PDA

View Full Version : Field/Survival/Bush/Whatever Knife

K.L. Davis
09-04-11, 13:05
What is your favorite field/bush knife? Call it a survival knife if you want... but regardless of price or availability, with no thought to CDI points, potential product placement royalties in your new TV series, or the unlikely circumstance of hand-to-hand combat with zombies - if you are going off the grid and can only have one knife with you, what is that knife?

Thanks!

hatidua
09-04-11, 14:45
Sturdy large folder for me. -I quit Facebook, no plans of reactivating account.

LHS
09-06-11, 01:46
Also not on the Facebook as of yet, but here goes:

I carry two: a Leatherman Wave, and an old Spec-Plus bolo knife. Between the two, you can do just about anything.

HES
09-06-11, 09:12
Just posted. For me it would be a simple K-BAR.

Bad Medicine
09-06-11, 09:27
Chris Reeves-Green Beret and my Leatherman Wave, I also have a boker fold out that my wife gave me.

sgtjosh
09-06-11, 12:41
Cold Steel Recon Tanto...

91Bravo
09-06-11, 13:04
I vote for a Leatherman Wave unless you're expecting to have to kill people. Then I don't know.

ra2bach
09-07-11, 15:39
for me it's a system rather than one knife. my EDC is 3.5" folder kept very sharp. I don't use it to open boxes, I use the Leatherman for that.

for outdoors stuff, I prefer a fixed blade for everything and find 4-5" to be the most useful (cutting rope/small sticks, preparing meals, etc.) a knife I really like is the Moraknife, or my favorite - my Blackjack Trailguide.

If carrying a pack, I add a small hatchet (gerber/fiskars) for firewood, trail maintenance, etc... I also carry a small 2-blade Case pocket folder kept scalpel sharp for, you know, scalpel like shit...

If I'm just hiking without a pack, I go up on the fixed blade to like 6-7" and carry my EDC folder and the Case.

K.L. Davis
09-08-11, 10:53
Good stuff so far... but lock onto the "one knife" thing... one knife... only one knife.

We all know that only one knife is not the perfect solution, but there is a method to my madness. Sort of...

LHS
09-08-11, 10:55
In that case, I'd go with the larger of my two knives. You can often do little knife work with a big knife, but the reverse isn't often true.

Bad Medicine
09-08-11, 11:09
Then Chris Reeves - Green Beret

DTHN2LGS
09-08-11, 12:26
Randall Model 18 - 7 1/2".

DemonRat
09-08-11, 13:43
My knife is not a tactical knife just a good ol' buck knife my dad gave me. A 119 special. It has served me for the past 20 yrs and still holds a good edge. I use it for all my hunting and fishing needs. It has been a good all around knife and has never failed me when I have needed to use it. It has a 6" 420hc stainless steel blade came with a leather sheath and only weighs 7.5 oz.If I have it when my son is old enough he will get it.My grandfather bought this knife new and gave it to my dad when I was born so it has seen its share of fish and deer. It's a really good knife IMHO.

Armati
09-08-11, 21:50
Hmm, tough one. Off the top of my head - the Kabar Mark 1, RAT 3 or RAT 7, or the Cold Steel Bushman.

K.L. Davis
09-08-11, 23:51
I started doing something interesting a year or so ago... I limited myself to one knife. I started out by laying out a bunch of steel that I had collected, and would pick one blade and carry and use ONLY that knife for a few days, maybe a week... I mean use only that knife, cooking, opening boxes, in the field; I would not let myself use another knife unless what I was doing was just stupid dangerous without another blade.

I have a bunch of knives, I get new ones sent to me and I am always on the hunt for a knife deal - after about 80 weeks of limiting myself to just one knife... the collection that I pick from is rather small, and most all of the knives have a lot in common.

I thought it was intresting to see how practical application seems to thin the lot down quickly - about the time I started this little experiment, I was talking to Ethan Becker and he made a comment about knife designs that were made for people that "need a knife".

It is very clear what he was talking about...

ra2bach
09-09-11, 01:24
Good stuff so far... but lock onto the "one knife" thing... one knife... only one knife.

We all know that only one knife is not the perfect solution, but there is a method to my madness. Sort of...

ah right, I missed that...

well my usual opinion is 4-5" is perfect for almost everything - I lo-o-o-o-ve my Blackjack Trailguide because of the depthe of the blade and I can ride up on the blade in a pinch grip - but I'm not sure of the durability of the handle as it uses a threaded pommel instead of a full length tang. it's more of a hunting or camp knife and if I take it with me I always have a small hatchet as well.

for a more rough and ready field or bushcraft knife, I take my Falkniven S1 which is a 5" blade, VG-10 steel, convex ground. I believe I could escape from a sealed 55-gallond drum with this thing...

but for a "survival" situation, where I might have to ask it do all things, even though some of them not quite as well (like food prep and more delicate tasks) I would probably think 6-7" is more like what I need.

I don't like to talk about things I don't have, but right now, I would probably choose the 6.3" Falkniven A1 after seeing a friend's. funny, but handling that knife lead me to get the 5" S1, which I still maintain is a better knife for "almost" everything...

mkmckinley
09-10-11, 03:16
One knife? Probably my Busse SAR 4.

Off the grid survival on foot in real life? Leatherman, SAR 4, GB hatchet, Hinderer XM-18 and a small folding saw. I'd also bring a medium grit DMT sharpener.

jdgiii
09-10-11, 03:25
Love my Ontaro Rat 3 for general camping/hiking/fishing hunting use. Handy size for most purposes. But if I could only have one knife it would be my RAT 5 or the USMC marked Camillus KABAR I bought at a yard sale around 1979 for 2.50.

Zach
09-11-11, 05:58
My Strider CMFK CPM 3V.

http://www.monkeyedge.com/Strider_Knives_Fixed_CMFK_p/sk0685-mz232.htm

Suwannee Tim
09-11-11, 09:31
I'm not into knives so for me, it's a plain, simple, cheap Buck Skinner. (http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3039) Maybe one day I'll be educated on the value of a more expensive knife.

RogerinTPA
09-11-11, 11:15
Grayman Defender hands down. I think most, if not all of his knives would be worth it.

http://graymanknives.com/defender.html

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/RogerTPA/GreymanDefender.jpg

Irish
09-11-11, 12:27
I really like the looks of the Hogue EX-F01 on your FB page. I have limited knowledge of fixed blades and am in the process of doing research now in order to spend my money the best way possible the first time around. I'm hoping that this thread will be a great resource.

The ESEE knives look like a winner and come widely recommended and the Fallkniven knives mentioned earlier get great reviews on the net as well. The only thing I'd be worried about with the F1 is the sharpening as I'm not familiar with the type of edge it has and it sounds like it might be rather time consuming to keep an edge on it.

The Chris Reeve Green Beret looks like a really nice knife as well but definitely comes with a hefty price tag, as do all his knives. The Nyala looks like a good all around knife but probably wouldn't be the best at cutting branches for shelters and fire.

Anyhow, subscribed to learn more and help narrow down my options.

misanthropist
09-11-11, 15:51
Well, as I commented on your Dark Mountian's facebook, for me it's the Bark River Aurora. That is because what I really prefer is something like a Mora - about 4-4.5 inches long, simple grind, no recurve.

The changes I would make to a Mora are simple: spear point rather than a straight spine to make boring holes a little easier and to put the point more on the centerline of the knife, which I find makes indexing the tip a little more instinctive; make the handle just a little more protectively shaped to discourage your hand from slipping forward onto the knife; blade could be a little sturdier than a Mora's; and the scandi grind is fine but a convex is really better IMO as well.

That's pretty much an exact description of the Aurora, which is why I bought one.

rkba01
09-15-11, 15:16
I would take Doug Ritter's MK3. Fixed blade with a nice balance between weight, size, and functionality. It can't do all, but it can do most.

http://www.dougritter.com/dr_rsk_mk3.htm

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae234/rkba01/DSC02393Medium.jpg

Irish
09-15-11, 17:32
Kino - What's your thoughts on knives currently? Do you have a favorite do all?

I would take Doug Ritter's MK3. Fixed blade with a nice balance between weight, size, and functionality. It can't do all, but it can do most.

http://www.dougritter.com/dr_rsk_mk3.htm

That's a nice looking knife. Hadn't seen that one before.

Norseman
09-15-11, 18:21
Hmmmmm, just one would be tough, but for me it would prob. be my daily carry, ZT 301, small enough to do most small things pretty well, and large enough to do some large things well and pretty stout to boot.

K.L. Davis
09-16-11, 16:45
Kino - What's your thoughts on knives currently? Do you have a favorite do all?
No real do-all, maybe a do-most-everything though...

I carry three knives... a big knife, that is usually a cut down or short bladed machete. Not a lot of money in this, it is a chopper not much more; also a multi-blade folder or muli-tool, seems that I always keep going back to a SAK here, and the One Hand Trekker is my favorite; finally is the do-nearly-all blade that takes care of about 90% of tasks at hand.

Looking at the box of knives that I have to pick from, there is an underlying style that I seem to prefer, these include knives that tend to look like blades from ESEE, the Fallkniven F1, Cold Steel Master and Pendleton Hunter, BK&T blades, Dozier, DPx HEST and other blades from Landi, Bark River, Condor TK, Blind Horse and I am eyeing the work of Ray Ennis, Doug Ritter and our own B Goode.

