PDA

View Full Version : Running a chest rig

Loner
11-08-07, 19:45
So I finally got my chest rig, an ATS M4 modular chest harness, couldn't be more pleased. My question now is how do you normally run yours? Do you need to tighten the waist strap like a belt? How high do you ride the rig? Does the rig need to feel snug and tight on your body?

IrishDevil
11-08-07, 21:05
I run my ATS as high as I can and be comfortable drawing mags. I don't snug mine up that much, just so it stays put. The other reason for wearing it higher up is so that it clears my beltline, so it's easier to draw my pistol mags and clear my handgun. I've only ran it in 2 matches so far, currently it has one Eagle M4 FB pouch to the left of my centerline. Also, I have one double pistol mag pouch on the right of my centerline. The pistol mags on my chest are for filling the pouches on my belt, and not intended as speed reloads. I'm on the skinny side, so I leave the sides bare so as not to interfere with my draw and reloads from the beltline. The real test will come January when I attend the Vickers 3 Day pistol/carbine class, I'm sure something will change. ATS products are of great quality, I really like my chest rig and my war belt.

rob_s
11-08-07, 21:39
Mine rides like this
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/EAG%20Tactical/DSC05207Small.jpg

RD62
11-08-07, 21:41
I just got my Eagle M4 chest rig and like IrishDevil and Rob_s it is on my chest not around my stomach as to clear the pistol mags and single rifle mag on my belt on the left and my belt mounted pistol on the right. Waist strap snug but not tight. So far mine only has the three built in mag carriers on the rig, but I may add a few pistol pouches for filling the belt ones and a multi-tool and light pouch. So far I like it light and simple. I'm more used to running gear on the belt from my LE days. It feels familiar, muscle memory and all....

The rig will be going through a Pat Rogers class in a few weeks, hope to ring it out then.

-RD62

BushmasterFanBoy
11-12-07, 22:32
I run my chest rigs low and around gut level. I find this lends itself to the most natural hand motions during a reload. The waist is not belt-tight, a tad looser to allow a bit of play, but not enough to let the rig flop around. My reasons for such a low rig is that my belt carries nothing at waist level, my dump pouch and my 6004 both ride high on my thighs, easily clearing the chest rig when at gut level.

toddackerman
11-14-07, 16:02
I run my Eagle M4 chest rig pretty much in the middle of my torso. The waist strap rides just above my kidneys. I cinch the waist strap tight enough so that the rig doesn't ride up during movement or while withdrawing mags.

I have mounted a double MOLLE 1911 pistol Mag Pouch on the left side at the far bottom left side of the rig. I have tried it higher and closer to the M4 Mags, but have found that it interferes with my "Beer Can Grip" when going for the
M4 Mag. Others that use the Ranger Plate loop don't seem to have this issue.