PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain TI Rear Battle Sight?

mcpdcrash
11-08-07, 19:36
I feel like an idiot asking this question but given that I'm brand new to AR-15 style rifles I guess there is only one way to de-idiot myself, and that's by asking questions.

I bought the S&W M&P15T, which comes with TI Folding Front and Rear Battle Sights. The rear sight has dual apertures, one being smaller than the other. What is the purpose of the dual apertures? Also, is it just my sight or is the adjustment wheel really difficult to move on all TI sights?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Shihan
11-08-07, 20:00
The aperatures are for different distance.

mcpdcrash
11-08-07, 21:10
That is what I suspected. So, is the large aperture for closer work and the smaller one for distance?

RD62
11-08-07, 21:35
That is correct. Typically the larger is for 0-200m.

-RD62

mcpdcrash
11-09-07, 01:35
Thanks, RD62.

toddackerman
11-09-07, 17:46
Look here: http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.

If you sight in dead on at 50 yds., you will be pretty close to dead on at 200 yds. which is the longest I personally would use a carbine without magnified optics. It's really hard to see any small Minutes of Angle at 200 yds. Hitting a
10" plate on a regular basis is pretty good with an iron battle sight.

III
11-09-07, 18:32
There was an army test with our 300m sight that found no increased accuracy with the small aperture at these distances but a user preference can give a person more confidence and increased performance even if it is just mental.

UPSguy
11-10-07, 02:48
The aperatures are for different distance.correct me if I am wrong, but the Troy is a same plain sight. The two apertures are not set up for different distances, just 2 different sight pictures.

TWR
11-10-07, 04:48
You are correct, I've found the larger apeture better for low light situations but they are on the same plane with the Troy.

MX5
11-12-07, 06:50
Typically, the way your eye tends to focus when looking through an aperture, the actual size of the opening really has little practical effect on shooting at distance for the intended purpose of a carbine. The most noticeable difference is the ability to acquire a rapid sight picture in varying light conditions. However, that aside, shooters have individual preferences that they feel makes them better, more confident, etc. YMMV

markm
11-12-07, 07:12
Also, is it just my sight or is the adjustment wheel really difficult to move on all TI sights?

It's supposed to be that way so your sight adjusments are not unintentionally lost.

WS6
11-12-07, 11:16
I am not sure about the TI sights and I belive they may be on the same plane due to another above post. So if that is so, this is just FYI, but on the A2, when you have 2 different aperatures flipping them changes your zero. The small aperature, when properly zeroed for 3/8 with the elevation wheel bottomed out, will of course have you hitting at 300. If you flip to the large aperature your zero is now set at 200. Hence if you take a shot at something at 100m, you wont be 5-7" high, at least that is what the manual says.

Grendelizer
11-14-07, 00:24
First, yes, the detent on the adjustment wheel on mine is rather stiff and makes turning it difficult.

Second, and this may be just me, but at a given distance I shoot better with the smaller aperture. Much better, actually, with the difference in being able to pick off shotgun hulls at 25 yards a majority of the time with the small aperture, versus random luck with the large aperture. YMMV.

John

ST911
11-14-07, 10:45
My observations on small vs. large aperture:

Novice to average shooters shoot better with the small than large, due to reduced opportunity for it's greater potential for some consistency.

Above average shooters show little to no difference.