Of course I am missing a lot of good knives from that list... I will add to my personal list to be sure.

The politics and divisiveness in the knife world is worse than that of the gun world, and I don't get all caught up in knives that are different just for the sake of being different. I tend believe that a quality piece of any one of several types of steel - when properly heat treated - will make a good blade, each has advantages and disadvantages.

Uber materials are something to look at for handle selection...

What I look for is a knife with a full sized handle, about a 4" blade, an understated drop-point, deep belly and no serrations or recurve to the edge - but that is just me.

What I have found out is that handles that feel amazing to grip in one hold, will be uncomfortable in other holds... versatility is key to me here, take a look at the knives used by folks that have been carrying a working blade as part of their culture for the last 600 years.

Keep in mind that the best warranty in the world means exactly jack shit if you can not take advantage of it.

You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get more than you pay for - that said, high cost does not equal high quality.

I have never heard anyone say "Wow, I am surprised this guy died... he has a really cool looking knife".

I guess this is pretty much like buying a handgun... figure out how much you want/can spend; make a list of viable knives, based on the choice of people you trust to know what they are doing (your ESEE and F1 is a great start!); figure out which ones on this list will do what you need and you feel comfortable with; buy that knife... plan on buying more after that.

K.L. Davis
09-16-11, 23:21
Here's an idea... you may notice that a lot of folks tend towards a "mora style" knife, they are great knives and everyone needs to own one or two.

The also can be picked up for very little scratch... head over to Amazon or wherever and check out the Mora, or one knife I have like a half dozen of is the Cold Steel Pendleton Lite - you can get one of these delivered for well under 20 bucks, and they any of them are good knives.

So once you get it, start using it... and I mean use it for everything, you will figure out soon enough what you would like different about it (if anything)... you get to judge blade size and shape, the grip design and just how well it does some things, and not others.

For 20 bucks, you get to do some hands on learning... and you have a great little knife to throw in the junk drawer - or just keep with you, who knows.

NWPilgrim
09-17-11, 00:49
My favorite "one only knife" would be my Buck Vanguard.
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=2925

http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/buck/images/692bkw.jpg

It has about a 4" blade so it is handy for skinning, carving, cutting chores, etc and is compact on the belt. It is not big enough for chopping or clearing brush, but I found even my KBar is not either. Really need a kukri or machete style tool for chopping. So the Vanguard does everything short of chopping well.

I like the Mora even more for camp chores like cooking and light cutting jobs, but the blade is not strong enough to for me as an all-around knife.

sewvacman
09-17-11, 11:03
Randall model 27 is in my BOB. Simple effective design, good for just about everything(fighting, skinning, eating). I just saw the new price tag on one though and I would have to pick a similar design from someone else who was know for quality as well. IMO It's worth the $250 I paid for it, $425 is getting into a different realm and I'm not there.

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.php?action=modeldetail&id=22

docsherm
09-18-11, 07:01
My main tools are:
- Leatherman Super Tool that I have had for about 12 years.
- Buck-Strider folder w/ serrations
- A Strider DB-L NSN that I have on my kit (one of the best knives that I have ever owned)

I also have a Busse ASH-1that I have strapped to my go bag. It is a monster for chopping. It cost more then I wanted to spend but it is a great knife and will take a beating.

mdauben
09-18-11, 08:15
I'd probably go with something like the ESEE 4. Its a quality, well made knife, I find the drop point a great general purpose design and I find 4-5 inches to be about the perfect size for a do-everything outdoors knife.

LHS
09-18-11, 22:47
Grayman Defender hands down. I think most, if not all of his knives would be worth it.

http://graymanknives.com/defender.html

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/RogerTPA/GreymanDefender.jpg

I have one of the earlier versions of this knife, when he still called it a Darfur Defender. Good knife, but rough. I had to bark off the rough edges on the spine and grip panels with a coarse file. That said, it's bloody tough. This is a no-BS working knife.

Ouroborous
09-29-11, 10:51
Frost mora's are cheap durable survival knives I use frequently but the RAT-3 is my personal favorite.

shua713
09-29-11, 10:55
Ka Bar fighting knife

JohnnyC
10-08-11, 00:27
I've always been of the mindset that for the "one knife and one knife only" situation you're better suited to something like a cut-down machete, etc., along those lines. I like to be able to bang a rock down the spine to chop kindling if I have to, even cut down small limbs to fashion a lean-to, etc.

While I appreciate the handiness of a smaller knife for doing more precise work, when I'm up in the mountains there's really not a lot of precision cutting I have to do. Hell, you can even skin out a deer with a larger knife if you have to. It won't be pretty, but you can cut down some wood to cook said deer if you're using a larger knife with some heft and length to it. There's no way I could use my ZT350 in the same way as I can use a 6 dollar machete that's been worked over with an angle grinder and a belt sander. Of course the cut-down machete isn't very sexy.

just a scout
10-08-11, 21:41
I use a Randall RAT3 for my sheath knife, a Benchmade CQC-7 Tanto blade for pocket carry and a Leatherman Wave.

The RAT3 is nice, leave it mounted on my gear with the kydex sheath. A little short handle, but tough as nails, good utility size and fills my hand nicely. The Emerson and Wave? Nothing else needs to be said. Those are my EDC.

sadmin
10-08-11, 22:00
Like K.L. mentioned; the Blind Horse Knives shop turns out some really nice blades. I have a BushBaby, but im seriosly eyeballing the Woodsman Pro (http://blindhorseknives.com/woodsmanpro). My Marbles Bolo has taken such a larger role as of lately; Ive really come to appreciate a sharp machete in camp.

birdkiller
10-09-11, 18:52
For a general bushcraft, living off the land kind of knife, I love my mora classic 2. The scandi grind is just amazing. They are so easy to sharpen, strong, as long as you don't do anything stupid, and pretty comfortable. It is one of the cheapest knives I have, at less than $20 dollars shipped but I like it more than almost every other knife I have. I have been using a Blind Horse knives Frontier Valley with a bead blasted micarta handle and scandi grind at the last survival class I took and just general stuff. I find that here in the desert, there aren't many giant things that need to be baton, or chopped. So the small knife really shines. I think If I could only have one knife for the apocalypse/zombie/PHTF(poop hits the fan) situation you couldn't beat a Woodsman Pro by BHK. I was completely ready to jump on the band wagon for that knife, but I had decided not to buy and more knives for a year, and they didn't make it in scandi.
If they make the Woodsman Pro in scandi someday I will snatch one up.
From my experience, people tend to get to large of a knife for the job. Going out and hauling your gear, you tend to notice that your smaller knife, and more minimalist equipment (with a good skill set) can do most everything that the kitchen sink kinda person can do. Not to say that having tons of stuff ins't nice, but it sure does add weight, which my arthritic knees don't enjoy caring :cray:

Thanks,
Cole

Fairweather8588
10-10-11, 11:08
It would probably have to be my Blackbird SK-5 knife, 154CM steel with a 5 inch blade, full tang with micarta grips. Fits my hand perfectly and plenty durable

Nathan_Bell
10-11-11, 08:47
When you say "fullsize handle" what size do you consider fullsized? I ask as I have huge hands and too many of the blades I have handled are a bit weak on the grip area for me.
More worried about personal blood loss than getting the job done with these knives

No real do-all, maybe a do-most-everything though...

I carry three knives... a big knife, that is usually a cut down or short bladed machete. Not a lot of money in this, it is a chopper not much more; also a multi-blade folder or muli-tool, seems that I always keep going back to a SAK here, and the One Hand Trekker is my favorite; finally is the do-nearly-all blade that takes care of about 90% of tasks at hand.

Looking at the box of knives that I have to pick from, there is an underlying style that I seem to prefer, these include knives that tend to look like blades from ESEE, the Fallkniven F1, Cold Steel Master and Pendleton Hunter, BK&T blades, Dozier, DPx HEST and other blades from Landi, Bark River, Condor TK, Blind Horse and I am eyeing the work of Ray Ennis, Doug Ritter and our own B Goode.

Of course I am missing a lot of good knives from that list... I will add to my personal list to be sure.

The politics and divisiveness in the knife world is worse than that of the gun world, and I don't get all caught up in knives that are different just for the sake of being different. I tend believe that a quality piece of any one of several types of steel - when properly heat treated - will make a good blade, each has advantages and disadvantages.

Uber materials are something to look at for handle selection...

What I look for is a knife with a full sized handle, about a 4" blade, an understated drop-point, deep belly and no serrations or recurve to the edge - but that is just me.

What I have found out is that handles that feel amazing to grip in one hold, will be uncomfortable in other holds... versatility is key to me here, take a look at the knives used by folks that have been carrying a working blade as part of their culture for the last 600 years.

Keep in mind that the best warranty in the world means exactly jack shit if you can not take advantage of it.

You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get more than you pay for - that said, high cost does not equal high quality.

I have never heard anyone say "Wow, I am surprised this guy died... he has a really cool looking knife".

I guess this is pretty much like buying a handgun... figure out how much you want/can spend; make a list of viable knives, based on the choice of people you trust to know what they are doing (your ESEE and F1 is a great start!); figure out which ones on this list will do what you need and you feel comfortable with; buy that knife... plan on buying more after that.

