PDA

View Full Version : Quick detach rings?

J-Dub
09-04-11, 10:32
Does anyone use quick detach rings (like leupold's...http://swfa.com/Leupold-QRW-30mm-Rings-P1070.aspx )

on an AR? Are they high enough? I've used an ADM recon mount, but i'm just curious if they would work.

(they would be used with a 1-4x scope)

shootist~
09-04-11, 22:39
Those won't be high enough for an A/R and most likely won't get you enough forward eye relief either.

I have a set of Low QRWs on a FAL and they have held up well. I would be a little leary if that rifle was meant for anything other than range and 3-Gun use, however.

nimdabew
09-04-11, 23:31
The problem with QD rings instead of a one piece scout mount is running into eye relief issues and also having enough rail on the receiver to put the rings on either side of the turrets. If you have a free float rail (non-monolithic) then you have the unique opportunity of fauxing your scope by torquing the scope tube when clamping the rings down because the free float rail and receiver rail aren't exactly the same (eye balling it or even using a level doesnt count, it still won't be on the same plane). Disregard if you have a single, monolithic rail platform (LMT MRP or similar) to put the rings on. It will save on weight, but for standard AR's, the scout mounts are the way to go.

[/nimdabew]