PDA

View Full Version : DD Lite Rail, torque specs?

An Undocumented Worker
09-04-11, 07:41
Is there any particular torque spec for the bolts that clamp the rail to the barrel nut? and is there supposed to be any gap between the two halves of the clamp where the bolts go through, or are the two halves supposed to be touching each other?

Col_Crocs
09-04-11, 08:07
Did your rail not come with a manual? I tried doing a search for a PDF file but it didnt turn up anything.
My RIS II manual indicates 29-32in/lbs, though. You could probably go by that.

An Undocumented Worker
09-04-11, 09:02
It came as a complete upper. So no manual, and DD doesn't have any available for download on their website.

jayfl
09-04-11, 09:13
My instruction sheet calls for 50 foot-pounds.

Iraqgunz
09-04-11, 09:32
THis should answer all your questions.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=DD+Lite+Rail+installation

Hmac
09-04-11, 09:40
My instruction sheet calls for 50 foot-pounds.

50 ft-lbs is the torque on the barrel nut to secure the barrel to the receiver. The torque spec on the hex-head set screws that secure the rail to the barrel nut collar is 30 inch-lbs.

An Undocumented Worker
09-04-11, 10:58
THis should answer all your questions.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=DD+Lite+Rail+installation

amd5007
09-04-11, 11:05
All the usual suspects, on that search do not specifically answer the questions I posed.

Ok from the DD TM-RIS II, Model RIS II M4A1 FSP, NSN 1005-01-566-5280, REV B, issued 16 FEB 2010... section 2.3.12: "Torque all six (6) Bolt Up Screws to 29-32 in/lbs. Torque center screws first, torque upper screws second, and torque lower screws third."

An Undocumented Worker
09-04-11, 11:08
Ok from the DD TM-RIS II, Model RIS II M4A1 FSP, NSN 1005-01-566-5280, REV B, issued 16 FEB 2010... section 2.3.12: "Torque all six (6) Bolt Up Screws to 29-32 in/lbs. Torque center screws first, torque upper screws second, and torque lower screws third."

Thankyou, that provided more usefull info than the weapon evolution install guide.

jayfl
09-04-11, 11:35
50 ft-lbs is the torque on the barrel nut to secure the barrel to the receiver. The torque spec on the hex-head set screws that secure the rail to the barrel nut collar is 30 inch-lbs.

Yeah, I spaced on that one. :suicide2:

I don't think the instruction sheet even mentions the bolt torque other than the usual "hand tighten" bit.

Iraqgunz
09-04-11, 11:46
The reason I posted that link, is because in addition to giving the correct values, it also has some pictures and almost is step by step. Some people are visual type learners. What information wasn't covered? Not only did it list the values, it also showed a detailed pic of what the proper installation should look like.

Thankyou, that provided more usefull info than the weapon evolution install guide.

An Undocumented Worker
09-04-11, 12:30
To be honest, I had read that installation guide previously and wanted feedback from other sources, I did however forget that it provided the torque specs.
Secondly the info posted from the RIS 2 manual by AMD5007, provided the actual recomended tightening patternfor the bolts, info that was not touched on by that online installation guide by weapon evolution.

I will say that on my DD lite rail, with everything torqued to the correct specs, the two parts of the clamp do contact each other where the bolts go through. Nothing has come loose or has shown signs of it. If that ever becomes an issue I have no doubt DD would take care of it, but feedback from other people with the same setup would be nice to know. While looking at the design of the clamp collars it appears that DD designed them in a manner to allow for various tollerances in parts yet prevent anything from getting damaged by a gorilla doing the install.:cool:

On a related note, for those of you who would like to actually use a torque wrench/driver to achieve the correct torque on the fasteners. I had to end up making a ball ended 5/32nds quarter inch drive allen socket to reach all of the bolts and not risk scratching anything up.

To do this I went to sears and bought a 5/32nds quarter inch drive six point socket, and a 5/32nds ball ended allen key and cut the elbow off of the key and superglued the modified key into the socket.
This was necessary because none of the standard retailers that sell tools had any ball ended allen bits or sockets.

Hmac
09-04-11, 17:08
On a related note, for those of you who would like to actually use a torque wrench/driver to achieve the correct torque on the fasteners. I had to end up making a ball ended 5/32nds quarter inch drive allen socket to reach all of the bolts and not risk scratching anything up.

To do this I went to sears and bought a 5/32nds quarter inch drive six point socket, and a 5/32nds ball ended allen key and cut the elbow off of the key and superglued the modified key into the socket.
This was necessary because none of the standard retailers that sell tools had any ball ended allen bits or sockets.

Wow. That's a lot of work. It makes me embarrassed to say that I just racked 'em down until they felt "about right".

An Undocumented Worker
09-04-11, 17:15
Wow. That's a lot of work. It makes me embarrassed to say that I just racked 'em down until they felt "about right".

That's what I did originally when realigning the rail a few months back. But I wanted to make sure it was done right, seeing that I had all the other tools I need cept the ball ended allen bit, I decide to make one. Working as a mechanic you find creativity with tools is a necessity at times.