MonteSmoke
10-11-11, 09:27
esee 6. i got one a while baack and love it, Reeves and others are great but i love my no questions ask life time warrenty.

http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-6.htm

Irish
10-15-11, 18:33
For around $110 retail I really like the look of the Benchmade Nim Cub II and may be ordering one in the near future. http://www.benchmade.com/products/147-148

Comparison between the Nim Cub II and RAT 3 http://youtu.be/hsWcc-ZfyNo

The full size Nimravus looks pretty slick as well for a full size.

ucrt
10-15-11, 22:51

The one knife would have to be a machete. Bulky but if I could only have one ... it would have to be a machete. Build shelter, defend yourself, dig, clean your fingernails...

I have a pre-1940 Collins machette that I am putting new handles on and getting a new sheath made. They are great forged blades.

But maybe it's just me...

Iraqgunz
10-23-11, 10:41
I have an old school Busse Combat 9 and I like it alot. I can easily split wood with it. It's is pretty easy to sharpen and doesn't weigh a ton.

My only complaint is the Kydex sheath isn't the greatest. I generally carry that knife or my Harsey-Reeve SF knife, plus I carry sometype of folder. Usually an Emerson of some sort.

HighSpeedDreams
10-23-11, 12:50
I typically use my Strider DB-L, but im getting really into the TOPS Xc EST Survival knife (and kit).

http://www.gpknives.com/images/tops/TPXCESTB-3[large].jpg

SeriousStudent
10-23-11, 13:23

My only complaint is the Kydex sheath isn't the greatest.

You may want to check out David at BuyBrown Holsters. IIRC, he has a Combat 9 for a pattern, so you would not need to ship the knife to him. His work is very highly regarded.

http://www.buybrownholsters.com/

If you prefer moodex over Kydex, Dwayne at Armoralleather is really good, and also has a large stock of Busse knives for patterns.

http://www.armoralleather.com/

I have several Busses, Swamp Rats and Scrap Yard knives, and think they are very well made. INFI is worth paying for.

Iraqgunz
10-23-11, 14:34
I forgot about David. He's in my neck of the woods as well. Thanks for the reminder.

You may want to check out David at BuyBrown Holsters. IIRC, he has a Combat 9 for a pattern, so you would not need to ship the knife to him. His work is very highly regarded.

http://www.buybrownholsters.com/

If you prefer moodex over Kydex, Dwayne at Armoralleather is really good, and also has a large stock of Busse knives for patterns.

http://www.armoralleather.com/

I have several Busses, Swamp Rats and Scrap Yard knives, and think they are very well made. INFI is worth paying for.

JohnnyC
10-23-11, 16:36
I've heard good things about his work but I tried contacting him about a holster he never got back to me so I ended up going elsewhere. I may have to ping him again.

SeriousStudent
10-23-11, 23:32
IG: Glad to help. I have a BuyBrown sheath for a RAT-3, and it's held up well.

JohnnyC: I have had the same experience with many folks that are in high demand. I think it's the nature of the beast. If they are really good, they are really busy. You may be able to reach him on the BladeForums website as well.

Kevin P
10-24-11, 10:24
Although I do believe in having multiple tools, the question was about having 1 blade. I would look into Swamprat knives. They are made from 52100 steel with Busse's heat treatment. The steel is super tough and holds a great edge. For the performance they offer they are a bargain.

Iraqgunz
10-26-11, 17:42
FYI- I contacted Dave and he took my order right over the net. He was very good about answering questions and I was told that it will be about 2 weeks for it. Since you are local to him, I would hit him up again.

I've heard good things about his work but I tried contacting him about a holster he never got back to me so I ended up going elsewhere. I may have to ping him again.

Irish
11-01-11, 16:03
Tom Halloran knives are definitely worth checking out if you haven't already. Some really good options for a one knife/do it all type of blade. http://www.halloranknives.com/

WillBrink
11-01-11, 16:27
What is your favorite field/bush knife? Call it a survival knife if you want... but regardless of price or availability, with no thought to CDI points, potential product placement royalties in your new TV series, or the unlikely circumstance of hand-to-hand combat with zombies - if you are going off the grid and can only have one knife with you, what is that knife?

Thanks!

Probably an Oberland 01 from Crusader Forge

http://www.crusaderforge.com/TACTICALCUSTOMFIXEDBLADESCF.htm

I had one and sold it. Too big for my uses, but if I could only have one as you said....I ended up however getting a smaller knife they make, the TCFM02, which I have been very happy with:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/G%20Art/P1060019.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/G%20Art/P1060015.jpg

jgg
11-03-11, 13:57
I like the Spyderco Schempp Rock. It's a steal for less than $150 delivered.

http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/med/FB20FBK_M.jpg

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=664

rickp
11-06-11, 09:20
Strider MT. Great knife. Holds a nice edge. Not cheap though.

masternave
11-19-11, 19:39
Another vote for Essee... I have the 5, the 3, and the izula. Amazing knives.

JackFanToM
11-19-11, 20:47
I really like the Ranger RD 6 as a solitary go to knife....strong enough to take whatever I throw at it, and can be used for a variety of things...batoning, digging, prying, stabbing, and slicing. Here are 2 pics comparing it to my USMC issued KaBar

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Picture20.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Picture19.jpg

As you can see they are similar in size, but the RD 6 has it beat in strength & durability.

The reality is that I carry 3 knifes on my load out, and I carry a Gerber paraframe for daily a use folder (used to carry more expensive knives, but when I lost my SOG I decided to keep my daily carry on the inexpensive side). My loadout has a Leatherman MUT, CRKT Ultima, and of course the RD 6.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Picture16.jpg

usmc1371
11-24-11, 01:52
I don't know if this would be the "one" but I have really been using and enjoying the spyderco mule's for the last couple years. Something about S90V that I really like, holds an edge, no rust, just an all around bad ass blade. Just starting to play with the M390 but so far I think its a keeper.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i365/usmc_1371/mule6.jpg
M390
S90v
hitachi super blue
ZDP-189

I don't know if this is the best all around blade shape but I have gutted and skinned many big game animals with the S90v blade and used it for camp chores. Works good enough for me.

SeriousStudent
11-24-11, 18:51
You, sir, are my hero! I do love those Spyderco Mules. :)

How do you like the Hitachi Super Blue? Have you seen any issues with brittleness, similar to what people have observed on some ZDP-189 blades? Not Spyderco in particular, but several other manufacturers.

Those ZDP-189 knives were quite finicky on the heat-treat. I was curious if the Super blue had the same narrow range on heat treatments.

And there is a guy making some nice Micarta bolt-on handles for the Mules. If you are interested, I can track down the info from a friend.

Again, good collection!

blake g
11-25-11, 09:36
If you want a rough-duty knife and don't want to spend a ton, or perhaps want multiples for different packs of locations, take a look at the Condor Hudson Bay. 9" of blade at 3/16", carbon steel and takes a wicked edge - I used mine to process a couple of deer this year just to prove a point, and at about $40 per not a great loss if you have to write one off...

blake

usmc1371
11-26-11, 00:58
I really haven't played with the super blue yet but I am not worried about it. I would use it for all the same cutting chores that I would use the S90V or M390 and not think twice about it. Now, the ZDP-189 is another story, I got one of the first ones shipped and it is overly hardend. If I flick the blade with my finger nail it sounds like a piece of fine crystal but it is the sharpest blade I have ever seen. Some day it may end up getting used in my kitchen but I don't think I would use it for field dressing big game. As I recall some of the early zdp mules were around 65rc maybe a touch higher. I read about a couple breaking while folks were putting scales on them. I am looking for some elk shed horns to cut up for scales on a couple of mine.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-26-11, 03:00
Ive come to realize that fighting knives are good for one thing; fighting. Before I left for this pump, I was working to hone my bushcrafting skills with a fixed 4" blade. They handle all small knife tasks, while being big enough to chop with a baton. When combined with my GB Hunters Axe, they are a terrific duo. A fighting knife can be used for fighting, but Ive never been in a knife fight. A bushcraft knife can be used for so many things, and Ive had to bush craft quite alot.

Irish
11-26-11, 12:08
I just purchased the ESEE - 3 from Knifeworks while their sales was going on. For the time being this will be my "do all" knife while I work on some bushcraft skills. I am on BGoode's list along with Tom Halloran for future knives.

K.L. Davis
11-28-11, 14:28
This one found its way into my hands about a week ago... overall it is a very practical size and shape - this on is a keeper.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=117&pictureid=2268

This is a pre-production model of the DPx (http://dpgear.com/) H.E.F.T. - one of the newer offerings from RYP

ra2bach
11-28-11, 14:43
This one found its way into my hands about a week ago... overall it is a very practical size and shape - this on is a keeper.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=117&pictureid=2268

which one?.. I don't see a thing in the original post but the link shows up in this reply. my problem with Firefox maybe but can you give us a little more detail?

also, I'd like to see this thread get back to the original intent. I see a lot of pictures of "other" use knives with the comment "this one is mine and I love it!" with no justification for the stated purpose.

