PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose my malf?

samuse
09-04-11, 19:12
I searched but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I had a malf loading the first round in my Le6920 today at a match. Loading the gun was a timed part of the stage, so it cost me.

The bolt was locked to the rear, I had 30 rounds loaded in a fairly new NHMTG with green follower. Ammo was PMC 62gr green tip.

I stuck the mag in and hit the bolt release, gun did not fire. I assumed I the mag wasn't seated, so I tapped the mag and pulled the charging handle again.

I had a big mess goin' on in the upper at this point :haha:.

The bolt somehow closed on the first round with the lugs crimping the case right behind the shoulder. When I tried to load it again, the second round ended up with the bullet sticking out of the ejection port.

It seems like that type of malf is usually a short-stroking issue, but this was loading from an open bolt.

Bad mag, follower, maybe the bolt slammed shut early?

What do ya'll think?

Tweak
09-04-11, 19:39
things happen

fixit69
09-04-11, 20:44
things happen

I would have used another word, but tweak is right. Sometimes, it just does.

Did you check the mag? The follower? I wouldn't think early slam, but things happen.

09-04-11, 22:08
trying loading 28 rounds in the mag to take some pressure of the BCG

shootist~
09-04-11, 22:21
What you had is not all that uncommon starting with 30 in a mag - especially a new one; 28 is just more reliable. Was the last round in the mag on the right side or the left? Left side means you probably had 31 in the mag.

jmart
09-04-11, 22:40
A mag or ammo or feed ramp problem. You stated the bolt was locked to the rear and it failed to chamber a new round from a fresh mag when you reelased the bolt using the bolt release. Maybe downloading a couple would ease the strain on the mag spring/mag feed lips and allow a fresh round to chamber.

Did the first round get hung up on the feed ramp? Do you encounter any feed issues when the weapon is cycling from firing?

samuse
09-04-11, 22:52
The gun runs fine. About 3400 rounds through it, it's had a few double feeds but I isolated that to a magazine.

Maybe I'll have to start downloading to 28.

Top round definitely on the right.

Peanut
09-05-11, 00:19
Since the gun has been working fine prior to this event, are you sure that the lower bolt lugs were being held on the bolt catch?

I have seen people lock the bolt to the rear and it was held open on the front edge of the BCG instead of the bolt. When they inserted the mag and ran the bolt forward, it caused the same markings on the case. When they performed IA, it looked like a yard sale going on inside the upper receiver.

Just a thought from my experience and how you explained your situation.

Iraqgunz
09-05-11, 03:57
Take that same magazine, load it to 28 rounds and try it several times. Then try it with 30. Tweak put it simply- things happen. It's quite possible this was isolated. Sometimes when you load to 30 rounds the mag is maxed out and the rounds are very tight.

Failure2Stop
09-06-11, 11:10
I put a high degree of needed certainty that the first round chambers and is ready to go. Unless I am conducting an emergency reload I watch the bolt close as I depress the bolt release or release the CH. I might lose 1/5 to 1/2 of a second, but I have a high degree of certainty that the first round will go bang.

IMO- putting an administrative action (such as loading and making ready) on the clock is unnecessary.

CAVDOC
09-06-11, 12:43
I like to pull and relase the charging handle rather than using the bolt catch- the extra bit of spring compression you get this was seems to load better for me. you could make an argument the resistance of the bolt having to force the charging handle forward mitigates the extra leverage you get using this method, but it has always worked for me. ditto on the download bu a round or two especially with new mags

samuse
09-06-11, 14:12
I like to pull and relase the charging handle rather than using the bolt catch- the extra bit of spring compression you get this was seems to load better for me. you could make an argument the resistance of the bolt having to force the charging handle forward mitigates the extra leverage you get using this method, but it has always worked for me. ditto on the download bu a round or two especially with new mags

Yeah I normally do too, but sometimes people come up with some "creative" shit to do at a match:ph34r:, I wasn't real convinced on loading to 28, but from the advice in this thread, I think I'm gonna start downloading the mags on my belt.