PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Weights

bcs135
09-04-11, 20:16
I'm building my first AR and would like to make a well balanced rifle, keeping the weight rear of the mag equivalent to the weight forward of the mag. I think this would make for nice handling to the rifle, from my experience with hunting rifles a well balanced gun i essential to quick sight acquisition. one of the major components, the barrel i can't find the specs for. I'm looking at a Daniel Defense 16" barrel and trying to decide on whether to get a heavy or light barrel.
So I'm wondering if anyone knows the weights of these barrels. i don't want to by the wrong one and find i have a front heavy rifle.

Tweak
09-04-11, 20:39
what kind of stock?

jet80tv
09-04-11, 22:19
I've got a DD chf 16" M4 barrel(carbine length gas)with a MOE stock and it is very well balanced but I don't know the exact weight. It's the regular profile under the handgaurd not lightweight.

Durham68
09-05-11, 00:06
I have a BCM 14.5" LW middy wearing MOE handguards and a detachable carry handle on top of a lower wearing an ACE entry stock. This combo balances right in the center of the magwell. The ACE stock and the carry handle add some extra weight to the rear compared with other carbines I've owned. If you are looking for it to balance at the magwell I don't see how you could have anything other than a lightweight barrel.

bcs135
09-05-11, 08:36
@Tweak
Its a magpul acs stock, I know some of the magpul stocks you can add weight to but I'm also trying to keep weight down.
@Durham68
That is what I was thinking but jet80tv says his balances well with a standard barrel. But my end setup maybe different than his kind of why I wanted some data so I can get a rough estimate of the total weight

I was kind of leaning toward the lw just for weight saving to make a nice light cqb but I like the extra stability and heat distribution a standard barrel would add.

Appreciate the input, probably should contact dd for spec I kind of find it funny this is the only spec they don't have for their barrels.

MistWolf
09-05-11, 14:48
Nearly all the ARs I've handled balance right about the forward edge of the magwell, unloaded and without anything mounted to the forearm. I have a 20" precision rifle with UBR stock that balances there. So does my buddy's Colt M4 and all of my brother's carbines, give or take an inch.

If you assemble a 16" carbine with a lightweight barrel, MOE or CTR stock and a Troy Extreme or lightweight carbon fiber forearm, you'll have a rifle that is very close to what you want. If you want the CG shifted even further to the rear, check out the UBR stock. It's heavier and more expensive and I don't think it's really needed for this application.

Also, keep your muzzle device as light as possible, or even eliminate it.

(A loaded magazine will not have much effect on CG as it's pretty close to the CG)

bp7178
09-05-11, 15:51
http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-upper-receiver-weight-comparisons

You can compare upper receiver weights here.

The Magpul UBR stock will shift the balance to the rear of the gun.