I'm absolutely not picking on anyone in particular but do the posters really believe the knife they have shown is the ONE knife (not paired with an axe or backup knife) they would choose for an extended stay in the bush?

I find it hard to believe that a huge zombie hacker, or even an ESEE-3 with its 3 3/8" cutting edge (even as good a knife as that actually is) would be ideal for what we are defining as bushcraft. seems to me the ESEE 4, the longer/thicker -3 (by their own description), would be much better suited. the -3 just seems a natural if paired with the -6 but a little thin/small on its own...

Irish
11-28-11, 15:26
I find it hard to believe that a huge zombie hacker, or even an ESEE-3 with its 3 3/8" cutting edge (even as good a knife as that actually is) would be ideal for what we are defining as bushcraft. seems to me the ESEE 4, the longer/thicker -3 (by their own description), would be much better suited. the -3 just seems a natural if paired with the -6 but a little thin/small on its own...

How are you defining bushcraft? What do you think the ESEE 4 is capable of doing that the 3 can not do? I realize it's a shorter blade and not quite as thick which may hamper it's ability to be used to split wood/batoning but in my novice opinion I don't see it having many shortcomings when compared to the larger, heavier knife.

Also, just to clarify my post has nothing to do with defending my recent purchase. I'm simply trying to gain more insight and knowledge from those who are more skilled in this area.

JackFanToM
11-28-11, 20:19
OK, this isn't my usual thing to do, so pardon me if I come up short answering questions or clarifying things the correct way. SHTF one knife, well what this means to me is a knife you can run the gambit with, and it will continue to perform the obvious and less than obvious tasks a knife might need to perform. I, will for the sake of what I'm willing to do for the sake of demonstration, keep this to more normal uses of a knife in the field (chopping, batoning, slicing, digging, etc.).

Let's begin with what research I did prior to choosing this particular knife. The first thing I did was look into the old standbys in military knifes, and see what made them fall short. As an example we will use the most common, and one that is dear to my heart, the KaBar. The traditional KaBar is a really good knife in so may ways...it can do many necessary tasks, can hold its edge, and has been around for quite a while, but it lacks the strength and durability necessary to be a true workhorse tool. The lack of a true full tang, weaker thinner blade and point, leather handle rings, and the fact that the pommel is attached vs. being part of the blade itself. The KaBar is made from 1095 steel (same as the ESEE knives), but isn't a robust enough design to bank on in a pinch. This lead me to the ESEE line of knives, and where I couldn't find flaws with this line I just couldn't justify the added expense for fit and finish. I glanced at the Busse line, as they seemed to be the king of all knives when it comes to chewing through concrete, and taking obscene amounts of abuse, but they are ridiculously expensive, and the maker is constantly issuing short runs of knives to make them into collectors pieces (justify the pricetag). I dismissed these, as I am looking for a use and abuse tool, and the more I spend the last apt I am to beat on it (this is in my head, but still holds true). I looked at Cold Steel, Chris Reeves, and Randall's, and again they all had solid good points, and some that weren't so good (it seems Cold Steel has really good knives and really junk knives depending on what you buy and pay).

I found the Ranger series of knives (designed originally by Justin Gingrich). These knives come in a few style adaptations and sizes, they are made with 5160 spring steel, they are well put together but lack the fit and finish of an ESEE (micarta handles are ground down more on ESEE, handle screws are not countersunk, factory edge isn't perfect, no spacers in the handle). I watched the abuse tests on knifetest.com (In the event you plan to beat your knife handle with a sledge hammer or drive it to the hilt into something and let a 230lb man use it for a springboard, be prepared to replace it). I read up on the steel (what I found here is that the heat treatment is key...good steel with a bad heat treatment is a disaster waiting to happen). I carefully listened to other reviews- only bad things anyone says about the Ranger series is fit and finish, sheath, and the factory edge, so I said let's get one and see if it is the perfect tool for a standalone survival knife. I have been pleased thus far.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/Picture17.jpg
The knife arrives - as promised the sheath is junk, and designed to fit knives much longer, so it rattles around and is too damn big anyway (will discuss options here further, at a later point)

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/Picture19.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/Picture20.jpg
These 2 pictures show the RD-6 compared to USMC issued KaBar. The Ranger is thicker, wider, and shorter.

Shortly after getting the RD-6 I took my Spyderco Sharpmaker to it. I have the diamond hones and the ultrafine hones, so I went and re-profiled the blade with a 30 degree back bevel and sharpened it up until is could shave my arm without drag, and then polished the blade to remove as many fine scratches as possible.

The knife took a bit of effort to get this sharp...usually it can be done in 80 strokes or less, and this took upwards of 150, but well worrth the results.

Ok it's sharp, now what. I live in South Dakota, and we do not seem to have normal gun ranges....more like public land, shoot at your own risk. I took the RD-6 out with me on my last range trip (we had just gotten 14" of snow, so I waited 2 days for the sun to melt the majority off before I went out.

The only digital camera I own is on my iphone and the webcam, so I apologize for the photography, and since I was alone I couldn't do video. The first thing I did was baton a piece of railroad tie I found lying around. The knife split the roughly 4"x4" piece of wood in 2 strikes.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/923aa51a.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/501a8738.jpg

I expected this, and was not surprised. The railroad tie was frozen to the ground when I found it, and still was not much of a challenge.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/6a72071c.jpg
Someone left a golfball, so I said what the hell, and batoned it...one hit and the golf ball split.

I then went to town on a frozen stump...I hacked at the roots, stabbed it and twisted the tip trying to snap it, and I chopped at the frozen block of wood trying to chip or bend the edge.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/78730ebb.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/e853bf65.jpg

After I beat on the tree trunk for a bit I looked carefully at the edge (remember I did a 30 degree back bevel which made the edge much thinner), and there wasn't a nick, chip, or bend anywhere....it was still razor sharp, and was able to slice (not chop) through the halves of the golfball.

The sheath, well I shopped online and found a plethora of sheath makers....everything from leather, nylon, and kydex to weird hybrids of these. I decided upon a maker named Eric from OnSceneTactical.com

He had the largest selection of on hand knives (so I wouldn't need to send mine), and he offered both belt and molle attachments.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/4846e357.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/f53d493b.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/bf35bcac.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/5a4e1a21.jpg

Last item that I plan to mention is that I have spoken with Justin Gingrich since my purchase, as I wanted a few items customized on the blade (after using the RD-6 I decided I'm happy with it as is). Justin happily offered to do the customization, and told me that the items in question would be fairly inexpensive to perform (extra jimping, contour the micarta scales, add spacers, and countersink the handle screws). In the event you would like a knife customized, Justin has an excellent reputation for doing customization on his blades, and my experience was indicative of that.

Feel free to ask me any questions, and if you would like a specific pic (mind you my camera is an iphone) let me know. I hope this helps those that are looking for that "one" knife.

ra2bach
11-28-11, 21:31
How are you defining bushcraft? What do you think the ESEE 4 is capable of doing that the 3 can not do? I realize it's a shorter blade and not quite as thick which may hamper it's ability to be used to split wood/batoning but in my novice opinion I don't see it having many shortcomings when compared to the larger, heavier knife.

Also, just to clarify my post has nothing to do with defending my recent purchase. I'm simply trying to gain more insight and knowledge from those who are more skilled in this area.

going back to the original thread post - "What is your favorite field/bush knife? Call it a survival knife if you want... but regardless of price or availability... or the unlikely circumstance of hand-to-hand combat with zombies - if you are going off the grid and can only have one knife with you, what is that knife?"

this is an almost impossible question for me to answer as I normally have more than one blade with me everyday. I originally answered that I would have two knives but being referred back to, "...can only have one knife with you", I answered I think a 4.5"-5" is about ideal... but in my heart of hearts, I would still want to back that up with a small/light axe like the Fiskars or a big honkin' chopper. :D

in my (very) limited experience, I find a 3.5" blade very useful for everyday but not what I would choose based on the above. I have been in situations with my 4" blade where I wished for a little more blade and heft.

a 6" should easily handle all the tasks commonly associated with "bushcraft" (trail breaking, wood processing, shelter building, etc..) but is at the upper end for all the little tasks that need to be done on a daily basis.

the ESEE blades all have a choil with a shorter cutting edge than overall blade length and while I don't find this objectionable in a longer blade, it is the main reason I don't own a -3. I would much prefer this knife without the choil and a longer handle, and think it would be perfect as the smaller of a 2-knife set paired with the -6, or even the Junglass (if you really want to be able to face whatever's out there :eek: )

but rules is rules (as they say), so in keeping with spirit of the original question, if I was going off the grid with only one knife, it would probably be a Fallkinven A1, http://www.fallkniven.com/a1f1/a1_en.html
even though I believe the S1 http://www.fallkniven.com/S1new.html could do 90% of what the A1 can...

ra2bach
11-28-11, 22:00
OK, this isn't my usual thing to do, so pardon me if I come up short answering questions or clarifying things the correct way...

Feel free to ask me any questions, and if you would like a specific pic (mind you my camera is an iphone) let me know. I hope this helps those that are looking for that "one" knife.

excellent review. I think the Ranger knife you have is a RAT (Randall Adventure Training), correct? Did you mention the length?

