a 9mm build that never happened (bought a 6450 instead)

PM sent...

decodeddiesel
09-07-11, 21:19
Do you have any pictures of it?

Sort of...but not many great ones showing a lot of detail of the carbine.

scottryan
09-08-11, 08:20
Just post it anyway.

g5m
09-09-11, 11:34
You might look at this:

http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/BUTTSTOCK_KIT_M4_M4A1_COLT_EARLY_DISCONTINUED_COMPLETE-107-4.html

Belmont31R
09-09-11, 12:10
You might look at this:

http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/BUTTSTOCK_KIT_M4_M4A1_COLT_EARLY_DISCONTINUED_COMPLETE-107-4.html

Really expensive for what you get.

Lost River
09-09-11, 14:49
PM inbound for ya

Lost River
09-09-11, 14:57
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/012.jpg[/IMG]

What are these older Colt buttstocks going for these days?

warpigM-4
09-17-11, 09:50
Not sure about todays market I got this in 06 for 125.00 it came with the 4 position tube ,Silver spring and H buffer and end plate and Newer Castle Nut Sealed in a Bag with the Colt SKU on it .

Scott I didnt Know some was not Marked with the "N" what other marking are On there??

OP :if you are wanting a Colt Lower to make it all Colt . Grant Is selling the New Sporter M4 carbine marked(SP6920) Stripped Lowers for 250.00
I just Got One ,since you already have a Colt LPK you would be set the Lower I have Now is One off a MT 6400 but it has the Large hole FCG .I was very happy G&R became a Colt distributor So I got one with the standard FCG Pin size.

scottryan
09-18-11, 11:39
Not sure about todays market I got this in 06 for 125.00 it came with the 4 position tube ,Silver spring and H buffer and end plate and Newer Castle Nut Sealed in a Bag with the Colt SKU on it .

Scott I didnt Know some was not Marked with the "N" what other marking are On there??

OP :if you are wanting a Colt Lower to make it all Colt . Grant Is selling the New Sporter M4 carbine marked(SP6920) Stripped Lowers for 250.00
I just Got One ,since you already have a Colt LPK you would be set the Lower I have Now is One off a MT 6400 but it has the Large hole FCG .I was very happy G&R became a Colt distributor So I got one with the standard FCG Pin size.

Most Colt stocks made before 1993 or so don't have the N 1 markings. They also don't have the white molding swirl around the latch area and are more black in color.

warpigM-4
09-18-11, 12:02
Most Colt stocks made before 1993 or so don't have the N 1 markings. They also don't have the white molding swirl around the latch area and are more black in color.

Thank you good to Know every little Bit of info helps out .

usmcvet
10-23-11, 19:53
Did you find what you were looking for? I bought an N marked stock from another member here a few months ago. If you're still looking try posting a WTB add here on the EE. Good luck with your build. I look forward to the photos .

f.2
10-24-11, 10:48
disregard...

DocBach
02-23-12, 20:06
A bit late to the party, but can anybody pass on Dennis Todd's info? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6920 CA and want an old CAR style stock for it.

usmcvet
02-24-12, 07:12
A bit late to the party, but can anybody pass on Dennis Todd's info? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6920 CA and want an old CAR style stock for it.

Doc

PM me I never did anything with mine.

usmcvet
03-21-12, 18:27
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/012.jpg[/IMG]

What are these older Colt buttstocks going for these days?

I sold one for $50 shipped a few days ago. There is one for sale now on tos for $40 shipped.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_119/975130_WTS___Retro_CAR_Stock____40___shipping.html

usmcvet
03-28-12, 15:25
Good pricing here if ya need one

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_119/977627_WTS__Used_Colt_1N_Fiberlite_CAR_stocks_milspec_USGI.html

usmcvet
06-11-12, 17:19
Here is an N Colt stock for sale here on the EE and an A1 pistol grip, both prices look fair to me.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=107087

fowler
06-23-12, 08:14
. I found one from Highpoweredarmory 330-503-2298. Paul fixed me up with a very nice retro XM177 copy using his parts and expertise. I am very pleased with the rifle and flash moderater that really sounds like a plain 16" AR carbine. The other moderaters like bushmaster,Brick,Model one sales are loud with a big ball of fire. The stock was perfect and well made to. The Wilson barrel is accurate and chrome lined to.

Split66
07-26-12, 19:02
I'm still on the hunt for a Colt CAR stock as well. If anyone still has Dennis Todd's info please PM me.

fowler
07-28-12, 07:05
http://www.tonyscustomuppers.com/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=78

fowler
08-17-12, 07:33
Was at the flea market this last week and found a fiberite Colt stock in like new shape for $5. Put it on my 727 clone's mill=spec tube. Thay can show up out of no where. Keep a eye peeled,my wife spotted it and said is that one of those ar things you are looking for?

bodhisattva
11-10-12, 19:45
Does anyone know if Mr. Dennis Todd still has any stocks left? If they would be so kind to PM me his contact info, I'd be much obliged.