I appreciate that you gave this knife a real world test and took the time to post it - not a total destruction test as the masked guys on kinfetest.com do - as entertaining and informative as that may be... :)

I've liked the RAT knives since before the Ontario/ESEE split and got a RAT5/D2 when I got a good deal on one. it was a little heavy for a 5" knife (though not as heavy as the ESEE-5) and the grip needed profiling as you mention, and the sheath sucked, but it was a workhorse, nonetheless. I sold it to a guy who obviously wanted it more than I did...

again, thanks for the review and I'd like to see the pics of your sheaths when you get them...

JackFanToM
11-28-11, 22:09
RAT knives and the Ranger series are similar, but different. The one in my picture is an RD-6 designating a 6" blade.

ra2bach
11-29-11, 00:36
RAT knives and the Ranger series are similar, but different. The one in my picture is an RD-6 designating a 6" blade.

yeah, saw that after I posted the question.

cool knife...

:cool:

Irish
11-30-11, 17:40
ra2bach - I received the ESEE 3 today and can really appreciate what you were saying in your post above. After inspecting the knife I think it's a quality piece, nice finish and SHARP!, and looks like a great size for more "everyday" type of tasks. I'm going to be exchanging it due to knifeworks sending me the wrong knife, I wanted rounded pommel and they sent glass breaker, and they were very helpful over the phone.

At this point in time I think I'll be ordering the ESEE 4. Slightly larger, a little more heft and should be a better size for a "do all" type of knife. My reasons for staying with the ESEE series is the fact that I like the price, availability and the warranty that the company offers. The bang for your buck factor with ESEE is up there at the very top from everything I've read.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/8688/esee3.jpg

Ironman8
11-30-11, 18:55
ra2bach - I received the ESEE 3 today and can really appreciate what you were saying in your post above. After inspecting the knife I think it's a quality piece, nice finish and SHARP!, and looks like a great size for more "everyday" type of tasks. I'm going to be exchanging it due to knifeworks sending me the wrong knife, I wanted rounded pommel and they sent glass breaker, and they were very helpful over the phone.

At this point in time I think I'll be ordering the ESEE 4. Slightly larger, a little more heft and should be a better size for a "do all" type of knife. My reasons for staying with the ESEE series is the fact that I like the price, availability and the warranty that the company offers. The bang for your buck factor with ESEE is up there at the very top from everything I've read.

I think you'll be much more happy with the 4...its the knife that I am most likely going to pick up once funds permit.

JackFanToM
12-01-11, 13:02
*Updated*
OK, this isn't my usual thing to do, so pardon me if I come up short answering questions or clarifying things the correct way. SHTF one knife, well what this means to me is a knife you can run the gambit with, and it will continue to perform the obvious and less than obvious tasks a knife might need to perform. I, will for the sake of what I'm willing to do for the sake of demonstration, keep this to more normal uses of a knife in the field (chopping, batoning, slicing, digging, etc.).

Let's begin with what research I did prior to choosing this particular knife. The first thing I did was look into the old standbys in military knifes, and see what made them fall short. As an example we will use the most common, and one that is dear to my heart, the KaBar. The traditional KaBar is a really good knife in so may ways...it can do many necessary tasks, can hold its edge, and has been around for quite a while, but it lacks the strength and durability necessary to be a true workhorse tool. The lack of a true full tang, weaker thinner blade and point, leather handle rings, and the fact that the pommel is attached vs. being part of the blade itself. The KaBar is made from 1095 steel (same as the ESEE knives), but isn't a robust enough design to bank on in a pinch. This lead me to the ESEE line of knives, and where I couldn't find flaws with this line I just couldn't justify the added expense for fit and finish. I glanced at the Busse line, as they seemed to be the king of all knives when it comes to chewing through concrete, and taking obscene amounts of abuse, but they are ridiculously expensive, and the maker is constantly issuing short runs of knives to make them into collectors pieces (justify the pricetag). I dismissed these, as I am looking for a use and abuse tool, and the more I spend the last apt I am to beat on it (this is in my head, but still holds true). I looked at Cold Steel, Chris Reeves, and Randall's, and again they all had solid good points, and some that weren't so good (it seems Cold Steel has really good knives and really junk knives depending on what you buy and pay).

I found the Ranger series of knives (designed originally by Justin Gingrich). These knives come in a few style adaptations and sizes, they are made with 5160 spring steel, they are well put together but lack the fit and finish of an ESEE (micarta handles are ground down more on ESEE, handle screws are not countersunk, factory edge isn't perfect, no spacers in the handle). I watched the abuse tests on knifetest.com (In the event you plan to beat your knife handle with a sledge hammer or drive it to the hilt into something and let a 230lb man use it for a springboard, be prepared to replace it). I read up on the steel (what I found here is that the heat treatment is key...good steel with a bad heat treatment is a disaster waiting to happen). I carefully listened to other reviews- only bad things anyone says about the Ranger series is fit and finish, sheath, and the factory edge, so I said let's get one and see if it is the perfect tool for a standalone survival knife. I have been pleased thus far.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/Picture17.jpg
The knife arrives - as promised the sheath is junk, and designed to fit knives much longer, so it rattles around and is too damn big anyway (will discuss options here further, at a later point)

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/Picture19.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/Picture20.jpg
These 2 pictures show the RD-6 compared to USMC issued KaBar. The Ranger is thicker, wider, and shorter.

Shortly after getting the RD-6 I took my Spyderco Sharpmaker to it. I have the diamond hones and the ultrafine hones, so I went and re-profiled the blade with a 30 degree back bevel and sharpened it up until is could shave my arm without drag, and then polished the blade to remove as many fine scratches as possible.

The knife took a bit of effort to get this sharp...usually it can be done in 80 strokes or less, and this took upwards of 150, but well worrth the results.

Ok it's sharp, now what. I live in South Dakota, and we do not seem to have normal gun ranges....more like public land, shoot at your own risk. I took the RD-6 out with me on my last range trip (we had just gotten 14" of snow, so I waited 2 days for the sun to melt the majority off before I went out.

The only digital camera I own is on my iphone and the webcam, so I apologize for the photography, and since I was alone I couldn't do video. The first thing I did was baton a piece of railroad tie I found lying around. The knife split the roughly 4"x4" piece of wood in 2 strikes.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/923aa51a.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/501a8738.jpg

I expected this, and was not surprised. The railroad tie was frozen to the ground when I found it, and still was not much of a challenge.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/6a72071c.jpg
Someone left a golfball, so I said what the hell, and batoned it...one hit and the golf ball split.

I then went to town on a frozen stump...I hacked at the roots, stabbed it and twisted the tip trying to snap it, and I chopped at the frozen block of wood trying to chip or bend the edge.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/78730ebb.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/Irene/e853bf65.jpg

After I beat on the tree trunk for a bit I looked carefully at the edge (remember I did a 30 degree back bevel which made the edge much thinner), and there wasn't a nick, chip, or bend anywhere....it was still razor sharp, and was able to slice (not chop) through the halves of the golfball.

The sheath, well I shopped online and found a plethora of sheath makers....everything from leather, nylon, and kydex to weird hybrids of these. I decided upon a maker named Eric from OnSceneTactical.com

He had the largest selection of on hand knives (so I wouldn't need to send mine), and he offered both belt and molle attachments.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/4846e357.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/f53d493b.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/bf35bcac.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/jackfantom/5a4e1a21.jpg

Last item that I plan to mention is that I have spoken with Justin Gingrich since my purchase, as I wanted a few items customized on the blade (after using the RD-6 I decided I'm happy with it as is). Justin happily offered to do the customization, and told me that the items in question would be fairly inexpensive to perform (extra jimping, contour the micarta scales, add spacers, and countersink the handle screws). In the event you would like a knife customized, Justin has an excellent reputation for doing customization on his blades, and my experience was indicative of that.

ra2bach
12-02-11, 00:15

or you could just order the -6 also... :D

actually, I have a lot of respect for ESEE knives and the -3 in particular, and if I carried a GTFOM (Git The Frank Off Me) on my belt or gear, that's what it would be - but with the rounded butt like you prefer...

I can't even imagine the exquisite pleasure of bending over wrong or falling on the sharpened glass break point on a -3Mil... :fie:

nonetheless, I think you're really like the -4. a little thicker, a little longer and enough, but not too much, handle for that size knife to wear well. I have the benefit of having a stocking dealer close to me and I go in to tell lies and FF their knives regularly. if I didn't have such an affinity for Fallkniven knives, I would have nothing but ESEEs in all sizes.

Irish
12-05-11, 17:44
I think you'll be much more happy with the 4...its the knife that I am most likely going to pick up once funds permit.

ESEE 4 landed on the doorstep today. Great customer service from knifeworks.com and fast delivery. For me this is a much better size for a "do all" type of knife than the 3. This may not be the end all be all knife for everyone but for my needs in the foreseeable future I think it's going to work out great.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9814/esee4.jpg

Wolf Spyder
12-28-11, 23:33
I have always carried a knife, but I am by no means a knife expert. For several years now I have carried at least one CRKT M16-14M. Most of the time I carry two. They are a Modified Tanto style folder. The blade is 3.875 inches long made from AUS-8 Stainless Steel. Granted they are not as sexy as owning a Strider or some of the other more expensive knives, but if you can find them for under $30 they are a great knife.

I have several of them. It was the largest folding knife any one on my Fire Department had seen, so they took to calling it the "Sword". I have used it to hack my way through interior walls from one room to the next. I have cut through car body metal in order to make a perch or anchor point when stabilizing a role-over to begin Extrication. I have killed countless Raccoons and Opossums using a CRKT M16-14M folder and a Surefire G2 LED. I use them to cut almost everything I need to cut.

All of that being said, I just got a SOG Gov-Tac for Christmas so we will see how it works out.

SIMBA-LEE
01-04-12, 12:28
My daily carry knife for years now is the CRKT M16-14Z four inch tanto double lock blade heavy duty folder. It has lightning fast one-hand opening and is really easy to keep sharp (I'm not usually good at sharpening knives, but this blade I can keep razor sharp for some reason).

I have a bunch of big bowies, but even when hunting or camping the $45 Carson designed M16-14Z is the knife I almost always take with me, backed up by a lightweight folding saw that I've found to be superior to a knife for building blinds, shelters, etc.

Dura Mater
01-09-12, 13:18
I'm not as picky about the brand or maker as I am about the style. Full tang carbon steel fixed blade around 4 inches in length. Oh, and it has to be field tested, any brand or maker can put out something that fails that's why it has to be one of these knives pictured. If it was the same one that someone else gave me I don't trust it.

This:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/koabushcraft/IMG_0168.jpg

This:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/koabushcraft/4.jpg

Or this:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/koabushcraft/IMG_3385.jpg

I can also make it by fine with this:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/koabushcraft/IMG_2649.jpg

or this:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/koabushcraft/IMG_2001.jpg

All share similar attributes.

steelonsteel
01-15-12, 15:53
http://i44.tinypic.com/f07r6s.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/10p13xx.jpg

I would take this before ANYTHING else. Probably wouldn't make the best jungle/swamp machete for clearing tall grasses - then again, I don't live in the jungle or swamp. batoning, fire making, animal cleaning, food prep, defense, prying, even pommel striking - it will do it all with ease.

And if you don't know, then you just don;t know ;-)

Armati
01-15-12, 18:34
I can also make it by fine with this:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/koabushcraft/IMG_2649.jpg

In truth, more actual survival has been done with this knife than any other high speed knife you can name. If this knife has ever failed anyone I would like to hear the story.

usmcvet
01-16-12, 19:14
I just bought an ESEE 5 I was surprised by the size. I have a few 5" fixed blade knives but this thing is HUGE.

It is in my back pack now, so is a spare leatherman :D. I need to find or buy another canteen cup to go with the new canteen cup stove I just picked up.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/D69FE58F-orig.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/C0468480-orig.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/730A8DFA-orig.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/3DAD0CB2-orig.jpg

hikeeba
02-02-12, 09:49
I need to visit this sub-forum more often. Great thread, Mr. Davis!

I really like the Ranger RD 6 as a solitary go to knife....strong enough to take whatever I throw at it, and can be used for a variety of things...batoning, digging, prying, stabbing, and slicing.

My choice is an Ranger RAK w/ micarta handles:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/_hikeeba_/edged%20tools%202/RangerRAK01.jpg

I always admired Justin's knives, but never got around to getting one. After Ontario began making Ranger Knives, I found a RAK on closeout, and gave it a try. Of all the knives I've used, the RAK really seemed to 'click' for me from the get-go. It was comfortable to use, and it worked well for me. Applying to the RAK what JackFanToM said above, I also appreciate the different grip options and it is easy to maintain.

The Ontario Ranger RAK has been the one fixed blade that has ridden in my commuter backpack every day for about the last two years. And since acquiring the RAK, my interest in acquiring/trying new knives has fallen off considerably.

My honorable mentions, each of which has also served as my one knife at one time or another:
- Cold steel Master Hunter (Carbon V)
- Becker Companion (Camillus version)
- Fallkniven F1
- Various Frosts/KJ Eriksson Mora knives
- Believe it or not, Becker Tac Tool (Camillus version)

Jason Falla
02-02-12, 12:30
I went through my SOF survival course using improvised tools and an M9 bayonet. This was a big eye opener into what I could get away with if I had to. From slaughtering animals, skinning, quartering, digging, whittling, spearing and fighting. All of this can be accomplished with the above mentioned tools.

What I took from this was that I did not need to have specific tools for specific situations. One tool could accomplish almost everything. The biggest consideration in a survival situation was being able to have a blade that was robust enough to chop branches in order to build either a shelter or man-traps and animal traps.

In my Civie time, I would venture out into the mountains of the Great Dividing Range in Australia and spend several days in the field living out of a rucksack and sleeping in bivie bags. I always carried a large field knife mostly for chopping wood and getting fires going.

It's a bit old school but I carried a Gerber LMF. This knife was a work horse. You could chop, hammer, whittle, stab, spear, fight whatever you wanted.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prods/lmf.jpg

Mate
02-02-12, 18:09
I would have to pick my BHK bushcrafter. I've been very impressed with this knife, and it comes with a very nice sheath and a very good flint also.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/USMC-to-be/CIMG2192.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/USMC-to-be/CIMG2191.jpg

Compared to the RAT 3 and Kiku Matsuda. This is my favorite blade size.http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/USMC-to-be/CIMG2195.jpg

91Bravo
02-03-12, 08:49
I vote for a Leatherman Wave unless skinning deer or needing something for combat. My daughter gave me a original Leatherman for fathers day 15 years ago and one hasn't been out of reach since.

Campbell
02-09-12, 16:41
I also used an old school Gerber LMF, took alot of abuse..gave it away.

Today I guess an Essee 4 or 5 would do. I like a medium blade with plenty of handle.

maximus83
02-10-12, 16:30
I updated my "one survival knife" recently to a mid-size, 5" blade: the Swamp Rat Ratmandu. Uses the SR101 steel, 3/16" thick, and the grip is beautifully shaped to fit your hand. I like the choil for choking up and doing detailed cuts. The coyote sheath is by Mashed Cat sheaths.

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz273/tlteebken/Knives/rmd-11.png

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz273/tlteebken/Knives/rmd-7.png

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz273/tlteebken/Knives/rmd-6.png

khc3
03-06-12, 15:10
What I took from this was that I did not need to have specific tools for specific situations. One tool could accomplish almost everything. The biggest consideration in a survival situation was being able to have a blade that was robust enough to chop branches in order to build either a shelter or man-traps and animal traps.

In my Civie time, I would venture out into the mountains of the Great Dividing Range in Australia and spend several days in the field living out of a rucksack and sleeping in bivie bags. I always carried a large field knife mostly for chopping wood and getting fires going.

What are your thoughts on carrying a hatchet for chopping, and a smaller general purpose knife?

$CashMoney$
03-17-12, 10:28
I am currently working with Justin Gingrich designing custom bushcraft knives for me and the wife. I'll keep anyone who's interested posted on progress.

SeriousStudent
03-17-12, 11:25
I am currently working with Justin Gingrich designing custom bushcraft knives for me and the wife. I'll keep anyone who's interested posted on progress.

Please do so. I'd be very interested in what you gentlemen come up with.

K9 jake
03-17-12, 12:55
I have found the glock field survival knife to be very durable. You can cut, saw, baton, dig, skin, pry, etc., and it locks into the polymer sheath with a solid click.
Check out the glock knives. You can own one for about $35, and they are very bulletproof.
I'm a knife guy, and I love the EESE KNIVES, and my leatherman wave, and CRKT, (esp. the partner 2003, and the big Carson M-16). I also have a couple of mora bushcrafts,
If I had to choose one, I'd go with a full tang RAT, or the glock.
( I hope I don't ever have to choose only one.)

cjnuckols50
03-19-12, 13:07
esee 6 or the CS srk right now..

Reagans Rascals
03-19-12, 13:13
Tom Brown Tracker

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/jwmassaro/TB1.jpg
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/jwmassaro/TB3.jpg

*not my pics

Voodoo_Man
03-19-12, 14:22
Tom Brown Tracker

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/jwmassaro/TB1.jpg
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/jwmassaro/TB3.jpg

*not my pics

that is a beast of a knife.

Irish
03-19-12, 14:32
that is a beast of a knife.

I could be wrong but I believe it's the knife featured in the movie The Hunted.

Reagans Rascals
03-19-12, 14:38

you are correct sir

IMO the one and only true "Survival" Knife... hosts of others that do the job fine... but wilderness survival is the Trackers bread and butter... what it was designed and purpose built to do... not just cutting or stabbing... but chopping, splitting, sawing, whittling, breaking... anything you may encounter in a survival situation from a downed helo to a bear attack....

Voodoo_Man
03-19-12, 14:39

http://www.topsknives.com/images/tbt010_add5.jpg

guess so.

fuuu I need

kozaki
03-19-12, 16:13

The knife in "The Hunted" was by Dave Beck, not T.O.P.S.

Irish
03-19-12, 16:19

And Ed Lombi hand crafted the original design, who cares? It's still the same basic knife that has had slight improvements made by each of the 3 makers. So in essence yes it was the same knife in The Hunted.

DoubleD396
03-19-12, 19:18
If I could have one and only one knife it would be my RAT-5.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/DaveDickman/rat-5-1.jpg

Reagans Rascals
03-19-12, 19:47

TOPS is a distributor.... they don't make it

DoubleD396
03-19-12, 19:55
TOPS is a distributor.... they don't make it

Why don't you fellas take your pissing match elsewhere!?

Back to the topic at hand!

Jim D
03-20-12, 10:31
you are correct sir

IMO the one and only true "Survival" Knife... hosts of others that do the job fine... but wilderness survival is the Trackers bread and butter... what it was designed and purpose built to do... not just cutting or stabbing... but chopping, splitting, sawing, whittling, breaking... anything you may encounter in a survival situation from a downed helo to a bear attack....

I know 2 of the guys who worked on the set of that movie, one of who worked with Tom Brown at his school for years.

All of them think that thing is a joke, and really just something flashy to put on the big screen. I sincerely doubt that even Tom Brown uses that thing himself when he teaches.

I've handled one of the prototypes to it, and it's just a beast that no-one wants to carry around with them. Someone who knows what they're doing can probably use a $10 Mora more effectively.

$CashMoney$
03-20-12, 21:01

Please do so. I'd be very interested in what you gentlemen come up with.

I started another thread with the status of my Gingrich knives here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1262366#post1262366

JB326
03-20-12, 21:54
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/shooter_john/beb98abd.jpg

I don't have a pic of it by itself, but this would likely be my "one knife" and my "one tool". It is a custom set that I had made by the Khukuri House of Nepal.

The knife is based on their Churi design, I just made a few cosmetic changes to make it match the Khukuri a bit better. That Khukuri is the single most valuable implement that I have ever had on a camping trip.

dahoeb
03-24-12, 17:20
I've got a Gerber LMF II. It's comfortable and easy to handle and I think it'd get me through 99%+ of situations I can think of. But with that being said, I'm not the most knowledgable knife officiando around.

Ranger325
03-24-12, 19:07
Randall Model 18 - 7 1/2".

Me too, since 1980........ Although I also have a RAT 3 (before they were EESE) on my survival kit.

ZoneOne
04-02-12, 11:09
I know 2 of the guys who worked on the set of that movie, one of who worked with Tom Brown at his school for years.

All of them think that thing is a joke, and really just something flashy to put on the big screen. I sincerely doubt that even Tom Brown uses that thing himself when he teaches.

Every class I took he was using one. But it's big and a lot of people want something a little smaller that's why they developed the smaller models.

Jim D
04-02-12, 14:47
Every class I took he was using one. But it's big and a lot of people want something a little smaller that's why they developed the smaller models.

Good to know, I have trained with Tom but I wouldn't have guessed that.

Thanks for clearing that up.

ZoneOne
04-03-12, 16:05
Good to know, I have trained with Tom but I wouldn't have guessed that.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I personally think it's a great knife. Do I carry it everyday? Hell no, but if I was headed out into the woods and had no idea when I was returning, it would be on my belt.

I've chopped a lot of wood with it and built a lot of traps, it serves its purpose quite well.

I've never owned or handled the smaller versions but I feel like they would be equally adequate and possibly better suited for some. I find the size of the T1 Tracker knife to be good for its purpose.

DTHN2LGS
04-04-12, 12:53
Me too, since 1980........ Although I also have a RAT 3 (before they were EESE) on my survival kit.

And I have an ESEE 3mil too. Great minds think alike. :meeting:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-06-12, 08:12
Im not sure if I posted this yet, so here goes:

I recently had Matt from ML Knives make me a custom Kephart along the same lines as the original Kephart. I asked that the hilt be given another .5", that he include a small ferro rod loop, and that he use some beautiful tiger maple on the scales. I wasnt super happy with the sheath, it works for its intended purposes, but I may have another more clean looking sheath made.

I have been trying to get away from carrying fighting knives in the wild, and this fit the bill. Ive also wanted to get back to my roots and back into bushcrafting, and I think this knife will help me do so.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/GrantsCustomKephart.jpg

shua713
04-06-12, 10:06
at first I said ka-bar, but upon looking at my knifes, I would probubly take the Gerber LMF II

Lee D
04-06-12, 12:06
the Camillus made BK2 ive had (and actually used) for years. alotta knives on this thread look NIB

SilverTongueDevil
04-15-12, 17:54
Since it has to be a knife and not machete which would be my first choice no matter the terrain or situation basically.
Would be my Cold Steel Kukri 13 inch Machete its knife like just wished it had a better sheath...
Ive used it more than any knife Ive ever owned except kitchen knives and pocket knifes..

Its got all the chopping power and thrusting ability of blades of larger size. One can just palm the blade and use it like a skinner or as a smaller blade.. The steel takes and edge with ease.

The only down sides is its a light, big, fast,and cheap its not great for prying and its sheath sucks, But all those are also its greatest strengths.

But to each there own...
I own many blades and plan on never truly being limited to just one..
Love many of the blades others have posted..

kingsford
04-25-12, 11:04
My trail knife, my hunting knife, my one knife is the one I have depended on it for over forty years, my issued 5" K-bar. I have cut wire, gutted deer, chopped kindling, sliced meat, opened coconuts and C-rations, skinned a couple of hogs. And it holds an edge. I would stake my life on it. Once I even used it as a tent peg.

Redmanfms
08-26-12, 12:31
Randall 14 or 15.

STG77
09-03-12, 16:30
How about the IMBEL knives?

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/68629209.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/75d4e47c.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP42UHczjJI

Odglock
09-17-12, 08:14
Another vote for ESEE 4. I have a Randall, a busse a few kabars, LMF2 but that ESEE is the best bang for the buck. I am going to get the 5 or 6 next.

WillBrink
09-17-12, 09:23
Another vote for ESEE 4. I have a Randall, a busse a few kabars, LMF2 but that ESEE is the best bang for the buck. I am going to get the 5 or 6 next.

I'd like to get the ESEE 3 myself. They almost have too many models/choices to choose from...Who has the best prices?

kdcgrohl
09-17-12, 12:27
I'd like to get the ESEE 3 myself. They almost have too many models/choices to choose from...Who has the best prices?

http://www.the-knife-connection.com/eseeknives.html
*No affiliation other than satisfied customer.

WillBrink
09-17-12, 14:15

Thanx :cool:

sarge1967
09-17-12, 17:44
I would have to say my ESEE 6. I own a 3, a 4 and an Izula as well. They are all great blades. The 6 sheath options are best though. I have the MOLLE attachment and pocket attachment on the sheath. It holds an Altoids tin perfect. Got some survival stuff stored in the tin. Great system.

bigghoss
09-18-12, 22:05
Of the knives I own my Becker BK9 is probably the most versatile. With a little work on the edge my cold steel kukri machete is pretty good but isn't going to work well for more delicate tasks. The BK9 might not be great for small stuff but it's manageable enough that you could make do. My BK2 is also a great knife and I was fond on my cold steel bowie bushman.

I really don't think only having one knife is a good idea, I usually try to have a two or three blade system.

jyo
09-22-12, 02:50
I went with the Fallkniven A1---does damn near everything---A2 if A1 is not big enough!

Dave L.
10-02-12, 13:55

Any idea why the ESEE 5-series costs more than the 6-series?

sarge1967
10-02-12, 19:16
Any idea why the ESEE 5-series costs more than the 6-series?

It is almost twice as thick as the ESEE 6. I think it weights close to 2lbs. It is one beefy knife. It is great for cutting yourself out of an aircraft if it goes down but when it comes to finer tasks such as slicing, wood work and general field duty an ESEE 4,6 or even a 3 will serve you better.

Dave L.
10-03-12, 01:10
[/INDENT]]It is almost twice as thick as the ESEE 6.

Makes sense. Thank you.

fotomaker57
12-31-12, 21:21
If I had to grab just one to survive with it will be my Becker BK2. Not the best for carving but will do in a pinch. Making traps, shelter, wood cutting it will get the job done and is damn near indestructible

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/fotomaker57/KNIVES/BK2WITHMICARTASCALES6_zps476becbc.jpg

kontroledkaos
01-05-13, 07:34
I would grab my BRKT Bravo 2

Kline11B
01-05-13, 12:30
My vote would be the Esee 4, probably my favorite blade i have ever owned.

fotomaker57
01-05-13, 21:48
My vote would be the Esee 4, probably my favorite blade i have ever owned.

Love my ESEE 4

Pilot1
01-05-13, 22:01
I have a few knives from Rat Cutlery (now ESEE), Fallkniven, Swamp Rat/Scrap Yard, and they are all stellar knives for this purpose and others. However, I keep coming back to the Bark River Bravo-1. At 4.25 inches, it does most fieldcraft/survival chores, while not being to unwielding.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/TwoRiversKnives/barkriverbravo1greenmicartabrnleather.jpg

DiabhailGadhar
01-26-13, 20:06
I have three that I go between..at work..Marine... I carry an Emerson Super CQC-7 works great for that application..once I get home and in civies I carry an Emerson Commander that was given to me by my MSgt its beet to hell and I love it...cant wait for my 7 to look like it..but if I had to just grab one go to knife it would be my ESSE-6 with it being a good sized fixed blade it just really isnt practical for me to have everyday but if SHTF that would def be on my person.

LMT Shooter
01-26-13, 21:56
My old and semi-well used Cold Steel SRK in Carbon V steel.

Why only one knife? I feel kinds naked with only one knife

Maineshooter
01-28-13, 21:45
Picked up an Ontario Blackbird SK5 about a year ago. I absolutely love it. It's no frills - just a rugged knife with a one piece tang, micarta handles and a spear point. Very tough knife and it takes a wicked edge.

ariesfromhell
02-16-13, 06:24
Mora Robust series is a GREAT all purpose blade. Make it with a full tang and ill buy them all. :D

BLINDFIRE
02-23-13, 00:18
If I had to grab just one to survive with it will be my Becker BK2. Not the best for carving but will do in a pinch. Making traps, shelter, wood cutting it will get the job done and is damn near indestructible

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/fotomaker57/KNIVES/BK2WITHMICARTASCALES6_zps476becbc.jpg

Mine is identical! The Micarta grips are definitely needed, as the factory grips tend to get a little slick when my hands start sweating. I also removed the nylon belt loop and added a tek-lock system to the sheath.

fotomaker57
02-23-13, 21:30
Mine is identical! The Micarta grips are definitely needed, as the factory grips tend to get a little slick when my hands start sweating. I also removed the nylon belt loop and added a tek-lock system to the sheath.

Here is the sheath I made for mine

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/fotomaker57/LEATHER%20WORK/BK-2LEATHERSHEATH1.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/fotomaker57/LEATHER%20WORK/BK-2LEATHERSHEATH.jpg

BLINDFIRE
02-24-13, 08:56
That's pretty nice! I haven't thought about a new sheath yet. I have a buddy that does leather work. I did add a lanyard (using paracord) to my knife and attached a little emergency kit (Altoid can) using ranger bands. I'll try and get some pics up today.

fotomaker57
02-24-13, 13:55
That's pretty nice! I haven't thought about a new sheath yet. I have a buddy that does leather work. I did add a lanyard (using paracord) to my knife and attached a little emergency kit (Altoid can) using ranger bands. I'll try and get some pics up today.

I did the same to mine when I first got it. I just love the look and feel of leather so changed mine up.

soulezoo
02-25-13, 18:39
While earlier in the thread I professed love of Fallkniven, I will admit to having an original Buckmaster, some 26 years old or so, still unused.

domestique
03-05-13, 04:39
Full disclosure: I am not an educated knife guy, and never having owned anything more expensive than a couple Emerson folders, I cannot justify a $400-1,000 sheath knife for down and dirty everyday work.

Knives are hard use items for me. I would cry if I broke a $400.00+ custom knife while in the outdoors. For fixed blades I have had good success with SOG Seal Pup Elites. They keep a relatively good edge and at $60.00, I wouldn’t be devastated if I broke one.

$CashMoney$
03-05-13, 07:50
Full disclosure: I am not an educated knife guy, and never having owned anything more expensive than a couple Emerson folders, I cannot justify a $400-1,000 sheath knife for down and dirty everyday work.

Knives are hard use items for me. I would cry if I broke a $400.00+ custom knife while in the outdoors. For fixed blades I have had good success with SOG Seal Pup Elites. They keep a relatively good edge and at $60.00, I wouldn’t be devastated if I broke one.

My two custom GTIs have lifetime guarantee, no questions asked. So if I do break one, it's just a matter of a few weeks until the new one is in a box waiting for me on the porch. So I don't feel bad about the price that I paid for them. Now I just have to get them a little dirty!

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r495/BillTomlin/DSC00297.jpg

Ironman8
03-05-13, 08:08

I second the SOG Seal Pup Elite. Great value for the money. Have had one for a long time and have used it fairly hard. Skinned plenty of game. Very light and ergonomic. Keeps a decent edge. But the only reason I would replace it is to get a carbon steel blade with a different profile...which is why:

I would like to eventually replace it with an ESEE 4 in the near future. Everything I've heard points to that being slightly better...for about $20-30 more.

plk1222
03-06-13, 11:32
Esee-6 the thing is a hoss.

run&gun
03-06-13, 12:07
One knife means that it will do everything poorly.Gotta be a Swiss army knife or leatherman. Depends if I pick my teeth and get splinters more then I need pliers.

I don't thing the OP meant the knife you want to be buried with.

usmcvet
03-06-13, 13:20
Here is the sheath I made for mine

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/fotomaker57/LEATHER%20WORK/BK-2LEATHERSHEATH1.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/fotomaker57/LEATHER%20WORK/BK-2LEATHERSHEATH.jpg

Beautiful Sheath!

usmcvet
03-06-13, 13:25
I went through my SOF survival course using improvised tools and an M9 bayonet. This was a big eye opener into what I could get away with if I had to. From slaughtering animals, skinning, quartering, digging, whittling, spearing and fighting. All of this can be accomplished with the above mentioned tools.

It's a bit old school but I carried a Gerber LMF. This knife was a work horse. You could chop, hammer, whittle, stab, spear, fight whatever you wanted.

No high speed training here but I had a Gerber BMF the thing was huge! It was stolen back in '90 by some dirtbag right before I deployed.

reaver22
03-14-13, 15:57
I recently switched from my BK2 to a Esee 5 I got from my brother as a gift and couldnt be happier.

Steel
05-23-13, 16:32
Bill Seigle Kukri

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Steel85/IMAG0116_zps3aeacf21.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Steel85/media/IMAG0116_zps3aeacf21.jpg.html)

ESEE Lite machete.(It's the one of the far left)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Steel85/IMAG00042.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Steel85/media/IMAG00042.jpg.html)

Either one of these would work for me. I prefer to have at least 3 cutting tools with me though. Large chopper or machete, small fixed blade with a 3-4" blade and a small folder of some kind.

NeoNeanderthal
05-23-13, 17:06
Easy day. Mora Knife.

Tough day. Custom MPSS ESK knife (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Maine+primitive+skills+school+extended+survival+knife&um=1&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&hl=en&biw=1344&bih=564&tbm=isch&tbnid=r2VmCgONYnOpkM:&imgrefurl=http://www.knivesby.com/grayknives/kniveslist-available.html&docid=jyJ09RBarspERM&imgurl=http://www.kynd.com/~graydg/esk8-18-07.JPG&w=700&h=298&ei=n5KeUYrKEqPu0gHRyoCIBA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:1,s:0,i:89&iact=rc&dur=468&page=1&tbnh=146&tbnw=332&start=0&ndsp=11&tx=257&ty=43). Did some of the testing on this knife myself and absolutely love it.

madisonsfinest
05-23-13, 20:23
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/MaDiSoNsFiNeSt/IMG_8196_zps1cd275e3.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/MaDiSoNsFiNeSt/media/IMG_8196_zps1cd275e3.jpg.html)

Augustus
06-12-13, 22:53
ESEE 4, but just one knife is a real limitation for any survival situation I can think of.
Von

SURVIVORTYPE
07-03-13, 02:24
I have owned a few BHK's in the past and just wanted to give a heads up to anyone considering a great American made knife that is hard to beat for value. This is July's special run. I always like the Mors Kochanski recommended/woodlore style woods knife and I think this one is phenomenal for the price. I have a Bushcrafter from BHK and beat the living hell out of it and it has served me well when I am in the woods. Between the Bushcrafter and a Winkler field knife this knife might be a new favorite. Might have to wait a while to get it but got it on order.

http://www.blindhorseknives.com/july13.htm

As of right now Winkler Field knife is my go to with the BHK Bushcrafter not far behind. Still want to try out others that are on the wishlist but some builders are backed up for years and counting.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-28-13, 21:22
Esee 5. Seems doomsday ready.

ra2bach
08-07-13, 13:13
Bill Seigle Kukri

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Steel85/IMAG0116_zps3aeacf21.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Steel85/media/IMAG0116_zps3aeacf21.jpg.html)

ESEE Lite machete.(It's the one of the far left)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Steel85/IMAG00042.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Steel85/media/IMAG00042.jpg.html)

Either one of these would work for me. I prefer to have at least 3 cutting tools with me though. Large chopper or machete, small fixed blade with a 3-4" blade and a small folder of some kind.

do you find the machete chops as good as the kukri?..

Guns-up.50
08-07-13, 15:41
Nothing fancy for me, good old U.S.M.C knife assisting browning automatic rifle

ra2bach
08-13-13, 10:47
as I think and read about this more, a question for discussion comes to me - what's the difference between a "bushcraft" and "survival" knife?..

bushcraft, as it seems to me, is involved with doing "crafty" things in the out of doors and involves a more dextrous tool. smaller knives in the 3"-5" range are often cited as being ideal. this is why many people pair these with a larger knife/axe/saw.

"survival knife" suggests a single knife that can do all things needed to survive, whether it's breaking trail, building primitive shelter or tools, processing wood for fire, or food for eating, etc.. I think it's understood that this knife is going to be a compromise in that by being able to do all things , it won't be able to do anything particularly well. some people shade toward huge knives that can easily chop or split wood, and others prefer smaller, handier knives.

I feel the defining characteristic of a survival knife is the ability to break down wood, to get at the dry interior to create kindling in a rainstorm, or to create shelter.

so my question is, is this a legitimate definition and does this change the discussion?..

Rockhopper
08-14-13, 01:07
Enzo Trapper